• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

Orayn

Well, if done properly, 4k TVs should theoretically allow for perfect pixel scaling from a 1080p source. That will prevent any upscaling blur which is ultimately what we're trying to eliminate.

Yes! I hear some 4K displays already have a pixel doubling mode for native 1080p content, so let's hope that becomes a standard feature as 4K becomes more common.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
See for me, if this current gen of consoles started to go 720p to push graphical effects like crazy then I'll sell my PS4. I just can't cope with anything less than 1080p now and we should as consumers expect 1080p from these consoles - there's just no way I can accept a sub HD console for another 5 - 6 years.
Why should we expect 1080p on the PS4? Where is that mandated? Might as well sell it off now to spare yourself the cost of rebuilding your gaming library.

And on an HDTV with a great upscaler the drop from 60 to 30 is costing you more clarity than the drop from 1080p to 900p. 30fps isn't anywhere near as sharp as 60fps when the viewpoint is moving. And yet most people here accept 30fps without complaint. Check out this scrolling text demo. 30fps is a blurry mess, and 120fps is as sharp as it is when it is not moving. If it's doing that to text guess what 30fps is doing to your textures.

Why should we expect 1080p on the PS4? Where is that mandated? Might as well sell it off now to spare yourself the cost of rebuilding your gaming library..
If we don't expect 1080p and we don't expect 60fps and we don't expect new gen exclusives, wtf did we expect from a next gen system purchase? Of course I expect those things, and if you didn't, wouldn't everybody just hang on to their ps3? There should be a minimum expectation for a "next gen"purchase, and to knock someone for having such expectations is a bit shortsighted no?

thelastword

Banned
Something seems off about this resolution on the PS4, especially when we compare it to the xbone version's rez. 900p on the Ps4 with the bone version not too far behind at 800p seems to be very close with a similar framerate, usually the disparity is much larger looking at past multiplats.

Usually when the resolution is the same or close enough like it is in watchdogs, the Ps4 would be about double the framerate, a la tombraider. It would be interesting to know what the rez is on last gen consoles, it may very well be 640 x 480 looking at how much they butchered the rez on the next gen consoles, yet only managed 30 fps.

Something tells me we haven't heard the last about resolution talk about this game, something feels way off on this one.

params7

Banned
I'm really looking forward to SteamBoxes now. I've been waiting for consoles to play native 1080p games since 2010 now, and looks like we're going to have to endure sub-1080p for another decade. Save us Valve.

FiggyCal

Banned
Something seems off about this resolution on the PS4, especially when we compare it to the xbone version's rez. 900p on the Ps4 with the bone version not too far behind at 800p seems to be very close with a similar framerate, usually the disparity is much larger looking at past multiplats.

Usually when the resolution is the same or close enough like it is in watchdogs, the Ps4 would be about double the framerate, a la tombraider. It would be interesting to know what the rez is on last gen consoles, it may very well be 640 x 480 looking at how much they butchered the rez on the next gen consoles, yet only managed 30 fps.

Something tells me we haven't heard the last about resolution talk about this game, something feels way off on this one.

Xbox one version is upscaled to 792p.

lol

TyrantII

It must be so stressful being part of the Watch_Dogs team right now. I'm sure they tried.

Not happy with 900p but I'm sure it wasn't on purpose guys.

Someone need to take a nuke to Ubi PR/Marketing and the executive greenlighting their deceptiveness and their incompetence.

They're creating small social media problems that will one day light the right fuse and blow up in their face. Watchdogs downgrade got pretty universally covered, but didn't quite go mainstream. Something else eventually will and it won't be the developers fault.

Ubi needs to stop the BS and stop the idea that their consumers are a bunch of dopes. The sort of contempt for the consumers intelligence they tend to do will eventually backfire. People eventually catch on to those white lies that keep coming and coming and coming.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If we don't expect 1080p and we don't expect 60fps and we don't expect new gen exclusives, wtf did we expect from a next gen system purchase? Of course I expect those things, and if you didn't, wouldn't everybody just hang on to their ps3? There should be a minimum expectation for a "next gen"purchase, and to knock someone for having such expectations is a bit shortsighted no?

why did we expect 1080p? I expected there to be an increase in fidelity, and what could be pushed to the screen. Is there a list of how many games weren't 720p last gen?

I think you expected it. Now your disappointed. Genuinely that sucks. I didn't expect these consoles to push top end pc graphics.

Kiant

On consoles, developers make the decisions for you what to prioritize. They don't have a stellar record in that regard. I will look forward to seeing you in the "I sold my ps4 because everything wasn't 1080p" thread that should pop up in a few months time

And that should be resolution. Don't get me wrong I love my PS4 but I won't play on something for X amount of years in sub HD. My point was that if everything including all 3rd party and 1st party games decided to make 720p a standard for this generation so we can have a few more effects on screen then I will primarily just game on the PC. Surely you can't argue that your okay with 720p on a console in 2014? Expecting 1080p on games is hardly outrageous,

EdgeXL

Some moron posted this on Facebook-

Okay, serious question here and I do not want to start a nasty argument but- why is s/he a moron?

Am I a moron too because I really don't care if a console version runs at 900p or native 1080p? In my opinion if I really cared about the native resolution on Watch_Dogs I'd play on PC with resolution going up to 4k and a better frame rate as well.

Perhaps I am just doing it wrong. After all, I still play retro games in SD. Whatever happened to just playing games for fun?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You should expect next gen games with the balance of graphical settings and image quality that the devs desire. Not some strict mandate of 1080p/60fps with no leeway.

As the saying goes, if you want 1080p/60fps with no compromises then purchase a PC.

Elios83

Resolution isn't the only factor in graphics.
Even if both games run at the same res and same frame rate it would't mean that the graphics are the same.
There are tons of aspects like lighting/shaders, textures, population density, buildings pop-up...we won't know until a direct face off...so in this sense yeah there might be bad surprises.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
how do I get the PS4 beta?

tL7OkPe.png

Andrew.

Banned
Okay, serious question here and I do not want to start a nasty argument but- why is s/he a moron?

Am I a moron too because I really don't care if a console version runs at 900p or native 1080p? In my opinion if I really cared about the native resolution on Watch_Dogs I'd play on PC with resolution going up to 4k and a better frame rate as well.

Perhaps I am just doing it wrong. After all, I still play retro games in SD. Whatever happened to just playing games for fun?

No one plays games for fun here. Im not a resolution whore either. Personally I think it's a younger generational thing.

Denton

You are not a moron for that. But "playing games for fun" and "wanting next gen experience on next gen platforms for 500 bucks and 60 bucks a game" are not mutually exclusive.

From a spanish web preview about PS4 version graphics (google translated):

http://www.vandal.net/avances/ps4/watch-dogs/20534/4/5

On the negative side, the truth, almost everything else, has greatly disappointed graphically, not by comparing it to the famous demo from E3 2012, but certain details we were not expecting with an open world game at this point in the new generation.

Things like cars and pedestrians suddenly appearing beside, fog on the horizon hiding elements, especially in tunnels, ugly textures, physics leave much to be desired in vehicles, quite ordinary animations, discrete modeling of cars, facial expressions of the last generation ...

Lest you think we ordered too much, when compared with a recent title of the console and open world, inFamous: Second Son, this hits it a look, games seem almost from different generations. And we also had the opportunity to play the PC version, and the truth, things do not improve too much, is quite similar to what we saw in PS4, only a little better.

Dlacy13g

At some point resolution stopped being a tool for getting good smooth frame rate on the hardware/monitor/tv you were hooked up to and now has mistakenly become associated with the quality of the actual game.

Visually if a game is appealing to you on screen I think it matters little as to what the resolution is. I don't care about how many actual P's it has...I care if it looks good to me on the screen. I also care that the game runs smooth and feels good gameplay wise. I don't care how many "exact" frames it runs at...I care that it feels good and steady. And most importatnly, I care that the game is fun to play and I get enjoyment out of it.

Denton

And we also had the opportunity to play the PC version, and the truth, things do not improve too much, is quite similar to what we saw in PS4, only a little better.[/i]

This is strange. I mean, when I look at the 9 min 101 trailer (1GB version from gamersyde, bless them), the game looks visually fantastic to me. I am really curious now.

Dragon

Banned

The good old "you can only care about one or the other" argument. Resolution is something that can be empirically measured. Fun cannot. So discussing something tangible like that I think makes sense on a message board.

Your point about the PC is valid, but Ubisoft's PC history doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.

At some point resolution stopped being a tool for getting good smooth frame rate on the hardware/monitor/tv you were hooked up to and now has mistakenly become associated with the quality of the actual game.

Visually if a game is appealing to you on screen I think it matters little as to what the resolution is. I don't care about how many actual P's it has...I care if it looks good to me on the screen. I also care that the game runs smooth and feels good gameplay wise. I don't care how many "exact" frames it runs at...I care that it feels good and steady. And most importatnly, I care that the game is fun to play and I get enjoyment out of it.

I swear...the same exact argument minutes apart. There is nothing saying a person cannot care about both. In fact, all gamers do care about fun. How exactly do you expect to gauge fun before a game is released?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Maybe the PS4 version has more visual effects than XONE?

Ducktail

This is really disappointing. To be honest I hate cross-gen tittles.

I just hope to God the game is good, if anything. I don't have a single AAA multiplataform title to play on Ps4. I'm craving for a new game, so I pre-ordered the digital version.

Please, don't suck.

why did we expect 1080p? I expected there to be an increase in fidelity, and what could be pushed to the screen. Is there a list of how many games weren't 720p last gen?

I think you expected it. Now your disappointed. Genuinely that sucks. I didn't expect these consoles to push top end pc graphics.

Soooooo, you went into the new gen with 720p and 30fps expectations for the next 5-8 years of this gen's life cycle? Well, at least you set the bar low enough that you'll never be disappointed :) cause unless you're playing on a 30 inch screen and sitting 10 feet away from your screen, your high fidelity 720 image is going to look noticeably bad on most larger screens.

*And from what I've seen, 1080p is not "high end" pc output.

jond76

Banned

Agreed. I see no need to get needlessly hung up on those things.

Farslain

I'm not that surprised at the downgrade and I'm not put off purchasing if the game is any good.

Large open world game with seemingly fantastic visuals sounded very unrealistic for console hardware this early in the generation.

I'm a lot more concerned the game will be a giant steaming turd gameplay wise at this point.

You still have my interest, Watch Dogs, please don't be shit.

Doran902

It was kind of a given, there was no way ps4 was going to be 1080p 60 or 30 and One was going to be 7XX and 30. The difference in power isn't that large.

EdgeXL

The good old "you can only care about one or the other" argument. Resolution is something that can be empirically measured. Fun cannot. So discussing something tangible like that I think makes sense on a message board.

Your point about the PC is valid, but Ubisoft's PC history doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.

I swear...the same exact argument minutes apart. There is nothing saying a person cannot care about both. In fact, all gamers do care about fun. How exactly do you expect to gauge fun before a game is released?

But when somebody writes that they cannot cope with less than 1080p anymore then fun is a relatively minor concern. At least for that person.

Liamario

Banned

I don't know who they are, but I suspect they are of a compromised intellect and or an utter fanboy.

Nethaniah

52 fps average and next to no game on consoles is 30 fps either. Still a huge accopmlishment.

Stuff like ACIV or Forza Horizon last gen was impressive (despite not being 60) because that was locked, no dips, having a framerate up to 60fps isn't impressive in the slightest.

Dragon

Banned
But when somebody writes that they cannot cope with less than 1080p anymore then fun is a relatively minor concern. At least for that person.

I was one of those people, I, to this day, cannot play GTAIV on PS3 because it's a blurry unoptimized mess. Does that mean I don't care about fun? Or does some of the technical shortcomings take away from my enjoyment of the game? I don't see how that's not a valid opinion to hold.

thelastword

Banned
Resolution isn't the only factor in graphics.
Even if both games run at the same res and same frame rate it would't mean that the graphics are the same.
There are tons of aspects like lighting/shaders, textures, population density, buildings pop-up...we won't know until a direct face off...so in this sense yeah there might be bad surprises.
I do understand your point, but based on the footage I've seen, I've not seen anything relative to the aspects you mentioned that warrants such a heavy resolution drop. From all accounts, the game has seen several downgrades from it's original video which makes it even more puzzling.

Jack cw

Stuff like ACIV or Forza Horizon last gen was impressive (despite not being 60) because that was locked, no dips, having a framerate up to 60fps isn't impressive in the slightest.

GAF delivers these days. Incredible what statements are made right now. 1080p with average fps close to 60 in a visually great game aren't impressive in the slightest. This is even beyond hyperbole.

Wait, what? In bf4? That's a load of shit. It holds 60 fps quite regularly. Only in the largest games are drops frequent and even then it still hits 60 rather often.

yeah. I'd say its 60 most of the time.. and i'm not even sure the stutters / drops aren't more server related, as we've seen in the past, weird FPS drops in places that never occurred while they were tinkering with things

Nethaniah

GAF delivers these days. Incredible what statements are made right now. 1080p with average fps close to 60 in a visually great game aren't impressive in the slightest. THis is even beyond hyperbole.

Given that TR is a game that wasn't even meant for these consoles, not really, come back to me when a true next-gen game does it.

Edit: People really need to stop using the word hyperbole everytime they don't agree with something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is strange. I mean, when I look at the 9 min 101 trailer (1GB version from gamersyde, bless them), the game looks visually fantastic to me. I am really curious now.
The footage mostly appeared to be native 1080p too suggesting the PC version...though there were sections with massive frame-rate issues during certain cuts so I don't even know.

There were PS4 buttons visible in some sequences, but that could just be PC footage with buttons overlaid, as it appeared to be 1080p. Could also have been older footage before the drop to 900p.

Top Bottom