• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's "Hero" (new IP) storyboard trailers leaked; [Open World Fantasy RPG]

-Ryn

Banned
Based on those pics it doesn't look like anything more than a generic Fantasy game.

I look forward to its actual reveal though. Maybe it'll be surprisingly cool.

It's like, I kinda wanna be hype, but if it's not a moba it's probably an open world game... And well, Ubisoft is not very good at those.

Anyway, hoping for the best, this alone might make me watch their conference.

RedSwirl

I've actually been wondering if/when Ubisoft would try to get in on the AAA RPG market. They're like the only major publisher that doesn't have a flagship RPG franchise if you look at the last 20 years of gaming or so. Especially if you look at the Japanese publishers back in the 90's.

--EA has Dragon Age and Mass Effect (and neglects Ultima)
--Square has Final Fantasy
--Enix had Dragon Quest
--Capcom has Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma (and fucked up Breath of Fire)
--Nintendo has Fire Emblem
--SEGA had Shining (and now technically has Shin Megami Tensei)
--Konami neglects Suikoden
--Bethesda Softworks has Elder Scrolls
--Namco has Tales

Ubisoft technically has Might and Magic and has published other developers' RPGs in the past, but M&M never really made the transition from classic CRPG franchise to mainstream success.

Bedlam

I wonder what the term "RPG" means for Ubisoft. If it's a shit-ton of meaningless busywork as in the later AC games, then I'm not interested. Ubisoft and Openworld in conjunction is definitely a red flag for me at this point.

Durante

Awesome, I really needed an open world collectathon fantasy RPG.

I do feel bad for Bioware that they are now getting competition in the genre they most recently chose for themselves by the actual masters of it.

Stiler

I wonder if their open world rpg will be filled to the brim with a bunch of "collectibles" and "towers" just like FC/AC/Watch Dogs, etc.

It's like Ubisoft has this one "Framework" and they shoehorn it into EVERY open world game they make, and can't let any be different.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've actually been wondering if/when Ubisoft would try to get in on the AAA RPG market. They're like the only major publisher that doesn't have a flagship RPG franchise if you look at the last 20 years of gaming or so.
Naughty Dog? Sony?

I guess Sony had Wild ARMs, but yeah I'd rather see what Naughty Dog would do with an AAA RPG than Ubisoft. At least the writing would be infinitely better for sure. ;)

Ambient80

Naw man

64XYvDx.jpg

HERO

Nope.

aIEp5Vx.jpg

Gyro.

Mik317

Yet again Ubisoft will amaze with a trailer and get people hopes up yet again...only to fail to live up to them the very next appearance.

See. Assassins Creed, Watch Dog, That Tom Clancy Game...and that other Tom Clancy Game.

You'd think people would catch on. Ubisoft are the kings of awesome reveals of stuff with great ideas and tech...

Don't be. It's going to be neither.
:O What's in the box?
Yet again Ubisoft will amaze with a trailer and get people hopes up yet again...only to fail to live up to them the very next appearance.

See. Assassins Creed, Watch Dog, That Tom Clancy Game...and that other Tom Clancy Game.

You'd think people would catch on. Ubisoft are the kings of awesome reveals of stuff with great ideas and tech...

You see that word below the NeoGAF logo? WHAT DOES IT SAY!?

B E L I E V E.

Seriously though, I'm always looking forward to new IP announcements (and even more so if it's a new RPG), but the truth is Ubi's track record when it comes to setting expectations vs reality really does speak for itself. I want to believe though. ;)

Ambient, now I'm hungry and it's your fault. This game better have delicious food or else. *shakes fist*

Shoe786

Another Ubisoft open world game? They are really not going to deviate from their formula outside of UbiArt stuff are they?

Top Bottom