• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

as spotted by Knurek, thought it deserved its own thread

this is how they're saying heroes of might and magic III looked to make the HD improvement seem that much more significant

447969210.jpg

uhhh what

edit: how the original HOMM3 really looked like

fJ3KR6M.jpg

REFeWGF.jpg

72741950a024adc63eceeu6uuh.jpg

Salsa

is the title that confusing? everyone does bullshots, but rather than making the newer game look better than what it ends up looking, the "new" refers to making the older game look worse

antitrop

Ubisoft put themselves in the position where I no longer trust any of their marketing years and years ago. Nothin' new.

New? lol

http://revolutionmedia.ign.com/revolution/image/article/704/704040/e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034051480.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

So many and long discussions about the Wii being on par with the PS3 and Xbox 360 (just not HD!) based on the Red Bull bullshots.

Good memories.

Momentary

Banned
I think he's talking about a new way of bullshot ting where they make the original look worse than what it really was.

They did blow the pixel up. That always makes things look worse, but I don't think they did it on purpose. Maybe they did.

TheMoon

The fake-old pixel art looks better than the actual old screenshot you posted. Also looks better than the "new" style.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
is the title that confusing? everyone does bullshots, but rather than making the newer game look better than what it ends up looking, the "new" refers to making the older game look worse
you didnt provide a comparison when people like me didnt know what M&M3 looked like

Nabbis

Are there really no false advertisement laws or court rulings that might give grounds to a lawsuit? This is taking an old existing product and falsely changing it.

f0lken

It took me a moment to see what you were saying, perhaps "new/updated bullshot techique" would've been a better title

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so basically a mild color pallete swap lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
new in the sense that making older versions look worse seems to be the way to go now

REFeWGF.jpg
Accounting for the amount of compression artifacting here, this would suggest that the new version is actually exactly the same as the original.

Edit:

Here's a screenshot from GOG:

72741950a024adc63eceeu6uuh.jpg

Sir TapTap

The fake-old pixel art looks better than the actual old screenshot you posted. Also looks better than the "new" style.

Aside from the piss-yellow outline ingame, no it most certainly does not. It wasn't designed for that res and thus looks completely terrible.

Those HOMM sprites must have been from the DOS prototype they were working on...
Also I love how the Red Steel shot even features fake, nonsensical aliasing.

sobaka770

Banned
I don't know if it's possible with HoMM engine (2D sprites), but I'd like to see the final version, especially whether the "HD" actually means higher resolution pseudo-3D models for modern screens.

I thought the video looked weird, though.

So you're saying that they faked it by creating whole new pixel art for the characters/enemies that made them look worse than they actually did?

Not familiar with the game at all but could it have had a low quality setting on the original that made them look different or perhaps a different version entirely?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I can't be surprised by this stuff anymore. It's scummy, but sadly I've grown to expect things like this.

-griffy-

Banned
Wow, that almost looks like as big an improvement as Last of Us remaster!

New PS4 Joel:
iBg9cvCgkBUAX.jpg

Original PS3 character model:
WnZ15ko.png

I got to give them bonus points for creativity.

Actually, scratch that.They'd be better of putting that creativity into their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom