• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisofts new DRM (might not have been) cracked in a day

Brannon

They could always compare the PC files against the 360 files to see what's missing.

Also this would never ever work.

Narcosis

Didn't bother to read the thread, just the OP and the link, and I am just :lol :lol :lol :lol at Ubisoft.

Maybe if they, oh I dunno, sought to give better service to their paying customers instead of hindering them and alienating them with ridiculous DRM that only punishes legit users, they;d by default reduce the piracy problem and not end up with egg on their face like today.

Shai-Tan said:
It WAS NOT cracked. It may be in the future but the thread title is wrong.

Uh, yes, it was fucking cracked. All the problems that people are reporting with the cracked version are being reporting by paying customers.

Loam

Alright just so were all on the same page here, here's what I got from reading this thread.

Wren said:
-Silent Hunter 5 and Assassins Creed 2 both use Ubisofts ridiculous DRM.

-Both SH5 and AC2 had cracks released for them within 24 hours of the game being available online.

-Both cracks, while letting you run the game, still had some issues (Failure to load, missing data etc.)

-SH5 got a second crack released that supposedly fixes it. 100% confirmation is still needed though.

-The only crack available for AC2 is the broken one, however people are arguing that this too will be fixed when its officially released.

Does this sound correct to everyone? If were going to argue the about something as controversial as DRM I would like to make sure we have our facts strait.

EDIT: Changed with information found below.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Wren said:
-SH5 got a second crack released that supposedly fixes this problem making the game 100% playable with the crack.

no, there was a 1.01 but the campaign can not be played properly

also

"Strange how people experience so many issues with the crack, I don't experience any of that with the retail version. I can only conclude that many of the issues are because of a bad crack."

Fredescu

pixel monkey said:
As of this evening, that is an inaccurate statement. The game has been cracked.
"So with 1.1 crack you can play but only two missions (without good end) and then free patrols and the single historic missions. Hope a fix will arise soon!"

*shrug*

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fredescu said:
"So with 1.1 crack you can play but only two missions (without good end) and then free patrols and the single historic missions. Hope a fix will arise soon!"
The way Pirates play yo-yo with people and people keep coming back for more is the sad part about this.

That's the sad part? Really? Is it? Or is the saddest part that a product that I, or any consumer around the globe, purchase is not ours to use freely as we see fit?

When I install Assassin's Creed II on my gaming laptop and want to play it, to simply play the game THAT I OWN, away from a wired or wi-fi connection, I can't because Ubisoft says I can't?

Who owns this game? Not the intellectual property, but the actual game that we're being asked to pay $59 ($10 more than your typical high profile PC release) for?

coopolon

pixel monkey said:
That's the sad part? Really? Is it? Or is the saddest part that a product that I, or any consumer around the globe, purchase is not ours to use freely as we see fit?

When I install Assassin's Creed II on my gaming laptop and want to play it, to simply play the game THAT I OWN, away from a wired or wi-fi connection, I can't because Ubisoft says I can't?

Who owns this game? Not the intellectual property, but the actual game that we're being asked to pay $59 ($10 more than your typical high profile PC release) for?

According to the way it currently works, you don't own it. You only bought a license to use it as long as you agree to their terms. It's unfortunate.

Mik2121

$59 for a "license" to play a game only when internet connection is available seems like a bunch of massive bullshit.

I'm glad I'm not buying that sort of licenses (except for a few PSN titles, but those are playable offline too, so it's much better imo).

coopolon said:
According to the way it currently works, you don't own it. You only bought a license to use it as long as you agree to their terms. It's unfortunate.

It's not unfortunate, it's goddamn unconscionable and it's completely unacceptable.

x3sphere

If the patched exe for SH5 is working fine but no one has yet to release a crack for AC2 then perhaps it uses a more extensive implementation of the DRM? I think the fact that it hasn't been officially released in the US means nothing, a full rip is reportedly out there so piracy groups could work off that.

Even if it's successful for a short period of time, I still think this implementation of DRM reaches draconian levels and really should not be used. It's not as if the pirates out there will go legit this time just because a working crack isn't out there. They will wait for one, or pass on the game entirely. IMHO the only way of getting dollars from pirates is by offering multiplayer and free / routine content updates. Unfortunately this is not possible with all games. I've found that a large percentage of pirates own L4D2, for example. Sure, it is an online centric title but a crack for it is out there to my knowledge and private servers can be setup. So what gives? Maybe pirates just feel compelled to buy it instead of illegally working around the system because of Valve's support and routine updates. I could be totally off base here, but that's how I view things.

duckroll

doomed1 said:
I pirated Fallout 3, but I'm buying that game as soon as I can scrounge up the cash. I was just curious if it would be a game for me.

Well, I think we can all help out in our own little way. One month away from GAF should be enough to help you take up another job and make the money you need to buy that game you pirated. Good luck!

Instro

duckroll said:
Well, I think we can all help out in our own little way. One month away from GAF should be enough to help you take up another job and make the money you need to buy that game you pirated. Good luck!

To be fair he said he deleted it, although I doubt it really matters. :lol

I wish instead of putting pirates on a pedestal, we'd see more people just straight up boycott Ubi. Just don't even buy their games nor pay attention to them if you're disgusted with the DRM. At this point, I'd rather see these type of publishers abandon the PC space entirely instead of trying to restrict the platform and punish the legitimate consumer.

Vormund

Dunlop said:
I dare anyone to post on these boards that they applied a crack to a game whether it was purchased (cough...bullshit) or not

I know that he's already banned and I am jumping on the bandwagon, but.....

I bought Blazing Angels off Steam and it won't work under Vista or 7 without a crack. The copy protection is actually preventing me from playing the game.

And funnily enough....its an Ubisoft game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gully State said:
I wish instead of putting pirates on a pedestal, we'd see more people just straight up boycott Ubi. Just don't even buy their games nor pay attention to them if you're disgusted with the DRM. At this point, I'd rather see these type of publishers abandon the PC space entirely instead of trying to restrict the platform and punish the legitimate consumer.

I for one appreciate the efforts of the people who actually produce the cracks for making my pc gaming a much more painless experience than the publishers would like. Crack groups are not necessarily pirates themselves, even if they do facilitate piracy. Direct your hatred at the ones downloading the games for nothing. As long as publishers keep putting DRM in my games, I don't want to see crack groups go away.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
My case,

Civ 4 BTS- Copy protection (D2D though) hosed me out.

I had to get someone else's .exe IM'ed to me in order to play it.

Taught me never to buy from D2D again. Impulse or GG, Steam if necessary from now on.

Gully State said:

Best solution. I'm upset at Stardock for even allowing AC2 on Impulse to be honest about it.

Binabik15

Ubisoft is up there with Activision on my "do not buy from" list now. Doesn´t pain that much, I think my last game from them was Beyond Good and Evil.

I actually wanted to try AC (but the PS3 is supposed to suck) and now AC2, but not with this DRM bullshit. Besides, I couldn´t really play it, my new gaming pc is only connected to the net with a USB wireless stick, because a cat cable would stop my door from closing. I bet that´d would work wonderful coupled with Ubisoft marvelous servers... :lol

I want to crack every game I install on my desktop, why shouldn´t I? I have to fully install them, so I might as well not have to switch disks to play. Keeps them in perfect condition and stops me (and my brother) to put games in the wrong case when we can´t find the right one. I´m not 100% sure (we didn´t have copyright law etc so far), but I think it´s at least a grey area here in Germany to alter the software you purchased as long as you´re not (commercially) re-releasing it or use copyrighted software/assets in other applications.

Dragona Akehi said:
So Dunlop, how does two months per poster who bothered to even respond to your tirade?

Sounds good to me.

Ouch, I felt the pain of that ban! By replies, do you mean image replies or all replies? Either way, dayum.

Could someone please change the topic, the game is NOT cracked.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=237724&site=pcg

Update: The comments we're seeing on torrent sites seem consistent with Ubisoft's claim that the release is incomplete. Eg.

"When i play a campaign in the game and finish the tutorial, i dock at Kiel and try to select a mission yet none appear."

"crack doesnt work :(

You cannot select a mission when u reach Kiel"

"Well I finished the first mission, went to Kiel, but after I can't start a new mission. Even if I try to start a new campaign, only the first mission is available"

panda21 said:
in the comments on a torrent site? NOT WORKING CONFIRMED

(interestingly those are the exact same comments that showed up somewhere else as 'evidence' that it doesnt work..)

Well *I* ain't gonna try it out for a game I don't own, but there's absolutely no one who says they can get it working and play the campaign to the end - so if you're going to be the cynic why are you so eager to accept the possibility that it works?

There is only one sort of way you are ever going to stop pc piracy and that's having windows (for OS example) run games in a different boot up or portion of windows where it's locked down quite tight from external programmes and shit, sort of like a console. I dunno how possible that sort of thing is but it will be the next step from failing DRM in my eyes.

kswiston

Do the sort of people who pirate PC games even bother playing a game if they can't steal it? I mean, how many of them think "Well, I guess I can't get Assassin's Creed 2 for free, might as well spend $60 on it!"?

Personally, I don't like to bother with cds/dvds. If I can, I will buy/rebuy games on steam/impulse/d2d/gog/etc. If no digital copy can be purchased (e.g. Infinity Engine games), I will use a no-cd crack. Why should I be inconvenienced by a DRM method designed to stop people from playing the game illegitimately? Canada doesn't have something like the DMCA (yet), so I am pretty sure that what I am doing isn't illegal in any way (shifting the platform of the media you purchased shouldn't be).

panda21

tahrikmili said:
Well *I* ain't gonna try it out for a game I don't own, but there's absolutely no one who says they can get it working and play the campaign to the end - so if you're going to be the cynic why are you so eager to accept the possibility that it works?

because several people pointed out in the other thread that it has been confirmed to work so long as you use the version for the 1.1 patch.

I predicted this would go uncracked for a long ass time when this was announced but GAF wouldn't have a word of it. I still don't know the precise details of the DRM but I bet it takes at least a month for something perfect to come out, and it won't be a catch-all for future releases. Ubisoft are probably pretty happy with this.

panda21 said:
because several people pointed out in the other thread that it has been confirmed to work so long as you use the version for the 1.1 patch.

And others pointed out that, no, it only allows you to play the first two missions.

coopolon

Gully State said:

It's tough. On one hand, the people who crack the games do almost always include copies of the games they've cracked with the crack when they release it, and that sucks. I wish they wouldn't do it. They do normally say in their .nfo's that they urge people to buy games, but clearly that's a half ass measure.

On the other hand, by cracking these games, they enable people like me who buy all of our games to enjoy them as we'd like, i.e. not connected to the internet, not constantly swapping CDs, etc. And for that I appreciate them. On the other hand if developers would get rid of DRM completely, there would be no need for cracks. Of course I don't expect that to happen realistically, but I think it'd be for the best.

Peterthumpa

I really can't understand all the rage with the whole "always online requirement".
Is there someone here who really won't have a Internet connection while playing the game?

Yeah, I know I'll be bashed to hell and that DRM is indeed some good bullshit but... we're getting a little paranoid here.

kswiston

coopolon said:
It's tough. On one hand, the people who crack the games do almost always include copies of the games they've cracked with the crack when they release it, and that sucks. I wish they wouldn't do it. They do normally say in their .nfo's that they urge people to buy games, but clearly that's a half ass measure.

On the other hand, by cracking these games, they enable people like me who buy all of our games to enjoy them as we'd like, i.e. not connected to the internet, not constantly swapping CDs, etc. And for that I appreciate them. On the other hand if developers would get rid of DRM completely, there would be no need for cracks. Of course I don't expect that to happen realistically, but I think it'd be for the best.

There are websites that host only the no-cd crack/patch, and not the actual pirated game. Use one of those instead. I haven't purchased a retail game in years (no need to now that everything is released on one of the digital distribution sites), but I have never had a problem finding no-cd patches for older games without actually pirating the game itself.

felipepl said:
Is there someone here who really won't have a Internet connection while playing the game?.

Maybe not Assassin's Creed II (which requires pretty high system specs), but a lot of people bring their laptops with them to game in hotels/airports/planes while traveling. WiFi in those places is not always available/free, and not all of us have 3G data plans.

mutsu

duckroll said:

Good luck to him. Not likely going to learn but he probably still deserves it :p

Not really sure if companies have calculated the cost vs benefit for implementing DRMs. Certainly the better the DRM protection is, the longer it is going to implement, thus costing more. By having DRM implemented, how much more sales are they going to get from those who would have originally pirated, but bought the game now because they cannot.

If the DRM is going to be a long term investment sure I think it's worth it. But if it's cracked within a day, a week, or even a month, then is it really worth it?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Diablohead said:
There is only one sort of way you are ever going to stop pc piracy and that's having windows (for OS example) run games in a different boot up or portion of windows where it's locked down quite tight from external programmes and shit, sort of like a console. I dunno how possible that sort of thing is but it will be the next step from failing DRM in my eyes.
Thanks for your professional analysis of the situation.

Koren

coopolon said:
My wireless router (D-Link DI-624) is know for rebooting all the time. I don't really care most of the time. But their system means I can't play SH5 on my laptop like I use to play previous SH. That's utterly retarded.

I also can't play in trains, like I do often, or when I'm not at home?

I truly hope the backslash is massive. I boycotted starforce games, including Trackmania, I'll go on with this system...

Curufinwe

felipepl said:
I really can't understand all the rage with the whole "always online requirement".
Is there someone here who really won't have a Internet connection while playing the game?

Yeah, I know I'll be bashed to hell and that DRM is indeed some good bullshit but... we're getting a little paranoid here.

The always online requirement bothers me a little less now that Ubisoft has announced you won't lose any progress if you lose your connection for a short while and then get it back.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=7731&tab=download&dcId=63

Game can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
felipepl said:

I get lagged and disconnected all the time on my connection. It sucks, yeah, but until ATT decides to actually fix something, I don't want to have my single player games unavailable during disconnects like my multiplayer games.

BECAUSE IT MAKES NO SENSE. There's no online component to the game, at all. Why do I have to be online to play it?

Slavik81

Dragona Akehi said:
So Dunlop, how does two months per poster who bothered to even respond to your tirade?

Sounds good to me.
To be fair, those are all illegal under the DMCA in the United States. The GAF policy on piracy does not match United States law. Some of them might even fall afoul of both unlawful copying and circumvention.

I think they're all morally justifiable, but United States IP law is pretty cruel.

iamblades

Slavik81 said:
To be fair, those are all illegal under the DMCA in the United States. The GAF policy on piracy does not match United States law. Some of them might even fall afoul of both unlawful copying and circumvention.

I think they're all morally justifiable, but United States IP law is pretty cruel.

Actually there are fair use exceptions to the DMCA.

The problem is, not every example of fair use under the copyright law is automatically exempted from the DMCA, instead they have to go through a hearing every 3 years to be exempted.

Among the current exemptions that could be used to legally justify (at least in part) the examples in this thread:

# Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace. (A renewed exemption, first approved in 2003.)
# Computer programs protected by dongles that prevent access due to malfunction or damage and which are obsolete. A dongle shall be considered obsolete if it is no longer manufactured or if a replacement or repair is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace. (Revised from a similar exemption approved in 2003.)
# Sound recordings, and audiovisual works associated with those sound recordings, distributed in Compact Disc format and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully purchased works and create or exploit security flaws or vulnerabilities that compromise the security of personal computers, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing, investigating, or correcting such security flaws or vulnerabilities. (A new exemption created in 2006, after a faulty copy protection system installed on Sony's compact discs had caused technical problems for many users.)

There's no specific exemption to cracking a game to get around shitty buggy DRM, but it is clearly a case of fair use and should be exempted if not for the fact that you have to go through bullshit hearings every 3 years against heavy opposition from lawyers and lobbyists from the IP owners merely to justify your right to do what you want to with content that you own. Can you imagine having to go to a hearing every three years on whether or not the right to free speech is still a good idea?

Its absolutely idiotic.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
keeping a weather eye on this whole saga. without going all dlmn8r on you, this seems to be the state of things right now:

(all sic, with certain notorious crack outfit's names censored)

some dirty yarrring bastard said:
Guys I m sick of this shit. I downloded 2 ***** cloned Dvd versions, 2 ***** Clone Dvd versions and one English cloned version. Cos when ever they put a new version, they add the crack included 100% work with that version. Some fools include crack within the iso so hav to download full DvD again. Sick of this shit. What a waste...

Tried all the cracks on internet. with each version. No good result all the Versions respond in EXACT same way.

1) Without saves you get stuck on animas.
2) With one set of saves you get stuck in the hall where lucy does nothing.
3) With a another set of saves you can run around village in Monteriggioni Villa Then game gives a loading sign with an exclamatin mark in the center of the screen when you have to enter the training ground.

All the versions react same way. So I tell you Guys. Its not the problem with what ever version you are using. Its the crack. Cracks also I tried many. No good result.

So like i did, dont do the mistake trying to download many versions as i did. Its just a waste. Find the one Suited you the most and download. then wait and look for a proper crack.

May be as Some people say Ubisoft has kept some files on thier shitty sever which triggers the game to go on. I really dont know.

What i realised. Without the product key. It will only activated the games DEMO version. And using the saves found on net you and just run around a loaded map. Thats it. It wont load any further missions or maps.

I really wonder when will a proper crack would come out. Lets see...

Sorry if i bore you with a really long post.

P.S

If one of you guys find a proper crack Please share it with us. Tnx in advance.

while papa ubisoft demanding a memo everytime you want to work one out in your room (more like uninterrupted phone call) is as unsavoury to me as any true lover of tricolour freedom, there's something a little cathartic in reading this. either they're role playing, or should consider pirating an english language e-book.

So this form of DRM actually does shut out pirates then? Honestly, if it continues to work this well, it may be a necessary evil I'm willing to support as having a constant internet connection has never been an issue for me for something like ten years now. Console ports with inflated price tags and no UK Steam release are definitely something I'll pass on, but the existence of this isn't going to stop me picking up niche exclusive PC titles like Silent Hunter 5, an experience which can not be had on any other platform.

If this is what it takes for Ubisoft to continue to publish their stable of unique PC exclusive titles, then its a sacrifice I'm willing to make. In an ideal world we'd all have out cake and eat it to, but DRM is not going to go away anytime soon as long as there's so many vermin leaching off the platform.

Top Bottom