• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisofts new DRM (might not have been) cracked in a day

dLMN8R

ghst said:
keeping a weather eye on this whole saga. without going all dlmn8r on you, this seems to be the state of things right now:

(all sic, with certain notorious crack outfit's names censored)

while papa ubisoft demanding a memo everytime you want to work one out in your room (more like uninterrupted phone call) is as unsavoury to me as any true lover of tricolour freedom, there's something a little cathartic in reading this. either they're role playing, or should consider pirating an english language e-book.
"Going all dlmn8r"? Really?

Come on now, the thing you posted is exactly the type of thing I've been saying all along. No need for the attacks here dude.

Archie said:
Apparently you're not the only one (I didn't see this thread and bumped that really old Ubi DRM thread. Woops!)

Nonsense. My router is showing 3 years of uptime and only peasants in Guatemala have flaky internet connections so obviously someone who's not a peasant in Guatemala will never be inconvenienced by this DRM.

You Guatemalans are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guatemala aside, consider this (cue Dennis Haysbert voice):

Your ISP lets you know that they're going to be doing some maintenance in your area, and they give you a time range when you know you'll be home. The work is taking a while longer than expected and there's nothing you'd like more than to play your new, high-quality Ubisoft singleplayer game that you paid full price for while waiting for your internet to come back up. But since you have no internet to speak of, that's simply not an option.

Are you in good hands?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TouchMyBox said:
Nonsense. My router is showing 3 years of uptime and only peasants in Guatemala have flaky internet connections so obviously someone who's not a peasant in Guatemala will never be inconvenienced by this DRM.

You Guatemalans are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion.
You don't need to live in Guatemala to have a poor internet connection. :gloomy South Georgia :gloomy

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
In a way, I hope these problems persist and become major.

Until consumers get burned by DRM and they end up with a $60 game that doesn't work becaue Ubi doesn't want it to work, they don't care too much about the issue. Once they do, they really start caring.

That makes it better for the rest of us.

undrtakr900

All companies should just go back to the basic CD Key before install model because no matter what they do hacker will crack any DMR they put in.

Tadale

Archie said:
You don't need to live in Guatemala to have a poor internet connection. :gloomy South Georgia :gloomy

What part of South Georgia? I'm down here too and my internet connections not so great, either.

Holepunch

undrtakr900 said:
All companies should just go back to the basic CD Key before install model because no matter what they do hacker will crack any DMR they put in.

If the CD key is going to be cracked why even bother with that? No security. See how it affects sales.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Holepunch said:
If the CD key is going to be cracked why even bother with that? No security. See how it affects sales.

Stardock believes it helped their sales not to have a CD-key on the game. They do protect their patches pretty tightly, but that's perfectly fair.

Zzoram

Why Ubisoft should eat d_cks for requiring persistent server connection for single player:

The Assassin's Creed 2 authentication servers randomly went down for ~10 hours after the European release, resulting in nobody being able to play the game they just bought.

Slavik81

Doytch said:
And this was and is the exact reason I give when asked about this bullshit DRM. My internet connection is fine, stable, and fast. I don't for a second trust a third party's servers to be up 100% of the time though.

RPS article on Ubisoft's shitty servers.
That gif...:lol

2py18bo.jpg

some very NSFW/gory pictures in that Ubisoft forum thread, I like how the moderators are on top of their game just like the folks at the DRM-department

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dLMN8R said:
"Going all dlmn8r"? Really?

Come on now, the thing you posted is exactly the type of thing I've been saying all along. No need for the attacks here dude.

a roast! a ribbing!

feel free to be a caustic inflammatory asshole and cite my name.

Harteex

Funny how there are people in the thread (at ubisoft) accusing people who complain of being pirates, lying about their problems and not having faith...

I like the Settlers series but I guess I'll have to wait. I will never pay more than $10 for a game with this DRM (I'll just pick it up for $5 or so whenever it hits that).

Binabik15

The last few days my internet would crap out several times a day for a short period, sometimes making router re-boots neccessary. Is it the snow or was Germany recently annexed by Guatemala? I, uh, for one welcome our Guatemalan DRM overlords.

NIN90 said:
Why does he take his shirt off?

Because he´s a hardcore punkass motherfucking Guatemala hator D:

Vagabundo

Yeah watch that link some sick pictures in there.

All they need now is for some script kiddie to DOS the main servers for a few days and this clusterfuck is complete.

It is a real mess, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that they will stick with it - 'til the bitter end.

Doytch

"Servers were attacked and while the servers did not go down, service was limited from 2.30pm to 9pm Paris time [1.30pm - 8pm GMT].
"The servers did not blue screen, reboot, and fail to POST, so technically, they weren't down."
"95 per cent of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors.
I'm skeptical of their ability to generate accurate stats on which requests would've been legit and which wouldn't during a DDOS.

Dennis

Banned
My two cents:

Been playing the game saturday, sunday and now monday. Not a single problem. Any DDOS attack certainly didn't hit all servers effectively.

lilltias

The games are not cracked ok? I've been trying ALL of them and nothing works (no progress). People saying otherwise are lying. But since I don't seem to have a problem with my connection and SH5 runs smooth as hell, I don't care. Haven't played AC2 that much but that game was paused once but it rolled on like one minute later.

Funny how it was the pirates who ruined it for the legitimet users.

NinjaDOF[MSV] said:
The games are not cracked ok? I've been trying ALL of them and nothing works (no progress). People saying otherwise are lying. But since I don't seem to have a problem with my connection and SH5 runs smooth as hell, I don't care. Haven't played AC2 that much but that game was paused once but it rolled on like one minute later.

Funny how it was the pirates who ruined it for the legitimet users.

This. All of this.

Pirates attack servers and break a functioning DRM, consumers attack the company (who is the victim here) instead of pirates (with whom they seem to uncannily sympathize with - consumers = closet pirates?) and GAF has a riot?

Get the fuck over yourselves, really.

jepjepjep

tahrikmili said:
This. All of this.

Pirates attack servers and break a functioning DRM, consumers attack the company (who is the victim here) instead of pirates (with whom they seem to uncannily sympathize with - consumers = closet pirates?) and GAF has a riot?

How is that "functioning DRM" working out? It doesn't seem like it's functioning very well to me. What happens when UBI turns off it's servers in 5-10 yrs?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
tahrikmili said:
This. All of this.

Maybe the company shouldn't have implemented such an awful, anti consumer DRM that is prone to external attacks in the first place.

BTW good jon inferring people who don't like the DRM are pirates.

jepjepjep said:
How is that "functioning DRM" working out? It doesn't seem like it's functioning very well to me. What happens when UBI turns off it's servers in 5-10 yrs?

you can rebuy it on the PS4/Xbox720 for 10 dollars

bhlaab

A DDOS attack? I thought it was because of "exceptional demand"! Spin spin spin.

Well at least now we know that this will definitely happen again.

:))) it's all bullshit by ubisoft definitely. no excuses.

just tried both games, ac2 and sh5. and none of them will start up. good shit. not that I was going to play them now anyway, I wanted to play bc2 and that's not working either :lol

tahrikmili said:
This. All of this.

did you just write the company is the victim? :lol come here so I can punch you

although personally I went willingly into these first two games as I always do on new dumb stuff like this, insert steam hilarity. hehe. someone's got to test how poorly shit works. but I would also volunteer to punch you in the throat, definitely

Haunted

Wait, wait, the DRM is out since a couple days and their servers already went down for a period of time?

Holy shit Ubi. :lol

That is just fucking unacceptable.

Regardless if it's a DDOS or a screwup on Ubi's part, the fact remains that Ubi has just demonstrated that it cannot ensure its servers that are vital for playing their newest PC games are going to be running.

Bravo, Ubi. Bravo.

nodish2

Banned
tahrikmili said:
This. All of this.

How the fuck do you know it was pirates that attacked the servers?

Haunted said:
Wait, wait, the DRM is out since a couple days and their servers already went down for a period of time?

Holy shit Ubi. :lol

That is just fucking unacceptable.
I've been away a couple of days, so was unable to monitor the games as I was planning to do. hehe. but supposedly they have been down a lot the past two days. and I haven't been able to start up either of them today :))) edit: the error message changed now, previously it gave a 'internet connnection is required', it doesn't even recognise my ubi account details now giving a 'wrong username/pw' :)) good shit

nodish2 said:
How the fuck do you know it was pirates that attacked the servers?
bu bu ubisoft said so, must be true

Dennis

Banned
ITT: lots of condemnation of Ubisoft DRM. Realistic suggestions of how to tackle piracy - not so much.

I don't for a damn second believe the Stardock approach used for highbrow games sold to older, more affluent gamers (Gal Civ II etc.), will work for something like AC2, Crysis or COD. Those last two games were pirated to hell and back by entitled-feeling assholes, and AC2 probably will too.

PC gaming is hurting bad. Solution desperately needed. Half-assed DRM or not, I don't blame Ubisoft for trying.

Niche PC games will survive, I am sure. But I would also like to play the AAA type games on my PC in the future. That is what I am worried about.

Top Bottom