• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC Berkeley panel blames conservative students for left wing violence on campus

dolabla

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/03/berkeley-free-speech-report-conservative-speakers-516476

A University of California, Berkeley report on free speech questions the motives of controversial speakers who sparked violent campus clashes last year, saying they were part of a “coordinated campaign” to make college campuses appear intolerant of conservative views.

The assertion drew an “actual lol!” from Milo Yiannopoulos, who’s referenced in the report and called its authors “Marxist thugs … criticizing people they don’t listen to, books they haven’t read and arguments they don’t understand.”

The report released this week is the culmination of months of work by a university commission asked to study free speech on a campus that was roiled last year by disputes over speakers, resulting in lawsuits and condemnation from conservatives. That included President Donald Trump, who tweeted: “If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech ... NO FEDERAL FUNDS?” Clashes over controversial speakers erupted on college campuses across the country in 2017, but those at Berkeley were among the most violent and costly.

“Contrary to a currently popular narrative, Berkeley remains a tolerant campus,” :D the report contends, pointing to a survey of incoming freshman last fall. It found three-quarters of them agree that “the University has the responsibility to provide equal access to safe and secure venues for guest speakers of all viewpoints — even if the ideas are found offensive by some or conflict with the values held by the UC Berkeley community.”

The report says that all of last year’s most disruptive events, including highly publicized events featuring Yiannopoulos and commentator Ann Coulter, were sponsored by “very small groups of students working closely with outside organizations.”

“Although those speakers had every right to speak and were entitled to protection, they did not need to be on campus to exercise the right of free speech,” the report says. “Indeed, at least some of the 2017 events at Berkeley can now be seen to be part of a coordinated campaign to organize appearances on American campuses likely to incite a violent reaction, in order to advance a facile narrative that universities are not tolerant of conservative speech.”

The report specifically cites Yiannopoulos and Coulter, who the commission says “expressed little interest in reasoned discussion of contentious issues or in defending or revising their views through argument.” Coulter could not be reached for comment.

The Berkeley College Republicans, who helped organize events there last year and have sued the school, also could not be reached for comment.

The report continues: “Many Commission members are skeptical of these speakers’ commitment to anything other than the pursuit of wealth and fame through the instigation of anger, fear, and vengefulness in their hard-right constituency. Speech of this kind is hard to defend, especially in light of the acute distress it caused (and was intended to cause) to staff and students, many of whom felt threatened and targeted by the speakers and by the outside groups financing their appearances.”

The commission was made up of Berkeley faculty, students and staff and was chaired by Prudence Carter, dean of Berkeley’s Graduate School of Education, and R. Jay Wallace, a professor of philosophy.

The report notes that many students and staff felt threatened “not just by the message of the speakers, but by the large police presence required to assure everyone’s safety.”

Yiannopoulos told POLITICO that “no one who has actually attended a Milo talk would say my mission is solely to offend or that I’m an insubstantial purveyor of stunts. I always prefer to give my talk. I care about my subjects. But it gets Berkeley off the hook, doesn’t it?”

“I get that people find it difficult to imagine that a conservative with big ideas might also be a showman, a provocateur and an Instagram thot, but here I am. Deal with it,” Yiannopoulos wrote in an email responding to the report. “As for their lofty dismissal of the obvious reality that conservative speech is relentlessly and systematically suppressed on campuses... actual lol!”

The report points out that conservative commentator Ben Shapiro spoke at Berkeley in 2016 without controversy. But his appearance there last year was met by protests — leading to nine arrests — and the university spent $600,000 on security, according to the report.

What changed? The report blames the “rise of ultra-conservative rhetoric, including white supremacist views and protest marches, legitimized by the 2016 presidential election and its aftermath, encouraged far-right and alt-right activists to ‘spike the football’ at Berkeley. This provoked an at-times violent (and condemnable) response from the extreme left, tearing at the campus’s social fabric.”

The report includes a slew of recommendations for university leaders moving forward, including creating new free speech zones, scrutinizing student organizations more closely and offering counter-programming during controversial events.

Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ said in a statement that the commission “wrestled with some of the most important and complex issues facing our campus at this time.”

“The commission’s recommendations are deeply considered and intriguing, and I support them,” she said. “I will work with my leadership team to determine what is feasible for us to carry forward over the course of the next weeks and months.”

Bolivar687

Banned
A recent commentator on the Rubin Report made the observation that the left is not learning - they're doubling down.

“Contrary to a currently popular narrative, Berkeley remains a tolerant campus,” :D the report contends, pointing to a survey of incoming freshman last fall. It found three-quarters of them agree that “the University has the responsibility to provide equal access to safe and secure venues for guest speakers of all viewpoints — even if the ideas are found offensive by some or conflict with the values held by the UC Berkeley community.”

That's... not something to be proud of. Only 25% of our freshmen are anti-free speech! Well, goody for you. How about your seniors? Does that percentage tend to go up or down after the education that you provide?

“Although those speakers had every right to speak and were entitled to protection, they did not need to be on campus to exercise the right of free speech,” the report says.

This is either a completely obvious statement that has no relevance to the discussion, (you don't have to be in an ice cream parlor to eat ice cream), or it's specifically implying that free speech is not welcome at Berkeley.

It seems that those who wrote this report agree with the 25%, rather than the 75% they hold up as some proof that they're not the politically intolerant people that they actually are.

Lastly, how many of that 75% would feel otherwise when told that the offensive and value contradicting speech about to take place on campus was actually considered by some people to be hate speech, and who would get to decide what is and what is not hate speech?

I posted this recently, but it's worth repeating:

AaronB

When campus protesters assault speakers, start fires, and try to intimidate; it's all just the fault of the people who say things the protesters don't like.

This is the same reasoning as "Her provocative clothing is responsible for her getting raped."

I was a teenager once. Smoking pot and listening to RATM. I thought I understood the world and had the solutions to the problems. One could say I thought I was woke.

But by the age of 17, I realized my savings account was a higher priority than my pride and street cred. That's when I woke up. I went from a dumb teenager who hated capitalism to a adult who worked and bought some stocks. Now I'm a wealthy 33 year old stay at home dad. Some of us grow up faster than others, I was a late bloomer.

All I'm saying is my life is too busy. I don't have the time to make sure others don't gather and say things I don't like. But I'm also old/experienced enough to know that a society can't work if your goal is silence on things people don't want to hear.

Ridcully

The commission was made up of Berkeley faculty, students and staff and was chaired by Prudence Carter, dean of Berkeley’s Graduate School of Education, and R. Jay Wallace, a professor of philosophy

This says all you need to know. If it's the culture they've created, of course they won't find fault with it.

KINGMOKU

I remember being in my 20's mad at the world... Now i'm in my 30's and mad at myself. -TrainedRage
You couldn't be more correct. When your young, and in college, it feels like your the smartest person on the planet and when you grow up, have a job and actual responsibility you start to realize;

"Holy hell was I stupid".

Its hard to take people seriously who have never had a job, have almost zero real life experience, and exist in a fish bowl of thought. Protesting out of ignorance is just an exercise in futility.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Has the left ever taken responsibility for it's own actions?

Dunki

This is litterally the "she was asking for it because of how she looks defence" This is pretty disgusting.

dolabla

When campus protesters assault speakers, start fires, and try to intimidate; it's all just the fault of the people who say things the protesters don't like.

This is the same reasoning as "Her provocative clothing is responsible for her getting raped."

Yeah, but you just don't understand........... She/they had it coming! That'll teach'em!

But yeah, it's pretty amazing to watch the place that was home of the free speech movement turn into authoritarian anti free speech zone.

I was a teenager once. Smoking pot and listening to RATM. I thought I understood the world and had the solutions to the problems. One could say I thought I was woke.

It's funny how, when applied to the modern versions of the establishment alternative rock was fighting against, most of that music is just as applicable today.

"Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

"Yes I know my enemies, they're the teachers who taught me to fight me."

I was listening to the song Dose by Filter the other day, and that song sounds very different when you consider who the zealots are of today. How often these days do people get told they're an awful person for not following the Bible, and how often do they get told they're an awful person for saying or doing something offensive to the political left?

Filter - Dose

I believe in something else
now go bother someone else
stick your fingers in your book
take a better second look
you crook
I hate it when you breach my space
and I hate it when you preach your case
and you should go down
down
save someone else.

I think I should warn you
I think I should tell
what you've been doing
it makes you go to hell

I hate it when you preach your case
it makes me want to stick my fist through
your face
and you should go down
down
save someone else.

can your preacher bring me down?
oh, thats what I thought.

I hate it when you breach my space
and I hate it when you preach your case
and you should go down
down
save someone else.

I think about that song today being about the left, just as I thought about it then being about the right. You shouldn't generalize people, and assume bad-faith because someone is personally (but respectfully) opposed to your actions or opinions. At the same time, there are people on the left and right who absolutely are everything this song criticizes. The "you're an awful person for not thinking how I think" Bible thumpers of today, are not the same as those of the 90s. The ideology has changed, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
If it's one thing I really dislike it's the campus politics issue. People are so unable to let people speak, that they end up giving the people they're protesting more publicity and giving their positions more credibility. Milo would've been completely unknown hadn't it been for people raging out against him.

Especially the disruption and violence is unnecessary. And how incompetent the universities are in regards to securing the safety of people.

Dontero

Banned
Such answer only tells me that they actually achieved their goal perfectly and they are mad that they were able to to show that to whole world that it is indeed true. Which kind of also shows professors themselves are part of this bullshit.

Top Bottom