• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Employee turnover happens every day.. I think its humorous we take this as big news when in reality its nothing out of the ordinary. One man/woman does not make a game.

The weird thing is that they were the two leads on Uncharted. Who are the new directors then? If its Druckman and Straley, what's going on with the other team at ND?

anaron

Employee turnover happens every day.. I think its humorous we take this as big news when in reality its nothing out of the ordinary. One man/woman does not make a game.
Uh, both are prominent designers with the latter being the creative director of the franchise.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How many have left Sony in the last months? 10?

One man/woman is a thing. Multiple leads on multiple studios is another.

There is clearly something going down.

Duxxy3

WTF is going on at WWS.

There's just too much movement going on for these upcoming games not to be delayed.

It's just conjecture, but maybe the reason we haven't seen much of anything from the first party studios is because nothing is remotely ready. Which is weird, because we were flooded with first part games last year.

LastNac

Part of me wants them to just cancel it at this point.

The directors of my favorite Uncharted are gone but the lead designer still gives me faith.

Mondy

Banned
>Sell 6 million PS4's
>Hemorrhage all of your best (and worst) talent

Oh Sony. Does anyone ever dare have faith in you launching a console without major issues again.

Doel

The director of Uncharted leaves to.... Riot Games? Really now?

You guys still want to tell me the sky isn't falling at Sony World Wide Studios? Because it sure as hell looks like it right now.

Yeah I can't believe he went to Riot Games, one of the most successful developers of the past few years.

4978491_orig.gif

Llama-cant-deal-with-it.gif

Tamanon

Banned
The director of Uncharted leaves to.... Riot Games? Really now?

You guys still want to tell me the sky isn't falling at Sony World Wide Studios? Because it sure as hell looks like it right now.

Sure, it's not falling.

It's a new generation, it's the 4th game in a series. This is about when you'd expect some talent to want to go do something else with their lives.

Lyonaz

Was he responsible for making UC2 multiplayer complete shit? Pre-patch UC2 MP was sooooo good!

Anyways, so both UC4 leads left? Possible UC4 delay incoming?

Theories:

1. Sony told their 1st parties that they would be getting less production money, so those studios had to make cuts and/or salary cut ultimatums. This all being a result of Kaz cutting back on the overhead to save Sony as a company.

2. These people who are leaving have been colluding privately about starting up a new developer house together.

3. Egos vs. Egos.

Jarmel

Banned
Ya, its unfortunate to be losing top talent at once, but are peoplw trying to come up with some conspiracy completely oblivious of how the job market works? People come and go all the time for various reasons. Unless there's some mass exodus its usually never representative of the xompany itself.

Two head developers pretty much responsible for one of the major franchises in gaming, and certainly Sony's major franchise for 2014, up and lead over half a year before the game is estimated to come out, is not a normal thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Something happened.

reKon

Banned
WTF is going on at WWS.

There's just too much movement going on for these upcoming games not to be delayed.

It's just conjecture, but maybe the reason we haven't seen much of anything from the first party studios is because nothing is remotely ready. Which is weird, because we were flooded with first part games last year.

It hasn't even been a full year since it's release yet and historically Sony staggers its first party releases.

scoobs

How many have left Sony in the last months? 10?

One man/woman is a thing. Multiple leads on multiple studios is another.

There is clearly something going down.

Or they found a new job opportunity that pays more and excites them so they left. I'll bet Uncharted 4 is going to be okay.

Lingitiz

Was he responsible for making UC2 multiplayer complete shit? Pre-patch UC2 MP was sooooo good!

Anyways, so both UC4 leads left? Possible UC4 delay incoming?

I don't we're going to see it until late next year anyways. No chance in hell it comes out this year, not after how badly they crunched for UC3 and how much TLOU benefited from the extra dev time.

Vinc

I'd imagine everyone is. All these people leaving is far more than just "Sony is cutting the fat guys!!! No need to worry"

Weird how their first party studios are shrinking when the PS4 is dominating the market. PS4 needs more AA and AAA games, not less :|

It's true, but the combination of the big 3 factors (they're getting more expensive to make, the market for them is getting more competitive by the second, casual gamers are moving to mobile games and/or are only buying COD) that a lot of people want to ignore really IS hurting this segment of the industry.

Vire

Who is running Uncharted 4 now? Seriously? Amy and Justin are both gone now.

Is it really Neil and Bruce?

KoopaTheCasual

This can no longer be ignored. This is a serious problem and concern about the state of Sony WWS. What could be happening? From all appearances they have been enjoying success and creative freedom on their projects and have openly talked/bragged about the flexibility.

Can we have a master list of staff walking out on Sony over the past couple months? It's getting way too hard to keep track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom