• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Mort saying specifically "Col Rogers [sic] (driveclub) is about failing to deliver" in this situation a claim of factual behind-the-scenes happenings. If Putty is right that Rodgers left specifically for personal reasons, it's reasonable to think of those as being mutually exclusive explanations. Or at least very different characterizations.

Truth is there are always two side to a story , Stig also left SSM but we all know the reason for that .
Sometimes there can be more than one reason things happen .

Do you know the sales numbers? And what fans? GAF posters or metacritic voters?
It's opening week was way way below God of War 3. Don't have the exact figures but it is here on GAF, in the NPD thread for the Ascension opening month. Same goes for its UK opening.

Has it really? Franchise fatigue has definitely set in, I admit; I skipped out on Ascension for that reason myself. But I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal of the next GoW was met with fanfare.
Of course, it will be met with fan fare since i am sure that the next one will be more of a reboot, a start of a new trilogy.

Hahaha talk about hyperbole...we'll have to see how GOW4 on PS4 does both critically and in sales before being able to say anything like that.
Well... like i said... there is always the off chance that the new God of War will be different, and can be successful if they keep the quality.

sbkvw2hflk5umukhc.png
Jesus. I wonder what ND's reaction to this especially druckmann and Richmond lol.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Sony seem to me to be obviously contracting. There wont be as many games for the PS4 as the PS3 imo.

However, quality>quantity. Sony will bring plenty of games and the standard should hopefully be higher not lower.

Gestault

Truth is there are always two side to a story , Stig also left SSM but we all know the reason for that .
Sometimes there can be more than one reason things happen .

I'll assert that "asked to leave because of failure to perform" and "left due to outside, personal reasons" are about as far apart as possible. I'd appreciate clarifications from someone about the nature of that info. One is a straight-up negative accusation. That could easily be the more accurate scenario, but if people are bothering to bring the info in, I'd like it to be accurate.

Palocca

Of course, it will be met with fan fare since i am sure that the next one will be more of a reboot, a start of a new trilogy.

Given this is all hypothetical, but the above would imply that people are interested in the franchise. If that was the case, wouldn't that mean that Ascension didn't soil the reputation of the entire IP like you mentioned earlier? I just think it's too early to call it out that way.

styl3s

Riot Games innovative? Now I have seen it all.
They just happened to have the right polished MOBA out at the right time as far as i am concerned.

Nothing innovative about it. And i find it funny they pick a guy who is a director for a story/plot driven game when they said themselves "plots are highly overrated" in video games. Sorry but if you think plots are overrated i have no interest in anything you are trying to do.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony seem to me to be obviously contracting. There wont be as many games for the PS4 as the PS3 imo.

However, quality>quantity. Sony will bring plenty of games and the standard should hopefully be higher not lower.

I hope so because Killzone Shadow Fall is terrible, and Knack wasn't anything special. Finally while inFamous looked pretty, and the core gameplay mechanics were incredible, the mission design was awful. I am still waiting for Sony to bring their A game to PS4.

I hope so because Killzone Shadow Fall is terrible, and Knack wasn't anything special. Finally while inFamous looked pretty, and the core gameplay mechanics were incredible, the mission design was awful. I am still waiting for Sony to bring their A game to PS4.

Just to keep it in perspective, recall how long it took them to bring their A game to PS3.

(Or how long it took MS. Or Nintendo.)

The answer: at least a year from launch.

KAL2006

Banned
Just to keep it in perspective, recall how long it took them to bring their A game to PS3.

True but so far I am not impressed. The Order doesn't seem my type of game either with so many quick time events and the lack of multiplayer is also disappointing. Drive Club looked like the only decent upcoming game, but hands on impressions were not all that positive. I am hoping Uncharted 4 fares well as I have enjoyed pretty much all Naughty Dog games.

Bgamer90

Banned

Well "AAA" games at least. Indies/digital download only titles will make up for games overall.

It's a good thing IMO since Sony wasted money on a decent number of "AAA" PS3 games that weren't that good. Still wonder where a series like SOCOM would be if Sony put more money into it instead of making new shooter IPs.

FTF

Don't fans consider God of War 3 to be the worst of the trilogy?

Some yeah...but it's like saying Jedi is the worst in the OT...well yeah maybe but it's still freakin really good. Or any other example where 3 things you think are great have to be ranked, etc.

True but so far I am not impressed. The Order doesn't seem my type of game either with so many quick time events and the lack of multiplayer is also disappointing. Drive Club looked like the only decent upcoming game, but hands on impressions were not all that positive. I am hoping Uncharted 4 fares well as I have enjoyed pretty much all Naughty Dog games.

I feel you, but so far it's just fear of the unknown. There's no info, so we don't know.

I won't claim I'm not concerned by all the studio closures over the years and these layoffs (and especially this supposed $75m project that got canned, though not sure if that famousmortimer assertion is correct). However, anything really good to arrive in the first year is basically gravy, on any console.

Yes, but time-to-triangle!

While you are joking, there seems to be a lot of truth to the time-to-triangle thing. Something like inFamous: SS, in technical terms, would have been quite unthinkable on PS3 or even 360 only a few months after launch.

Guys, lets not drift off-topic with God of War comments :)

Speaking on the topic, i have to wonder who will be the new director for Uncharted. If it is Bruce Straley, it would be both good and bad. Good, because the new Uncharted will be promising and bad, because we won't get a sequel to TLOU(By them) or some new IP(For a long time).

kmax

First Hennig, now Richmond. I'm sorry, but this doesn't bode well for UC4. I wouldn't be surprised if this got delayed.

I'm not too concerned, I wish those who leave all the best. Last generation they closed entire studios and still managed good first party output. If they start closing more studios this generation I might feel concerned.

dr_rus

People come, people go. Loosing Amy Hennig was probably the worst blow Sony had during the last month or so. Others - not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom