• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna be all assy and say, "but we have the NHS over here, no ridiculous medical bills", then saw your spurs avatar, and realised you're a really nice guy and I'm an asshole.

So, yeah, anything we could do I'd be up for.
Spurs fans are the best
unlike our football team :(

You know...sometimes people just change jobs. It doesn't have to mean anything other than they wanted to move on more than they wanted to stay. And to be honest, why isn't really anyone else's business.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Come on man that was before I knew he was wrong :(

You've been so adamant on accepting the positive side, and declaring anyone who thinks there could POTENTIALLY be something wrong as hyperbolic. This is what makes me mad about console wars/warriors and issues surrounding their favorite console. I got chastised for saying there was a good chance there was something wrong with the DS4 rubber, and I got chastised in this thread for saying something might be going on at WWS.

Palocca

Sorry to hear about what happened to Col and wish him all the best. However, even if Pete handled things less than stellar, seeing the amount of people in here baying for blood and making snide comments after the fact is a little scary and shows really how fickle some people on this forum really are. This really should serve as a lesson to any more insiders out there to be quiet and observe, lest you get caught up like Pete did.

I think Mort did relay some great info for this forum while he was a member; I know I looked forward to hearing some of his insight/info at times. That said, he really kind've brought it upon himself this time.

He's probably writing an epic blog post about this right now

He will talk about how he didn't intend harm on anyone. He will talk about how he has never considered himself and called himself an insider. He will talk about how he hears things and only passes them on but never states they are facts so he can't be held responsible for what about say about his leaks. He will then talk about how gamez journalism needs to be fixed and he will do it if you donate to his website.

PBY

Banned
He will talk about how he didn't intend harm on anyone. He will talk about how he has never considered himself and called himself an insider. He will talk about how he hears things and only passes them on but never states they are facts so he can't be held responsible for what about say about his leaks. He will then talk about how gamez journalism needs to be fixed and he will do it if you donate to his website.
Wow.

This is so spot on

Elios83

This thread has just demonstrated how poisonous the internet has become. Things get twisted, interpreted according to personal agendas or to best fit a story made up to make hits while the reality is often very different.
People working in the gaming industry are just humans not institutions, they have their private life and if they leave their job it's just their business. Things will go on for both those who have left and those who remain.

mcrommert

Banned

Best reply of the entire thread

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You've been so adamant on accepting the positive side, and declaring anyone who thinks there could POTENTIALLY be something wrong as hyperbolic. This is what makes me mad about console wars/warriors and issues surrounding their favorite console. I got chastised for saying there was a good chance there was something wrong with the DS4 rubber, and I got chastised in this thread for saying something might be going on at WWS.
Do you take the explanation by the former DriveClub game director as further evidence that something is going on at WWS?

Pennywise

Or we have juniors like you, who joined and started your first discussion in the topic about his website, speaking of sony bias and all that bullshit.

nomis

rip "i'm not famousanymortimer" 2014-2014

Now that's good. Where are the quick shoppers to do this up:

fn8uAEd.jpg

bidguy

Banned
Not trying to defend his actions, but hasn't he leaked info in the past? I thought there was another reason people listened to him outside of the DRM campaign.

what did he leak ? honest question

i remember when he claimed the xbox os would be fucked up come launch

or when he was parroting ntkrnl leaks

jschreier

This is an interesting situation. Journalists are trained to be judicious when they use anonymous sources. It's one thing to cite unnamed people while revealing information about a company or a product; it's quite another to cite unnamed people while disparaging someone, especially someone who isn't a public figure. At the very least, if a journalist decides it's appropriate to do that, it's only right to give that person an opportunity to comment before publication.

The idea of a "GAF insider" or "Reddit insider" or whatever is a bizarre new figure that occupies a weird space between journalist and fan, and that can be harmful in situations like this, where the insider doesn't have the experience (or an editor!) to know what's right. Sometimes this can be messy and even harmful to people, as we just saw. It's good that GAF has high standards about these situations, though.

Yes. It's a shame that you won't be able to make posts like this in the future in defense of Sony: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106026920&postcount=3

Maybe I am being stupid in questioning you but
here I go anyway
, isn't Mort verified to some extent? It's hardly LoudNinja's (or anyone else who believed Mort) fault for believeing it.

Some people take his words with more grains of salt than others. Dunno why it became about him 'defending Sony'.

EDIT: Which is not to say, it's not blatantly obvious he likes Sony. It's just kind of incidental.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you take the explanation by the former DriveClub game director as further evidence that something is going on at WWS?

It eases my mind a bit, as far as the potential for "coincidence" and also the state of Drive Club. I'm willing to accept it could be fine, I'm also willing to believe something could be wrong. I don't make claims as fact, and I don't write off either side of the argument as so many people in here have.

This thread is eye opening to me.
Im glad that Col came on here to set things straight.
When you have a lot of people who listen to you, you need to really think before you post things. It can affect peoples lives.

-Mort made some baseless accusations/assumptions about sony's recent 1st party issues, including an assumption as to why the CD of Evolution was no longer there.

-Former CD of Evolution studios comes into thread, clears the air, tells us that he left for very person reason related to the health of his son. Asks mort for an apology.

-Mort retires from gaf, gives no apology, is banned for being an ass.

Shinta

Banned
This is an interesting situation. Journalists are trained to be judicious when they use anonymous sources. It's one thing to cite unnamed people while revealing information about a company or a product; it's quite another to cite unnamed people while disparaging someone, especially someone who isn't a public figure. At the very least, if a journalist decides it's appropriate to do that, it's only right to give that person an opportunity to comment before publication.

The idea of a "GAF insider" or "Reddit insider" or whatever is a bizarre new figure that occupies a weird space between journalist and fan, and that can be harmful in situations like this, where the insider doesn't have the experience (or an editor!) to know what's right. Sometimes this can be messy and even harmful to people, as we just saw. It's good that GAF has high standards about these situations, though.

Even-handed, intelligent commentary. It is pretty interesting how it all plays out sometimes. ntkml breaks stories before everyone, but then you have moments like this where the info is just inaccurate. I guess without an editor or the ability to ask for comment publicly and directly from the source, all you have left is the ban enforcement to maintain any sanity. The downside of that is that it ensures that we listen to amateurs, because all it takes is one big mistake to be out of the "job."

Wynnebeck

Banned
what did he leak ? honest question

i remember when he claimed the xbox os would be fucked up come launch

or when he was parroting ntkrnl leaks

I have no idea! That's why I'm asking y'all! :p

I think Mort did relay some great info for this forum while he was a member; I know I looked forward to hearing some of his insight/info at times. That said, he really kind've brought it upon himself this time.

Oh no doubt. Pete hit that blunt a little too hard, acted a fool, and took the L from EviLore himself. However when you gt comments like:

Awwww. No more fudmousmortimer. How sad.

It just comes across as childish goading like that one kid who blew raspberries at you after he saw you get in trouble with the teacher. Just seems unnecessary is all I'm saying.

R_Deckard

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

I salute you sir for taking the time to come on here and explain yourself, which is something not only WHOLLY wrong and inappropriate but also I would assume very upsetting and frustrating for you.

As a father myself with a son that has had Life threatening illness (in my son's case it was pneumonia at the age of 4) I can sympathise.

I wish your son a speedy recovery and yourself and family all the success with your new projects, thanks for taking the time to inform us internet dwellers.

Pete has replied to my email, and he's going to try to put things right. That being the case, it's all good.

As for helping me out with my boy - thanks very much for the offer, but it's basically a case of time will tell. He's on some pretty obnoxious drugs (steroids and this stuff which is used in chemotherapy), which we're hoping will sort him out. He's being looked after. :)

I appreciate the support, though - genuinely. You guys have restored my faith in humanity and the internet.

Pennywise

That's why it's sad that alot of websites are taking twitter statements into their news.

The good thing about the insiders here is/was that we knew them, and how serious we could take them.
That's obviously something we cannot with the sources from sites like Kotaku.
But as you explained, you got alot of experience and obviously know to use your words.

LastNac

It's like every time we try to talk Uncharted 4 with these big shakeups, the thread nosedives into another topic completely. The Hennig thread became about WWS and a lack of software, got shut down. The Scott Rhode thread got weird too, also shut down.

I'm sorry to see all of this drama go down, but it honestly feels like Uncharted 4 threads are as cursed as Uncharted 4 itself.

PBY

Banned
Pete has replied to my email, and he's going to try to put things right. That being the case, it's all good.

As for helping me out with my boy - thanks very much for the offer, but it's basically a case of time will tell. He's on some pretty obnoxious drugs (steroids and this stuff which is used in chemotherapy), which we're hoping will sort him out. He's being looked after. :)

I appreciate the support, though - genuinely. You guys have restored my faith in humanity and the internet.
Thoughts and prayers are with him.

codhand

atFamousmortimer ‏@atPeteDodd 2m

I have talked to Col Rodgers personally and his side of the story is vastly different than what I posted yesterday on gaf.

look at you with your fancy screenshots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom