• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 144: Lightweight Title - Edgar vs. Bendo - 2.25 - Dancing On The Corpse's Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
The reason why the fight is remotely controversial is because point fighting in the UFC has become so pervasive that if you score fights from that perspective Frankie probably did win. If you don't follow the sport all that closely you probably won't know what I mean.

Fights should be scored by damage and violence, but that doesn't always secure you the decision.

yacobod

Banned
I agree with my good friend yacobod. What is more decisive criteria than determining who beat whom up?

What's funny friend, is that we are seeing a swing of the opinion in a months time between UFC 143 and UFC 144. Do you think their opinions have changed, or perhaps their judgement was clouded by their irrational hate of a fighter participating in the main event?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ufc-134-silva-tko-okami.gif

Lawdhammercy
Man! This looks amazing slowed down.

What was with Okami running away and then getting paralyzed by uppercuts?

yacobod

Banned
what's with the UFC requiring logins and personal information to view their streams now?

referring to their facebook steam.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't think either of them looked rocked at any point in the fight really...you can get a bad cut from a single elbow to the eye socket so that's pretty meaningless as well.

It wasn't a cut. Your eye gets swollen shut like that after repeated heavy blows to the same spot. That's like saying GSP cut Koscheck. Hell, all the kicks Edgar 'caught' did damage too.

I'm glad that the UFC isn't so far gone that they can't recognize a good clean asswhooping.

Instro

What's funny friend, is that we are seeing a swing of the opinion in a months time between UFC 143 and UFC 144. Do you think their opinions have changed, or perhaps their judgement was clouded by their irrational hate of a fighter participating in the main event?

Iirc Diaz's face looked worse than Condit's.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Dana could do a card in Anatartica and still get questions about the Brazil soccer stadium card by a Brazilian press member.

Fuel postfight show showed Fightmetric's numbers.

Edgar:

Sig strikes 68
Total stikes 81
TD 5
TDA 12

Henderson:

Sig strikes 87
Total strikes 100
TD 1
TDA 1

I would give Edgar one less TD, because Henderson clearly pulled guard for that guillotine attempt. But FightMetric doesn't work that way, I guess.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Xy0J1.jpg

10 more total strikes on 52 fewer attempts, 20 more power shots, 7 takedowns to 2...and they didn't even count the knockdown.

Compustrike is broken. Edgar did not land 60 power strikes that fight. I agree with whoever said he might've landed one all night.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Huh, I could've sworn they fought in Sengoku. I wouldn't like that fight on the sole basis that it means Aldo being on the shelf for a while. Give Hioki to Aldo and after that the winner of Zombie/Poirier

Frankie looking sharp in the suit

EYEL1NER

I'm glad we got the decision we got. I thought Bendo was winning the whole fight but my buddy and I were sure Edgar would get it for takedowns and points.

dream

I like how Frank is passive-aggressively campaigning for an immediate rematch.

"What's right is right," he says.

yacobod

Banned
I doubt Dana and company make an immediate rematch.

Frank vs Aldo would be a lot better than watching sacrificial lamb Hioki get tooled.

Heel

I doubt Dana and company make an immediate rematch.

Frank vs Aldo would be a lot better than watching sacrificial lamb Hioki get tooled.

I agree, and that sounds like Uncle Dana's line of thinking.

Bendo vs. Pettis II + Aldo vs. Edgar makes too much sense.

It's weird how every MMA site scored the 3rd for Edgar while the judges all gave it to Henderson. Judging seems so completely arbitrary at this point where everybody has a different idea of what "scores". The Japanese system of grading the whole fight just seems better as a whole.

I agree Henderson won, but that's not really controversial.

yacobod

Banned
bendo doing the whatever dana and joe silva want to do. he should be calling to avenge his loss to pettis imo. champs call the shots.

dream

suits.png

Perfect visual example of the world champion/high school gym teacher dichotomy I've been offended by for the past few years.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I can see a scenario where judges award Edgar rounds 1, 2, and 5. Prior to the upkick, Frankie was dominating round 2.

pettis calling for the rematch/title shot at the presser.

He should. That's money.

And it's a lot better than these lunkheads saying "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me." Snooooooooze. Sell your next fight. Make money. Everybody's happy.

Henderson's interview with Ariel on the Fuel aftershow was great. All smiles.

Said he didn't think he had Frankie after the upkick. He said he knew he was owning Frankie when he was jabbing him early in the third, and Frankie was flinching every time. Said when a guy is reacting like that just to a jab feint, you own him. Ariel asked him if Frankie hurt him at all. He said "do I look hurt to you?" Henderson said, "I see you...making waves" to Pettis.

yacobod

Banned
i figure it stems from the fact that champions can afford to dress like that. other guys are getting peanuts and they gotta get paid, so they wear the ugly sponsor t-shirts.

I can't wait to go through the MMA site's scorecards. Sounded horrible.

Everyone gave Edgar round 1 and 3 and were split on 5 and 2. I think this fight is the perfect example of why a 10-point must system doesn't work for mma, despite the right winner was chosen.

Heel

Everyone gave Edgar round 1 and 3 and were split on 5 and 2. I think this fight is the perfect example of why a 10-point must system doesn't work for mma, despite the right winner was chosen.

I gave Edgar an edge in the 1st (basically giving the champion a close round here) and a definitive 5th (except at the very end). The rest were definitely Bendo to me. He was landing with power all day.

Heel

I guess even after going 2 for 6 on boosts, I'm now 16th out of 6000 on Sherdog. I think everyone took a bath on this card, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom