• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 173 |OT| Memorial Day Weekend Squash Matches brought to you by Zuffa

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
So rematch with Assuncao I would imagine. Or Faber will get yet another title shot.

If it was a close decision, then Barao could get an instant rematch. But Barao got fucking crushed.

I could see the Assuncao rematch. But this is a good breath of fresh air for the division.

ron_bato

Wow, so the new BW champ won't be in the EA Sports game, that's got to be awkard.

Fantastic performance by TJ! What a great fight! He was so impressive with his movement and striking, that overhand right in the first was a thing of beauty! He reminded me a lot of Dominic Cruz with his movement, his strikes were amazing!

Heel

It is on record.

iF2OMi74wCTzk.gif

Well, that's about the expected number of squash matches going into the event, and were it not for the main event, it would have been an entirely predictable card. But credit where it's due, TJ was the clear winner of that bout.

Panzon

Big prop to TJ for that amazing performance. He just won a fan in me tonight. This beat down kinda remind Ed me of Jones vs Shogun

Hope Barao comes back stronger than ever though

industrian

Big prop to TJ for that amazing performance. He just won a fan in me tonight. This beat down kinda remind Ed me of Jones vs Shogun

TJ literally went from "who the fuck is this guy?" to world champion in just under 25 minutes. He's made a lot of fans tonight - myself included.

As for your comparison, not even close I'm afraid. Jones/Shogun wasn't a beatdown. It was an emasculation.

Panzon said:
Hope Barao comes back stronger than ever though

In the post-fight interview he looked broken. I hope this won't affect him, but I see him struggling to get his head back in the game. I see them feeding him someone in the lower rankings at a future Brazil card in order to help him rebound.

Hunter S.

I am so impressed I might actually pay attention to the bantamweight class now. T.J. is really fun to watch. All that cardio giving the energy to keep a fun 5 round fight. He also promises to always try to finish a fight. You got to love that!

VoxPop

Well I thought he was robbed against Assuncao and the premature stoppage in the Dodson fight. So doesn't really have a true loss yet imo. His striking/footwork has been crisp since the beginning and Bang just refined it to perfection. Brilliant performance though and I loved how he went for the finish and got it in the fifth instead of keeping it safe/coasting like most guys would. Godilla era has begun.

Heel

Well I thought he was robbed against Assuncao and the premature stoppage in the Dodson fight. So doesn't really have a true loss yet imo. His striking/footwork has been crisp since the beginning and Bang just refined it to perfection. Brilliant performance though and I loved how he went for the finish and got it in the fifth instead of keeping it safe/coasting like most guys would. Godilla era has begun.

Yeah, people saying T.J. was on a "1 fight win streak" was getting annoying. Watch the fights before judging. Bang and Jeff Mayweather have polished him into a fine diamond. His footwork is OP.

Hunter S.

why the hell wouldnt you before?

I often am distracted by my two other sports NFL and NHL and they happen to conflict with every bantamweight fight ever. Really, I watched some I just am less entertained by the smaller weight classes. A man can change bro! A man can change!

ron_bato

It'll be interesting to see too how TJ's fight camps will now be structured, I'd assume he'd still want to go train under Bang, but his best sparring partners are still at Team Alpha Male. So it could be a situation where he splits time between both.

That TUF season has produced two championship level fighters in Dillashaw and Dodson, and a great fighter in Denis Bermudez. That was one of the last seasons of TUF that I watched, and came away mighty impressed with them at the time, it's good to see that translate in the UFC.

Lazyslob

Banned
It'll be interesting to see too how TJ's fight camps will now be structured, I'd assume he'd still want to go train under Bang, but his best sparring partners are still at Team Alpha Male. So it could be a situation where he splits time between both.

he's not leaving alpha male and seriously doubt he would split his time between camps. just no way

ron_bato

he's not leaving alpha male and seriously doubt he would split his time between camps. just no way

I didn't say anything about TJ leaving Alpha Male.

And TJ has already stated he will still work with Bang even after Bang's departure.

"After he leaves it's going to be the same for me because I'm going to continue to work with Duane," he told FOX Sports. "Obviously it's going to suck not having him every single day for all the fights, but I'm going to fly out and cross train with him in Colorado, fly him out for my fight camps and we'll continue to work. I plan to get my black belt under him, so we'll continue to work."

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...-duane-ludwig-even-after-coach-departs-052414

Jon Jones tweeted: Oh what a day, UFC
https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/470425398518751232

I think Lorenzo and Dana have never gotten over him not taking that fight against Chael Sonnen on short notice. Now they go ahead and announce the date of Jones next fight without even getting confirmation from him first.

Not to mention Cormier looks like a fucking terminator.
Jon gonna turn the fight down like I always said.

What a bitch.

I was busy playing Watch_Dogs during the event so let me just make the posts I would've posted.

"My heart says TJ but my head says Barao."

"OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!"

"TJ's dominating"

"LIEUTENANT FUCKING DAN!!!!"

I think Lorenzo and Dana have never gotten over him not taking that fight against Chael Sonnen on short notice. Now they go ahead and announce the date of Jones next fight without even getting confirmation from him first.

I'd say he's gonna look like a T-rex with those short little arms trying to reach Jon Jones.

industrian

"I went into that gym looking up to all those guys."

Unless you're 4'7" I don't think that's true, TJ.

Bloodwake

I can't wait until someone kicks Jones's ass. Never liked the guy. Although tonight really made me not feel like I missed out on Hendo and Jones.

It was really depressing to see Dan Henderson get completely dominated like that. I almost turned off the fights and went to bed after that because I expected more of the same from Barao.

It was so good to be wrong about the outcome of the title fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom