• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

93dVCoU.jpg

UFC winding Askren up, lol. Fixed.

8Ow5oLE.jpg

xXy8GFi.jpg

Source, other cards & starting times in your area.

Free fights for event & other media

Main card stacked, so will stay up. Hope Holly lasts past 1st round. Amanda just looks too good for most in her division (needs to fight Cyborg or bullet if she wants competition imo).

I'll be cheering for Santos to beat Jones, he's a better matchup for Bones & with the power he has, it could be an upset (fingers crossed).

Jorge v Ben could go either way. Distance & combos could get Jorge the win, just no wrestling. Otherwise Askren will keep it going.

P.s. HYPE.

Holm vs Nunes is an interesting matchup. Holm at least has the skills to go all five rounds with Nunes but I’m not sure where I can see her winning. If Nunes gasses hard maybe Holm could score a submission, or maybe land a headkick from hell. But my first instinct is to bet on Nunes pretty confidently.

I said this when the matchup was announced but I have a hard time seeing Masvidal / Askren looking very different than Robbie / Askren. I’m sure Jorge will throw some great shots early but I don’t see him being able to do much once Ben gets his arms around him.

Not official predictions yet, just thinking out loud.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Holly is going to get beat up.
Masvidal about to get squished.
Jones is a cheat and on PEDs fuck him

edit: here's mark hunt to elaborate
f8fe5b18cf6078ad27531689c1f5af32.png

Last edited:
Ehhhh

Sleeping on Holly Holm is never a good idea.

She’s clearly the underdog, and should be, but I’m not entirely decided on that one yet. This isn’t Jessica Eye vs Bullet Valentina. Holm is a very skilled fighter.

I don’t see Masvidal winning unless he can land something insane out of nowhere.

I have a hard time picking Jones to lose at 205 for quite awhile still. If he goes up to HW, then things get interesting.

The fight I’m most confident in is Chiesa over Diego. But I haven’t made my picks yet.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Ehhhh

Sleeping on Holly Holm is never a good idea.

She’s clearly the underdog, and should be, but I’m not entirely decided on that one yet. This isn’t Jessica Eye vs Bullet Valentina. Holm is a very skilled fighter.

I don’t see Masvidal winning unless he can land something insane out of nowhere.

I have a hard time picking Jones to lose at 205 for quite awhile still. If he goes up to HW, then things get interesting.

The fight I’m most confident in is Chiesa over Diego. But I haven’t made my picks yet.

LHW has usually been a tougher division that HW. Who is at HW that you think would beat Jones?

Here’s what I’m going with

Jones over Santos:

Jones has a granite chin and off the charts in-cage fight IQ. I just don’t see him losing at 205 right now. No disrespect to Santos. Strong as hell, super dangerous. I’m gonna go 4th round TKO for Jones

Nunes over Holm

I wanted to put my upset of the week prediction on this one but I just think Nunes is too powerful. I see a 5 round decision going to Nunes with mostly 49-46 scores all around, I see Holm stealing a round late.

Askren over Masvidal:

There’s something about this fight that screams “Upset Alert” to me, like Jorge is gonna pull off some finish because it’s just one of those “anything can happen in sports moments.”

But, I just watched a bunch of Jorge’s fights to see if there’s anything that inspires confidence in me regarding his ability to counter grapple/neutralize Ben’s game and I just don’t see it. I like Jorge. I’ve watched him since he was a teenager doing street fights for Kimbo’s crew. I just don’t see it happening. I see a similar fight pace as Robbie/Ben. Ben’s just too much, imo. Too physical. Bad matchup for Jorge. Jorge does have submission skills that are probably underrated but I don’t think it’s enough. Probably a 15 minute takedown and pummel clinic. Kinda hope I’m wrong on this one.

Rockhold over Jan

I think Rockhold is gonna have a resurgence at 205. Dude is so well rounded as a fighter, so many skills, just a dumbass. Not very bright. I think he’ll finish Jan, maybe first round.

Chiesa over Diego

Lead Pipe Lockdown Pick of the Week: I have zero faith in Diego winning this fight at this point in his career.

I’ll probably be wrong on most of these. There’s some real upset appeal in the Nunes/Holm fight and the Masvidal/Askren fight, but I’m not brave enough to actually pick em

Dynasty8

Damn good card. Excited mostly for Askren and Masvidal. Absolutely no respect is going to be shown between those two.

manfestival

The Funky One gets asked about Jorge not showing up for media obligations

Top comment - Ben "The Roman Statue" Askren
so good haha

I do feel that Asken is a mismatch for Jorge. I watched Jorge on the JRE and he is aware of what everyone is saying. While I don't think he has a chance, I will still root for homeboy Masvidal. Also it seems like everyone and their mother wants to fight Askren and Colby Covington lol

Also my predictions would be the same as yours.

Last edited:
Top comment - Ben "The Roman Statue" Askren
so good haha

I do feel that Asken is a mismatch for Jorge. I watched Jorge on the JRE and he is aware of what everyone is saying. While I don't think he has a chance, I will still root for homeboy Masvidal. Also it seems like everyone and their mother wants to fight Askren and Colby Covington lol

Also my predictions would be the same as yours.

Yeah, I personally feel the mismatch is somewhat similar to Rose/Andrade in the sense that some people are just more physically powerful than others, period, regardless of similar/same weight on the scale. When it comes to anything grappling related Ben just has a natural and substantial raw strength advantage over Jorge. If/when Ben get's Jorge wrapped up I don't think there is much Jorge can do. We'll see though.

I think the key to solving Askren is being able to match his physicality. There are guys at 170 in the UFC who have the talent to do that, namely Usman and Colby.

It's not out of the question that Jorge lands a shot clean perfectly placed on Ben's button and rocks him or shuts the light off. Probably pretty unlikely, but possible. Jorge is crafty.

manfestival

Yeah, I personally feel the mismatch is somewhat similar to Rose/Andrade in the sense that some people are just more physically powerful than others, period, regardless of similar/same weight on the scale. When it comes to anything grappling related Ben just has a natural and substantial raw strength advantage over Jorge. If/when Ben get's Jorge wrapped up I don't think there is much Jorge can do. We'll see though.

I think the key to solving Askren is being able to match his physicality. There are guys at 170 in the UFC who have the talent to do that, namely Usman and Colby.

It's not out of the question that Jorge lands a shot clean perfectly placed on Ben's button and rocks him or shuts the light off. Probably pretty unlikely, but possible. Jorge is crafty.
No doubt about that. He powered through Robbie. Robbie is just another tough brawler like Masvidal. One could definitely argue that Robbie has more firepower too.

Holly should have the better boxing, with her history, so I give her a decent chance to cause an upset, given Nunes' love for throwing hands. Unfortunately for her opponents, Nunes tends to land when she throws said hands.

Should be a good fight. Watch Holly get iced in 10 seconds now.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Holly should have the better boxing, with her history, so I give her a decent chance to cause an upset, given Nunes' love for throwing hands. Unfortunately for her opponents, Nunes tends to land when she throws said hands.

Should be a good fight. Watch Holly get iced in 10 seconds now.

Nunes is also on that good shit; she hits hard AF for a woman at her division.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great card, fighters have to be careful they don't get killed even though 90% of the time they don't, UFC still feels young and seeing Americans (Holly, Bones Jones etc) dominate MMA is great.

The most likely outcome I see is Holly absorbing an insane amount of damage while maybe stealing a late round but ultimately losing a unanimous decision.

I see her trying to move and bait Amanda but it probably won’t matter, Holm will land counters but when Amanda lands, she lands bricks.

She’ll probably try to drag some takedowns like she did against Megan but Amanda is just so strong.

We’ll see though. I’m excited.

I honestly could see Holly retiring if it’s a bad, bad loss.

FIGHT WEEK

VLOG WEEK

What chance do you give Santos of winning? I give him 5% chance.

Yeah probably 5-10 percent chance. Crazy strong power always gives you a chance, but other than landing just a flush shot right on the button for a flash KO, I don't see how else he gets the job done. I see Jones wearing him out and getting a TKO in the 3rd or 4th.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Please no injuries. Please no injuries. Please no injuries.

Super excited to see Askren back in their. Hoping to see Jan starch Rockhold cold. I'm hoping Holms can shock the world(though I doubt it). And who knows, maybe Santo's style is wild enough that he just pulls a miracle and catches Jones be surprise.

giphy.gif

Please no injuries. Please no injuries. Please no injuries.

Super excited to see Askren back in their. Hoping to see Jan starch Rockhold cold. I'm hoping Holms can shock the world(though I doubt it). And who knows, maybe Santo's style is wild enough that he just pulls a miracle and catches Jones be surprise.

This is one of those cards where I almost dread seeing the thread getting bumped because I immediately think "someone got hurt." Though, it does feel like we are on a pretty decent streak, injury wise. Other than Woodley/Lawler

Sometimes we get stretches where it feels like every main event is a late replacement.

Last edited:
dem side main events YUM. Holm Nunes, if anyone has the skillset for Nunes it's Holm. I miss Holm mania when she was champ after rousey. Everyone was in love with her. She even did a cool ride along interview with Jaime Fox. So cool. Askren Masvidal so stoked.

Winter John

Gold Member
I guess Nune's plan will be to slow Holly's movement and try to grapple her as quickly as possible. I don't think she'll go in swinging in the first round like she did against Cyborg. I'd actually like to see Holm do that. She's always been a patient, reactive fighter. For once I'd like to see her swarm her opponent. .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I only heard of Ben Askren after the Lawler fight, then I watched some old clips of him.

Love this guy.

He doesn't look like a fighter, doesn't even look muscular, barely does strikes, yet can take a punch and has stupendously awesome wrestling skills.

I only heard of Ben Askren after the Lawler fight, then I watched some old clips of him.

Love this guy.

He doesn't look like a fighter, doesn't even look muscular, barely does strikes, yet can take a punch and has stupendously awesome wrestling skills.
Dad bod is the bod of champions.

tenor.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing johnny walker smash luke rockhold either
I just want to see more JW all together. On his very first fight in the UFC I remember just thinking....

source.gif

I've been saying for a while that Johnny Walker is crazy enough that he might be able to beat Jones by simply ripping his own arm off and beating Jones with it. Which to be fair to all light heavyweights, a fighter holding his own arm at length would finally be able to match Jones reach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom