• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

mekes

Wow, now Jorge actually deserves to have every YouTube highlight reel of him backed with the scarface music!

Cant help but feel it was a little naive on Ben's part. Awesome k.o tho. Hopefully Ben is ok, fingers crossed for him.

Carton

I missed the last prelim and main card live unfortunately and had to go into hiding from spoilers until I could finally watch it. It’s always fun reading the thread after the fact and seeing everyone’s reactions as it was unfolding.

Some lovely BJJ by Chiesa, but, much like the commentators, I have to seriously wonder about Diego’s training. He’s still got some endurance and he is always game, but his grappling skills have markedly deteriorated.

The brutal KO of Rockhold has to have him seriously considering his goals in the sport herein and how realistic they are.

Askren vs Masdival was just pure trauma. I felt like I got a headache from just witnessing it.

Beautiful high kick from Nunes.

I thought Santos won. I would have given him 1, 2 and 5. Jones might’ve beaten him in numbers, but Santos’ kicks were thudding and his hands far more threatening when they landed. The knee injury was a real pity.

Drake

Crazy to see Askren get Ko'd so fast. Even the greats get tagged once in a while. Lennox Lewis was brutally KO'd by Hasim Rahman with one punch. Granted that was a 5th round KO.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Rockhold has gotta retire after this. For such a big jaw, dude has no chin at all.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Rockhold has gotta retire after this. For such a big jaw, dude has no chin at all.
Well when you never keep your hands up or tuck in your chin with 0 head movement, prepare to hit the floor

Last edited:
I think both Holly and Luke should consider retirement. Holly is damn near 40 and could easily get a gig doing ESPN work.

Luke has a successful modeling career and he just isn’t the same guy he was 3-5 years ago. He used to be an absolute beast when he was fighting Jacare back in the day. Insanely well rounded, skills everywhere. I just don’t see it anymore.

At least he is being real. I can't believe he actually leaned his head into that flying knee

You gotta listen to Masvidal’s interview

“His face is a magnet for crotches, and if a dude tries to put his face near my crotch there’s a heavy toll to pay. A heavy toll.”

“He thought it was just gonna be a three piece meal but he got the whole MGM Grand Buffet to face.”

(When told that some people feel the punches were unnecessary)

“They were super necessary.”

Cold blooded killer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think both Holly and Luke should consider retirement. Holly is damn near 40 and could easily get a gig doing ESPN work.

Luke has a successful modeling career and he just isn’t the same guy he was 3-5 years ago. He used to be an absolute beast when he was fighting Jacare back in the day. Insanely well rounded, skills everywhere. I just don’t see it anymore.

“His face is a magnet for crotches, and if a dude tries to put his face near my crotch there’s a heavy toll to pay. A heavy toll.”

“He thought it was just gonna be a three piece meal but he got the whole MGM Grand Buffet to face.”

“They were very necessary.”

Cold blooded killer.

Hahaha. He's got a point.

If you watch Askren clips, he does mostly wrestling, where he often does that move with his head in their crotches and pushing forward to pin them on the fence. Weird move, but some fighters do it. Don't get why the guy getting pinned doesn't just elbow the guy's head or back as hard as he can.

Dana calls Jorge’s flying knee “brilliant” and while that’s certainly accurate, it was also very risky. If that knee misses then all you’ve accomplished is basically running straight into the arms of one of the most accomplished grapplers in MMA. Beautiful payoff.

Interesting hearing Jones say he expects he a rematch with Santos then hearing Dana say “not interested” in rematch.

MMA fighters react to Masvidal win

(starts at 2:58)

Side note:

Claudia says she wants third fight with Joanna.

Ehhhh, I dunno...maybe if Joanna loses to Waterson

edit

I thought this would be more awkward considering that Chael and Ben are close friends and Bisping had beef with Jorge back in the day

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dana calls Jorge’s flying knee “brilliant” and while that’s certainly accurate, it was also very risky. If that knee misses then all you’ve accomplished is basically running straight into the arms of one of the most accomplished grapplers in MMA. Beautiful payoff.

Interesting hearing Jones say he expects he a rematch with Santos then hearing Dana say “not interested” in rematch.
That knee KO is a 1 in a million chance and it worked. The majority of flying knees, superman punches, spinning back fists and other cool look moves miss badly. Great on him, especially since he and Askren were smack talking.

KO'ing with a flying knee is like hitting a home run, but most of the time a strikeout.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
MMA fighters react to Masvidal win

(starts at 2:58)

Side note:

Claudia says she wants third fight with Joanna.

Ehhhh, I dunno...maybe if Joanna loses to Waterson

edit

I thought this would be more awkward considering that Chael and Ben are close friends and Bisping had beef with Jorge back in the day

They sort of squashed their beef after the Till fight.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
That Knee was the most incredible moment in MMA I've seen in a while. My buddy who is a casual fan but comes over to my house to watch the fights sometimes was literally like, " I get it now, now I see why this sport is amazing". Awesome night of fights. Was happy Rockhold got the business, I didn't think it was a close Jon Jones fight at all, seems like Jones controlled the fight the entire time. Nunes was a monsters, Jorge is on fire and I love it. China has a new up and comer with an awesome knockout. All in all, just an awesome night of fights. Just a great job and magical performances from a lot of people.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
vw8unmdmmu831.jpg

such a bs stoppage

in all seriousness I'm glad I did not wake up to find out askren is wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. That shit was truly frightening. I don't watch mma to see people get sprinting flying knees to the head. The best part is people having problems with the 2 punches that followed after that knee - what a joke, those punches are love taps compared to the power of a running knee when you are leaning into it.. Ben knows the stakes and would have no problems with it whatsoever. I think masvidal will lose to usman since that guy is juiced, and perhaps askren can beat Till and these two can have another go. It's a shame we didn't see this play out like Aldo/McGregor

Overall I'm very impressed with bones too. He played it extremely smart in a match up that is bad for him. People think it was a close fight, and on the scorecard it might have looked that way, but Jones for 5 rds nullified any chance of Santos winning. In my eyes he won 5-0. Like he said it was 100% a chess match. Very high level fight - best fight since Mcdonald/Gracie. Props to Santos.

Last edited:

manfestival

Definitely one of the best UFC cards in a while. Mad love and respect for Nunes. She is the real deal. I knew that the moment she became champ. Rousey was always trash

vw8unmdmmu831.jpg

such a bs stoppage

in all seriousness I'm glad I did not wake up to find out askren is wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. That shit was truly frightening. I don't watch mma to see people get sprinting flying knees to the head. The best part is people having problems with the 2 punches that followed after that knee - what a joke, those punches are love taps compared to the power of a running knee when you are leaning into it.. Ben knows the stakes and would have no problems with it whatsoever. I think masvidal will lose to usman since that guy is juiced, and perhaps askren can beat Till and these two can have another go. It's a shame we didn't see this play out like Aldo/McGregor

The “Askren Early Stoppage” jokes were all over the place last night. Internet is savage

Last edited:
rousey is a hell of a judo master, she's not trash

she's just not a brawler

Yeah, Rousey beat women who beat Holm and Nunes. Ronda never got punched by anyone with real power until she fought Holly, and in her fights that weren’t over in 20 second was always showed a lack of defensive striking awareness. She ate lots of lazy shots against Tate but Tate’s not a serious KO threat.

When Ronda started believing she was the female Mile Tyson and went away from her grappling it was just a matter of time before her chin got exposed.

(Nunes is way better now than she was back then, but just saying)

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
vw8unmdmmu831.jpg

such a bs stoppage

giphy.gif

I'm glad Ben's okay because I legit thought he had a serious issue. How long we was locked up, how dazed he was after he finally did wake up. Just crazy. I'd really like to see Ben in an actual fight instead of these back to back freak things happening. Yeah, Usman is crazy big for the division. Gorge is on a tear, let him keep going, I totally want to see Masvidal and Covington do it and winner takes Usman when he's healthy. Or Masvidal and Colby maybe do a Interim Champ fight.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
lol makes Askren look predictable as fuck. Everyone will be going for jumping knees on him now

Ol'Scratch

“They were super necessary.”

Cold blooded killer.

Not going to lie, the first couple times I watched it I swear to got I was laughing with my friend that it looked like he knocked him cold with his junk.

highrider

Banned
I’m still kind of surprised by Rockhold. Man what a quick fall. And to be smashed on a break like that. It’s like dude, hands up. Serves him right though, he’s reliably been a dick with none of the charm of a legitimate heel.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Askren taking the loss like a champ, maybe not as good as Till, but who has to be fair? Curious about 2 things. Who will the UFC match him up with next and is he going to be susceptible to that same knee early on going forward.

Edit: i was thinking of wonderboy, not till.

Last edited:
Askren taking the loss like a champ, maybe not as good as Till, but who has to be fair? Curious about 2 things. Who will the UFC match him up with next and is he going to be susceptible to that same knee early on going forward.

Edit: i was thinking of wonderboy, not till.

I think he fights Till next, both guys need time off to recover, both need a W, and have setup the buildup with barbs going back a few months. In the past, the UFC has liked putting ranked guys coming off losses against each other.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think he fights Till next, both guys need time off to recover, both need a W, and have setup the buildup with barbs going back a few months.
Id like to see him go up against another wrestler. Let’s see what happens with colby and robbie.

Askren’s suspension feels short. Aug 21 before he can train and September before he fights again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom