• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 264: Poirier vs. McGregor 3

Who wins the trilogy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lmao nice kick by Mcgregor.

"Your wife is your husband"

Youtube Meme GIF

Last edited:
Conor looked like a shall of himself in the press conference.

Like Dustin said, he needs to be that way because he feels that's his way of trying to recapture the magic.

But he just can't.

Conor needs to stop trying to relive his glory days and just tread a whole new path as himself within the context of where he is life right now.

Idk why he thinks turning up his aggressive persona was going to help, besides pandering to the fans, after being a gentlemen in the last fight.

It just yells insecurity, and that he is unsure of who he needs to be, or what he needs to be.

You can see it in the trash talk, you can see it how he tries imitate his own self as he walks, and you can see it in his demeanor.

It almost feels like watching Jose Aldo during his time with Conor, except Conor is now in the shoes of Aldo - a man afraid he's about to lose it all in the fight game.

I don't think this means Conor will lose, or this is an easy win for Dustin; but I can't help but feel like Conor has gotten himself in his own head.

Either way, gonna be a banger of a fight.

MastAndo

Conor sounded like someone doing a Conor impression at that press conference. He's always been a dick (other than the build up to their second fight), but it's less hilarious and effective when the guy you're shit talking dropped you a few months ago. It seems contrived now.

That said, I still think this is a toss up. Conor, even with his best days behind him, still has that dynamite in his fists and can catch Dustin and end it. I really don't want to see that, but I can certainly imagine it going that way and can't count him out of any bout against a predominantly standup fighter.

\

Not gonna lie, Stephen A. Smith is the only real person out here asking Conor actual questions instead of pandering towards him.

Best interview so far, and the one where you can really see Conor being put in an uncomfortable place being asked hard questions that so many avoid asking him directly.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah Conor's whole shtick is realy transparent and tiresome rn. Same goes for his low IQ stans. Mate you got all the money, is it really necessary to reboot and continue this facade for the sake of generating hype? I pity those who buy into his so called animosity towards Dustin.. Oh well he's playing the game, right? I'm sure the children are enjoying themselves. Gotta please the simps

Last edited:
\

Not gonna lie, Stephen A. Smith is the only real person out here asking Conor actual questions instead of pandering towards him.

Best interview so far, and the one where you can really see Conor being put in an uncomfortable place being asked hard questions that so many avoid asking him directly.

Saw 1 minute clip of that, don't say Khabib if you want a calm interview. Triggers him to shit.

Saw previews of this on Sherdog, comes out Monday.

C9PKqoO.jpg

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
Ok watched the damn thing, conor talks EXACTLY like his 2018 version against khabib but a bit less aggressive and far more cringe, now i really want dustin to fuck up this dude...

Its weak as hell. Its just not he same anymore. Its like he is trying to convince himself to be the old Conor but just can't do it. Like his heart isn't in it. I dont think it will matter at all in the end. But he's clearly not having fun doing that anymore like he used to.

It would be an incredible humbling if Dustin can do it again. Dustin is legit. But I do think Conor is overall a better more dangerous fighter. Especially for couple of rounds. It wont be as easy for Dustin if Conor is really mixing it up, rather than just pure boxing. Conor will obviously go back to the kicks.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Its weak as hell. Its just not he same anymore. Its like he is trying to convince himself to be the old Conor but just can't do it. Like his heart isn't in it. I dont think it will matter at all in the end. But he's clearly not having fun doing that anymore like he used to.

It would be an incredible humbling if Dustin can do it again. Dustin is legit. But I do think Conor is overall a better more dangerous fighter. Especially for couple of rounds. It wont be as easy for Dustin if Conor is really mixing it up, rather than just pure boxing. Conor will obviously go back to the kicks.

Yeah I can't blame him for going back to his bread 'n butter.. That persona is a huge pull and more importantly; got him to his top. All around understandable behaviour I'd say. With that said it's quite jarring to see when it's so transparent.

Like you said he's very dangerous. He's very skilled and at home in the cage. Therefore a very constant threat. If only he knew people recognized his level beyond his persona he could be humble and menacing at the same time..

I wonder if his approach this time around was manufactured beyond his own will to do so, if at all.

Last edited:

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
If Conor doesnt check those leg kicks, game over again.

Not necessarily. He can just kick the Dustins calf back. Make it a calf kick war, thus neutralising that advantage. He can also employ more conventional kicks to keep Dustin at range. The thing is Conor is a better kicker than Dustin. Stronger and better technique. So he could do the whole calf kick war, but that might not be what he wants to do.

Due to Conors extremely wide stance, and fighting another south paw, its very very difficult to check calf kicks properly. Even when you do check the kicks the other guy catches the flesh and not the bone, because you can't turn the leg outside enough to present the bone. So i dont think checking kicks is going to be the main way he goes about trying to stop that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not necessarily. He can just kick the Dustins calf back. Make it a calf kick war, thus neutralising that advantage. He can also employ more conventional kicks to keep Dustin at range. The thing is Conor is a better kicker than Dustin. Stronger and better technique. So he could do the whole calf kick war, but that might not be what he wants to do.

Due to Conors extremely wide stance, and fighting another south paw, its very very difficult to check calf kicks properly. Even when you do check the kicks the other guy catches the flesh and not the bone, because you can't turn the leg outside enough to present the bone. So i dont think checking kicks is going to be the main way he goes about trying to stop that.
I don't think that bilionaire conor want to risk a destroyed leg like weidman\silva, he has powerfull leg kick but one good check from dustin and the risk is there, even if it's pretty rare, the fact that it happened recently can instill fear in a guy that probably doens't have the fighter heart\dog in him anymore.

I know it sound like reaching, but if i was a bilionaire, i would never risk a leg amputation, even in the fight game (weidman was very close to that).

I think that is the main reason why every fucking fighter in the roster doens't use calf\leg kicks even if you can literally win a fight with them, when they get checked it hurts like a motherfucker\risk of breaking a leg.

(but maybe i'm talking out of my ass and conor is gonna win by leg kicks, who knows)

Last edited:

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
I don't think that bilionaire conor want to risk a destroyed leg like weidman\silva, he has powerfull leg kick but one good check from dustin and the risk is there, even if it's pretty rare, the fact that it happened recently can instill fear in a guy that probably doens't have the fighter heart\dog in him anymore.

I know it sound like reaching, but if i was a bilionaire, i would never risk a leg amputation, even in the fight game (weidman was very close to that).

I think that is the main reason why every fucking fighter in the roster doens't use calf\leg kicks even if you can literally win a fight with them, when they get checked it hurts like a motherfucker\risk of breaking a leg.

(but maybe i'm talking out of my ass and conor is gonna win by leg kicks, who knows)

Loads of fighters are using calf kicks now, where before like almost no one did. Probably the single most influential move in UFC in the last few years. But yes, Dustin can check a kick far more easily than conor.

But yeah, that is why i said maybe Conor doesnt want to do that. But I think he will. Because he isnt going to be able to check them well. Most checked kicks by far only hurt, they dont destroy your leg, so dont think that would stop him.

I do predict Conor will throw calf kicks, but could be completely wrong.

"the unschooled masses of mouthbreathers around us"

-Joe Rogan talking about fans booing

Like yeah they're assholes but they're some of the few people actually still paying for this shit product. Might not want to insult them on one of the biggest cards of the year. Especially considering the mouthbreathers that are on the "analyst" team (Bisping, DC, and Rogan). Very unprofessional as usual.

Carton

"the unschooled masses of mouthbreathers around us"

-Joe Rogan talking about fans booing

Like yeah they're assholes but they're some of the few people actually still paying for this shit product. Might not want to insult them on one of the biggest cards of the year. Especially considering the mouthbreathers that are on the "analyst" team (Bisping, DC, and Rogan). Very unprofessional as usual.
Also, whilst I appreciated the novelty of Hall’s approach, I can completely understand why many wouldn’t enjoy the repetitive and rather sloppy attempts to wrap up Topuria — he saw them from a mile away and was countering perfectly.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
dam just a minute left maybe they should've let him finish the fight he was still walking

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
lol this green hair guy is taking shots
Props to him.

I have never seen a fighter take that many shots and still keep coming. He was slowing down a bit the last minute, but still active.

Nah that boy needs to go straight to the hospital. Took like 150+ punches to the face. What a fuckin clinic.
I think they said the count was at 200(?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom