• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman 3 - London, England - March 18

Who wins: Edwards or Usman? Gaethje or Fiziev? Vettori or Dolidze?

• Edwards, Gaethje, Vettori.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Edwards, Fiziev, Vettori.

• Edwards, Gaethje, Dolidze.

• Edwards, Fiziev, Dolidze.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Usman, Gaethje, Vettori.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Usman, Fiziev, Vettori.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Usman, Gaethje, Dolidze.

• Usman, Fiziev, Dolidze.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Fartist

Gold Member
Usman split decision or unanimous.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not surprised but I guess looking at Usman being the aggressor it's easy to see how Usman could have lost.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
deducted point didn't make a difference lol maybe usmans knee problems were really giving him problems I thought he'd wrestle a lot more, but Edwards kept defending all his take down attempts very surprising to me Congrats to Edwards on winning the trilogy. if masvidal wins in april against burns that might be the next fight even though Colby was the backup fighter.

SpiceRacz

Not super invested in that fight. That was the correct decision though. Thought for sure the judges were gonna fuck that one up. Didn't help that Cormier was calling rounds for Usman that he clearly lost.

Usman looked surprisingly tired in spots and visibly slower. Also didn't look like he had a strength advantage either this time around. That was more decisive than I think some people realize. Can't see how anyone could call that for Usman.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not an Usman fan as his fights are often grapple and fence pinning contests, but considering Edwards got called by the ref for:

- two crotch shots
- fence hold leading to a point deduction AND having the fighters reset to the middle when Usman had a grapple on him
- glove grab

He basically tried to cheat his way to winning. His low blows were so frequent, he and Usman thought he did a third one as both fighters back off, but Herb Dean said it was ok and good to go.

However, Edwards take defence was crazy good.

If you didnt watch the fight, it was a decent stand up match with little grappling. But neither fighter was really hurt or gassed. They could had fought a round 6 an 7 if they wanted to.

A close match though. I thought with the 1 pt deduction it would be a draw. But Edwards still won.

FireFly

Not an Usman fan as his fights are often grapple and fence pinning contests, but considering Edwards got called by the ref for:

- two crotch shots
- fence hold leading to a point deduction AND having the fighters reset to the middle when Usman had a grapple on him
- glove grab

He basically tried to cheat his way to winning. His low blows were so frequent, he and Usman thought he did a third one as both fighters back off, but Herb Dean said it was ok and good to go.

However, Edwards take defence was crazy good.

If you didnt watch the fight, it was a decent stand up match with little grappling. But neither fighter was really hurt or gassed. They could had fought a round 6 an 7 if they wanted to.

A close match though. I thought with the 1 pt deduction it would be a draw. But Edwards still won.
Usman was a given a 10-8 for the third round (with point deduction) by 2/3 judges. So I don't think he was disadvantaged there. The issue was he lost the other rounds. And realistically he didn't land many clean shots and just spent the time pressuring and attempting takedowns, which Edwards stuffed. Even with another point deduction for the glove grab + extra groin shot, he would still have won.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I feel like we'd be seeing Khamzat against Leon if he didn't have issues cutting weight. Oh well, Colby vs Leon should be solid.

welterweight fight I want to see most is shavkat vs khamzat dana says they're trying to set up shavkat vs belal and if shavkat wins he's one spot behind khamzat so that might be the next fight for khamzat if shavkat can get the W over Belal

Ballthyrm

welterweight fight I want to see most is shavkat vs khamzat dana says they're trying to set up shavkat vs belal and if shavkat wins he's one spot behind khamzat so that might be the next fight for khamzat if shavkat can get the W over Belal
I don't think Khamzat is Shavkat level.
He looked vulnerable against Burns and Shavkat is a more complete fighter.

mxbison

Good fight by Edwards, I wish he would've used his hands some more but whatever. Nice takedown defense.

Also I think Fiziev won that fight. Rd 1 for sure and Rd 2 close but still. Even if you score the third 10-8 (which it wasn't) that would just be a draw.

GymWolf

Good fight by Edwards, I wish he would've used his hands some more but whatever. Nice takedown defense.

Also I think Fiziev won that fight. Rd 1 for sure and Rd 2 close but still. Even if you score the third 10-8 (which it wasn't) that would just be a draw.
Fiziev won, no doubt, justin only won round 3.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don't think Khamzat is Shavkat level.
He looked vulnerable against Burns and Shavkat is a more complete fighter.

I think in the Burns fight he wanted to stand to put on more of show and do less grappling, but he is pretty emotional and wastes energy starting stuff with other fighters which would probably hurt him in the run up he needs to calm down and not take stuff personally. I think they're both high level grapplers, but maybe shavkat has an edge in striking I need to see more of their fights

Joramun

I agree that Colby doesn't deserve the tile shot yet (because there's a possibility of him winning).

But you can't really deny your boss if he wants you to fight somebody. He's essentially saying no to a task being assigned to him.

He can debate Dana about why Colby shouldn't get the title shot, but at the end of the day it's a business and it's all about the $$$$$ being generated.

Especially now that the UFC is owned by a publicly listed holdings company.

FireFly

I agree that Colby doesn't deserve the tile shot yet (because there's a possibility of him winning).

But you can't really deny your boss if he wants you to fight somebody. He's essentially saying no to a task being assigned to him.

He can debate Dana about why Colby shouldn't get the title shot, but at the end of the day it's a business and it's all about the $$$$$ being generated.

Well it will depend on the terms in his contract. I am curious how much leeway fighters get since they regularly seem to be able to duck out of big money fights.

Joramun

Well it will depend on the terms in his contract. I am curious how much leeway fighters get since they regularly seem to be able to duck out of big money fights.
True. Fighters need to employ a good lawyer/manager when dealing with Dana and the UFC. In saying that, I don't like managers that have a ton of fighters on their roster (Ali) since he can also easily manipulate fighters.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Full Interview:

I don't think he'll get stripped Leon probably will just go along with it, but if he sits out may be they'll do an interim title fight

Top Bottom