• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC-GAF Presents The Ultimate on Fox 3 Official Thread - 209 ERA Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
UFC-on-Fox-3-Diaz-Miller-poster.jpg

When:
Saturday May 5, 2012
The Main Card will be on FOX at 7 p.m. Central Time
The Preliminary Card will be on Fuel TV at 4 p.m. Central Time
Fuck East Coast and West Coast Times

Why you should watch:
Nate Diaz returned to the lightweight division after an unsuccessful stint at welterweight and has rattled off two consecutive wins over PrideFC legend Takanori Gomi and WEC favorite Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.
Diaz will be facing a top 10 lightweight in Jim Miller and will have a lot to prove in the fight. Can he avoid being taken down and held down by Miller? If he's taken down, can he get up to avoid the wrestlefucking?
Nate Diaz has a very crowd pleasing style employing the Stockton Slap to great effect combined with his fantastic submission game. Most fighters are afraid to take him down, but Jim Miller possess good wrestling and BJJ to avoid Nate's submissions.
Dana White has promised young Nate Diaz the next title shot if he defeats Jim Miller. Joe Silva had to remind Dana that they already promised Showtime Pettis the next title shot, so it remains to be seen what the significance of this fight will be.
Frank Edgar and Benson Henderson have to complete fights 2 and 3 of their trilogy before we can move forward in the lightweight division.

Don't be scared homie!

5.gif

diazpellegrino.gif

Diaz and Miller Weigh-in Video

THE CARD

Preliminary card (Facebook)
Middleweight bout: Mike Massenzio vs. Karlos Vemola
Bantamweight bout: Roland Delorme vs. Nick Denis

Preliminary card (Fuel TV)
Featherweight bout: Dennis Bermudez vs. Pablo Garza
Lightweight bout: Danny Castillo vs. John Cholish
Flyweight bout: Louis Gaudinot vs. John Lineker
Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Pascal Krauss
Flyweight bout: John Dodson vs. Tim Elliott
Lightweight bout: Tony Ferguson vs. Michael Johnson

Main card
Heavyweight bout: Pat Barry vs. Lavar Johnson
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Alan Belcher
Welterweight bout: Josh Koscheck vs. Johny Hendricks
Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller

Gambling Odds:

UFC on FOX 3 Odds For The Main Card:
Pat Barry (-200) vs. Lavar Johnson (+160)
Rousimar Palhares (-285) vs. Alan Belcher (+225)
Johny Hendricks (-130) vs. Josh Koscheck (EVEN)
Jim Miller (-230) vs. Nate Diaz (+180)

UFC on FOX 3 Odds For The Under Card:
Nick Denis (-275) vs. Roland Delorme (+215)
Danny Castillo (-130) vs. John Cholish (EVEN)
Karlos Vemola (-120) vs. Mike Massenzio (-110)
John Dodson (-500) vs. Timothy Elliott (+350)
John Lineker (-325) vs. Louis Gaudinot (+250)
John Hathaway (-230) vs. Pascal Krauss (+180)
Dennis Bermudez (-185) vs. Pablo Garza (+150)
Tony Ferguson (-270) vs. Michael Johnson (+210)

Community:
Official UFC-GAF Chat Room
Server - irc.mibbit.net
Channel - #MMA-GAF

Does Dana "Fucking" White Hate the fans?

Exhibit 1:
ufc%20on%20fox.jpg

Compared to Exhibit 2:
UFC-on-Fox-Poster-NEW.jpg

Compared to fucking Exhibit 3:
UFC-on-Fox-3-Diaz-Miller-poster.jpg

I'd have to say the answer is emphatically YES. It should come as no surprise however because the pay-per-view Ultimate cards are just as diluted. Dana White doesn't give a damn about any of you fans.

ENJOY :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Looks like The Rock is fighting Pat Barry. Hopefully Palhares takes home Johnny Cash's leg.

This looks way better than the previous Fox card. But yes, UFC doesn't seem to know what to do with their outlet into the mainstream.

Heel

Uncle Dana thinks he can build new PPV stars by marketing mid carders as main eventers on primetime television. I can't blame him for trying, but Jim Miller will never be a draw.

Centurion

Banned
If UFC is really getting 90 million a year from Fox, you'd think they'd try a little harder to get bigger names on the cards. They wanna do just enough to draw in fans, while leaving their stars for the ppvs.

Uncle Dana thinks he can build new PPV stars by marketing mid carders as main eventers on primetime television. I can't blame him for trying, but Jim Miller will never be a draw.
Even with his sick nephew t-shirt campaign and random fans walking out with him?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
They do it all the time. Like UFC in Aus, first we got a numbered event then we got..... I dunno, Mighty Mouse. They hook you, gain your trust and then fuck you in the ass with a Koschek shaped toilet brush and take your money.

Still a decent card and will probably have better fights then the other 2. ..

Heel

Will Jake be cornering Nate? Hoping that Mayhem swoops in from the rafters like Sting with another primetime television rematch request.

yacobod

Banned
Nate Diaz said:
"That was actually the main reason I wanted to go train," he said. "I didn’t have any money. At home we didn’t have s--t. I was starving all day. So if I went to train I’d get something to eat. Sometimes I’d be sitting at home and it was like, well, if I go train with Nick I’ll get something to eat afterwards. If I don’t I’ll just sit here and be hungry. ...I was going for burritos and dinner, and hey, I wanted dinner every day. Before I knew it I was a blue belt."

Article on Nate Diaz growing up in the shadow of his brother and in the 209. Pretty decent read here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think this card is really good in terms of entertainment value for MMA fans. I've totally come to accept that Dana will never figure out how to attract mainstream fans, so the whole thing about not having name fighters on the card doesn't even bother me anymore. I'll take this set of fights over the previous two Fox cards any day.

Will watch. My first exposure to UFC was via the free UFC PPV betas from Xbox Live, which I am eternally grateful for. However, they failed to sell me on shelling out the rediculous amount of money they want for a PPV. So at this point the only amount of money UFC is getting from me is via a +1 attendance record at a random bar with some friends of mine, or a +1 Nielsen rating or from whatever product I purchase because I saw it advertised on Fox.

Not hating, just telling the truth from a UFC newbie.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
diaz-miller is an awesome matchup. miller might be one of the few guys tough enough to hang with and not get frustrated by diaz and his fights are almost always entertaining.

koscheck-hendricks i feel like is a good matchup. i guess that really hinges on hendricks power and tdd though.

barry-johnson is so damn good. smart of ufc to actually keep johnson relevant for one more entertaining fight.

palhares-belcher is the only one i'm not sure about. i just don't see how belcher has a chance. but palhares is nuts so even that one's interesting anything could happen etc.

diaz-miller is an awesome matchup. miller might be one of the few guys tough enough to hang with and not get frustrated by diaz and his fights are almost always entertaining.

koscheck-hendricks i feel like is a good matchup. i guess that really hinges on hendricks power and tdd though.

barry-johnson is so damn good. smart of ufc to actually keep johnson relevant for one more entertaining fight.

palhares-belcher is the only one i'm not sure about. i just don't see how belcher has a chance. but palhares is nuts so even that one's interesting anything could happen etc.
Ya, I pretty much agree with this assessment. I think Miller is more exciting than people remember. His name, lack of personality and fact that he's a wrestler makes people not like him, but he's got a lot of finishes.

But of course, Diaz is why I want to watch. If it were Miller vs say Edgar or Guida, I'd be less than enthused.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I want to see Whosimar Paul Harris stun Belcher with a punch and before the fight is called, run up to the fence and celebrate ala the Dan Miller fight.

Got my Avengers tickets changed to 1:00 BCT so I'll just miss the Facebook prelims and a couple of the Fuel fights. I'll just stream the Denis fight later in the day. Hyped for the main card though it should be great.

Barry at -200 is bizarre. I only see him winning if he goes crazy with leg kicks, or drilled some specific submission a million times and takes it to the ground.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

not the best card, but watching 209 get wrecked should be fun.

Eric Hall

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Preliminary card (Fuel TV)

Main card

This will be way better than the other two Fox cards, not like that is saying that much though. I also expect Miller/Diaz to be pretty close, but Miller gonna get that hometown favoritism and take the match haha

VASPER

Banned
Damn both Diaz brothers are such thug headed fighters in general, and their stair downs are like a street fight in the making.

Dysun

I just hope Miller doesn't do a 5 round grindfest, the card is ok if you discount that as a possibility

That was a great fight. Overall, seems like a great card in terms of matchmaking (and big improvement over the last Fox card), though I can see some of the main card fights turning out average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom