• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Xbox One/PS4 will be 1080p/30fps w/motion blur

EA Canada creative director Brian Hayes has confirmed to GamingBolt that EA Sports UFC will be running at 1080p and rendered at 30 FPS with motion blur.

In an exclusive interview with GamingBolt, we asked him what resolution and FPS rate the next generation MMA title would run at, to which he replied:

“UFC is running at 1080p. The game sim is running at 60 FPS, but rendering at 30 FPS with motion blur. From prior experience working on Fight Night Round 4 and Fight Night Champion, which rendered at 60 and 30 FPS respectively, we discovered that 60 FPS didn’t have a hugely beneficial impact on gameplay, but motion blur had an enormous impact on visual quality. In fact, when we focus tested the two, the majority of people preferred the 30FPS experience with motion blur. So, as opposed to arbitrarily jumping back to 60 FPS for little discernible benefit, we decided to put those resources towards improving the visual presentation of the game in other ways.”
Via Gaming Bolt

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Works for me.

Can't wait to play that game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
With motion blur!

I kind of laugh when features like this have to be touted. Good to hear the 1080p on both though.

These will be 2014 games so I suspect the time to cook will benefit.

Majanew

Banned
Can't wait to see some gameplay. Please don't screw this game up, EA. Could be this gen's Fight Night Round 3.

The lack of a new Fight Night bums me out. The UFC games were always garbage to me; FN Champion did some great things, until they ruined it with those bullshit tuners.

rjc571

Banned
Fighting games at 30 fps... LMAO

Can you imagine if Capcom announced Street Fighter V, and decided to make it run at 30 fps because a bunch of children told them that they liked it better with motion blur?

Fighting games at 30 fps... LMAO

Can you imagine if Capcom announced Street Fighter V, and decided to make it run at 30 fps because a bunch of children told them that they liked it better with motion blur?

Yeah, you might want to think about that for a moment. Street Fighter moves at lighting speed compared to a UFC game. Apples to Oranges my friend.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Question (maybe a stupid one) but Motion blur can compromise the framerate? i remember Naughty Dog adding it to one of the Uncharted games without the framerate taking a hit or i'm just confused?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Dat 30 fps next gen standard

Thanks for putting me in a bucket. ;)

I'm frankly not picky when it comes to 30 frames+, below that and I start to notice. And that's been my standard all gens, so dat 30 fps all gen standard. guilty.

Marvel

could never
I wouldn't really notice the lack of motion blur when I'm smashing someones face in on the mat tbh... 60fps for fighting games should be more important.

foogles

Silly. Actual live UFC broadcasts come through at 720p 60fps. They want authenticity and closeness to the actual live events, then I'd rather that than 1080p30.

danmaku

Question (maybe a stupid one) but Motion blur can compromise the framerate? i remember Naughty Dog adding it to one of the Uncharted games without the framerate taking a hit or i'm just confused?

No, it's not a computational heavy effect. In fact, motion blur is added to make the game look smoother. Low framerates look less janky if you add motion blur. Lost Planet ran like ass on my old PC, but it had so much motion blur it looked decent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Uncharted 3 had a glitch with the motion blur. It was being calculated but not applied which is why the patch didn't have an effect on the framerate. Motion blur does impact the framerate but not too much on a modern GPU, they're probably doing more than just motion blur in the 30fps build.

StuBurns

Banned
Isn't this more play testing, rather than focus testing?
They said focus testing, so I'm going to say focus testing.

My understanding is that focus testing is to aid in direction, play testing is to aid in execution. I guess you could argue either way with this, but I went with what they called it.

Loomba

Not too thrilled, but honestly the pace of the combat is usually much slower than standard fighting games.

Need to see some gameplay videos to decide really.

RetroStu

Banned
I am playing Fight Night Round 3 again at the moment (30fps) and it seems just as smooth as Round 4 (60fps), its a bit slower but totaly smooth, it also looks a ton better than the plastic looking fighters in Round 4. Its amazing how good it still looks to be honest.

RetroStu

Banned
Next gen consoles are still running games at 30fps? Yikes.

Why do people always say this at the start of a new generation?. The bulk of games will always be 30fps with a few 60fps games here and there as the consoles get more poweful but the graphics also get better which cancels it out. Developers also want to push the graphics over framerate most of the time anyway.
The only time we will ever get 60fps as standard is if Microsoft/Sony say that all games have to be 60fps.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Next gen consoles are still running games at 30fps? Yikes.

Why wouldn't they be? I don't know why people think 60 fps is going to be some kind of standard. It's not. Devs are always going to go for what's flashier unless it's something online focused like Call of Duty or Titanfall or fighting games.

Arkam

1080p/30fps... cool. Though I was never worried as EA Sports MMA looked fine to me.
I just hope the game plays well and has an expansive roster.

IF this game has a PrideFC mode with a decent amount the old roster I will be forced to pick up a X1/PS4 as soon as this is released.

everyone-talks-too-much-o.gif

Less talking, more showing.

v1lla21

The thought of a next gen Fight Night is driving me crazy! Just imagine the graphics!! I believe streaming Fight Night and UFC fights on next gen would be pretty cool to watch. Specially when they are really good players.

Remember when EA couldn't get their sports games to run at 60fps on PS3 while it was on the 360? I wonder why they're able to hit parity with the Xbone.

Edit: Also, add it to the current tally of 1080p Xbone games

Top Bottom