• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ufouria coming to VC! Thanks Vic

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
With this and Sin and Punishment, I think VC is now complete. For me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey I remember reading about this game in one of those old phonebook sized EGMs from back in the day. It was a Sunsoft mascot game if I recall correctly. Kind of looked like something sanrio would do.

Awesome! Are they all coming out during July-August? Maybe even across the next three weeks...

Edit: Missed it, they ARE all coming out during July-August :D

Enk

makes good threads.
Ufouria freaking rocks!

Anyone who likes Metroid-styled games and good old school platformers will more than likely love this.

vireland

Nuclear Muffin said:
Awesome! Are they all coming out during July-August? Maybe even across the next three weeks...

The timing is still a little fluid, but all of them will be released by the mid-end of August, in the order listed in the press release.

I really pushed hard for Ufouria (Hebereke) because it's a great game that's fun and surprisingly relaxing to play. Maybe it's the music? I dunno. I was trying to release a "dialed back" version that had the English translation, but all the original Japanese graphics, but I lost that battle. Still, it's a great game that I hope is supported strongly. The more support we get for the releases I'm pushing as "fan requested" (because they are), the more of them I'll be able to get approved (and there's quite a few - Journey To Silius, Batman, Mr. Gimmick, Waku Waku 7, etc, etc).

vireland said:
The timing is still a little fluid, but all of them will be released by the mid-end of August, in the order listed in the press release.

I really pushed hard for Ufouria (Hebereke) because it's a great game that's fun and surprisingly relaxing to play. Maybe it's the music? I dunno. I was trying to release a "dialed back" version that had the English translation, but all the original Japanese graphics, but I lost that battle. Still, it's a great game that I hope is supported strongly. The more support we get for the releases I'm pushing as "fan requested" (because they are), the more of them I'll be able to get approved (and there's quite a few - Journey To Silius, Batman, Mr. Gimmick, Waku Waku 7, etc, etc).

So how is it getting made? Are you just taking the EU ROM and running it in 60hz or have you had to edit it in some way to get it to work?

Just curious and thanks again, you guys rock! :D

vireland said:
The more support we get for the releases I'm pushing as "fan requested" (because they are), the more of them I'll be able to get approved (and there's quite a few - Journey To Silius, Batman, Mr. Gimmick, Waku Waku 7, etc, etc).

This one seems, if not impossible, then highly improbable.

Celine

xir said:
With this and Sin and Punishment, I think VC is now complete. For me.
Bu bu bu but Mr Gimmick !
and dare I say Chameloen Twist.

EDIT:
Oh shit I forgot Waku Waku 7 that game rocks. Also Cosmic Fantasy 3 would be sweet.

vireland said:

I really pushed hard for Ufouria (Hebereke) because it's a great game that's fun and surprisingly relaxing to play. Maybe it's the music? I dunno. I was trying to release a "dialed back" version that had the English translation, but all the original Japanese graphics, but I lost that battle. Still, it's a great game that I hope is supported strongly. The more support we get for the releases I'm pushing as "fan requested" (because they are), the more of them I'll be able to get approved.

Thanks Vic for at least trying. I do appreciate that much. I don't know how people would take to having the JP version released on the US VC for the extra price. But that's just a thought though. So I'm guessing that Journey to Sillius, Super Spy Hunter, Waku Waku 7and Valis are next. I can only hope so. Thanks again for holding us down Vic.

vireland

Green Scar said:

Impossible never stopped me from trying, and improbable is basically the same as "no problem", right? We've been talking to Warner for a while now because there's a ton of Warner/DC games in the Sunsoft back-catalog. We'll see what happens.

Enk said:
Anyone who likes Metroid-styled games and good old school platformers will more than likely love this.

That sentence has a lot of words in it that I like

Metroid
games
good
old
school (combined with word "old" not by itself)
platformers
love

vireland said:
Impossible never stopped me from trying, and improbable is basically the same as "no problem", right? We've been talking to Warner for a while now because there's a ton of Warner/DC games in the Sunsoft back-catalog. We'll see what happens.

Rightfully, it's in their interest to agree to it anyway! Don't give up!

Man, I really need to get my own Wii. I've been able to hold off and spend my cash on retail titles to play on my GF's system the past few years, but there's a shitload of VC and Wiiware games I want to get my hands on, but won't purchase because of Nintendo's shitty transfer policies.

vireland said:

If only everybody had the same attitude as you! :lol That's awesome that you're actually talking to Warner, hope they let this happen.

sfried

Celine said:
This. I want Mr. Gimmick and that beautiful music.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Man, I really need to get my own Wii. I've been able to hold off and spend my cash on retail titles to play on my GF's system the past few years, but there's a shitload of VC and Wiiware games I want to get my hands on, but won't purchase because of Nintendo's shitty transfer policies.
That didn't stop me from getting Gradius II and Sin & Punishment for it.

FoneBone

Green Scar said:
yeah, I will hope for the best, but I think there's a reason why only one licensed title has ever appeared on VC (other than LucasArts' games, which are an anomaly because of the nature of the licensing)

sfried said:
This. I want Mr. Gimmick and that beautiful music.
That didn't stop me from getting Gradius II and Sin & Punishment for it.
I got World of Goo and LostWinds as presents for my GF (and maaaaayyyybe a little bit to play them myself... maybe) but I can't justify loading the system up with titles I'll want to repurchase when I finally scoop up a black Wii. Games I've held off on puchasing:

Lostwinds 2
Bit Trip series
NyxQuest
Toki Tori
Cave Story
Contra Rebirth
Castlevania Rebirth
Rondo of Blood
Sin and Punishment (have the N64 cart however)
Alien Soldier
DoReMi Fantasy

And now Ufouria and La-Mulana are on the horizon. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others as well.

-KRS-

Awesome!
As a Sunsoft and U-four-ia fan though, I already have the game, so I probably wont buy it.

I hope that all the good Sunsoft games comes out for VC so that more people will play them. Especially this game and Mr. Gimmick, because those two games are REALLY under-appreciated and over-looked on the NES.
I think U-four-ia is the better game of those two though. Mr. Gimmick is awesome but I beat it half a week after buying it, and now I beat it every time I play it in like half an hour. U-four-ia is way bigger and takes some hours to get through. Plus it has more variety with the four characters. The level design is also great, and the bosses are entertaining (though not very challenging, except maybe for the last one). All in all I think U-four-ia is one of my favorite NES games in my collection.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Always wanted to play this game, it's nice to see you keeping the VC alive, Vic... also when are we getting Exile? :D

thomaser

Ufouria is a great game! I had tons of fun with it back in the NES days. Very nice graphics, EXCELLENT music and very interesting gameplay. Kinda like a simplified Metroid with lots of quirks. And you can change characters (who each have vastly different characteristics) on the fly. Only downside was the stupid password system where you had to draw a huge grid and fill in the squares with three or four different colours. I have two or three of it in my NES collection. You know, just in case.

And please, please release Mr. Gimmick! It's in many ways my favourite Sunsoft-game for the NES. The graphics rival Kirby's Dreamland, and the music is damn good (again). The stages are very varied and imaginative. It has a brilliant "weapon" that can be used both to take out foes and to get to seemingly impossible-to-reach ledges... if you're good enough. It's hard to master to say the least, but oh so satisfying. I've never seen anything quite like it in any platformer since. The game is very, very hard, though, so a VC-release with save-states might help me get through it at last. I have two or three of this game too. Complete games go for A LOT to collectors.

Gameboy415

Great news! :D

This is one of the few Famicom games I was never able to find/afford during my time in Japan.

Just out of curiosity, why not release the European version (which I assume is in English)?
Is it because of some PAL/NTSC issue?

vireland

djtiesto said:
Always wanted to play this game, it's nice to see you keeping the VC alive, Vic... also when are we getting Exile? :D

PC-Engine VC stuff is a little complicated if you're not Hudson. For example, on the WD titles, you have WD (rights), Sunsoft, Hudson, and Nintendo to deal with. Hudson is the de facto publisher of the content, so they get a cut, too. Even on non-WD titles (Telenet titles, for example) you still have the extra layer of Hudson. It's not a problem, it's just a little more time-consuming because of the extra layer.

Working on all that, though. As long as the current VC releases are supported, I'll be working on more.

vireland

Gameboy415 said:
Great news! :D

This is one of the few Famicom games I was never able to find/afford during my time in Japan.

Just out of curiosity, why not release the European version (which I assume is in English)?
Is it because of some PAL/NTSC issue?

Just came out in Europe about two weeks ago.

Wait, are we getting the European release of Ufouria or the Japanese version? Is the Japanese version in English?

Also, what are the chances of us getting Sunsoft's NES Batman game. That was the best Batman game for a long, long time and I'd love to have it on my Wii.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, this looks nice. Will defiantly going to download it, guessing it going to be 600 points due to being an import?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Celine said:

EDIT:
Oh shit I forgot Waku Waku 7 that game rocks. Also Cosmic Fantasy 3 would be sweet.

oh shit, yeah Mr Gimmick is the other one. Lickle came out in the states right? Little Samson?
Wouldn't mind 8 Eyes either even though it's BAD

Arozay

I don't have a Wii but I remember all of those games, wasn't aware the US never had them released. Ufouria was one of my favourite games that I never ended up owning.

sfried

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I got World of Goo and LostWinds as presents for my GF (and maaaaayyyybe a little bit to play them myself... maybe) but I can't justify loading the system up with titles I'll want to repurchase when I finally scoop up a black Wii. Games I've held off on puchasing:

Lostwinds 2
Bit Trip series
NyxQuest
Toki Tori
Cave Story
Contra Rebirth
Castlevania Rebirth
Rondo of Blood
Sin and Punishment (have the N64 cart however)
Alien Soldier
DoReMi Fantasy

And now Ufouria and La-Mulana are on the horizon. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others as well.
You do know you could transfer purchases, even if it means sending both systems in to Nintendo.

Top Bottom