• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)

All this shows is that it's a losing fight and Sony shouldn't be such assholes about letting people run unsigned code.

Edit - This is fanjita? Dang, that guy's really had some staying power in the PSP scene. Longer than Dark_Alex, even.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't it have made sense if they kept quiet about the exploit until the new PSP hardware revision was out?

Zen

Banned
Aristotlekh said:
All this shows is that it's a losing fight and Sony shouldn't be such assholes about letting people run unsigned code.

Edit - This is fanjita? Dang, that guy's really had some staying power in the PSP scene. Longer than Dark_Alex, even.

So assholes can rip PSP games from the net instead of actually buying them? Yeah have fun with that, unsigned code can't be allowed and don't fool yourself the amount of people who would use that feature to make games or legitimately apps are in the minority.

Wait I have Lumines can someone please explain to me what does this mean I can do with my PSP now? I know I sound like a noob, but thats because I am.

itschris

super funk said:
Wait I have Lumines can someone please explain to me what does this mean I can do with my PSP now? I know I sound like a noob, but thats because I am.

You can't do anything right now, but if they release a downgrader that uses this Lumines exploit, you'll be able to downgrade to 1.5. Once you're at 1.5, you can install custom firmware and use homebrew.

Schrade

super funk said:
Basically, for people who have upgraded their Firmware to the official Sony 3.10-3.50 firmwares they now can downgrade that firmware (Once they release the downgrader) to Sony official 1.5 and then upgrade that to Dark_AleX's 3.40 OE-A or the soon to be released 3.50 OE-A.

Currently there is only the proof of concept "Hello World" program showing they have the proper access to run HEN-D and the downgrader.

mandiller

Awesome news! Now everyone will be able to enjoy PSP homebrew. Dark_Alex OE firmware is the only way to go with the PSP.

Schrade

mandiller said:
Awesome news! Now everyone will be able to enjoy PSP homebrew. Dark_Alex OE firmware is the only way to go with the PSP.
Yeah it's not just the homebrew but the ability to rip your UMDs you own and put them on memory stick. Talk about battery life!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zen said:
So assholes can rip PSP games from the net instead of actually buying them? Yeah have fun with that, unsigned code can't be allowed and don't fool yourself the amount of people who would use that feature to make games or legitimately apps are in the minority.

Yup, I completely agree.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
HomerSimpson-Man said:
So this means I can buy a new PSP and expect a downgrader soon?!

Last I checked, most PSPs still come preinstalled with older (cracked) firmware.

BocoDragon said:
Last I checked, most PSPs still come preinstalled with older (cracked) firmware.

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Aristotlekh said:
Yes, because the rest of the consumer electronics manufacturers let people run unsigned code on their products, Sony is the only holdout. Why won't they just allow unsigned code like all their peers, such as MS and Nintendo, do?

allarise

oo Kosma oo said:
People who don't own Lumines don't deserve to have a PSP in my book.

agreed.

hmm. I have a 3.4 psp and lumines. I was about to put them up for sale or trade in at EB in the next few weeks. Assuming a downgrader comes out soon, do you guys think its worth it to hold on to the psp or what?

PSP HACKED? Who knew?

Next thing you know we'll be hearing stories about Xbox 360s failing, Wiis selling like hotcakes, and the PS3 not having rumble.

This is as crazy as cats and dogs living in harmony!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Zen said:

**** off, I'm not miss out on something awesome just because most people will abuse it. Sony needs to get off the homebrew scene's balls.

You know what, I don't want this to turn into another homebrew = piracy bitchfest thread, so never mind the huge post I just wrote. Can we try to stick to the subject at hand and not divert it to the same old argument that's been around since the day devhook came out?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Brobzoid said:
Sony needs to get off the homebrew scene's balls.
Since when have they really been on their balls? Homebrew scene seems to thrive on a persecution complex.

Raistlin

Zen said:

I'm a professional SW engineer ... and I completely disagree.

Ramune

*Hugs his copy of Lumines* I knew you were more than just a fun puzzler good buddy! Guess I'll finally let 3.03 go to 3.50.....only to attempt to go back down to 1.50 once more. Hopefully this time will be met with success.

zoku88

Hmm

website said:
Right now, the only homebrew is the Hello World demo released below - but in future we intend to release a HEN and downgrader.
Does that mean the other homebrew apps for the PSP aren't compatible?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
zoku88 said:
Hmm

Does that mean the other homebrew apps for the PSP aren't compatible?
At the moment, yes. But if they get a downgrader working, that will allow custom firmware to be installed that can run homebrew.

zoku88

kaching said:
At the moment, yes. But if they get a downgrader working, that will allow custom firmware to be installed that can run homebrew.
I think I'll wait until that time before I use this. Bookmarked for the future.

Onix said:
I'm not entirely serious.

I'll buy one to play anyway :D Isn't it still available new?
I think it's discontinued now, but someone should have some new ones still. I was kind of eyeing it up today, but I already have Lumines 2, so I was like...naaah. Guess I'll go get it tomorrow before it gets expensive.

Top Bottom