• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)

Zen

Banned
Brobzoid said:
**** off, I'm not miss out on something awesome just because most people will abuse it. Sony needs to get off the homebrew scene's balls.

So Sony needs to allow people to write unsigned code so you can take advantage of something because you're a selfish cheapskate who doesn't seemingly respect the rights of companies to get a return on the product they've invested time people and money into? There's a difference between legitimate homebrew and what goes on with the PSP scene. By in large the PSP homebrew scene is used for pirating games, that's why Sony can't allow it, and your insistence that Sony should allow unsigned code and thereby allow pirating, only makes you guilty be association even if you yourself don't use it for pirating games.

If you want to take advantage of it while it's there (and will likely always be there) by all means. Condoning it when it's a scene of mass piracy are two different things. Sure I use it, but not in the way that pirates do, and it's naive to think that most people who are savvy enough to crack their PSPs won't use it to pirate games.

Onix said:
I'm a professional SW engineer ... and I completely disagree.

That's your prerogative, since you're a professional SW Engineer I'd be willing to bet that the amount of people that you know who would have legitimate interests for an open PSP would be a lot higher, but taht doesn't change that by in large while the scene produces great unsigned code, is mostly used as a pirating initiative.

What I would love to see if a legitimate Homebrew environment on the PSP, that's something Sony should really try to implement in a fashion similar to Xbox live Arcade or software based apps that aren't necessarily games. Stuff should be submitted to Sony for approval (so Basically anything that doesn't infringe on copyrights or result in the pirating of games is ok and would be authorized in some manner) but this homebrew scene needs to be shut down.

Basically the only reason people would want to hack the PS3 is to pirate games, once the RSX is unlocked they'll have no excuse at all aside from the truth behind what really drives the homebrew scene on a console once the people who generally have good intentions have opened the system up.

Raistlin

Zen said:
That's your prerogative, since you're a professional SW Engineer I'd be willing to bet that the amount of people that you know who would have legitimate interests for an open PSP would be a lot higher, but taht doesn't change that by in large while the scene produces great unsigned code, is mostly used as a pirating initiative.

What I would love to see if a legitimate Homebrew environment on the PSP, that's something Sony should really try to implement in a fashion similar to Xbox live Arcade or software based apps that aren't necessarily games. Stuff should be submitted to Sony for approval (so Basically anything that doesn't infringe on copyrights or result in the pirating of games is ok and would be authorized in some manner) but this homebrew scene needs to be shut down.

Basically the only reason people would want to hack the PS3 is to pirate games, once the RSX is unlocked they'll have no excuse at all aside from the truth behind what really drives the homebrew scene on a console once the people who generally have good intentions have opened the system up.

If Sony simply opened up the features that the 'hacked' firmware offers ... I'd be more than happy with that.

As for PS3, I completely agree.

If RSX is opened up, and the upcoming XBMC Linux version is optimized for PS3 ... There is utterly no legit reason to want the console hacked.

Zen

Banned
I was overly aggressive with those two posts for some reason :|

Well anyway, Sony would be better served expanding the features of the PSP and coming up with some PSP custom app initiative then only locking down the home brewers with each successive update.

Big_T

Wario64 said:
:lol

Does that include the used stuff?
i think so.

The game page show that the game is (Discontinued by manufacturer) so if they found a downgrader the price of the game will be high.
i still have lumines from launch.

nofi

Dammit. I sold my copy ages ago and I saw it today in Gamestation for £6. I thought - that would be fun to play again.

And now I'll bet it's under lock and key.

Sho Nuff

Banned
My PSP broke two days ago and I bought a new one and this news make-a me happy :)

BTW, in Akihabara today I saw a 2.0 PSP used, for SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. I don't think they're up on the whole downgrading scene.

Pimpwerx

Next month's NPD thread should have a special lookout for Lumines sales. That might be one of the better indicators of how large the PSP hacker scene is.

Anyway, Sony is so ****ing stupid. There is a legitimate gaming reason to hack your PSP, the drastically reduced load times of games. Seriously, the UMD drive is a handicap. Sony has a network that they're already downloading tons of demos from, why not unlock the ability to play games off the stick? Until then, they can expect people to continue to want to crack the thing in order to get around long load times that detract so much from portable gaming. The PSP is so much more than what Sony has allowed so far. Their loss. PEACE.

Durante

Zen said:
That wouldn't work, how would I test and debug my homebrew? I can't send every build to Sony. Basically, what would be ideal on all platforms is what they do on PS3, except with GPU access and the ability to write apps that plug directly into the OS. If you have true security you can just have those apps run at a different access level from games, based on encryption keys for example. I agree that if that were the case, there would be no legitimate reason for hacking a device. Well, except improved load times...

Anyway, until such a thing happens I'm happy that more people get to enjoy the benefits of homebrew. I should really update Crystalise sometime, it still only runs on 1.5 I think.

Brannon

Pimpwerx said:
Anyway, Sony is so ****ing stupid. There is a legitimate gaming reason to hack your PSP, the drastically reduced load times of games. Seriously, the UMD drive is a handicap.

The UMD drive isn't just a handicap, it's a redundant piece of crap. They could just put the games on specialized memory sticks and sell them like cartridges in order to reduce load times and increase battery life. I mean, what can the UMD drive do that the memory stick can't do a thousand times better?

There is nothing.

Durante

DJ Brannon said:
I mean, what can the UMD drive do that the memory stick can't do a thousand times better?
UMDs are much cheaper than memsticks at 2GB? Also, where would you put user data/saves? You'd at least need a second memstick slot - unless you want to go back to the archaic times of limited saves bound directly to the game, which are the thing I hate most about cartridge games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hcoregamer00 said:
Wow, that is pretty insane.

I could use is for my PSP, but do I really want to? That is the question.

Uh, why wouldn't you once a downgrader comes out?

Here are the downsides:
- You have to wait a month or so to upgrade to the latest firmware
- You have to put up with doofuses online accusing you of piracy because other people do it even if you don't.

Here are a few of the upsides that I use:
- You can rip any of your legit PSX games and play them on your PSP with essentially no load time
- You can rip any of your legit UMD games and play them on your PSP with essentially no load time
- You can take as many games as you can fit on the go with you. I believe I have 15 games on my PSP right now; four or five of them are PSP games, the rest PSX.
- If you play without the UMD drive, your battery life will increase substantially
- Access to the fourth backlight brightness level
- You can add functionality like being able to take screenshots of games while you're playing them, use the USB mode while doing other things, customize your cross media bar
- You can run an FTP server on your PSP so you can transfer files wirelessly from any computer.

soco

Durante said:
unless you want to go back to the archaic times of limited saves bound directly to the game, which are the thing I hate most about cartridge games.

except in this case, you could probably still transfer your saves to your computer. it's got enough ram that it could probably even let you copy it to ram, and then back to a new memory card.

i think the market of copying saves off of cartridges is relatively small, so it wouldn't matter so much in the end anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
soco said:
except in this case, you could probably still transfer your saves to your computer. it's got enough ram that it could probably even let you copy it to ram, and then back to a new memory card.

i think the market of copying saves off of cartridges is relatively small, so it wouldn't matter so much in the end anyway.

Why not just have two memory stick ports? It's not like it'd cost anything to add another one, and this could be beneficial in several ways besides--because you wouldn't have to give up the psp's media player capabilities and if you did feel like giving them up, you could bring two games at once.

Durante

Well, I guess you're right - for the cost/size of one UMD drive they could easily add 4 memstick ports. But that still doesn't change the fact that 2GB memsticks are still much more expensive than UMDs - and that's over 2 years after launch.

Durante said:
Well, I guess you're right - for the cost/size of one UMD drive they could easily add 4 memstick ports. But that still doesn't change the fact that 2GB memsticks are still much more expensive than UMDs - and that's over 2 years after launch.
less is much more?

derder

Just an FYI

Lumines was 12.99 at my Circuit City today. They had about 5 copies.

No reason not to pick this up if you haven't already.

reminder

amazongain.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
This'll spur PSP sales oddly enough because current ones weren't able to have homebrew launched on 'em.
But a part of me feels sad knowing that the primary reason for this is still probably piracy. :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Stumpokapow said:
Uh, why wouldn't you once a downgrader comes out?

Here are the downsides:
- You have to wait a month or so to upgrade to the latest firmware
- You have to put up with doofuses online accusing you of piracy because other people do it even if you don't.

Here are a few of the upsides that I use:
- You can rip any of your legit PSX games and play them on your PSP with essentially no load time
- You can rip any of your legit UMD games and play them on your PSP with essentially no load time
- You can take as many games as you can fit on the go with you. I believe I have 15 games on my PSP right now; four or five of them are PSP games, the rest PSX.
- If you play without the UMD drive, your battery life will increase substantially
- Access to the fourth backlight brightness level
- You can add functionality like being able to take screenshots of games while you're playing them, use the USB mode while doing other things, customize your cross media bar
- You can run an FTP server on your PSP so you can transfer files wirelessly from any computer.

- You can play games like Outrun Coast 2 Coast at the clockspeed they were obviously ****ing developed for ;)

Top Bottom