• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)

MoxManiac

Mmm, my CC has some lumines on discount. going top pick one up. My psp is already hax, but it would be nice to have just in case.

lol sony lol

reminder

USA:
usa.png

Japan:
japan.png

UK:
uk.png

Germany:
germany.png

France:
france.png

neptunes

The Faceless Master said:
lol GH version AND Original~
I don't think anything was changed between the two versions.

I also believe they've stopped pressing new copies of the game, so once this is all bought up, no more.

neptunes said:
I don't think anything was changed between the two versions.

I also believe they've stopped pressing new copies of the game, so once this is all bought up, no more.
i was just marveling in the game holding two spots...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
INSANE!!!

Lookin' at those bumps on the charts it seems as us Euroland guys sadly confirm ourselves as Capt. Sparrow's land... (not talkin homebrew here guys)

sparrow-731380.jpg
europa.gif

Haunted

HOLY ****ING CRAP
/cvx

bububu 'Why is Sony even bothering to stop homebrew?'

Dash Kappei said:
INSANE!!!

Lookin' at those bumps on the charts it seems as us Euroland guys sadly confirm ourselves as Capt. Sparrow's land... (not talkin homebrew here guys)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
drohne said:
so...japanese version of lumines will work, i take it?

Eventually, undoubtedly. I think the only thing that was stopping them is that they didn't have a JP UMD on hand.

That said, this is very exciting. I've got two buddies that have been wanting to homebrew, but had installed 3.10 or higher (official) right before 3.03 was cracked! And since I don't own GTA, but DO own Lumines, I can actually help 'em out now!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Probably a couple of days.

I wouldn't be surprised if this exploit is used to launch a version of DA's Hen-D, and from there, any compatible downgrader could work, I'd imagine.

MoxManiac

Thank god I live in butt****, Maine. Shouldn't have trouble finding a copy. Jesus @ those charts.

And uh, I guess I wouldn't mind playing lumines

Durante

So, if you want your PSP game to sell, just include an "accidental" buffer overflow exploit opportunity. IT PRINTS MONEY!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pimpwerx said:
That might be one of the better indicators of how large the PSP hacker scene is.
I bet that vast majority of these purchases are being made by people who already own one or more hacked PSPs and are banking on cashing in with this on ebay + panicking about Sony recalling the software.

Response is too fast for it to be people that are NOT informed, and for those that ARE in the know(and interested in hacking), vast majority has to already have modded hardware.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
zoku88 said:
I seriously can't believe so many ppl skipped out on such a good game. It's kind of sad ;__;
Well, it's not like it sold poorly in the first place. And then there's what Faf said...

Brannon

(wow I'm late in replying) While there are too many options for save space to be a real concern, I'll agree that price is a factor. Sony is notorious for losing control of their bottom line as of late. But once memsticks become cheap as dirt to make, there will be no excuse.

Besides, it'd save them a lot of money if they didn't have to make a larger battery pack, and they'd be able to use the full power of the processor. The UMD is REALLY holding the PSP back.

kenta

Has no PEINS
And who said PSP software didn't sell?

I wish the exploit would have been found in Gunpey or Crush though :(

Brannon

datruth29 said:
OMG, its now over 6,000%. This just confirms (or at least gives a lot of credence) to homebrew selling PSP's.

Soon it will be over... that number I'm not going to say. Then the jokes will start.

zoku88 said:
I seriously can't believe so many ppl skipped out on such a good game. It's kind of sad ;__;
Maybe some are like me. I just got my PSP about a month and a half ago, saw Lumines II on the shelf for five bucks more and figured it was the one to get because it was newer. I picked up Lumines the First today just in case I want it at some point and don't want to pay absurd prices.

zoku88

Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe some are like me. I just got my PSP about a month and a half ago, saw Lumines II on the shelf for five bucks more and figured it was the one to get because it was newer. I picked up Lumines the First today just in case I want it at some point and don't want to pay absurd prices.
I suppose.

Hmm, didn't the sequel have crappier music than the first game. I never got it >_<

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DJ Brannon said:
Besides, it'd save them a lot of money if they didn't have to make a larger battery pack
1) What larger battery pack?
2) Last I checked, accessories (batteries, controller chargers, 120GB HDDs etc.) MAKE money for companies, not cost it.

Stumpokapow said:
Uh, why wouldn't you once a downgrader comes out?

Here are a few of the upsides that I use:
- You can rip any of your legit PSX games and play them on your PSP with essentially no load time

Do the ps1 games run well? How are the graphics, framerate, and sound?

NekoFever

+20,315% :lol :lol

This just proves that the PSP has had a killer app for some time. The problem is that Sony is doing their damndest to kill it.

They need to come up with some way for homebrew applications to be digitally signed by Sony so that they can run on official firmware. That way they can control the ISO loaders and UMD rippers while allowing the great legitimate projects (ScummVM for one) to be played by everyone. While I'm not doubting that the majority of those people buying up Lumines are sadly doing it for the piracy capabilities, it would help keep some people away from the lure of the hacked firmware, especially since it would negate having to wait a month for Dark_Alex to work his magic.

mistuhcahlos said:
Do the ps1 games run well? How are the graphics, framerate, and sound?
Most of them run perfectly. There are still glitches with some games but each version of the firmware brings improvements to the emulator. Browse through the official thread and you can see the impressions, and I know that a number of the PSP hacking sites maintain compatibility lists..

Top Bottom