• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd think if Sony were doing their "damndest" to kill homebrew, it would involve going after the homebrew/hacker scene a lot more directly than they have been. I believe there's only been one case of that, and that was almost a year ago now.

Homebrew doesn't really want to be legitimate anyway. By and large they don't want the responsibility of supporting a "product", they just want to put out software and move on whenever the mood suits them.

Izzy

Banned
1. 1,300% Sales Rank in Video Games: 1 (was 14)

:lol

Enjoy it while you can, it won't be so easy with the upcoming model...

clav

So a majority are buying a PSP with Lumines so they can play old classics and retail games for free.

Comes to show how much gamers
who are piraters
like their unlocked firmware.

I am going to do this on my friend's PSP because he's been dying to get his games for free.

el Diablo

Banned
Couldn't find a new copy anywhere CC, BB, Frys, Wal-mart, Target but i did manage to scoop up a used copy at Gamestop for $12.99 :D. It's actually in damn good shape too, UMD isn't scuffed or scratched and the manual is totally in tact. Usually the used stuff from Gamestop looks like someone wiped their arse with it. Was odd that one store had about 7 copies but the other 5 stores in my area had a combined 2 heh.

Screwed up thing is that i'm buying this to actually play (loved it before i broke my PSP), and unfortunately i can't cause i'm waiting for the new hardware revision to buy another (which will likely lock out the homebrew heh).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
HaloFans said:
So a majority are buying a PSP with Lumines so they can play old classics and retail games for free.
No, as I commented earlier, majority are evidently buying multiple copies of Lumines to sell them to other PSP owners at a hefty profit. You can just look at some of the other places where people brag about ordering 10s of copies PER person.

I am going to do this on my friend's PSP because he's been dying to get his games for free.
Don't forget to tell him it was the last Lumines left so you had to overpay for it and he owes you something for it ;)

kaching said:
Homebrew doesn't really want to be legitimate anyway.
If they were legitimate there would be no way to make headlines about their heroic exploits that open doors to free software. Although if anything, company actively trying to improve protection seems to only serve the purpose of every person online scrambling to make headlines about how it got hacked (whenever it does).
It's a good question what does more damage - just letting the pirates be (like Nintendo does on handhelds) or fixing exploits and ending up with tons more people finding out about them because it's all headline news online. Granted for PSP the lashout was probably worse because of general Sony negativity online fueling these "news" even more.

The Hermit

Fafalada said:
If they were legitimate there would be no way to make headlines about their heroic exploits that open doors to free software. Although if anything, company actively trying to improve protection seems to only serve the purpose of every person online scrambling to make headlines about how it got hacked (whenever it does).
It's a good question what does more damage - just letting the pirates be (like Nintendo does on handhelds) or fixing exploits and ending up with tons more people finding out about them because it's all headline news online. Granted for PSP the lashout was probably worse because of general Sony negativity online fueling these "news" even more.

I think it's worse in the case of the PSP, since you don't even need a flashcard like the DS to play them(well now you need Lumines...)
Besides that ,there are a lot of improvements regarding durability, brightness ,load times and the ability to have a nearly perfect compilation of emulators including Snes, Gba and Psx.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Baiano19 said:
I think it's worse in the case of the PSP, since you don't even need a flashcard like the DS to play them
Last I checked, PSP needed this thing called "memorystick" to do just about anything with piracy/homebrew.

Emulation argument is a wash, PSP does some things better (emulating more modern machines, and faster) NDS does others (better emulation for point&click games, less ghosting on 2d, perfect GBA).
But on that topic, I've yet to see any PS1 game load noticeably faster on PSP (even with fast-load option). It's great having some of those games portable but load-times are as bad as ever.

RobertM

Fafalada said:
Last I checked, PSP needed this thing called "memorystick" to do just about anything with piracy/homebrew.

Emulation argument is a wash, PSP does some things better (emulating more modern machines, and faster) NDS does others (better emulation for point&click games, less ghosting on 2d, perfect GBA).
But on that topic, I've yet to see any PS1 game load noticeably faster on PSP (even with fast-load option). It's great having some of those games portable but load-times are as bad as ever.
There are draw backs to everything, now try out some other emulators.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not to mention you need some kind of memory stick for the PSP just for normal usage, and most PSP models come with (or came with) a memory stick of some sort. None of this is true for GBA/DS flashcarts.

Brannon

Fafalada said:
1) What larger battery pack?

Wasn't there a rumor going around about how Sony would release a larger capacity battery so that they could fully use the processor? Unless it was just that, a rumor.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mejilan said:
None of this is true for GBA/DS flashcarts.
Last I checked, there's no games for GBA/DS that can be played without purchasing at least one flashcart. The official ones may not be rewriteable, but that's just semantics :p
As opposed to PSP, I can go out on the street and pick up read-only multi-game cart for a few $, OR I can cough up those 40$ for a cart with 1GB micro SD and download the rest of the library for free.

Like I said, IMO it all comes down to public exposure, and PSP scene has more.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dash Kappei said:
INSANE!!!

Lookin' at those bumps on the charts it seems as us Euroland guys sadly confirm ourselves as Capt. Sparrow's land... (not talkin homebrew here guys)

You are, by far, the worst homebrew developer I have ever heard of.

Mejilan

Fafalada said:
Last I checked, there's no games for GBA/DS that can be played without purchasing at least one flashcart. The official ones may not be rewriteable, but that's just semantics :p
As opposed to PSP, I can go out on the street and pick up read-only multi-game cart for a few $, OR I can cough up those 40$ for a cart with 1GB micro SD and download the rest of the library for free.

Like I said, IMO it all comes down to public exposure, and PSP scene has more.

Bullshit. You aren't talking semantics, you're talking apples vs oranges. GBA/DS homebrew require specialized hardware and software you'll never find yourself using otherwise. PSP only requires specailized software. From a hardware perspective, the PSP is homebrew-ready, out of the box. Especially now, apparently.

A 3.50 downgrader based on this exploit has been released. Site's a little slow. Excerpt from the announcement:
To use this downgrader, you will need the following:

1. A PSP, upgraded to the official Sony v3.50 firmware. You should also set your language settings to "English".
2. A legal Lumines UMD, either the EU (ULES00043) or US (ULUS10002) version. The original, Platinum, or Greatest Hits versions are all fine. Support for the Japanese version will come soon.
3. Sufficient intelligence and english language skills to be able to carefully and throroughly read the instructions.
4. It would also help if you've previously run the Illuminati Hello World, so that you're familiar with how to run the Illuminati exploit.

For instructions on how to run the downgrader, see the Downgrader_HOWTO.txt file in the ZIP.

Future plans? Firstly, we intend to provide a solution for people who are stuck on firmware 3.10 or 3.11, unable to upgrade to 3.50 due to the new Sony checks. The exact format of that solution is still to be decided. We also intend to develop an eLoader for v3.50 HEN, so that those who do not want to downgrade will still be able to run some homebrew.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
slidewinder said:
A 3.50 downgrader based on this exploit has been released. Site's a little slow. Excerpt from the announcement:

Anyone tried this yet? Anyone managed to download it from the cripplingly slow site? Any mirrors?

Trying to download now from the site. It's going at 2k tops. About 21% done. I still have to wait for my copy of Lumines in the mail though.

Carl2282

ok now I go into system information and my firmware is 3.50 HEN- did i just do what i was supposed to do successfully? Honestly I'm new to this, now how do i get the good firmware on here and the cool homebrew?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Damn it. :( Got all the bits downloaded, shuffled the directories around like I'm supposed to, and NOW I CAN'T FIND MY DAMN COPY OF LUMINES. :(

DieH@rd

Banned
iapetus said:
Damn it. :( Got all the bits downloaded, shuffled the directories around like I'm supposed to, and NOW I CAN'T FIND MY DAMN COPY OF LUMINES. :(

Murphy's law for PSP downgradin is working I see... :D

Mejilan

THIS DOWNGRADER WORKS.

I just helped a buddy upgrade his 3.10 PSP to 3.50, then downgrade to 1.50 using this awesome app.

Now we're working on installing 3.40 OE-A!

Carl2282

Mejilan said:
THIS DOWNGRADER WORKS.

I just helped a buddy upgrade his 3.10 PSP to 3.50, then downgrade to 1.50 using this awesome app.

Now we're working on installing 3.40 OE-A!
how do i go from 3.5 hen to 3.40 oe-a?

Mejilan

You go from 3.50 HEN to 1.50 using the downgrader (if you're following the readme, it should be called 'PSP UPDATER X.YZ', or something like that, and be accessible from the XMB via Games -> Memory Stick

Jesus Christ, I can't believe they got a downgrader out of this so fast.

P.S. Any word on the incorrect backlight response being fixed in 1.5 mode on TA082/86 boards? You know, when you press the button, instead of going 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, it goes 4 > 2 > 1 (or something like this - the brightness settings do not correspond to their later firmware counterparts)?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DieH@rd said:
Murphy's law for PSP downgradin is working I see... :D

I'm missing a whole stack of the first PSP games I bought - haven't seen them since I moved house. Think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy another copy of Lumines, if anywhere has them in stock. :(

Mejilan

Aristotlekh said:
Jesus Christ, I can't believe they got a downgrader out of this so fast.

P.S. Any word on the incorrect backlight response being fixed in 1.5 mode on TA082/86 boards? You know, when you press the button, instead of going 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, it goes 4 > 2 > 1 (or something like this - the brightness settings do not correspond to their later firmware counterparts)?

About as fast as the GTA exploit -> downgrader, IIRC. Only took 2 or 3 days then, as well! :D

wow, that was fast...

iapetus said:
I'm missing a whole stack of the first PSP games I bought - haven't seen them since I moved house. Think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy another copy of Lumines, if anywhere has them in stock. :(
does your landlord have any kids?

The Hermit

Mejilan said:
PSP only requires specailized software. From a hardware perspective, the PSP is homebrew-ready, out of the box. Especially now, apparently.

I´m sorry if I didn´t made myself clear before, but that´s exactly what I meant. You only need a patch and a memory card. With the DS, most of the times, you need a flashcard AND a memory card.

Mejilan

Baiano19 said:
I´m sorry if I didn´t made myself clear before, but that´s exactly what I meant. You only need a patch and a memory card. With the DS, most of the times, you need a flashcard AND a memory card.

?

I was responding to Faf before, not to you...

Did you do this, Carl?
7 - Unzip the 1.50 update to a temporary folder. Rename the EBOOT.PBP to
UPDATE.PBP and copy it to <pspdrive>:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/ . DO NOT
OVERWRITE PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP!
You really need to read the instructions (Downgrader_HOWTO.txt, in this case) before messing with this stuff.

Mejilan

Carl2282 said:
when i do that it says after the blue screen can not find update.pbp

You must not be following the readme/howto. Previously, you should have downloaded Sony's official 1.50 firmware updater, which comes in the form of an EBOOT.PBP file. You were supposed to have downloaded it, renamed it to UPDATE.PBP, and copied it over to your mem stick (location: \PSP\GAME\UPDATE) IIRC.

The 3.50 downgrader cannot function without that file. No harm will come of trying to launch the downgrader without that file, however. So go ahead and set it up again.

Mejilan

3.50 is slaughtered. 3.50 OE-A is due out in another week or two. Dark Alex had finals keeping him away from his PSP work.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mejilan said:
3.50 is slaughtered. 3.50 OE-A is due out in another week or two. Dark Alex had finals keeping him away from his PSP work.
Cool, I'll wait until then to do the downgrade, thanks!

derder

Mejilan said:
Dark Alex had finals keeping him away from his PSP work.

Jesus Christ. Just take a step back and read this again. What have you done to me GAF that would make this make sense.

I feel... cold...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mejilan said:
From a hardware perspective, the PSP is homebrew-ready, out of the box.
So Sony ships new PSPs with Lumines/GTA (depending on the FW version)?

GBA/DS homebrew require specialized hardware and software you'll never find yourself using otherwise.
The products I've seen tested were plug&play (no extra software needed) - granted firmware on DS solutions is upgradeable, but it's not required. Could as well mention that lots of people already own SD sticks compatible with the said FlashCarts(arguably more then people owning MemorySticks) making it even 'cheaper'.

M3wThr33

Banned
The idea is that I can purchase a simple game and suddenly I can do everything, rather than having to order from a shady place in Hong Kong that couldn't spell the word "reliable."

I don't know why you are militantly defending the DS homebrew scene as being easier. Does it bother you? Granted it's not much more difficult, but there's the extra step of needing a SPECIAL card as opposed to one of two of the most popular PSP games.

But, hey, when you start saying a GODDAMN MEMORY CARD is an extra purchase, you're an idiot anyway.

Mejilan

Buying, renting, or borrowing a popular game to run a once-only exploit is a helluva lot cheaper and easier than buying strange devices from Chinese chop shops! And for that matter, not every PSP at retail even REQUIRES GTA or Lumines to crack. There are still plenty of 2.71 machines out at retail that can be flashed immediately.

I picked up a relatively popular GBA flashcart about two years ago (the EZFlash III, IIRC) and the experience completely soured me on both GBA and DS homebrew. When I finally worked up the courage to dabble in DS homebrew again, I half-bricked it during the flash, and worked for 3 hours to resurrect it!

The PSP is an entirely separate beast. As I said, from a hardware perspective, it's absolutely ready to crack out-of-the-box. And the software is much more user friendly than the crap I had to suffer through on the GBA and DS. I'm sure the DS and GBA scenes have improved in the intervening years, but not to the point where it makes cracking the PSP look complicated by comparison!

derder said:
Jesus Christ. Just take a step back and read this again. What have you done to me GAF that would make this make sense.

I feel... cold...

What?

Top Bottom