• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)

Schrade

Aristotlekh said:
P.S. Any word on the incorrect backlight response being fixed in 1.5 mode on TA082/86 boards? You know, when you press the button, instead of going 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, it goes 4 > 2 > 1 (or something like this - the brightness settings do not correspond to their later firmware counterparts)?
The brightness problem is due to a new LCD module on your PSP. Not too many PSPs have this new module.. It's mentioned that this is only on TA-086 motherboards. The fix can be found here:

***WARNING***: This is a somewhat advanced level hack you CAN brick your PSP if you do something incorrectly.

How to Repair your backwards brightness problem: http://lan.st/forums/showthread.php?p=4640#post4640

Again, this is pretty advanced so proceed with caution! If you feel you're not up to the challenge maybe get someone else who has done it before to walk you through it or get a friend who is adept with this stuff to help you in person.

AnimeTheme said:
Many people say PSP homebrew is great, but how "great" is it besides ISO and emulators?

Almost everything you want. You just have to search.

My favourites are a port of Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, that has crossplay with the PC version, the Video Output to the PC and keyboard/******* input from the PC, and that TripleTriad MMO. And of course the flawless emulators.

AnimeTheme said:
Many people say PSP homebrew is great, but how "great" is it besides ISO and emulators?
well, i guess that depends on how 'great' you think the other homebrew is, like internet radio streamers, alternative format audio and video players, alternative web browsers, text readers, text editors, cbr readers, IM apps, alternate file managers, irc clients, email readers, calculators, remote desktop apps, calendar apps, organizer apps, etc...

Verboten said:
I've tried a few times, but I'm too much of a dork to get this working. :(
or maybe not enough of a dork :p

The Faceless Master said:
well, i guess that depends on how 'great' you think the other homebrew is, like internet radio streamers, alternative format audio and video players, alternative web browsers, text readers, text editors, cbr readers, IM apps, alternate file managers, irc clients, email readers, calculators, remote desktop apps, calendar apps, organizer apps, etc...

So how is SNES emulation? I'd love to be able to play my Super Metroid on the go. :)

Also, I take it that with this exploit ANY PSP is homebrew-able now? No matter the motherboard, firmware or LCD-lighting system?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
AnimeTheme said:

Handheld Angband is all the 'great' I need. I eventually succumbed to firmware upgrades because I wanted the newer PSP games, but now that there's the option of the OE firmware, I can have my cake and eat it too.

Will be interested in trying ripping my UMDs and running games from the memory stick to reduce load times and battery drain (and increase the games I can carry around at once) too.

Carl2282

iapetus said:
Will be interested in trying ripping my UMDs and running games from the memory stick to reduce load times and battery drain (and increase the games I can carry around at once) too.
thats the main reason i'm putting 3.4 oe on mine

The Faceless Master said:

You have pretty much point out what I really want to ask/say. Yeah I know there are other homebrew, but from what I can see, most people who downgraded just care about ISO and emulators, and most of them don't care or even know the existence of other "real" homebrew.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
My urge to buy a PSP is rising. Whats the best deal I can find on a easily hackable PSP and a large enough mem stick?

Obviously depends which country you're in. Here in the UK, you can now pick up a 2GB stick for £17.99 or a 4GB stick for £39.99, which is pretty reasonable as far as prices go over here.

iapetus said:
Obviously depends which country you're in. Here in the UK, you can now pick up a 2GB stick for £17.99 or a 4GB stick for £39.99, which is pretty reasonable as far as prices go over here.

I'm in a rural redneck area of the US.

Any hacks out there that allow me to play on my HDTV or computer via another device using the USB?

NekoFever

There are tons of homebrew games as well. Most are poor or distractions at best, admittedly, but stuff like the No Gravity demo is really impressive.

More than anything I use mine for ScummVM. On a 4GB Memory Stick you've got space for every SCUMM game and other compatible stuff like Broken Sword.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm in a rural redneck area of the US.

Any hacks out there that allow me to play on my HDTV or computer via another device using the USB?
nope on HDTV

heard something about a PC solution...buggy...should be a thread about it here

Durante

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
What consoles run on the PSP
Do you mean emulators? If so, there are good ones for PSX, GB(A), NES, SCUMM, and a few other systems, acceptable ones for SNES and Genesis, and a proof-of-concept N64 emulator.

and how many games will fit on a 1GB card?
Depends entirely on the games. 1 to 10.

Durante said:
Do you mean emulators? If so, there are good ones for PSX, GB(A), NES, SCUMM, and a few other systems, acceptable ones for SNES and Genesis, and a proof-of-concept N64 emulator.

Depends entirely on the games. 1 to 10.

Lets say I want to run Neo-Geo, GBA, PSX and possibly Saturn and N64. 1GB be enough? I figure GBA and Neo-Geo would be small enough to fit alot.

Also, whats is SCUMM?

Lain

If using the custom firmware can let me play games in 333mhz mode without ripping the UMD to the stick, I'll do it right away (Lumines was thefirst game I bought with my PSP... actually the second since they didn't have it where I bought my PSP). Otherwise I'm gonna wait for when I have a big Memstick (I still only have the puny 32MB included with the PSP).

burnfout

So it says to use the 1.50 update ( North America), but I have a EU PSP? Do I need to use the NA one or a different one?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
burnfout said:
So it says to use the 1.50 update ( North America), but I have a EU PSP? Do I need to use the NA one or a different one?

IIRC, it's the same update for all regions.

quetz67

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Lets say I want to run Neo-Geo, GBA, PSX and possibly Saturn and N64. 1GB be enough? I figure GBA and Neo-Geo would be small enough to fit alot.
The more the better, just for the conveinience of having more stuff available at a time. Some Neo Geo CD, PSX and some of the ScummVM games take some space.

If you usually just play one game at a time, 1gig is OK.

Arthursw1

Is there a way to fix a brick PSP? cause one dude at my school is selling one for $5 so if there is a way tell me please.:D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Arthursw1 said:
Is there a way to fix a brick PSP? cause one dude at my school is selling one for $5 so if there is a way tell me please.:D

I think a mod chip. Or that Sony unbricker device which you'll probably never come across. Anyway, it's $5, I'd buy it anyway. $5 is chump change

Ask him if he installed the OE firmware actually. I think you can fix it if it's installed since you can go to that menu thing and reflash

Ryu

I'm greatly pleased about the speed increase afforded by the modified firmware (333mhz mode) and the load time decreased off of loading from the memory stick. Metal Slug Anthlogy is like a whole new game. What used to take 5 minutes to get into finally playing now only takes 2 minutes. Fairly drastic change. Only thing I have to figure out is ripping my old PSX games to play on it. I keep having issues ripping them to my HD so I can get them to the PSP even on flawless unplayed disks.

quetz67

Banned
Ryu said:
I'm greatly pleased about the speed increase afforded by the modified firmware (333mhz mode) and the load time decreased off of loading from the memory stick. Metal Slug Anthlogy is like a whole new game. What used to take 5 minutes to get into finally playing now only takes 2 minutes. Fairly drastic change. Only thing I have to figure out is ripping my old PSX games to play on it. I keep having issues ripping them to my HD so I can get them to the PSP even on flawless unplayed disks.
Got me some used PSX games I play on PSP now, but of course I didnt rip the original CDs but just downloaded the versions ready to play on PSP

Ryu

quetz67 said:
Got me some used PSX games I play on PSP now, but of course I didnt rip the original CDs but just downloaded the versions ready to play on PSP

Maybe that's the best way to go about it. All I wanted when i first heard about the downgraders (but had a version that needed GTA LCS and no copy of the game in order to downgrade myself) was a working version of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, and Einhander. It's disheartening to try all 3 and be unable to rip them properly. I can't fathom what the problem is given the great condition of each disk. If downloading the working versions is what it will take, then that's what I'll do.

I didn't get a chance to do this yet, but how do you dump the game off the UMD to a Pro Duo for better load times?

This will give me an incentive to re-buy MX vs ATV, and Smackdown

Ryu

After you downgrade, you use some homebrew software to rip the game with the psp, then transfer the file to your PC, compress it, and transfer the file right back to your PSP. It plays as if you had the game in the drive. Only caveat is that when you load the game initially, you need to have some game in the drive for the initial load. It does not have to be the game you are playing. I recommend one of the demos that are floating out there like Killzone and such for that initial load so you can keep your original game copies safe in their cases. :)

Lain

I downgraded my PSP to 1.50, only to discover that I need both 1.50 and 3.40 firmware on my memstick to be able to install the custom firmware. Default memstick user for the lose =/

Lain said:
I downgraded my PSP to 1.50, only to discover that I need both 1.50 and 3.40 firmware on my memstick to be able to install the custom firmware. Default memstick user for the lose =/

Try downloading a "ready to install" package! You can find one on www.psp-hacks.com

The 1.50 and 3.40 firmware are only there so they extract stuff from it, the "ready to install" package is smaller i believe.

quetz67

Banned
Lain said:
Does custom firmware make any sense at all with default memstick anyway?

Lain

quetz67 said:
Does custom firmware make any sense at all with default memstick anyway?

If I can play my UMD games in 333mhz mode, sure why not (naturally I need to learn what I need to use that)? That's probably the only feature I want. If I can't unless I dump them to a memstick, then... yeah. I'll have to buy a 4GB memstick from play.com (they still charge 120€ for a 2GB stick around here where I live).

Lain said:
If I can play my UMD games in 333mhz mode, sure why not (naturally I need to learn what I need to use that)? That's probably the only feature I want. If I can't unless I dump them to a memstick, then... yeah. I'll have to buy a 4GB memstick from play.com (they still charge 120€ for a 2GB stick around here where I live).

Hmm, I thought you lived in The Netherlands. Figured you were the same Lain from a Dutch forum.

quetz67

Banned
Lain said:
Do you realize that playing the games without load times makes them much more enjoyable (and increases battery life) than just running them at 333mhz (which obviously im many cases doesnt make any difference at all)

WHOO HOO! I think I did it! I just need to know if after downgrading to 1.50, can I format my memory card or do I have to keep all those downgrading files on it? Anyone know?

Top Bottom