• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK ‘mercenaries’ (but actually volunteers) fighting IS in Syria

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are Dutch ex-military doing the same. Also motorcycle gang/club members. As well as Dutch Kurds. It is being condoned by the government.

The same thing is happening in Canada. There is even a group called the North American Expedition Force or something that is sending men over. There are issues though with going over and fighting as, while it is technically not illegal, if you end up fighting with a group that the government has designated as a terrorist group, then you are in serious trouble when you get home.

That being said, I wish everyone who goes abroad to fight ISIS good luck and good hunting.

I don't want to open a new thread, but this graph is somewhat related...

This pic shows from where IS fighters are coming from:
image-782535-galleryV9-ltgv.jpg

Nice to see some Britons fighting the IS, but there are also around 500 Britons fighting for the IS (as written in the article).

Defenders of the faith!

akira28

What reversal? The PKK and YPG are horrible organisations, killing anyone (especially fellow Kurds) that stand in the way of their Marxist ideology.

looks like the pkk has been fighting with turkey over freedoms since 1984, but the YPG looks to be different. Why would they be targeting Kurds? Are you saying that they are as bad as President Assad and co?

looks like the pkk has been fighting with turkey over freedoms since 1984, but the YPG looks to be different. Why would they be targeting Kurds? Are you saying that they are as bad as President Assad and co?

You are right, I made a mistake. It appears the YPG are more benign than the PKK, but it's still difficult for a Turk to reconcile an organisation that certainly has ties to the PKK.

They aren't as bad as Assad and ISIS no.

Ideally I'd want a NATO coalition on the ground alongside the Kurds.

liger05

But funny enough this only really applies when its Arabs.

South Asian and Arab muslims don't give two shits about African and east Asian Muslims experiencing shit from other muslims and non muslims.

Well I would say since Afghanistan vs Russia conflict this is now the first time a huge number of Muslims have travelled from outside the conflict zone.

The difference now is its crossed borders and all under one banner. Syria, Iraq, Libya, Nigeria and so forth.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Well I would say since Afghanistan vs Russia conflict this is now the first time a huge number of Muslims have travelled from outside the conflict zone.

The difference now is its crossed borders and all under one banner. Syria, Iraq, Libya, Nigeria and so forth.

What are you doing on a videogame forum? Join them under the banner of "Only one Allah and his messenger is Mohammed.

You'll be able to enjoy the fruits of the kuffar in the West.

Isis fighters crave snacks and gadgets of the west they disdain

What do jihadi militants crave on their break at the battlefront? Pringles are one frontline favourite. Another is Red Bull.

Thousands of foreign fighters who have flocked to Syria want to create an austere Islamic state harking back to the past. But they have retained their taste for the modern-day snacks and gadgets of the western countries they disdain.

Locals are not only living in fear of these militants, who use brutal mass executions and beheadings to impose their rule, but they are also trying to find ways to survive an economic crisis provoked by three years of civil war. Many say that the best strategy is catering to the tastes of the fighters they loathe.

Crisps, chocolates, energy drinks and non-alcoholic beer are the treats of choice for many foreigners fighting for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis), which has expanded across a swath of Syria and Iraq. It claims to be building a caliphate to emulate the days of Islam’s prophet Mohammed.

Isis’s religious edicts and foreign fighters’ tastes are transforming local economies in areas the group occupies. Shops selling alcohol are closed, while junk food vendors, clothing stores – especially ones offering military-style apparel – and mobile phone shops make a modest profit.

“The economy in Isis areas is now driven by the foreign fighters. Everything else is at zero,” says Saleh, a clothing retailer from the central Syrian city of Raqqa.

Many shopkeepers in Syria’s rural east had never heard of energy drinks like Red Bull before foreign Isis fighters arrived. Nor had vendors in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor ever dreamt of selling Snickers or Bounty – the favourite brands of chocolate bars for militants from Europe and the Gulf.

“These snacks were either unknown, or luxuries we couldn’t afford . . . But when the fighters requested them, I didn’t ask questions. I ran to my supplier and placed an order,” says Nassim, a shopkeeper who used a pseudonym for his safety. “Pringles and Snickers? Isis guys buy those by the box to share at the front.”

In Raqqa, a vendor who asks to be identified as Qasim says a can of Red Bull costs around 250 Syrian lira (about $1.50), while in Deir Ezzor, a tube of Pringles cost about $5.50. Both are well above the average $3 per day that most Syrians in the area now live on.
Local businessmen buy the crisps and non-alcoholic beer from regime-held areas, and add an extra 10 per cent to the price to cover the bribes at army checkpoints. Energy drinks and chocolates are brought over the border from Turkey.

“They govern us in the name of religion, living the good life while everyone else suffers,” Nassim says. “Sometimes my customers say ‘God willing, they’ll eat it [the junk food] and get poisoned.’ But there is nothing we can do.”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5298d716-758a-11e4-a1a9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3KQib7aTV

Not sure if the Playstation 4 or Wii U is available yet though.

What are you doing on a videogame forum? Join them under the banner of "Only one Allah and his messenger is Mohammed.

You'll be able to enjoy the fruits of the kuffar in the West.

Isis fighters crave snacks and gadgets of the west they disdain

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5298d716-758a-11e4-a1a9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3KQib7aTV

Not sure if the Playstation 4 or Wii U is available yet though.

That's the irony, isn't it? Extremely anti Western but at the same time reaping the benefits of the consumer society. Using cell phones, tv's and food that can only exist in a global capitalist market that they want to destroy.

liger05

The same thing is happening in Canada. There is even a group called the North American Expedition Force or something that is sending men over. There are issues though with going over and fighting as, while it is technically not illegal, if you end up fighting with a group that the government has designated as a terrorist group, then you are in serious trouble when you get home.

That being said, I wish everyone who goes abroad to fight ISIS good luck and good hunting.

Not confirmed but some reports from Syria today said IS caught some canadian fighters in Kobane.

100% confirmed is they captured a a ex idf female soldier fighting for the kurdish militia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom