• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK and Japan sales data suggested Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a bomba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodomism

Banned
UK week 46 chart
01 (NE) ASSASSIN'S CREED: VALHALLA (UBISOFT)
02 (NE) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS COLD WAR (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
03 (NE) MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALES (SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (01) FIFA 21 (EA SPORTS)
05 (02) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)
06 (NE) DEMON'S SOULS (SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT)
07 (06) SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARS (NINTENDO)
08 (03) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
09 (05) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)
10 (04) WATCH DOGS: LEGION (UBISOFT)
11 (NE) JUST DANCE 2021 (UBISOFT)
13 (NE) SACKBOY: A BIG ADVENTURE (SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT)

Sales is lower than 9.6K in the UK since Watch Dogs: Legion is at 9.6K all platforms combined

Japan top 30

Not ranked in top 30, so the sales is below 2.9K for both PS4 and PS5 sku.

What a surprise after over 2.1 million of views on youtube.

Currently, there are 13K players on PS4 according to gamstat.com

Updated with estimate number for UK chart

1. Assassin's Creed Valhalla ~150.000
PS4 (42%) ~63.000
XBS+XBO (40%) ~60.000
PS5 (18%) ~27.000

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - 130.000
PS4 (39%/99%) - 51.200
XBO (34%/99%) - 44.700
PS5 (17%/99%) - 22.300
XBS (9%/99%) - 11.800

3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 82.500
PS5 (71%) - 58.600
PS4 (29%) - 23.900

4. FIFA 21 - 32.100

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 18.900

6. Demon's Souls

7. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 15.300

8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

9. Minecraft (Switch)

10. Watch Dogs: Legion - 9.600
XBS+XBO (57%) - 5.500
PS4 (43%) - 4.100

Estimated sales numbers by Dark
Detective from Ree.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not surprised by Assassin's Creed Valhalla
But Demon Souls is disappointing
I knew BP should have done MGS1Remake first

Souls games while fantastic are...an acquired taste and are never gonna sell systems

Rolla

Banned
Sure?!

I mean, if Japan and UK are the only territories where the game is being sold and we only count the retail copies sold for a few days after the new console has launched.

Kuranghi

I appreciate you posting the information but this has no bearing at all on whether I'll play it or not, it looks really good imo, nice graphics, fun Mario-3D-World-esque gameplay.

I recently played through the 3D marios and I think I like 3D World the least even though it does some things better than all the other 3D marios. I fucking hate the timer and the stupid you need princess peach to activate this button crap, I know it prob takes 2 mins to restart the level as Peach and get back there but makes it feel like if you play it SP you are playing it wrong. Whereas Sackboy looks like it will be really good SP or Coop.

The materials and physics in this game look super nice, overall the IQ looks better than Astrobot. I am loving astrobot but I kinda wish it had a 30 fps mode where the IQ was a bit higher, if I compare Astrobot running on my PS5 to the Sackboy 4K gameplay youtube footage, it looks cleaner but that could just be youtube hiding things.

//DEVIL//

I think the problem with this game is the design of sackboy it self. If he did look different like a Mario or something else would have a huge appeal .

Scotty W

Gold Member
Saw a demobof this the other day. Never add any u in it but it is a shame that there is a hater train for it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, but it’s a consumer product. People don’t want to spend the money on the stuff they think is cool because they’d rather focus on other stuff. That statue of Leon Kennedy is cool, but I can’t say I am going to spend close to $300 to get it. That game looks cool, but I don’t think I’ll spend $70 to get it. I bought all these games and I didn’t get this one. It doesn’t mean it sucks.

Working Designs went defunct for a lot of reasons. Even when they brought over a ton of amazing stuff. Not even a couple extra purchases of their amazing games could have saved them.

Bodomism

Banned
UK charts don't include digital so these don't tell the full story
I don't think digital sales is going to change that much as gamstat.com is tracking both physical and digital user data.

Other platformer 1st week of sales comparison.

UK physical sales
Mario 3D All stars - 79K
Crash 4 - 26K

Japan physical sales
Mario 3D All stars - 210K
Crash 4 - 10K

Bodomism

Banned
Okay isn't UK data useless without digital? The numbers also suggest Miles Morales is a bomba.
Miles Morales sold 82.5K which is very big opener especially for expansion game.

I think Demon's Souls Remake is performing really badly in both Japan(18K) and UK(~17K).

Last edited:
Aside Spiderman - damn it is a huge brand - AC, COD, FIFA. Nothing can move these titans :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Miles Morales sold 82.5K which is very big opener especially for expansion game.

I think Demon's Souls Remake is performing really badly in both Japan(18K) and UK(~17K).
But is it combined chart?

Last edited:
I don't think digital sales is going to change that much as gamstat.com is tracking both physical and digital user data.

Other platformer 1st week of sales comparison.

UK physical sales
Mario 3D All stars - 79K
Crash 4 - 26K

Japan physical sales
Mario 3D All stars - 210K
Crash 4 - 10K

Again these numbers were from the week before the PS5 released in the UK. And despite that 89% of the sales were for the PS5 version. So all you can take from it was the PS4 version flopped. (Where as around 9000 people bought it without even being able to play it yet).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...call-of-duty-in-race-for-no-1-uk-boxed-charts

Best to wait till this week's sales before making any judgements. And I doubt even Sony are expecting it to match Crash or Mario.

ethomaz

Banned
No digital when you have a digital only console.

I mean the physical sales doesn’t look good... we need digital sales and the rate of PS5 and PS5 DE purchases.

diffusionx

Gold Member
LBP's heyday was like 2008-2012, a kid who loved the game back then would be at the very youngest a late teen right now and wouldn't be caught dead playing this. So it has to find a whole new audience from scratch. Not saying it can't happen, but it's a tough sell because Sony didn't maintain this franchise properly after LBP3. It still might do well over the holidays but they need to emphasize it's on PS4. I bet a lot of people think it's only a PS5 title.

Zones

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, but it’s a consumer product. People don’t want to spend the money on the stuff they think is cool because they’d rather focus on other stuff. That statue of Leon Kennedy is cool, but I can’t say I am going to spend close to $300 to get it. That game looks cool, but I don’t think I’ll spend $70 to get it. I bought all these games and I didn’t get this one. It doesn’t mean it sucks.

Working Designs went defunct for a lot of reasons. Even when they brought over a ton of amazing stuff. Not even a couple extra purchases of their amazing games could have saved them.
They have the fucking guts to ask 70 dollars for this title...
Thats even more then cyberpunk 2077 is going to cost.. Geezus fuck
I can't see a lot of people spending $70 on that. And I'm pretty sure its more in the U.K.
Stop spreading false information.

From all the Sony published titles, only DS is $70.

Elcid

Banned
Anyone not playing this is missing out. This game is fucking great. Honestly the deeper I get into it, the more I realize it’s better than any platformer Nintendo has put out in a LONG TIME.

Labadal

I'm not shocked. I thought to myself that this is a game that will bomb. LBP has been in decline and there's already Astro's Playroom included with the PS5. I'll get this once I actually get my PS5 delivered, whenever that will be.

Alphagear

They told me Demon's Souls is the system seller. What happened?

You are not gonna sell a system is they are mostly out of stock.

Then you have Resellers taking most the consoles and leaving the games alone.

Killing game sales as they do it.

Probably same for XSX.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I seem to remember Little Big Planet 3 also bombed hard, so it's not a problem with "brand recognition".

Platformers are either adopted by millions of people (Mario etc.) or they bomb, hard. I mean the Crash Bandicoot trilogy remake a few years ago (banking on nostalgia) apparently did better than a full new Crash game (the recent Crash which... crashed off the charts).

But still really bad in comparison to Miles Morales.
Spidey MM PS5 - 58K
Demon's Souls Remake ~17K

Miles Morales was also released on a console people could play it on at this point in time. And are we really expecting a Souls game to sell Spider-Man numbers?

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
You are not gonna sell a system is they are mostly out of stock.

Then you have Resellers taking most the consoles and leaving the games alone.

Killing game sales as they do it.

Probably same for XSX.
Well, Zelda BOTW switch version outsold Nintendo Switch hardware in the first month of sales in the US.

US, Switch hardware - 900K, BOTW switch version - 925K
UK, Switch hardware - 80K, BOTW switch version - 68K
France, Switch hardware - 100K, BOTW switch version - 96K
Japan, Switch hardware - 330K, BOTW switch version 184K
Spain, Switch hardware - 45K, BOTW switch version - 41K

That's a perfect example of system seller.

chonga

Okay isn't UK data useless without digital? The numbers also suggest Miles Morales is a bomba.
It might be useless if you want to have total numbers, but it isn't useless if you want to draw comparisons between games.

Every game is available digitally. Some games favour digital, yes, but not by dramatic proportions and if you ask me I would say that Sackboy does not meet that criteria. It isn't a game that you'd want on your console all year round like a FIFA or a COD and it isn't a game that has a huge open world with scores of hours of gameplay and things to explore, where again you might want it in your console for a considerable and prolonged period of time and thus would be willing to pay the 'digital premium'.

So basically what I am trying to say is - yeah you don't know how many it sold, but you still know it almost certainly sold less than all the other games ahead of it in the physical chart. Adding digital sales isn't going to fling it up to the top of the charts.

Bodomism

Banned
1. Assassin's Creed Valhalla ~150.000
PS4 (42%) ~63.000
XBS+XBO (40%) ~60.000
PS5 (18%) ~27.000

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - 130.000
PS4 (39%/99%) - 51.200
XBO (34%/99%) - 44.700
PS5 (17%/99%) - 22.300
XBS (9%/99%) - 11.800

3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 82.500
PS5 (71%) - 58.600
PS4 (29%) - 23.900

4. FIFA 21 - 32.100

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 18.900

6. Demon's Souls

7. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 15.300

8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

9. Minecraft (Switch)

10. Watch Dogs: Legion - 9.600
XBS+XBO (57%) - 5.500
PS4 (43%) - 4.100

Estimated sales numbers by Dark
Detective from Ree.

Tschumi

Hell yes. These developers are a godsend. Tearaway forever. Just goes to show how viable a focus the family gamer is.

Nankatsu

The same concept of game, but with Astro bot and the team who created Astro bot behind it, it would have been way better.

Sackboy Big Adventure is just a Super Mario ripoff.

Alphagear

Well, Zelda BOTW switch version outsold Nintendo Switch hardware in the first month of sales in the US.

US, Switch hardware - 900K, BOTW switch version - 925K
UK, Switch hardware - 80K, BOTW switch version - 68K
France, Switch hardware - 100K, BOTW switch version - 96K
Japan, Switch hardware - 330K, BOTW switch version 184K
Spain, Switch hardware - 45K, BOTW switch version - 41K

That's a perfect example of system seller.

These figures are a week before launch.

Secondly what does my post have to do with system sellers?

I am talking about resellers taking the consoles here and killing game sales with it.

If you can't get a console you won't buy a game.

TheKratos

Shocking. I expected no less than 10 million!

Jokes aside, I like the game. Fun little platformer with the family but nothing special.

Unknown?

It might be useless if you want to have total numbers, but it isn't useless if you want to draw comparisons between games.

Every game is available digitally. Some games favour digital, yes, but not by dramatic proportions and if you ask me I would say that Sackboy does not meet that criteria. It isn't a game that you'd want on your console all year round like a FIFA or a COD and it isn't a game that has a huge open world with scores of hours of gameplay and things to explore, where again you might want it in your console for a considerable and prolonged period of time and thus would be willing to pay the 'digital premium'.

So basically what I am trying to say is - yeah you don't know how many it sold, but you still know it almost certainly sold less than all the other games ahead of it in the physical chart. Adding digital sales isn't going to fling it up to the top of the charts.
Selling less does not equal bomba though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom