• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK August: big month for the PS5 / Slow few weeks for Xbox Series consoles

Defrop

Banned

Here is the GfK top ten for the week ending September 4, 2021:
zgwvjlH.jpg

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Likely bundle related, since Miles actually lost two spots while being the go-to game to buy.

Xbox still no stock in UK (and most parts of Europe, it seems). Weird flex by Microsoft.

Yeah, my friend told me yesterday that he just tried to get a XSX here in Norway but there were absolutely none available anywhere (he bought an S - temporarily). I just searched online, there's no XSXs available in the entire country from what I can see. Same with the PS5.

"Another big month for them".. Well, IDK what the fuck "PS5" they are selling to make it so "big", but it surely can't be the actual console.. Do they have extra stock available for the PS5 in the UK?

Last edited:

Roufianos

Is series x consoles available on shelves in the uk? Because if not this is the stupidest remark to slow weeks for either PS5 or Xbox considering you can’t just go buy them.

Sold out everywhere. It's a shame for MS that they don't have the stock to capitalise on the PS5 shortages. If anything theirs is a lot worse.

Sold out everywhere. It's a shame for MS that they don't have the stock to capitalise on the PS5 shortages. If anything theirs is a lot worse.
Yeah I don’t know why they can’t make as many units as Sony or why they’re so constrained.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't fathom what is going on with Microsofts production. Sony must have locked in more slots at TSMC or something because damn. Series X is like unicorn shit world wide.

I wonder if they are stock piling inventory for November so they can have a huge Q4? If not....somethings fucked.

Sony are killing it so good on them, genuinely feels like they are really trying to get every unit out to their customers.

BoxFresh123

Series S has been readily available online for a few months. X seems to be sold out as fast as they can stock from what I've seen though.

Is the S selling out elsewhere?

Azurro

Banned
I can't fathom what is going on with Microsofts production. Sony must have locked in more slots at TSMC or something because damn. Series X is like unicorn shit world wide.

I wonder if they are stock piling inventory for November so they can have a huge Q4? If not....somethings fucked.

Sony are killing it so good on them, genuinely feels like they are really trying to get every unit out to their customers.

Not really, it's been really easy to get a Series X where I live. You basically have to preorder and usually arrives within 3 weeks. Might not be readily available on the shelves, but compared to the PS5, it's super easy. The PS5, you preorder and who knows when you'll get your console.

skit_data

I think there’s two reasons for the Series X stock shortage:

1. Sony secured more chips, and the PS5 chip is probably slightly easier to produce/less wafer area per chip.
2. MS are still using part of the chip production for their server blades for XCloud.

Another factor is that Xbox launched in China after PS5 so its possible the allocation for China affects Xbox, just as it did with PS5 when it launched in China.

Last edited:

Dane

Series X is a unicorn in Brazil, it had way worse availability than PS5 lately. Series S has been stable and even below MSRP (typical of Microsoft products since 360).

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Series S has been readily available online for a few months. X seems to be sold out as fast as they can stock from what I've seen though.

Is the S selling out elsewhere?

Not in Ireland anyway.... they constantly have 15+ in stock in nearly all of the Smyths stores.

Series X, I don't see any in stock.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
WEEK 35

01 (03) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)
02 (02) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
03 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)
04 (12) RATCHET & CLANK: RIFT APART (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
05 (07) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)
06 (08) MARVEL'S AVENGERS (SQUARE ENIX)
07 (05) MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALES (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
08 (17) F1 2021 (EA SPORTS)
09 (06) FIFA 21 (EA SPORTS)
10 (13) SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + BOWSER'S FURY (NINTENDO)
11 (14) LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTION (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
12 (01) ALIENS: FIRETEAM ELITE (FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE)
13 (09) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA: DIRECTOR'S CUT (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
14 (18) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD HD (NINTENDO)
15 (11) ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLA (UBISOFT)
16 (19) POKEMON SWORD (NINTENDO)
17 (20) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
18 (10) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
19 (23) MINECRAFT DUNGEONS (MOJANG)
20 (RE) HITMAN III (SQUARE ENIX)
21 (RE) MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
22 (27) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
23 (32) LUIGI'S MANSION 3 (NINTENDO)
24 (26) POKEMON SHIELD (NINTENDO)
25 (24) MARIO GOLF: SUPER RUSH (NINTENDO)
26 (25) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR)
27 (29) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)
28 (35) NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT – REMASTERED (EA GAMES)
29 (15) OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 THE OFFICIAL VIDEO GAME (SEGA)
30 (36) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)
31 (40) JUST DANCE 2021 (UBISOFT)
32 (RE) PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: BATTLE FOR NEIGHBORVILLE (EA GAMES)
33 (33) WATCH DOGS: LEGION (UBISOFT)
34 (37) RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)
35 (37) LEGO DC SUPER-VILLAINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
36 (NE) THE MEDIUM (KOCH MEDIA)
37 (36) SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)
38 (38) NEW POKEMON SNAP (NINTENDO)
39 (RE) LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
40 (NE) WRC 10 (MAXIMUM GAMES)

Elios83

Microsoft made some bets that simply aren't paying off with the way things went with the pandemic and the global semiconductors shortage.
Series X needs a big chip for its APU so the number of dies they can get per wafer is not really high.
On top of that they're forced to split their allocation with the Series S but that console has not a huge demand among core gamers who want the Series X while it's still too expensive for the mainstream market that might be interested to buy it as a cheap entry level 199$ device to play games through GamePass.So the ending result is an understocked Series X while Series S is already sitting on schelves.
Sony's decisions on the contrary are paying off because their smaller APU allows for more chips out of the same number of wafers, they also have much bigger brand and experience in consumer electronics and this is probably giving them some edge in securing components (they get precedence because their orders are much bigger) and on top of that they're using the same hardware on the digital edition so production is more streamlined and optimized.
Smaller APU is going to help a lot in the future when the chip is shrinked down to 5nm to drastically cut costs, make a smaller console at a cheaper price. Maybe this is a reason why Sony expects their best year ever for hardware sales in fiscal 2022.

Last edited:

Fake

Series X is a unicorn in Brazil, it had way worse availability than PS5 lately. Series S has been stable and even below MSRP (typical of Microsoft products since 360).

IDK if Brazil need to be mention taking into consideration how poor our country are. Next gen is years far from here to make sales impact.

After the huge June supply, Xbox Series X was basically impossible to find in Europe and even way less in the US.

Not sure why that is. Maybe the cloud blades impact was in July and August and not April to March. So the stock for July and August was put into the server blades in June

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sacrificing sales the rest of the year so they can claim a Holiday victory? Does it sound like something they would do?

i dunno, but part of me can see it. Maybe, not as to be able to claim a win but more have stock available for when forza and halo launches.

i mean imagine launching those games and not having stock for customers to buy?

Is series x consoles available on shelves in the uk? Because if not this is the stupidest remark to slow weeks for either PS5 or Xbox considering you can’t just go buy them.
No Sir, but the PS5 is pretty hard to come by as well. PS doing really well currently but it's a long road ahead.

Sony is a hardware company and has more pull with chip developers after decades of production. There is a pecking order in the whole chain for those that have used the fabs.

You won't see any iPhone stock issues because Apple and TSMC are best buddies.
Ahh this makes sense

Dane

IDK if Brazil need to be mention taking into consideration how poor our country are. Next gen is years far from here to make sales impact.
Because it's not just Brazil who was complaining about the lack of XSX, it's a worlwide trend, i've read a week ago that scalpers were pricing it higher than PS5.

Kerotan

Sacrificing sales the rest of the year so they can claim a Holiday victory? Does it sound like something they would do?
Nah not worth i for PS5 or xbox. Just get them into consumer hands ASAP and get them spending. It's not like a normal year where demand falls through the year then rises rapidly for Christmas. It's super high all the time and there will be shortages all next year too. The good news is like the switch they won't have to do hardware price cuts for a few years. So their profit margins will be higher then projected.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Xbox hopefuls were saying it will be MS key to outsell the PS5. lol
Yeah XSS is disaster in sales, even here, where the console is lets say sizable investment in comparison to the monthly pay, nope every one wanting Xbox is buying XSX. by my information XSX sold more than X1, X1S, X1X combined here.

But obviously it's not near PS5, but closer than before. Stronger competition = better product for us : )

Top Bottom