• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK August: big month for the PS5 / Slow few weeks for Xbox Series consoles

Woopah

Those Switch evergreens even at the top of list every week in Nintendo's weakest territory. Love to see it.
Weakest of the main markets maybe. There's plenty of countries where Nintendo is weaker than the UK (Belgium and New Zealand for example.)

Tazzu

Supply for two weeks was really good for the PS5, so much that scalpers were selling it for barely above RRP. Seems to have gone back to normal though.

I think the production split between X & S is not right for the demand...

Dunno if they can fix it easily though.
The split should have being 100% X and 0% S from the start. Bad luck for MS but thanks to Covid they would have sold twice the current amount of XSX produced at MSRP for years.

SLB1904

Banned
Weakest of the main markets maybe. There's plenty of countries where Nintendo is weaker than the UK (Belgium and New Zealand for example.)
weakest after Japan and America. for some people, that's the world. Nintendo consoles were always successful in uk. don't know where this weakest came from tbh

Fake

Because it's not just Brazil who was complaining about the lack of XSX, it's a worlwide trend, i've read a week ago that scalpers were pricing it higher than PS5.

Don't matter, because since PS360 era that Brazil don't make huge impact into sales.

First, we're a poor country. Second, as result piracy take a huge role here.

If I would guess we're entering into PS4/Xbox era right now here.

ANIMAL1975

Xbox still no stock in UK (and most parts of Europe, it seems). Weird flex by Microsoft.
7HV8HGe.jpg

Woopah

weakest after Japan and America. for some people, that's the world. Nintendo consoles were always successful in uk. don't know where this weakest came from tbh
I think it's just people looking at the software figures mostly. Nintendo games chart well in the UK, but not as good as they do in France, Germany or Switzerland for instance. Plus Xbox is stronger in the UK than continental Europe, so they face more completion there.

SLB1904

Banned
I think it's just people looking at the software figures mostly. Nintendo games chart well in the UK, but not as good as they do in France, Germany or Switzerland for instance. Plus Xbox is stronger in the UK than continental Europe, so they face more completion there.
i would guess the sales are bigger than in france and germany. chart spot doesnt tell the all picture, someone probably can correct me

zedinen

Microsoft underestimated the demand for series X and overestimated demand for series S, just as Jim Ryan predicted.

“One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We’ve considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is.”

EUROPE (HW LTD)
PS4 ~50M
PS3 ~35M
NSW ~22M

gamesindustry.biz
AWpnr4Z.jpeg

xYoHlZw.jpeg

Last edited:

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Microsoft underestimated the demand for series X and overestimated demand for series S, just as Jim Ryan predicted.

“One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We’ve considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is.”
When has the Series X/S ever happened in the past?

Dane

Don't matter, because since PS360 era that Brazil don't make huge impact into sales.

First, we're a poor country. Second, as result piracy take a huge role here.

If I would guess we're entering into PS4/Xbox era right now here.
It matters for both though, it its just reflecting an issue that has been worldwide.

Hezekiah

Banned

People in the UK (and Europe) just arent interested in a gimped next-gen machine. Whatever the split is, it should have been more heavily weighted toward the Series X.

Woopah

i would guess the sales are bigger than in france and germany. chart spot doesnt tell the all picture, someone probably can correct me
When people say Switch is weak in the UK they are talking relative to the competition. In 2019 for instance, Switch sold notably more hardware and software in France than they did in the UK. Whereas PlayStation and Xbox sold notably more in the UK than they did in France.

EUROPE (HW LTD)
PS4 ~50M
PS3 ~35M
NSW ~22M

gamesindustry.biz
AWpnr4Z.jpeg

xYoHlZw.jpeg
Sorry I'm not sure what your point is. How does that relate to what I said?

SLB1904

Banned
When people say Switch is weak in the UK they are talking relative to the competition. In 2019 for instance, Switch sold notably more hardware and software in France than they did in the UK. Whereas PlayStation and Xbox sold notably more in the UK than they did in France.
yeah thats what i mean. which i think is wrong. weak for me is like PlayStation in japan

Series X availability is pretty non-existent here in the UK, hope they have a load coming in time for the Xmas season, I need to grab one for a Xmas gift !!!

Mr.ODST

First time ive not seen the series X in stock for over 2 weeks, been PS5s available few days a week

ethomaz

Banned
That's surprising tbh. I don't really follow Japan sales but the doom and gloom news coming from Japan make it seems Playstation is pretty much dead there.
PS5 is far from dead there.
PS5 is just not selling PS2 numbers (> 20 million lifetime).

In any case PS5 is selling way better than PS4 and probably will do what PS3 did there… ~10 million lifetime that is more than UK or others EU countries sells.

Actually thinking a bit about PlayStation in Japan only sells less than PlayStation in US… it is probably the 2nd biggest country to PlayStation in terms of sales.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Xbox stock has been terrible for months now.

Poor yields? Too much focus on Xcloud? Two consoles? Whatever the main culprit is alongside standard industries shortages, it’s becoming a bit of a joke how many more PS5s Sony manages to produce in comparison.

At this rate the gap between PS5 and Xbox will be disproportionately larger than expected, and not due to demand.

MikeM

I guess Sony made the right call with a narrower GPU. More units per wafer. Probably used its connections in the hardware manufacturing business to get ideas on realistic production numbers on going wide vs narrow.

Top Bottom