• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

Jamie OD

Wasn't there another case of something being sold to CEX really early, which turned out to be stolen goods.

I think it is kinda shitty of them either way really, they must know it hasn't been released yet, so why buy it off someone.

It's a common story where I live to hear people getting their phones stolen and later that week finding them on display at their local CEX.

probably asked a ton of times, but..

what are people bets on the price of the slim??

does it have to be cheaper than OG PS4?

Slims usually are cheaper than the original. The RRP is £250 (I think) but there's deals around for ages now offering better value.

- they never got called out for the stolen batch of Uncharted 4's did they.

I imagine it being cheaper than the OG, but I have a feeling it may not be as cheap as the XboneS.

Either way Sony is gonna swim in money.

Chobel

Found it on twitter

Cqtw8x5WgAEeWbg.jpg
https://twitter.com/AlextheBird93/status/768832354026713088

LewieP

I am guessing £230 or £250 for the slim, and £200 or maybe £190 clearance price for the OG model which will go out of production.

These will just be the list price, as is usually the case in the UK there will be retailers offering discounts and bundles etc.

Probably 349

Sony hasn't shown they want to move more in America imo.

I guess it could be 299 but would move much better lower than that.

They are more addicted to profits now and they want to make as much on each one as possible. Definitely 299 to 350 imo

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That's a ~£400 that would be incredibly mis-spent at this point in time.

Kayant

More interesting note for me is the fact trade-in value and cash are the same never seen that in the time I used to buy stuff from time to time. I wonder why they are doing it here.
Proof in this thread that people don't read the OP.
Reading OPs and Titles in 2k16 LUL.

Those replys if true o_O -

@VG_Dave @RossGHolman the staff member said the guy who sold it claimed he'll be bringing in more today and VR's! I'm gonna keep checking

@VG_Dave @RossGHolman that's what he said, they have more PS4's now so he may have been but there's no PSVR's listed on the site

Ushay

Supply trucks getting intercepted eh? Sony must be pissed, this makes me wonder why there are no Neo leaks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
no way this is MSRP price is it? Too expensive.

It's an exchange/second-hand store. They're selling them for whatever they think they can get for them before the official release pulls the bottom out of whatever premium they can get for them in the meantime.

Mainly a reseller.

A lot of games industry folk go to CEX to sell them their unwanted unopened games and consoles that they received from where they work.

But they open thing if you bring an unopened to check that everything is ok, at least with games (they did that to me when I sell to them an unopened Terraria for Ps4).

But my question is more about where did they got those PS4 from?

NOOI

Banned
It's an exchange/second-hand store. They're selling them for whatever they think they can get for them before the official release pulls the bottom out of whatever premium they can get for them in the meantime.

Isn't there laws about knowingly trading in stolen goods? Wouldn't they risk losing their trading licence if Sony can prove the Slim serial numbers are from a missing batch?

Please people freaking out about the price ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN!

It's not out yet and the re-seller is trying to turn a tidy profit.

Anyone buying this thing now is either in the media and wanting to see it or totally bonkers since it will be out in 2 weeks at half the price.

GeeTeeCee

@VG_Dave @RossGHolman the staff member said the guy who sold it claimed he'll be bringing in more today and VR's! I'm gonna keep checking

@VG_Dave @RossGHolman that's what he said, they have more PS4's now so he may have been but there's no PSVR's listed on the site

Maybe the guy who "acquired" this stuff was actually saying "PS Vitas" and just happens to be from Yorkshire.

PS Vi'as.

oni-link

I'm in town at the weekend so might pop into CEX and ask to buy an NX on the off chance they have some of those in stock already

NOOI

Banned
I have no idea about UK law. But there is a possibility that Sony would have the right to take back all the consoles without compensation, in particular if they reported the theft of stock.
I say they are definitely doing something about it, but that lawyers take time to work their way through the system. They also probably want to try and track down the source as well, so they might leave the supplier alone for a bit longer.

I know someone well who worked at CEX for a long time and they would do this for games too, because they buy from a different distributer (from game amazon etc) and don't officially sell new goods are not legally or otherwise bound by street dates and will often sell games early sometime for inflated prices sometimes for RRP which is effectively inflated in the UK as games rarely sell for RRP on amazon etc. They may not have bought stolen or fallen of a truck goods and just got the delivery early and put the stock on shelves straight away or could have bought them off people that had acquired them them but the 4 + leads me to believe was they got stock early. It should be noted that they do require you to register and prove your address with a bill etc so if these were illegally obtained and are asked will always pass the information on to the police so if thats the case likely some blowback on the people involved. I personally am not a massive fan of CEX but what they do is legal and if people are silly enough or desperate enough to pay the inflated prices then thats there call, they are a large company and have good practices in place for this etc. Anyway thought this might be useful for the converstation so i thought i would add it. The info is a couple of years old things might have changed but doubt it.

LewieP

Having products in large quantities that haven't been announced/released yet? Unless you subscribe to the 'they fell off the back of a lorry' theory, they're nicked.

Or legally purchased by someone with connections in retail who were willing to break their agreement with Sony.

I don't know which it is, and unless you've got any evidence to present, neither do you.

Top Bottom