• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

It's not worth going in CEX for.

Has anyone ever been in one that doesn't stink of bo. It's like it's store policy or something.
My GF works as a supervisor at one and it's immaculate (mostly down to her) and doesn't smell at all. Additionally it's well lit. The other few I've been in I can't say the same for however. They are all. Franchised and typically ran by shitty people.

mingo

Used to work in CEX 14 years ago, I remembered we had a Nokia ngage months before release. Turns out it was stolen at a trade show by one of the representative. Police and press were involved.

The smell in most stores can also be from crack heads coming in off the street trying to sell stolen goods.

The upper management didn't give 2 fucks about staff which probably contributed to the staff not really giving a shit about customers. Although the guys I worked with were mostly cool.

The reason they sell items at a higher price is because they know it's not available, they normally buy at an inflated price too so they have to make a tidy sum it. I sold them fire emblem fates for almost £90, of course they have to sell it higher.

Anyway I only lasted 10 months. Lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony's retail channels are just that good. Slims out in the wild already before announcement. Andrew House did say he wanted to announce things closer to launch so they're already beating expectations by releasing it before announcing it!

House: ... and "just like Apple™" we can ship within a month of the announcement or less.

Employee #: but sir how can we prevent it from leaking or worse having retailers sell the console early?

House: "just like Apple™" we will manage it somehow.

Employee: Apple has its own retail stores...

House: ... oh bollocks...

Woodchipper

probably asked a ton of times, but..

what are people bets on the price of the slim??

does it have to be cheaper than OG PS4?
Most definitely. That is and has always been the point of PlayStation's slim models.

$299 or less is a safe bet I'd say.

Venom Fox

Banned
My GF works as a supervisor at one and it's immaculate (mostly down to her) and doesn't smell at all. Additionally it's well lit. The other few I've been in I can't say the same for however. They are all. Franchised and typically ran by shitty people.
Some stores have problems. It's the same anywhere with any brand of store. Additionally not all stores are franchised. A ton of them are corporate.

thenexus6

Has anyone ever been in one that doesn't stink of bo. It's like it's store policy or something.

Yeah every CEX i've been into stinks. My friend took his old PS3 fat into CEX to just get rid of it. They said we need to check it works so come back later.

He went back and they said they couldn't accept it for some reason and he said there was baked bean sauce on his controller and stuff. So no idea what they were doing with it. Probably spilling their lunch all over this PS3 while "checking it"

Lol, who pays more for a uglier cheaper console that does less than the current model. Some people just like being first I guess...

haha, nope, same applies to primark, and Primark can't blame the smelly hobbos trying to sell stuff.

The one in Camden sometimes doesn't stink, but is 1 in 10 or less.

Goron2000

best junior ever
To be fair be new one in Birmingham doesn't.

But it's entrancr has become the spot where people have fights in the town centre, so there is that.
The old one smelled awful and the floor was more chewing gum than carpet.

I can't complain too much about Cex as they were giving full retail amount in cash for the ps4 when it came out. Which is lucky as I had bought a ps4 2 weeks earlier and then found out I had gotten a job and needed money to relocate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lol, who pays more for a uglier cheaper console that does less than the current model. Some people just like being first I guess...

The people who want to have the newest stuff...although i'd disagree on it being uglier, and there are plenty of people who don't really see use for optical out

The old one smelled awful and the floor was more chewing gum than carpet.

I can't complain too much about Cex as they were giving full retail amount in cash for the ps4 when it came out. Which is lucky as I had bought a ps4 2 weeks earlier and then found out I had gotten a job and needed money to relocate.

Yeah in all fairness, long as you sell something within the first week of launch, you can break even and even make a profit. I fully intend to sell my PSVR preorder there. I'll probably make a £30 profit day one.

But any other time, or for low value items, you are better off keeping what you are trying to sell or go private.

s_mirage

Yeah, price has to be inflated. Cant be right.

Certainly. CEX were chancing it that they could shift them quickly to people who have to have unique stuff (for five minutes).

You think a large volume of units being stolen - without the press hearing about it - is likely?

How much stock did CEX actually have? The theft could have been small scale and/or internal. Hell, it could have been misappropriation of good delivered to the wrong place. Most small scales thefts will never reach the press.

Well I was in CEX yesterday, though not entirely related they had something else selling early. Xbox One S, £484 from what I remember... I mainly wasn't impressed by it, the large circle fan vent being very obvious to the eye, but that's a discussion for an alternative topic. It was strange cause it was labelled new, but looked very much like it had been abused, anyway I think they sell inflated priced goods on products they shouldn't be stocking yet but no PS4 slim in sight, would of liked a look.

Well I was in CEX yesterday, though not entirely related they had something else selling early. Xbox One S, £484 from what I remember... I mainly wasn't impressed by it, the large circle fan vent being very obvious to the eye, but that's a discussion for an alternative topic. It was strange cause it was labelled new, but looked very much like it had been abused, anyway I think they sell inflated priced goods on products they shouldn't be stocking yet but no PS4 slim in sight, would of liked a look.

That's limited edition since the 2TB isn't being restocked and its still a few weeks till the other models are available.

I mean that price is crazy mind.

My local cex is rather clean too, also rather large so you're not stuck squeezing between others to move around or queue

Top Bottom