• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

LewieP

CEX are currently selling the not currently released or even announced PS4 Slim for £380.

Their Widnes branch has "4+" units in stock in branch, and there are two available to order online as of time of posting. I can't see any other branches with stock right now.

Widnes is about a 30 minute drive from Liverpool, where SIE have a headquarters and distribution center.

l5aj3cp.png
They haven't sourced these from Sony directly. For those unfamiliar, CEX is a second hand goods store with branches in most UK towns and cities, specializing in entertainment/tech/questionable in store music choices and smells.

They will also buy one off you for £304 cash or store credit.

This suggests that much like people have been selling them on gumtree, others have been able to get hold of these consoles and flip them for a profit.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, yes this is obviously an inflated price, they're hoping potential buyers are happy to pay over the odds to get it early (and some probably will).

Wasn't there another case of something being sold to CEX really early, which turned out to be stolen goods.

I think it is kinda shitty of them either way really, they must know it hasn't been released yet, so why buy it off someone.

DJwest

I hope we eventually know how on eath these leaks happened lol. 2 weeks before the official announcement, that's really something.

Cex might not actually sell them until they release.

I remember trying to order MKX a week before launch and they would not ship it till the launch date, I also travelled 100 miles to a store to see if they would sell it, but they would not.

As a used retailer they seemingly have no obligation to keep to the publishers schedule, but in my experience some stores do. Though I've had different experiences elsewhere, and did eventually get an early copy of MKX at another store.

Rymuth

They've been running 'looking to buy PS4 slim' ads for a while so I'm not surprised they got their hands on a few.

LewieP

In case it wasn't clear, yes this is obviously an inflated price, they're hoping potential buyers are happy to pay over the odds to get it early (and some probably will).

Wasn't there another case of something being sold to CEX really early, which turned out to be stolen goods.

I think it is kinda shitty of them either way really, they must know it hasn't been released yet, so why buy it off someone.

Why shouldn't they buy it? I think more blame goes to Sony for letting it happen than a retailer buying and selling goods in accordance with the law (unless proven otherwise).

sam777

For those not aware CEX only sell second hand/preowned items, so their price is no indication of the actual retail price of the slim, as they sell for whatever they feel like.

Lagamorph

For those not aware CEX only sell second hand/preowned items, so their price is no indication of the actual retail price of the slim.

I dunno, they're usually the same price/more expensive than the brand new price on most things that aren't 4+ years old :)

Wait these consoles must of been stolen from somewhere in the supply chain.

So doesn't this mean they are selling stolen goods? That seems like a bad idea.

In case it wasn't clear, yes this is obviously an inflated price, they're hoping potential buyers are happy to pay over the odds to get it early (and some probably will).

Why shouldn't they buy it? I think more blame goes to Sony for letting it happen than a retailer buying and selling goods in accordance with the law (unless proven otherwise).

Since the product hasn't been announced, and does not even have a release date, it would suggest the console was acquired illegally. CEX should have reported it or something, as buying it off someone is just encouraging more people to do it.

LewieP

Wait these consoles must of been stolen from somewhere in the supply chain.

So doesn't this mean they are selling stolen goods? That seems like a bad idea.

Not really. They could have been paid for if the source is someone working in a retail location. Just because they were sold in breach of the agreement a retailer might have with Sony doesn't mean they are stolen/illegally acquired.

Sony would be within their rights to terminate their agreement with a retailer who did that, but I don't think any laws would have been broken.

Elven_Star

I'm kind of worried about Neo's release date now. We haven't heard anything about Neo while these have been available in bloody stores two weeks before the announcement!

Xater

I'm kind of worried about Neo's release date now. We haven't heard anything about Neo while these have been available in bloody stores two weeks before the announcement!

This was probably meant to be an "available now" moment. The Neo can still comes this year, October or November are just more likely.

I see Slim being available the day they announce it. I'm still under the assumption (with no proof obviously) that they'll time Neo closer to the PSVR.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"We're proud to announce the new PS4, and it's available...since two weeks ago!"

edit - it seems this joke was already made :p

Going to sell them mine

It seems obvious they want to do its available now moment. Can't Saturn in today's market

So I guess the neo won't be available on that date.

Maybe NEO is gonna go 8th of next year

If Sony can't get this new ps4 to 300 that isn't good

Kuni

I imagine Sony will be raining down the lawyers. Pretty sure this is also illegal as it's almost definently handling stolen goods?

Cex are such cunts now. The mark-up they put on their goods is insane

But because they have a effective monopoly nobody calls them out.

Yup yup.

Also a bit off topic but everytime I go into Cex there is a crying foreign family screaming and arguing over selling stuff and stuff not being worth as much as they thought. Everytime a different family.

Yup yup.

Also a bit off topic but everytime I go into Cex there is a crying foreign family screaming and arguing over selling stuff and stuff not being worth as much as they thought. Everytime a different family.

No lie, even cash converters have better trade in value than cex these days.

Honestly, my biggest push into buying digital has been cex and their ridiculous pricing. What's the point in trading in when you don't get fuck all for your stuff? And then, to add insult to injuryy, they sell your shit at a insane markup?

I imagine Sony will be raining down the lawyers. Pretty sure this is also illegal as it's almost definently handling stolen goods?
Stolen or someone handing then out

Id imagine they are sitting in Sony warehouses right now. If they were making thier way to distribution centers in America I think we would hear about it.

Stores get new release items through a special third party though. And for some places games ship through ups from a special media company. And they are typically pretty serious with thier stuff. Getting a employee to visit stores once a week.

But hardware is from the stores distribution chain.

They did the same thing with uncharted 4 right?

I have also grown to dislike cex, mainly cos it always stinks in there and also the mark ups. Look at how much they're currently selling pokemon games for.

£380?

looks like brexit did some damage
They seriously need it at 200 with a big push in cheap old retail titles. It's been a while since a console did the 200 push. Ps3 had issues doing it but honestly don't see why ps4 can't. They can still find a profit on hardware imo

Not even sure why they include that lame mic piece

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have also grown to dislike cex, mainly cos it always stinks in there and also the mark ups. Look at how much they're currently selling pokemon games for.

I can only imagine working there would be some sort of waking nightmare, most of the customers in them are horrible. The the ridiculously loud/awful music wouldn't help either.

sphinx

the piano man
probably asked a ton of times, but..

what are people bets on the price of the slim??

does it have to be cheaper than OG PS4?

Top Bottom