• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Nintendo Switch accounts for six of the Top Ten, Animal Crossing reclaims the throne and TLOU2 out of top 10.

Bodomism

Banned

iemE1Bf.png

joe_zazen

TLOU2 is a one and done game without the emotional attractiveness of the first one for multiple play throughs. Dad-daughter game with happy ending is way more appealing than whatever 2 turned out to be (Israel-Palastinean genocide revenge metaphor?).

& this list is a reminder that Sony has no gameplay first games that you can play for a thousand hours like nintendo, Microsoft, EA, UBisoft, rockstar, bethesda, and activision. It is a big weakness for them.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
TLOU2 is a one and done game without the emotional attractiveness of the first one for multiple play throughs. Dad-daughter game with happy ending is way more appealing than whatever 2 turned out to be (Israel-Palastinean genocide revenge metaphor?).

& this list is a reminder that Sony has no gameplay first games that you can play for a thousand hours like nintendo, Microsoft, EA, UBisoft, rockstar, bethesda, and activision. It is a big weakness for them.
What do you mean by sony lacking gameplay first games?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Let me give it a try.

Nintendo sucks.

People suck.

Therefore Nintendo dominates the top 10.

How did I go?
For a system and company that truly shit the bed in regards to anything online, having an utterly shit save game system, having your account tied to one system and vastly overpriced games, well..

You have to take your hat off to the human race and paying for punishment

Hell, I even have one.

jigglet

Banned
For a system and company that truly shit the bed in regards to anything online, having an utterly shit save game system, having your account tied to one system and vastly overpriced games, well..

You have to take your hat off to the human race and paying for punishment

Hell, I even have one.

It's got so many shitty attributes. And I bought one.

You know why? I'm a shitty human being, just like you are. Nintendo has cornered the market for human trash. What can I say?

You know why? I'm a shitty human being, just like you are. Nintendo has cornered the market for human trash. What can I say?

It's actually the first Nintendo console I don't own and have no real plans to own, especially if they're going to do a Switch Pro or some BS down the line.

PresetError

Neophyte

Greatly exaggerated hot take. Do you know where the majority of people play GTA V Online, FIFA. COD, Rocket League. Fortnite, etc. on the console space? Playstation. Also, Playstation makes the most money with DLC and microtransactions. Just look at the last financial report. Where are people playing Fall Guys now? Exactly.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
games like Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, Elder Scrolls Online, Gta Online, Mario Cart. You know, games people can play for hundreds/thousands of hours and never get board of them. As opposed to story adventure games that, well, get boring after <100 hours.
What do hours played mean though? you can have a game being 10 hours thats more fun and engrossing than a 100 hour game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

All I can say is that for all of the software I've blown money on for the Switch I still, still! Prefer the Vita..

It truly pained me that Sony let it die, what a waste! Damn fools.

I'd best go torture myself with Deadly premonition 2, urgh, I hate myself :p

jigglet

Banned
All I can say is that for all of the software I've blown money on for the Switch I still, still! Prefer the Vita..

It truly pained me that Sony let it die, what a waste! Damn fools.

I'd best go torture myself with Deadly premonition 2, urgh, I hate myself :p

All jokes aside I like it, but the online is a fucking joke and those joycon sticks...I'm on my 4th pair now. This drift problem is absurd. And the software droughts? How did they consolidate the handheld and home divisions and still end up with only one AAA title every 18 months and only a scattering of AA titles. What exactly are they doing?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get something... How did TLOU2 supposedly sold very very well in its first weeks if it sold like 4M, but when Tomb Raider 2013 came out and sold around the same SE said it didn't make initial expectations?

AFAIK, a AAA game not selling more than 5M these days is basically DOA... Am I right? This is not console warring, this I'm asking srsly because that's something we've complained in this very forum (AAA games busgets and sales expectations)

joe_zazen

Greatly exaggerated hot take. Do you know where the majority of people play GTA V Online, FIFA. COD, Rocket League. Fortnite, etc. on the console space? Playstation. Also, Playstation makes the most money with DLC and microtransactions. Just look at the last financial report. Where are people playing Fall Guys now? Exactly.

Just saying it is a hole in Sony’s line up. It might be strategic in that they are fine with third parties filling it. Oh and I forgot about Gran Turismo, so they do have one.

What do hours played mean though? you can have a game being 10 hours thats more fun and engrossing than a 100 hour game.

Depends what you mean by engrossing. Getting involved in a story or watching rpg bars fill up? You can for sure. Getting involved with gameplay systems to the point where you have internalised them? No way.

the thing is with short (less than 100 hours) is that you cannot have deep deep gameplay because it takes a long time to learn and master a truly deep game. This is why most big story games play very similarly. You cant expect players to spend a few hundred hours mastering skills for a story game. So you arent going to get into a state of flow. And with games like Animal Crossing and minecraft, you cant do those in short games either.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I think allot of ps4 games, gamers are now waiting for ps5 to play them.

I did not buy TLOU2 or Ghosts for that reason, its time for a new generation and my backlog needs addressing

I am surprised Sony did not hold onto those games for a few months, they would of sold better as Ps5 / Ps4 offerings before Xmas.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I don't get something... How did TLOU2 supposedly sold very very well in its first weeks if it sold like 4M, but when Tomb Raider 2013 came out and sold around the same SE said it didn't make initial expectations?

AFAIK, a AAA game not selling more than 5M these days is basically DOA... Am I right? This is not console warring, this I'm asking srsly because that's something we've complained in this very forum (AAA games busgets and sales expectations)

You can keep an eye onhttps://gamstat.com/games/The_Last_of_Us_Part_II/. It gives a decent estimate on player counts. Tlou2 is at 5.8 as of end of july, so 4-5 million sold probably. Is that good? I don't know. My guess is no given the marketing and the fact it was a sequel to 20 million seller.

I think it was just too dark and not the right time because covid.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Depends what you mean by engrossing. Getting involved in a story or watching rpg bars fill up? You can for sure. Getting involved with gameplay systems to the point where you have internalised them? No way.

the thing is with short (less than 100 hours) is that you cannot have deep deep gameplay because it takes a long time to learn and master a truly deep game. This is why most big story games play very similarly. You cant expect players to spend a few hundred hours mastering skills for a story game. So you arent going to get into a state of flow. And with games like Animal Crossing and minecraft, you cant do those in short games either.
If a story or an rpg system is better than the 100-hour gameplay, then length has no meaning. If a steak tastes better than 100 burgers, you want the steak. A gameplay system you need 100 hours to master is not a good gameplay system and I don't know what sort of game works like that, which games are you thinking of that needs 100 hours to work?

The story is there to enrich the game, to make the gameplay feel more important. The reason why they play similarily is cause it works and because it sells, not because it's easier to make it. Most 100 hour games play similarly too.

Bragr

Banned
I think allot of ps4 games, gamers are now waiting for ps5 to play them.

I did not buy TLOU2 or Ghosts for that reason, its time for a new generation and my backlog needs addressing

I am surprised Sony did not hold onto those games for a few months, they would of sold better as Ps5 / Ps4 offerings before Xmas.
Nah, now they get to double dip, sell a bunch now and then sell again come holiday and new generation.

Bragr

Banned

5 million is not DOA, it's very good. Obviously they want more, and Last of Us 2 is gonna cruise far past that. The Square Enix sales expectations were a sham, the company needed money and expected massive sales from their games, it was absurd, it was also a multiple console launch for Tomb Raider and the 3.4 million was across a whole month for a multi-console launch.

Last of Us 2 sales is only PS4 for one week. An exclusive title selling 4 million in one week is absolutely insane, and a gigantic success.

joe_zazen

If a story or an rpg system is better than the 100-hour gameplay, then length has no meaning. If a steak tastes better than 100 burgers, you want the steak. A gameplay system you need 100 hours to master is not a good gameplay system and I don't know what sort of game works like that, which games are you thinking of that needs 100 hours to work?

The story is there to enrich the game, to make the gameplay feel more important. The reason why they play similarily is cause it works and because it sells, not because it's easier to make it. Most 100 hour games play similarly too.

they both have their place, and they wont appeal to the same people.

Maybe ‘gameplay first‘ was bad phrasing. I saying Sony has no XXXXX games; I am not saying XXXXX games are the only games that matter and are better than any other game and therefore sony sux balls. (Replace XXXX with 2.5 Fighter, or Online multiplayer shooter, or sports game, or Minecraft-type game, or Cart racer, exercise game, card battler, diablo-esque game, etc.)

xrnzaaas

5 million is not DOA, it's very good. Obviously they want more, and Last of Us 2 is gonna cruise far past that. The Square Enix sales expectations were a sham, the company needed money and expected massive sales from their games, it was absurd, it was also a multiple console launch for Tomb Raider and the 3.4 million was across a whole month for a multi-console launch.

Last of Us 2 sales is only PS4 for one week. An exclusive title selling 4 million in one week is absolutely insane, and a gigantic success.
I think TLoU will be affected long term if Naughty Dog decides to make Part 3. Many people went in blind with TLoU2 because of how awesome the first game was and didn't believe the spoilers despite the negative reactions from the people who have seen the leaks.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You mean the fist TLOU 1 where the multiplayer was active for years after the game released?

Or what about the factions multiplayer they're currently working on right now?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

SE had high sales expectations.

TLOU 2 sold 4 million in 3 days.

3.4 million in 4 weeks for Tomb Raider.

Bragr

Banned
they both have their place, and they wont appeal to the same people.

Maybe ‘gameplay first‘ was bad phrasing. I saying Sony has no XXXXX games; I am not saying XXXXX games are the only games that matter and are better than any other game and therefore sony sux balls. (Replace XXXX with 2.5 Fighter, or Online multiplayer shooter, or sports game, or Minecraft-type game, or Cart racer, exercise game, card battler, diablo-esque game, etc.)
Well, why do they need that if third party games cover those genres? the open-world adventure genre is massive and is driving PS4 sales, why would Sony's studios make Minecraft clones when they have Minecraft on the platform and all the big online shooters? the strength of Playstation is having a massive amount of third party games and huge critically acclaimed exclusives.

Bragr

Banned
I think TLoU will be affected long term if Naughty Dog decides to make Part 3. Many people went in blind with TLoU2 because of how awesome the first game was and didn't believe the spoilers despite the negative reactions from the people who have seen the leaks.
These types of mainstream games go far beyond the gaming sphere, 90% of the people who buy them aren't following online discussion. I think Naughty Dog is gonna enjoy massive sales no matter the reaction, as long as Sony is marketing them to hell and back like they do, and they make games that look amazing and get good reviews.

Bodomism

Banned
This has more to do with PS4 and XBO owners embracing digital than anything else.
Animal Crossing physical sales alone dwarfed TLOU2.

Take a look at EMEEA chart where Animal Crossing without digital sold more than TLOU2 Physical + Digital, that's without taking Animal Crossing 50% digital of total sales into consideration.

Animal Crossing - 22.4M
TLOU2 - 4M
GOT - 2.6M
FF7R - 5M

Three

More people buy physical for switch so I'm not surprised. Also most bundles sell out because the console is selling like crazy everywhere. This doesn't account for digital sales which is higher than physical now and it includes bundles. Last gen sales are almost dead but switch pushes on.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
More people by physical for switch so I'm not surprised. Also most bundles sell out because the console is selling like crazy everywhere. This doesn't account for digital sales which is higher than physical now and it includes bundles. Last gen sales are almost dead but switch pushes on.
Animal Crossing has 50% digital attach rate of total sales according to Nintendo.

Three

Animal Crossing has 50% digital attach rate of total sales according to Nintendo.
Which was lower than average digital ratio during lockdown. Lockdown in the UK was lifted recently and bundles are coming back in stock too. I think this is why it has seen a resurgence.

Top Bottom