• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Nintendo Switch accounts for six of the Top Ten, Animal Crossing reclaims the throne and TLOU2 out of top 10.

xrnzaaas

These types of mainstream games go far beyond the gaming sphere, 90% of the people who buy them aren't following online discussion. I think Naughty Dog is gonna enjoy massive sales no matter the reaction, as long as Sony is marketing them to hell and back like they do, and they make games that look amazing and get good reviews.
Normally I'd agree, but I think TLoU2 got a lot more negative reactions than most AAA games. It's not only the "hardcore" gamers talking about the controversies and the rest consuming the product without giving it a second thought. Naughty Dog will still get a pass if they return to Uncharted franchise or start a new one, but the stink caused by TLoU2 will follow that IP for a long time.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Did you play the first game?
I'd say it was, any negativity comes from the writers not being nearly as smart as they think they are, remember they get gas for their truck from cars that have been dormant for decades, gasoline goes bad after like 6 months,
but the big one
The whole questionable morals of Joel's actions are from Druckman claiming Ellie's sample, whatever that means, being able to cure the infection.
This whole concept is really stupid as their own in-game lore says that it isn't that Ellie is immune, but that the fungus in her is a mutated strand that is benign, so effectively the cure would be anything from Ellie with fungus spores, people infected by her would be infected with the benign variant, so the real cure would be to have Ellie provide even just saliva (since bites infect) and everyone she bites would get the benign variation. Also if she isn't aware that her strand is benign, her decision to have any sort of sex is really reckless in-universe. If saliva and blood have the spores so would vaginal excretions, so she would be passing the parasite to her sexual partners. Though due to the oversights, she would actually be making them immune to the dangerous original

Bodomism

Banned
Which was lower than average digital ratio during lockdown. Lockdown in the UK was lifted recently and bundles are coming back in stock too. I think this is why it has seen a resurgence.
Nintendo not giving away ACNH for free like Microsoft and Sony for the first party games

Three

Nintendo not giving away ACNH for free like Microsoft and Sony for the first party games
Who said anything about it being free? The switch stock sells out usually. The already popular games that are bundled saw a surge this month because of it (Mario kart, animal crossing, minecraft switch)

Last edited:
You can keep an eye onhttps://gamstat.com/games/The_Last_of_Us_Part_II/. It gives a decent estimate on player counts. Tlou2 is at 5.8 as of end of july, so 4-5 million sold probably. Is that good? I don't know. My guess is no given the marketing and the fact it was a sequel to 20 million seller.

I think it was just too dark and not the right time because covid.
If you look that TLOU2 in terms of player-count dropoff, it does not look good compared to Sony's other 1st party games:

REE Machine

Banned
TLOU2 having disappeared from the Top-10 in UK no less is a VERY VERY bad sign for the longevity of the game and the franchie itself.

If you look at the titles on that list it makes the drop off even more noticeable.

Oh, and congrats to Nintendo because they are crushing it.
It'll still sell over 10 million guaranteed

Bragr

Banned
I'd say it was, any negativity comes from the writers not being nearly as smart as they think they are, remember they get gas for their truck from cars that have been dormant for decades, gasoline goes bad after like 6 months,
but the big one
The whole questionable morals of Joel's actions are from Druckman claiming Ellie's sample, whatever that means, being able to cure the infection.
This whole concept is really stupid as their own in-game lore says that it isn't that Ellie is immune, but that the fungus in her is a mutated strand that is benign, so effectively the cure would be anything from Ellie with fungus spores, people infected by her would be infected with the benign variant, so the real cure would be to have Ellie provide even just saliva (since bites infect) and everyone she bites would get the benign variation. Also if she isn't aware that her strand is benign, her decision to have any sort of sex is really reckless in-universe. If saliva and blood have the spores so would vaginal excretions, so she would be passing the parasite to her sexual partners. Though due to the oversights, she would actually be making them immune to the dangerous original
But gas going bad and the nature of the immunity is oversights, it doesn't break the story.

Bragr

Banned
They don’t have many games that aren’t heavily story driven. That is very true. While I love their single player games, I play them once and be done with it.
Yeah but 1 hour of those games are better than 20 hours in most others.

Bodomism

Banned
Who said anything about it being free? The switch stock sells out usually. The already popular games that are bundled saw a surge this month because of it (Mario kart, animal crossing, minecraft switch)

Please learn how to differentiate between retailers bundle vs official bundle.

MrA

Banned
But gas going bad and the nature of the immunity is oversights, it doesn't break the story.
when the story is heavily driven by the search for a cure, messing up the nature of said cure definitely harms the plot, though yes the gas thing is an oversight to try to cover a plot hole.

Woggleman

games like Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, Elder Scrolls Online, Gta Online, Mario Cart. You know, games people can play for hundreds/thousands of hours and never get board of them. As opposed to story adventure games that, well, get boring after <100 hours.
Thank god for that. San Andreas didn't need online and micro-transactions to become an iconic success and I am glad Sony is holding up the legacy of those kinds of games.

Bragr

Banned
when the story is heavily driven by the search for a cure, messing up the nature of said cure definitely harms the plot, though yes the gas thing is an oversight to try to cover a plot hole.
But with that logic, any game or movie based on fantasy is messed up. Besides, I would imagine that the writers have a reason for the cure plothole.

Top Bottom