• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Resident Evil 4 Remake launch 29% bigger than the GameCube original

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/resid...er-than-the-gamecube-original-uk-boxed-charts

The remake of Resident Evil 4 is the eighth biggest Resident Evil boxed launch in the UK, beating week one sales of the GameCube original.

Sales are 29% higher for the remake compared to the original, which launched in the UK in March 2005. Of course, the GameCube Resident Evil 4 was only released on one platform, and not a particular popular one, either. However, 100% of its sales were physical, whereas this remake will have substantial digital sales (download data is not included in this report, and will be available later in the week).
73% of Resident Evil 4's boxed sales were on PS5, 14% on the Xbox consoles, and 13% on PS4. These splits will likely not be as extreme when the digital data comes in, as Xbox tends to have a stronger digital share vs physical.

Although Resident Evil 4 carried a lower RRP than other recent releases (£60), the fancy £250 collector's edition means that the average selling price for the game was £62 -- making it the highest priced Resident Evil release so far.

Hogwarts Legacy holds No.2, despite a 31% drop in sales week-on-week, narrowly ahead of FIFA 23, which saw sales rise 11%. Last week's No.1, WWE 2K 23, drops to No.4 after a respectable 58% drop in sales.
Here is the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending March 25, 2023:

This WeekTitle
1Resident Evil 4 Remake
2Hogwarts Legacy
3FIFA 23
4WWE 2K23
5Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7Super Mario Odyssey
8God of War Ragnarok
9Grand Theft Auto 5
10Minecraft (Switch Edition)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
FIhsPhkXoAEUoTT.jpg

cant wait to play more when i get home

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I would not be bragging with those numbers, at all. Very disappointing sales, unless the physical/digital breakdown is like 1:10.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
14% sounds bad but MS themselves said that their splits in Europe are 20-80. So even if digital is higher, the split will likely be around 20%.

This probably explains why Capcom didnt bother fixing the deadzone issue. it should be a very easy fix but when look at those sales splits, why wouldnt they prioritize fixes for consoles that sold 86% of the units.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This probably explains why Capcom didnt bother fixing the deadzone issue. it should be a very easy fix but when look at those sales splits, why wouldnt they prioritize fixes for consoles that sold 86% of the units.
that doesn't explain the inferior IQ on PS5 either though. if that were the truth then it would be Xbox with both the deadzone and IQ issue

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
that doesn't explain the inferior IQ on PS5 either though. if that were the truth then it would be Xbox with both the deadzone and IQ issue
It's because he's talking out of his ass.

14% of sales is still millions of pounds/dollars/euros. And he reckons that Capcom can't be bothered to issue a fix because they don't care about serving what is likely a fifth of their customers.

Some people have let the console wars go to their heads.

Woopah

Top 40 is out!

Title Publisher
1RESIDENT EVIL 4Capcom
2HOGWARTS LEGACYWARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
3FIFA 23ELECTRONIC ARTS
4WWE 2K23TAKE 2
5MARIO KART 8 DELUXENINTENDO
6CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE IIACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7SUPER MARIO ODYSSEYNINTENDO
8GOD OF WAR RAGNAROKSONY COMPUTER ENT.
9GRAND THEFT AUTO VTAKE 2
10MINECRAFTNINTENDO
11ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONSNINTENDO
12NINTENDO SWITCH SPORTSNINTENDO
13METROID PRIME REMASTEREDNINTENDO
14KIRBY’S RETURN TO DREAM LAND DELUXENINTENDO
15POKEMON VIOLETNINTENDO
16SONIC FRONTIERSSEGA
17NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXENINTENDO
18POKEMON SCARLETNINTENDO
19THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD HDNINTENDO
20MARIO PARTY SUPERSTARSNINTENDO
21SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + BOWSER’S FURYNINTENDO
22THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILDNINTENDO
23SPLATOON 3NINTENDO
24THE LAST OF US PART ISONY COMPUTER ENT.
25THE LAST OF US: REMASTEREDSONY COMPUTER ENT.
26POKEMON LEGENDS: ARCEUSNINTENDO
27MARIO + RABBIDS SPARKS OF HOPEUBISOFT
28METROID DREADNINTENDO
29JUST DANCE 2023 EDITIONUBISOFT
30GRAND THEFT AUTO: THE TRILOGY – THE DEFINITIVE EDITIONTAKE 2
31RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2TAKE 2
32ATELIER RYZA 3: ALCHEMIST OF THE END & THE SECRET KEYKOEI TECMO
33CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGYACTIVISION BLIZZARD
34KIRBY AND THE FORGOTTEN LANDNINTENDO
35LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTIONWARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
36DEAD SPACEELECTRONIC ARTS
37LUIGI’S MANSION 3NINTENDO
38SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATENINTENDO
39NBA 2K23TAKE 2
40MARIO + RABBIDS KINGDOM BATTLENINTENDO

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That seems pretty low. The original game released on a single console, and the worst selling one of that generation.

onQ123

The real story here is that REMake 4 sold better on Series X than PS4

Take that Last Gen you're almost over 🤣

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That seems pretty low. The original game released on a single console, and the worst selling one of that generation.
For a game that's been re-released about 159 times since then - it's frankly fascinating it still sells as much as it does. And this is physical only - so presumably quite a bit higher in actuality.
I do remember PS2 port outsold the GC version though - not sure about UK specifically.

SlimySnake

It is VERY low. Game did not beat RE8 and RE2.

Compared to more recent titles, the Resident Evil 4 remake's sales are 23% lower than 2021's Resident Evil Village, and 38% lower than the 2019 Resident Evil 2 remake. However, it did beat the sales of the 2020 Resident Evil 3 remake (also by 38%).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

As always, wait for the digital sales. It's like people never learn 😆

It will end up a lot closer after digital comes in later in the week.
I dont know about a lot closer. RE8 launched with a 80-20 split and which ended up as 31% though that figure also includes the PC version and im not smart enough to figure out if it makes the xbox number less or more impressive.

RE8 Boxed week 1 sales: 49% of its sales were on PS5, 31% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox.

RE8 one month sales digital and retail: 43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC.

It looks like the xbox split went down likely because of them cancelling the last gen versions, but i wouldnt be surprised if they come in under 30% this time.

Crazy how the PS5 sales have jumped up to 73% from 43%. They made this a last gen game just to get those 15% PS4 sales. Hope they're happy.

onQ123

I dont know about a lot closer. RE8 launched with a 80-20 split and which ended up as 31% though that figure also includes the PC version and im not smart enough to figure out if it makes the xbox number less or more impressive.

It looks like the xbox split went down likely because of them cancelling the last gen versions, but i wouldnt be surprised if they come in under 30% this time.

Crazy how the PS5 sales have jumped up to 73% from 43%. They made this a last gen game just to get those 15% PS4 sales. Hope they're happy.

PC wasn't included in the 1st week numbers but shown in the full month numbers that also changes things

krumble

Not exactly a level playing field of comparison with the whole GameCube being last system out that gen with small install base

Sleepwalker

Game is incredible, and here in Canada the disc is out of stock at amazon, best buy and walmart lol. So it is either under stocked (unlikely) or selling a shit ton (likely)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It almost sold more on PS4 then series x/s aswell. Software sales are starting to totally tank on xbox because the subscription model is taking over.

Resident evil 4 is available on xbox. It's not sonys fault they don't want to buy games.

Dude, we buy games digitally on xbox....stop trolling...you know this? I don't know how many times we all go through this Song and dance. There will be like 30 percent worth of sales on xbox in the end, maybe more.

The series s is a digital only console, it's sold a lot of units in the UK and even those of us who own series x and s still buy digitally becuase Microsoft protect our purchases and quick resume is dope. The consoles are suited much more to digital.

Man, every time with these uk sales threads.....

Last edited:

Flabagast

Wait, its down on resi 8 village and resi 2 remake?

Is no one buying games, how can this classic be selling less than those or am I reading SlimySnake SlimySnake Post wrong?
Of course it is down. Resi Village was a true new game, and so was RE2R in a certain way.

We should be happy those sell more than a more standard remake, otherwise we can as well say the medium goodbye.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Of course it is down. Resi Village was a true new game, and so was RE2R in a certain way.

We should be happy those sell more than a more standard remake, otherwise we can as well say the medium goodbye.

Hmmmm, I always thought resi 4 was the biggest game. I expected it to be massive.

Saying that, I love resi Village and 2 remake so all good. I just expected much more from this, thought it would destroy resi 8 and re2 remake personally.

Banned
to be fair, the GC game didn't sell well enough for Capcom, which was the whole reason the Capcom 5 project was cancelled and most of the already done/almost done games were ported to PS2 asap.

Top Bottom