• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Console sales and Top 10 UK Games of 2007

Tieno

Psychotext said:
Next Gen Sales (Units):
1: Xbox 360
2: Wii
3: PS3

credit to danwarb
danwarb said:
According to ELSPA (Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association) and Chart-Track, which officially released the annual video game data for the U.K. today, the industry across the pond hit an all-time high in 2007.

ELSPA said it was an "unprecedented" year as there was a 16 percent increase in units sold for a total of 75.9 million units, and record sales of interactive entertainment software across all formats totaled £1.72 billion ($3.37 billion), representing an increase of more than 26 percent over the record numbers of 2006.

The portable market played a big part in the growth of the U.K. industry, as 2007 was the biggest year ever for handheld systems. The Nintendo DS in particular was number one in terms of software units sold, while Sony's PSP ranked fifth and sixth in units and value, respectively. "The entire console hand-held sector broke previous records and claimed nearly a third of the entire software units market, up 45% and just over one-quarter of the entire software market by value, up by 28%," ELSPA noted.

In terms of value, the Xbox 360 was tops, followed by PS2 (down from top spot in 2006), then Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PS3. Looking at the systems in terms of units sold, however, the order changes to PS2 (but #2 overall behind DS, the first time it has not been the biggest format since 2003), followed by Xbox 360, Wii and PS3.

--------------------------
credit goes to Loudninja

The top 10 UK games of 2007 (combined platforms)

# FIFA 08 (1,391,435)
# Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (1,016,558)
# Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (935,044)
# PES 2008 (787,382)
# More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (760,225)
# Halo 3 (735,176)
# The Simpsons Game (734,595)
# Wii Play (688,002)
# Assassin's Creed (670,286)
# WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2008 (563,121)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178895
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31967

I'm actually pretty happy to see FIFA completely wipe the floor with Pro Evo, Konami really needs to start over and actually make a 'new-gen' version for the series to be interesting again.

Nice to see some real numbers from chart-track, shame they aren't broken down by platform to get an idea of how it all stacked up.

Brain Training.... I wonder how much profit Ninty have made off that franchise.

donny2112

I was all excited until I saw it was combined platforms. :( Oh, well. At least, Halo 3, Wii Play, and the Brain Training games are non-combined.

Edit:
Thanks Loudninja/Tieno! :)

Kosma

Banned
Smackdown and Simpsons.........really? 51st state confirmed!

Does someone have those Italy numbers so we can compare how the software sales and come up with some ratio?

donny2112

Visualante said:
# Halo 3 (735,176)
Kind of expected a little more. It should hit a million in a few months though.

It's doing about a 50% attach rate, which is in-line with what we've seen in the U.S.

Tieno

Visualante said:
# Halo 3 (735,176)
Kind of expected a little more. It should hit a million in a few months though.
It's still the only console exclusive on that list though. (edit: woops, forgot about 'Wiiplay')

Nolan.

oo Kosma oo said:
Smackdown and Simpsons.........really? 51st state confirmed!

Does someone have those Italy numbers so we can compare how the software sales and come up with some ratio?

Well they were on quite a few platforms.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As a PES fan, I'm glad that FIFA 08 destroyed it because it was a way better game overall.
Pick up your game Konami and deliver a true PES for the PS3 and 360.

Natsume

Eh, weirdly I'm slightly unwhelmed. I always thought software sales were a lot stronger in the UK... Espeically considering there was on article saying that 78 million titles were sold in the last 12 months...

Tieno said:
The top 10 UK games of 2007 (combined platforms)
# FIFA 08 (1,391,435)
# Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (1,016,558)
# Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (935,044)
# PES 2008 (787,382)
# More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (760,225)
# Halo 3 (735,176)
# The Simpsons Game (734,595)
# Wii Play (688,002)
# Assassin's Creed (670,286)
# WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2008 (563,121)

I think you limeys are laughing at Americans not with Americans.

donny2112

beerbelly said:
So is it safe to guesstimate (wtf it's a real word?) that Halo 3 sold about 1 million in Europe + Japan?

I would think at least 1.5 million for PAL territories (not just Europe, though mostly Europe) and possibly as high as 2 million. It sold < 100K in Japan at last report.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
justjohn said:
holy crap @ the simpsons.

The Simpsons is hugely popular. And there were ads everywhere for the game here (seemingly Sony-sponsored, so I hope they got their money's worth :lol )

Gowans

as expected, but my god brain trainning is a BEAST!

interesting on the Fifa Pes stuff tho, the hardcore footy guys are all PESing it up still tho

Kosma

Banned
Gowans007 said:
as expected, but my god brain trainning is a BEAST!

interesting on the Fifa Pes stuff tho, the hardcore footy guys are all PESing it up still tho

Well Fifa was always the bigger franchise and had better sales I thought, it's only recently that PES has come close to rivaling it in sales terms I think.

JunoTaksumi said:
Eh, weirdly I'm slightly unwhelmed. I always thought software sales were a lot stronger in the UK... Espeically considering there was on article saying that 78 million titles were sold in the last 12 months...

The population of the US is more than 5 times that of the UK, so if you multiply these software sales by 5, they are very comparable to software sales in the US, and maybe even a little bit stronger.

Onemic

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm actually pretty happy to see FIFA completely wipe the floor with Pro Evo, Konami really needs to start over and actually make a 'new-gen' version for the series to be interesting again.

Why be happy? The series is still far better than EA in terms of actual gameplay. The only improvements I can really see them making is towards the presentation of the game(Audio/visual, menues, licensing, etc.) and the features. The gameplay in pro evo pretty much doesn't need to be touched as its already perfect as it is.

Natsume

BrokenSymmetry said:
The population of the US is more than 5 times that of the UK, so if you multiply these software sales by 5, they are very comparable to software sales in the US, and maybe even a little bit stronger.

True, there is that. I guess I just expected more million sellers. I'm definitely surprised Mario and Sonic didn't creep on there but I think we know the reason for that.

Fifa 08 is the first game in the UK to hit over a million units sold, so to see so many almost hitting a million this year is just an indication of how large the UK market is getting.

I reckon CoD4 will be next to a million (if it hasn't already)

slider

Hold on, hold on... is there a common consensus that FIFA beats Pro Evo this year? Well, shazam. Time to re-evaluate my life.

Cedeo

To the people laughing at The Simpsons game doing so well, the game had great advertising here and it looks almost like the show, not everyone who bought it read a review before buying it. To them it's just a great looking game adaptation of the TV show.

felipeko

I don't know if anyone is interested, but here's my graph for this top 10:
72si90i.png

slider said:
Hold on, hold on... is there a common consensus that FIFA beats Pro Evo this year? Well, shazam. Time to re-evaluate my life.
I've always been more of a PES player... but this year it pales in comparison to FIFA.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doesn't FIFA always beat PES? I know PES does better in Sonyland than here, but I thought FIFA always had the edge anyway. Even though I don't think the release is as terrible as people make it out to be, it is pretty much in line with Konami's laziness the past several years so I wouldn't be heartbroken if it underperformed. Still play it over FIFA any day of the week, fwiw (I only play multiplayer footie games anymore, fwiw, and wouldn't be surprised if FIFA's vs. AI was better than PES's cheatfest). Hell, I'd play PES 2 over FIFA (although let's face it, PES 2008-->PES 2 wouldn't be that much of a leap back).

Kaako said:
Seriously, where the hell is it?
Is it even out in UK?

Yeah, but it's never on the damn shelves...

The absence of Pokemon is very interesting, though - two versions, out for quite a while... it really should have made an appearance, I would have thought.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Cosmonaut X said:
Yeah, but it's never on the damn shelves...

The absence of Pokemon is very interesting, though - two versions, out for quite a while... it really should have made an appearance, I would have thought.
Never on the damn shelves because it's selling out? lol or not enough shipments...
It's pretty sad that with the numbers the Wii is putting out every month, SMG is not even in the top 10 UK charts. That game deserves it.
Uncharted is also another game that I wish would be on that list.

Sharp

Spiegel said:
No Mario Galaxy
I didn't expect there to be, given that it came out at the end of the year and was consistently below Assassin's Creed. What really surprises me is COD4's monstrous LTD--despite coming out late in the year, it managed to eclipse not only Halo 3, but every other game released this year except FIFA. It's almost a million-seller in the UK alone--that's crazy.

Kaako said:
Never on the damn shelves because it's selling out? lol or not enough shipments...

Both, I think. Its continued presence in the top 10 suggests it's still selling well, but it has vanished from all the shops I've been in, bar GAME, over the past few weeks. Other big Wii titles - Mario & Sonic, Wii Play etc. - seem to have been hit as well.

Top Bottom