• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Death Stranding 2nd Biggest Launch of a New IP in 2019, sells 36% less than Days Gone

FranXico

Is that a hope for a bomb? Or a prediction for the games sales?

They aren’t the same thing.
A prediction. I just mentioned that the game is a niche title. I didn't shit on it or the developer.

No, not the same thing at all.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Good sales for DS in UK I hope it follow the same trending in others places.

Sales are certainly poor in comparison to other PS4 exclusives especially with the amount of push by Sony's marketing and Hideo Kojima at the helm of the project. People were expecting DS to be at least open around MGSV or above 100k with the amount of PS4 install-base in the UK and released in November.

According to Benji for a specific part of the US market

I'm reading that right?

Every game 2nd day sales are down from the launch day lol
Let's comparing day 1 with day 2 lol

Last edited:
I'm not surprised by the soft sales. It's tough to sell a game to a mass market audience when the promotiopnal videos are really weird and the game play demos consists of a guy walking around a barren landscape with a baby on his stomach. DS is a really tough game to sell.

They made a really stupid thing not releasing a demo for DS
Rest assured, I'd eat my shoe, if the public had a demo, its sales would have been doubled

It's a blast when you actually have the chance to try it, and impossible, much more than any other game, to imagine by reading and watching about it

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Good sales for DS in UK I hope it follow the same trending in others places.

I'm reading that right?

Every game 2nd day sales are down from the launch day lol
Let's comparing day 1 with day 2 lol
he was talking about the leg, he was also making a comparison about DS vs Days Gone

ethomaz

Banned
he was talking about the leg, he was also making a comparison about DS vs Days Gone
His comment is basically nonsense.
It is like somebody that didn't have anything to say.

"Ohhh sales of day 2 are substantial lower than day 1" lol

Obvious day 1 is the launch day.
That is true to all games including big AAA titles like CoD.

Most sales come from Day 1 at called launch week.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

His comment is basically nonsense.
It is like somebody that didn't have anything to say.

"Ohhh sales of day 2 are substantial lower than day 1" lol

Obvious day 1 is the launch day.
That is true to all games including big AAA titles like CoD.

Most sales come from Day 1 at called launch week.
Now that I'm reading it again, it does seem to be worded like Day 1 are down compared to day 2.
I initially took it as him comparing it with other titles day 2 drops, as in day 2 drop is way steeper than normal.

If it is the former and that is what he means, then it's a really dumb statement to make and would only be made to make people worry.

mejin

Days Gone ~ 72K
Death Stranding ~ 46K

Old Kojima games in UK :

MGS5 [2015] ~ 170K
MGS2 [2002] ~ 124K
MGS4 [2008] ~ 110K
MGS1 [1999] ~ 100K
MGS3 [2005] ~ 86K

Top 10 PS4 Exclusives UK (Retail)

1-Uncharted 4 A Thief's End ~ 192K (TUE)
2-Marvel's Spider-Man ~ 190K (FRI)
3-Horizon Zero Dawn ~ 114K (WED)
4-God Of War ~ 96K (FRI)
5-Uncharted The Lost Legacy ~ 80K (WED)
6-Gran Turismo Sport ~ 74K (WED)
7-Days Gone ~ 72K (FRI)
8-Infamous Second Son ~ 70K (FRI)
9-Death Stranding ~ 46K (FRI)
10-Bloodborne ~ 23K (TUE)

That's a solid start for a new and original ip.

Some friends were talking about flop and I was expecting Gears 5 numbers.

McRazzle

It didn't help that right before launch, Kojima announced it was coming to PC and would be available on Steam and Epic simultaneously.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again. As someone who works in retail that sells games and consoles etc we've been bombarded with people asking if it's going to be cheaper in the black Friday sales or in a black Friday bundle. We've actually had people cancel their pre-orders because folk seem to think it'll be cheaper come black Friday. As well as need for speed, luigis mansion and a couple of other big titles like star wars.

I really don't know why we decided to adopt this holiday or sale but honestly we've been dead since mid October because people think they're going to get amazing deals in black Friday. Our trade service KPI is really high at the moment but sales are down YoYoY. Really bad.

Ryu Kaiba

OniMapQ.jpg

mckmas8808

Banned
I said this in another thread and I'll say it again. As someone who works in retail that sells games and consoles etc we've been bombarded with people asking if it's going to be cheaper in the black Friday sales or in a black Friday bundle. We've actually had people cancel their pre-orders because folk seem to think it'll be cheaper come black Friday. As well as need for speed, luigis mansion and a couple of other big titles like star wars.

I really don't know why we decided to adopt this holiday or sale but honestly we've been dead since mid October because people think they're going to get amazing deals in black Friday. Our trade service KPI is really high at the moment but sales are down YoYoY. Really bad.

Thanks for that unique breakdown on what's going on out there.

ethomaz

Banned

I can see that happening.

Black Friday is suppose to massive clean up shelves of old products/models to the free up space for the new products/models... that is why it happens every year in November.

Brasil adopted Black Friday too but stores tries to even says it is whole November to try to sell things before the actual Friday late in the month... another issue here is that all prices go up before the Black Friday so they can do big discounts % giving the feeling you paying a bargain lol

Black Friday here is being called "everything about half of the double" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jtibh

Banned
Football isn't a boring sport and Fifa isn't a boring video game.

I still confused why he decided to announce PC port a week before the release of the PS4 version from a commercial standpoint, plus the reviews the game has gotten not really lighting up the chart either.
Its like he wants this game to fail.

Maybe he was always like this but konamis pr department was able to do a lot of damaga control in the past.
He might be a good developer but a horrible business man.

DarkBatman

Maybe he was always like this but konamis pr department was able to do a lot of damaga control in the past.

And if he would have announced the PC release after the PS4 one, everyone would hate him for that, accusing him of misleading everyone to gain some more $$$.
I'm very sure he talked with Sony about the time of the announcement. No way he just did that on his own.

joe_zazen

a more charitable reading is that he wants his fans to know there is a pc version coming before they spend money on a ps4 version; which for some die hards might include console hardware + game.

Moses85

humm 45k x 50 bucks.

Over two million pounds before taxes for a couple of days of sales in one region, I recently released a book and got 10 sales in three weeks for a world wide release on amazon, fuck me i would take those sales any day off the month.

Anyone know how much Death Stranding cost to produce?

I guess your calculation is not right. Sony/Kojima Productions will make at least max. 30 USD per sold game. (At release) after that the profit will fall rapidly.

I don’t think this game will gain enough money so the development and marketing costs get covered.

It is a prestige project from Sony for their Fans and Hideo Kojima.

Bryank75

Banned
Oh now it’s not all about sales?

It must be about player engagement and driving people to your product?

Hmmmmm. 🤪
Our players have made Norman Reedus relieve himself over 10 million times since launch
if someone else would have made the same game, EVERYONE would shit on that game.. now its from kojima, so GOD FORBID say ANYTHING AGAINST kojima! HOW DARE YOU?!?!?

oh really? would you say the same thing about xbox games?

Depends, I would have said that if SSOD worked out, Insomniac may have done more with MS and possibly resulted in Insomniac not being bought by Sony.....
I dunno, the dynamics of the gaming industry are strange and it's mostly my own wishful thinking for Kojima to be in WWS.

MS got a great dev when they bought Obsidian.

Freeman76

I'm from the UK and to me its one of the best games I've played this year. Obviously GAF has a dim view of us Brits judging by this thread though!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
if someone else would have made the same game, EVERYONE would shit on that game.. now its from kojima, so GOD FORBID say ANYTHING AGAINST kojima! HOW DARE YOU?!?!?

oh really? would you say the same thing about xbox games?

I see the defense force here is on the attack and on the offence... I wonder if they will eat again crow like with Days Gone or move the goalpost again :p.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Days Gone ~ 72K
Death Stranding ~ 46K

Old Kojima games in UK :

MGS5 [2015] ~ 170K
MGS2 [2002] ~ 124K
MGS4 [2008] ~ 110K
MGS1 [1999] ~ 100K
MGS3 [2005] ~ 86K

Top 10 PS4 Exclusives UK (Retail)

1-Uncharted 4 A Thief's End ~ 192K (TUE)
2-Marvel's Spider-Man ~ 190K (FRI)
3-Horizon Zero Dawn ~ 114K (WED)
4-God Of War ~ 96K (FRI)
5-Uncharted The Lost Legacy ~ 80K (WED)
6-Gran Turismo Sport ~ 74K (WED)
7-Days Gone ~ 72K (FRI)
8-Infamous Second Son ~ 70K (FRI)
9-Death Stranding ~ 46K (FRI)
10-Bloodborne ~ 23K (TUE)

Wow, I had no idea Bloodborne was so low... :(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
two pathetic games. congratulations gamers, your contributions have given us a boring industry with the "boring indie movie" equivalent video games being made in the AAA sphere. the fun is gone and apparently we have to make up our own fun in these "Artistic" "cinematic" pieces of shit.

"I don't like thing." "It is everyone else, not I."

You're the worst. Just STFU, seriously.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's disappointing but not unexpected. reviewers poisoned the well before the game came out. everyone thinks its a boring piece of shit game thanks to reviewers trashing it on social media.

Psykodad

Banned
It's disappointing but not unexpected. reviewers poisoned the well before the game came out. everyone thinks its a boring piece of shit game thanks to reviewers trashing it on social media.
You slowly see more and more people being positive now that the game is out though.

Like others have said, it's gonna be a slow burner with a lot of word of mouth.

In here it's just some no-lifers celebrating their highlight of 2019.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I’m calling it. This will be the last big game from Kojima.

Yeah right. Rumor is the budget was modest and he has fewer than 100 full-time employees. He first formed his studio in December of 2015 from scratch (albeit with lots of members he had worked with for years) and delivered a game of this caliber and polish in under 4 years. That is an extremely impressive feat and not something that most studios can do.

Enjay

Banned
Yeah right. Rumor is the budget was modest and he has fewer than 100 full-time employees. He first formed his studio in December of 2015 from scratch (albeit with lots of members he had worked with for years) and delivered a game of this caliber and polish in under 4 years. That is an extremely impressive feat and not something that most studios can do.
They also had help from Guerrilla Games and Sony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It didn't help that right before launch, Kojima announced it was coming to PC and would be available on Steam and Epic simultaneously.

It may pay off in the long run, as that kind of move garners a lot of good will in potential fans.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There are obvious reasons why big new IP's rarely release in November when the market is dominated by the big annualized mass-market multiplats.

It only makes sense as either (1) part of a console launch slate, where establishing the platform is the goal. or (2)if the game is essentially counter-programming to the mainstream offerings, i.e. is likely to appeal to a different market segment.

FIFA is the most popular game in the entire European continent
You have chosen the worst example possible. FIFA is so popular because football is, not because it’s good/bad/boring/interesting game 🤣

I have number of colleagues at work who literally play only 1 game on their PS4 (yes it’s FIFA). They are not “gamers”, they are football fans. People like them drive FIFA sales to insane numbers every single year.

Top Bottom