• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Death Stranding 2nd Biggest Launch of a New IP in 2019, sells 36% less than Days Gone

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Glad to see that something different can sell well and hopefully be a critical and commercial success. Even if it’s not to everyone’s tastes at least Kojima has attempted something different and unique rather than another Ubisoft rinse/repeat game.
Haven’t played it yet myself but will be picking up in a few weeks when I have the time and am really looking forward to it more than any other game in a long time.

I've seen a great deal said about this on various forums but those from the outside world may not be aware that the UK for some stupid fucking reason decided to adopt black Friday as a thing and a hell of a lot of customers have been coming into store asking if Death Stranding will either be on offer for black Friday or be in a black Friday console deal. Obviously I don't know, we've had very little said about it in store apart from getting the POS from head office to go out on shelving and the like but you never. Pokemon, need for speed, Star Wars and Luigis Mansion too. People are just waiting for the sale.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm not surprised by the soft sales. It's tough to sell a game to a mass market audience when the promotiopnal videos are really weird and the game play demos consists of a guy walking around a barren landscape with a baby on his stomach. DS is a really tough game to sell.

Bryank75

Banned
Days gone came out at an easier time, DS is sandwiched between COD, Star Wars and Pokemon.....

It will sell just fine in the long run. It's more about solidifying the relationship between Kojima Pro and PlayStation. Then we can be guaranteed some crazy shit in the future.

Not surprised, zombies are really popular, but 2nd biggest IP of 2019 is still very good for Death Stranding, considering a lot of people have been very cautious and even confused about what Death Stranding actually is, running up to launch.

Hopefully good word of mouth helps the game continue to sell well, like what happened with Days Gone, after that got very mixed reviews.

thelastword

Banned
One thing is clear, no matter what game reviewers try to pan, gamers decide what they like...….RDR2 received glowing reviews, after a while, people called out all the issues reviewers did not.....Days Gone got panned, when people played they fell in love, word of mouth spread......Some reviewers said they could not get into Death Stranding because "it's not a shooter, I don't know where to go type spiels"....when gamers played it, they found it novel and refreshing In the sea of samey and regurgitated simple thrill experiences…….I bet you in a few years, some of these reviewers who defecated on DS will say, it was a game ahead of it's time......or praise another studio which they prefer who copies DS just the same....

Airbus Jr

Banned
Seen lot of people on era saying this game is doomed based on a 1st week UK sales based on comparison with days gone

Lets wait until holiday season and january report

Wel be seing alot of revisionist there

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Good. Days gone is far more enjoyable than Death Stranding in terms of gameplay and the open world aspect but unfortunately was reviewed badly by the critics for some weird reasons.

I expect the same pattern in the US and other markets as well with an exception to Japan, France, and Spain.

bitbydeath

Diddnt ign hate it due to the white protagonist or something ?

It was attacked by a lot of different sites.

jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It frustrates me when I read silly posts like “fedex simulator” and “postman simulator” because the game is far from that. Please, if you know nothing about the game do us all a service and just shut your mouth.

demigod

It frustrates me when I read silly posts like “fedex simulator” and “postman simulator” because the game is far from that. Please, if you know nothing about the game do us all a service and just shut your mouth.

It's called sarcasm, how did you miss it from me. I'm actually mocking the people that called it that yet their precious shooter sold less. My copy is coming tomorrow(Monday).

Last edited:
  1. Uncharted 4 : 192k (TUE release)
  2. Spider-Man : 190k (FRI)
  3. Horizon : 114k (WED)
  4. God of War : 96k (FRI)
  5. Uncharted TLL : 80k (WED)
  6. GT Sports : 74k (WED)
  7. Days Gone : 70k (FRI)
  8. inFamous SS : 69.6k (FRI)
  9. Death Stranding : 45k(FRI)

How in the world Bloodborne doesn’t chart!! ....UK has horrible taste

Shaqazooloo

Damn, really wasn't expecting that tbh. I thought it was guaranteed to be #1,. If the UK has meh sales for it then the rest of the world might bring more disappointment.

Edit: Oh apparently Days Gone was huge in UK so possible nvm, but I did expect monster sales from this considering the hype behind it so I still see even that a big disappointement.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

That's pretty meh imo if that is the case. I don't expect amazing numbers from other countries and I can't see this game having any legs.

What's the word of mouth? Good or bad?

woigemok

Banned
The funny part is that there are people in this thread smugly expressing their incorrect belief that these are actually poor sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Sales are certainly poor in comparison to other PS4 exclusives especially with the amount of push by Sony's marketing and Hideo Kojima at the helm of the project. People were expecting DS to be at least open around MGSV or above 100k with the amount of PS4 install-base in the UK and released in November.

That's pretty meh imo if that is the case. I don't expect amazing numbers from other countries and I can't see this game having any legs.

What's the word of mouth? Good or bad?
According to Benji for a specific part of the US market

sircaw

Banned
humm 45k x 50 bucks.

Over two million pounds before taxes for a couple of days of sales in one region, I recently released a book and got 10 sales in three weeks for a world wide release on amazon, fuck me i would take those sales any day off the month.

Anyone know how much Death Stranding cost to produce?

Top Bottom