• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...unch-of-2017-but-falls-well-short-of-original

also

Oops!

Code:
[Week 36, 2017] 01 (NE) DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 175,000 / NEW

PS4 DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 101,500
XBO DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 73,500

Code:
[Week 37, 2014] 01 (NE) DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 417,000 / NEW

PS4 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 192,000
XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000
360 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 58,000
PS3 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 17,000

Foxxsoxx

Damn. Guess this is primarily a U.S. game by a large margin.

I knew it wasn't as popular in the UK but the difference is crazy.

Mezoly

I think between digital, PC version, and Vanilla Destiny was disappointing to many have contributed to the slight decline. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same across other regions.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i do think a lot of people will have avoided it. maybe they didn't like the first game which lets be fair was hyped up like crazy and didn't stick with it. or maybe they spend thousands of hours and just feel burned out.

i think a lot of people will have held off to wait for reviews this time around. also people will be waiting for the PC version now they don't need to play on console. this doesn't even include digital sales either does it?

LTWheels

First game burnt a lot of people it's not surprising - was going to have a knock on effect.

If destiny 2 keeps up a good word of mouth I wouldn't be surprised if destiny 3 sells more than 2.

Zedark

Damn, that's a horrible drop. Even with the anecdotal evidence for higher digital numbers, it still seems like the game dropped massively from the first game. I don't really understand why: wasn't the first game extremely popular for years? Or did many drop off of the game with buyers' remorse? I'm confounded tbh.

"no digital data" Wtf then this is meaningless
No, it's not meaningless. A 58% drop is massive, even if digital share is up. The first game had digital as well, and even if the share is 20% higher (that feels generous to me), sales are still way down.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Digital Destiny 2 is £55. They're not buying it digitally.

i did but yeah maybe most people are buying it physically although the physical version is £46 on amazon right now and that's with free delivery. if you want faster delivery then you might as well go digital unless you care about a measly few pound. even £9 difference isn't that huge. maybe if it was about £40 then i'd understand.

I could maybe believe a higher digital cut than Destiny 1, but I don't believe it'd be higher enough to put D2 on even ground with the first.
Besides, after the less than stellar launch of the first game, would you blame people for holding off pending reviews/a GOTY edition?

Robiin

I think it's kind of like Watch Dogs, where they hyped the first game to death, and it didn't meet expectations for many. Why would you come back for a sequel? Obviously D1 is more loved than WD1 but I think they are similar. I imagine the same will happen for an eventual The Division sequel.

scoobs

Digital likely makes up the difference, wouldn't look into this too much. Its 2017 yall, people aren't waiting in lines at Gamestop for midnight releases quite like they used to.

Majora

The second game has sold 242,000 units less than the first, this is not going to be accounted for by an increase in digital. That would make for a ridiculously high digital split when all current estimates point towards 30-40% depending on the publisher.

"no digital data" Wtf then this is meaningless

Considering Destiny 2's boxed launch on Xbox One accounted for 42% of total sales, and sold close to the Xbox 360 version of Destiny 1 at its respective launch, this definitely says more about Destiny 2 than the state of the boxed games market in the UK.

Destiny 1 launch (boxed): 417k across all formats
Destiny 2 launch (boxed): 175k across all formats

The game would need to shift 242k digital copies, or 1.38 times what it sold in boxed form, just for the total to exceed boxed copies of Destiny 1.

If this were the case, boxed would have accounted for 42% of total sales, and that's not likely. Some AAA publishers state that boxed accounts for 60% of total sales of their games, but note that they aren't referring to launch sales of those games. The proportion of sales of boxed games - particularly in the UK where people note that there is oft boxed-digital price parity at launch - won't be below 42% for this one.

In a best case scenario at launch I could see digital accounting for 20-30% of total sales, which would be 75k across PlayStation and Xbox One in the best case scenario, bringing total sales up to 250k - still well short of 417k at Destiny 1's launch.

The second game has sold 242,000 units less than the first, this is not going to be accounted for by an increase in digital. That would make for a ridiculously high digital split when all current estimates point towards 30-40% depending on the publisher.
There are also people waiting for the PC version.

A lot of people bought the first Destiny. A large portion did not like it. Hence not as many people bought Destiny 2.

It's not hard to work out guys.....

Daffy Duck

People probably learnt the lesson that you should wait for all the content to be in the game before buying the game.

Where is this bizarre assumption its those sales are all digital coming from? o_0

Especially hilarious assumption for the UK, where psn prices are £15-£20 more expensive than retail.

Trickster

Will be interesting to see if the is indicative of the overall sales for Destiny 2

If it is, I hope it lights a fire under Bungie's ass to really go ham with Destiny 3.

I think it's kind of like Watch Dogs, where they hyped the first game to death, and it didn't meet expectations for many. Why would you come back for a sequel? Obviously D1 is more loved than WD1 but I think they are similar. I imagine the same will happen for an eventual The Division sequel.

This is a great comparison.
Watch Dogs 2 was by far the better game than the first, but too many people got burned originally. It's probably the same here.

Digital sales are up no doubt but I've no idea if it could make up the 58% drop difference.
Curious about US sales now.

Get ready for more loot boxes

Tbf the game could've sold 1,000 copies and we'd still be headed down loot box avenue.

El-Suave

Surely it's not enough to fill the gap, but for people who played Destiny a lot going digital with the sequel makes so much sense. It'll be played for years and the dlc's will make it a quasi digital game anyway over time. The disc is just a launcher and it's super convenient to skip that with a game like this.

Yeah that's not great regardless of the spinning going on here. Really seems to point towards people who were burned and were waiting for reviews at the very least or a version with DLC included next year.

And yeah I'd be very surprised if digital sales were anything special here. £55(!) compared to £45 at supermarkets or even less at online retail.

Striek

Glad to see the tragedy that was Destiny 1 isn't going unrewarded. I sure know they lost a repeat customer in me.

Wiped89

Or people are moving more towards digital

Americans can't grasp how weak digital sales are in the UK. Seriously, no one buys digital for £55 here. The UK is an *extremely* price sensitive market. A £10 difference might as well be £1,000 difference.

Americans can't grasp how weak digital sales are in the UK. Seriously, no one buys digital for £55 here. The UK is an *extremely* price sensitive market. A £10 difference might as well be £1,000 difference.
Question: I'm assuming this is true, but do we actually have any data?

People can and do gameshare don't forget, which certainly means some people will buy digital.

Podge293

Good thing I'm not American so

There is clearly a digital market. May not be the number 1 market but suggesting they haven't sold any digitally is baffling

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/64771/uk-digital-games-sales-2016/

The digital market seems to be outperforming the retail market. Vast majority make be microtransactions but the uk loves digital spending

Mezoly

A lot of people bought the first Destiny. A large portion did not like it. Hence not as many people bought Destiny 2.

It's not hard to work out guys.....

Almost like people are forgetting this fact or trying to rewrite history. A lot of people disliked vanilla Destiny. Happened to Watch-Dogs 2 and TitanFall 2 (Yeah people didn't like the lack of content in the OG TitanFall)

Top Bottom