• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Fifa 21 physical sales down 42% when compared to Fifa 20

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ales-continue-to-fall-sharply-uk-boxed-charts

Typically the biggest boxed game launch of the year, FIFA 21's opening week sales are down more than 42% over last year's game.

Another reason for the drop in performance will be the upcoming launch of PS5 and Xbox Series S and X, with consumers likely holding off for the next-generation version of the game.

However, even with such a fierce drop, FIFA 21 was still the biggest game launch of 2021 (so far), beating previous record holders The Last of Us: Part 2 and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. FIFA 21 sold best on PS4, which accounted for 62% of the sales, followed by Xbox One (36%) and then Nintendo Switch (2%).

Here is the GfK Top Ten for the week ending October 10th:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1FIFA 21
22Star Wars: Squadrons
13Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
44Animal Crossing: New Horizons
35Super Mario 3D All-Stars
66Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
87Minecraft (Switch)
78Minecraft (Dungeons)
59Marvel's Avengers
1310Ring Fit Adventure

On 9th October - the day FIFA 21 went on general sale - EA put out a press release saying over 2.3 million players worldwide had already played the game via the 10-hour trial that came with an EA Play subscription, so early interest was certainly there. Could possibly since a lot of those sales being made via digital/EA Play

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I believe EA and Ubi (I think?) lead the industry 5 years ago when it came to transitioning its playerbase to digital. I assume they're both still near the top of the pack.

So this means nothing.

What kind of nause is buying this yearly update for full price each year? To think these melts have the temerity to travel down to brick and mortar stores and pay full price in person, to double down on their shame for all to see.

Soodanim

I'd like to think the IGN review had something to do with it, but I doubt it had too much effect. Some, but not enough. The whole copy paste thing is awful practice, and people will inevitably buy without realising it.

Top Bottom