• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK - Football's Black Coalition seeks to tackle racism issues

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

A new body has been launched by black coaches, along with former and current players, to tackle racism in football.

Football's Black Coalition (FBC) aims to get governing bodies to do more to challenge racism while tackling issues of under representation in the game.

BBC Sport understands that the group was partly inspired by the MLS Black Players For Change group (BPCMLS).

BPCMLS was founded in June, in the wake of George Floyd's death in the USA on 25 May.

Thoughts?

Black players still suffer from racism in the game. It's disgusting that fans still racially abuse football players and any twat who does so should rightfully be banned from attending matches.

We already have a group that tackles racism within football called Kick it Out. However, this new group is focused just on black people and is also focused on representation of black people in the game.

Now, anybody who watches the EPL know that black players are highly represented in the game and some of the best and most exciting players in the league are black (Sterling, Trent and the amazing Mané for example), but this group is focused on getting more black coaches and coaching staff

There is hardly any black football managers in the game. That's a fact and I'd love to see more, but the question needs to be asked as to why there are not that many black coaches in football? Is it because the FA is racist and doesn't want black coaches, or is it simply that black people have decided not to go into coaching? I'm not sure there has been much RCA beside throwing out the accusations of racism.

Also, I feel a group like this should be focusing on all races. My Napalise friend actually made me aware of this article and asked in jest if there was going to be an Asian group because there are hardly any Asian managers in England either. He was joking but he made an interesting point.

Or, I'm unknowingly racist. If so, I'll probably be expecting a ban soon.

Anyway, discuss.

So are they arguing for fewer black players?

Because about 30% of UK footballers are BAME, compared to 15% of the population, almost all of those players being Black, who are a smaller minority than Orientals, and about a third of the number of Asians, both of which barely feature in any teams.

Or is this just another demand for special, privileged treatment of Black people with a victim complex propped up by white middle class media types who infantalise blacks?

Last edited:
Awww the poor souls making millions of dollars and getting hookers and blows for kicking a ball around a field. Fuck off. Who cares if the fans are racist, this ain't the 80s anymore where the fans lynch each other. There's heavy police presence on all major games.

Birdo

Banned
There actually is a lot of racist abuse in football. I've seen footage of fans throwing bananas at black players and chanting racist stuff.

However the "under representation" part is pure bullshit.

IDKFA

There actually is a lot of racist abuse in football. I've seen footage of fans throwing bananas at black players and chanting racist stuff.

Agreed. Racist fans can fuck off. Deal them with a ban from attending matches.

Agreed. Racist fans can fuck off. Deal them with a ban from attending matches.
While I agree, I also think they need to stop making such a huge fuss and treating racism as somehow inherently worse than any other form of jeering and abuse.

Ultimately the reason these stunts and jeers are being done is less likely to be actual racism, though of course that is a part of it, and more to do with the way competitive sports work, with the crowd being tribal and actively trying to put the other team off.

If you show racist behavior as being somehow worse and more damaging to the players that other forms of mockery, then of course people will be more inclined to do it, because you're telling them it's effective.

Ban anyone throwing things onto the pitch, ban not just instigators of racist chanting, but any personal attacks, and put more effort into creating attack chants and songs for the crowd to sing instead.

Footie fans are a community, and one that you want to be fanatically loyal and hate other teams, so they stay loyal and give the team money. That can become 'toxic', but mostly if the community isn't being led properly.

Last edited:
What do you expect from football fans?
The whole idea is that their tribe is centered around their club.

Best way to deal with racist fans is to win games against their team. Or cry about it, it seems to work.

UK has done pretty well combating racism in footy. But then I'm a Gooner...one of few grounds you would regularly see black faces in the stands. Unlike the grim trip up North. 😂

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Minorities are over represented in sports. I fully support bringing down their numbers and giving white unathletic people their jobs. Look at the NBA. There is 0 reason Lebron should be making more than some white guy playing in the D-League outside of his skin color. Reduce the NBA to 13% black and 65% white and reduce the black-white pay gap in the NBA. No reason why blacks and whites aren't making the same salary for doing the same job.

appaws

Banned

Bullshit. Everyone knows bananas are full of potassium. They are just trying to make sure their favorite athletes don’t get cramps.

MrS

Banned
BPCMLS was founded in June, in the wake of George Floyd's death in the USA on 25 May.
^Tells you everything you need to know. The killing of George Floyd by an American policeman has absolutely fucking zero to do with football in the UK. The creation of BPCMLS is simply band wagon stuff and it won't be able to match or better the work already done by Kick It Out.

Yeah, talk to me about racism in football when the England manager was vilified for saying "he was like a monkey on their back" and the media tarred him with a brush (poor choice of words?) for being a racist, while falling over themselves trying to explain why it was racist without sounding racist themselves.

As for racist chanting, it isn't racist, it's just an easily targetable characteristic, like crouch being a lanky cunt, Beckham being a thick cunt, all of the Germans being German cunts, the geordies being monkey-hanging cunts and all the refs being wankers.

We need to see the difference between racism (I hate everyone who isn't my race) and calling someone a black cunt (insult using black in lieu of French, German, lanky, thick or southern).

How can a football fan who supports and loves his or her team - which often consists of black players - be a racist when slagging off other teams' players? He or she can't.

IDKFA

Yeah, talk to me about racism in football when the England manager was vilified for saying "he was like a monkey on their back" and the media tarred him with a brush (poor choice of words?) for being a racist, while falling over themselves trying to explain why it was racist without sounding racist themselves.

As for racist chanting, it isn't racist, it's just an easily targetable characteristic, like crouch being a lanky cunt, Beckham being a thick cunt, all of the Germans being German cunts, the geordies being monkey-hanging cunts and all the refs being wankers.

We need to see the difference between racism (I hate everyone who isn't my race) and calling someone a black cunt (insult using black in lieu of French, German, lanky, thick or southern).

How can a football fan who supports and loves his or her team - which often consists of black players - be a racist when slagging off other teams' players? He or she can't.

"We need to see the difference between racism (I hate everyone who isn't my race) and calling someone a black cunt"

Mate, how the fuck is that not racist? You're using their race as part of the insult.

Would you like to be able to call black players "black cunts" and get off scott free?

Anyway, it's a been a little more than somebody shouting "black cunt" from the stands. What about the monkey chanting and throwing bananas at black players? Is that all just banter as well?

To be honest fella, you sound like a bit of a racist cunt.

"We need to see the difference between racism (I hate everyone who isn't my race) and calling someone a black cunt"

Mate, how the fuck is that not racist? You're using their race as part of the insult.

Would you like to be able to call black players "black cunts" and get off scott free?

Anyway, it's a been a little more than somebody shouting "black cunt" from the stands. What about the monkey chanting and throwing bananas at black players? Is that all just banter as well?

To be honest fella, you sound like a bit of a racist cunt.
I'm not the best at explaining myself.

I'm talking about the word racism used as a pure definition. You can't be racist while championing people of the same race you apparently hate. And in England, I find the notion of 'racism' pretty stupid. There are arse holes, stupid people and show-offs, but racists? On a short trip to the shops I encounter Eastern Europeans, Asians, Scots, oreintals etc. So racism to me seems stupid.

For the record, I'm not in to footie. I've heard the chants and what people say but it's less hatred of a race and more directed anger at an individual, using the most obvious differentiating characteristic.

If one saw a fat person a called them a fat cunt, would it be true that one hates all fat people?

Maybe I see things too simply because in my world there is not black and white, just people.

That probably cleared nowt up.

I just don't see how these acts are racist in nature and motivation and not just some idiots using effective methods to get a reaction 🤷‍♂️

Edit: the throwing bananas and monkey chants is unacceptable, I didn't see that. Though again, the racism in footy isn't isolated to England and isn't actually anywhere near as bad as what the Europeans do. Not excusing it, but let's tackle the problem where it's the biggest and that's international footy

Last edited:

IDKFA

I'm not the best at explaining myself.

I'm talking about the word racism used as a pure definition. You can't be racist while championing people of the same race you apparently hate. And in England, I find the notion of 'racism' pretty stupid. There are arse holes, stupid people and show-offs, but racists? On a short trip to the shops I encounter Eastern Europeans, Asians, Scots, oreintals etc. So racism to me seems stupid.

For the record, I'm not in to footie. I've heard the chants and what people say but it's less hatred of a race and more directed anger at an individual, using the most obvious differentiating characteristic.

If one saw a fat person a called them a fat cunt, would it be true that one hates all fat people?

Maybe I see things too simply because in my world there is not black and white, just people.

That probably cleared nowt up.

I just don't see how these acts are racist in nature and motivation and not just some idiots using effective methods to get a reaction 🤷‍♂️

Edit: the throwing bananas and monkey chants is unacceptable, I didn't see that. Though again, the racism in footy isn't isolated to England and isn't actually anywhere near as bad as what the Europeans do. Not excusing it, but let's tackle the problem where it's the biggest and that's international footy

It's cleared up. I'm sorry for jumping the gun and being quick to label you racist.

However, calling somebody a "black cunt" would be racist to many people and meets the definition of racism.

If I called my black mate a stupid cunt, he'd laugh at me and give back some banter like the archbishop of banterbury he is, but if I called him a "black cunt", well then that changes things. I'm singling out his race and using it as an insult. He'd probably give me a well deserved smack in the chops for that.

It's cleared up. I'm sorry for jumping the gun and being quick to label you racist.

However, calling somebody a "black cunt" would be racist to many people and meets the definition of racism.

If I called my black mate a stupid cunt, he'd laugh at me and give back some banter like the archbishop of banterbury he is, but if I called him a "black cunt", well then that changes things. I'm singling out his race and using it as an insult. He'd probably give me a well deserved smack in the chops for that.
I fully understand how it could be read and I don't blame you for jumping the gun, I'm glad you did! Others may have read my post and reacted how you did, just without giving me the chance to try and offer my follow up.

Each person is different and I understand that, which is why the branching 'racism in football' kind of grips my shit - individual behaviour does not a racist issue make. Im confident in saying that English football and the Premier league is the most accepting of fans, players and managers of different backgrounds, races and orientations, in the world. And I vehemently disagree that the way to solve racism is to create a group or committee comprising of only one 'race' (the joke being that black skin = one race, when many races have black and or dark skinned peoples among them)

But then again, my mind is a rats nest of thoughts and my logic is about as easy to follow as a snakes' orgy.

Top Bottom