• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: June Wii U SOFTWARE up 480% (units), PS4 LTD passes 3 million

jvm

Gamasutra.
SORTED BY 1H 2014 COLUMN

EVERYTHING HERE IS SOFTWARE NOT HARDWARE

9ipeSah.png

gibv2QZ.png

PS4 LTD Software: 3.02 million
XB1 LTD Software: 2.61 million
Wii U Software LTD: 1.32 million

PS4-XB1 Difference: 410,000

Edit: Because someone inevitably asks, these are estimated because the figures have a small imprecision on the order of a few thousand.

Radec

24k to 139k.

Huge increase until you compare it to the 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbone software and reality hits you.

oti

Banned
The UK market really hates Handheld gaming.

The differences between the European nations are fascinating. Germany loves Landwirtschaftssimulator and the PC, France is really into Nintendo, UK is the EU-USA and Spain is THE PlayStationNation.

Looking at the June numbers, PS4 sold around 100k MORE than PS3, Xb1 sold almost 200K LESS than 360.

MS really struggling to get 360 owners to convert over.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The differences between the European nations are fascinating. Germany loves Landwirtschaftssimulator and the PC, France is really into Nintendo, UK is the EU-USA and Spain is THE PlayStationNation.

Looking at charts and trends, I'd say UK is actually more "dudebro-land" than USA.

L~A

Last June Animal Crossing: New Leaf released. This year, instead, we got Tomodachi, that only now is selling better.

Yeah, AC was really huge, a drop was to be expected... though as you said, Tomodachi Life keeps doing better and better.

It's been #1 non-stop on Amazon FR and DE. Crazy stuff.

Wow, 3DS really fell off a cliff.

June 2013/June 2014, yeah, but the 1H drop is far less dramatic, and - as noted above - AC was a major release out of the gate, whereas Tomodachi is a slow grower.

Wii U SW bump is nice, but hopefully it will be the start of a small upturn across the board.

Looking at the June numbers, PS4 sold around 100k MORE than PS3, Xb1 sold almost 200K LESS than 360.

They're just SO HAPPY with the 360.

/MS PR

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The better news is the Wii U software revenue actually. That's where Nintendo needs the push. And the fact that it's more than compensating the drop in 3ds software. Unfortunately there is also the Wii one which dropped more than half. Let's see now if they manage to keep a highly monthly average.

24k to 139k.

Huge increase until you compare it to the 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbone software and reality hits you.

Then you compare also the install base in UK and it doesn't look that bad. Not a success though.

Mario Kart bundle has been strong, and Nintendo has been more willing to drop the price on their games for Wii U. £30 for Mario Kart in GAME. HUKD crowd has been warming up to both I think.

RiggyRob

The better news is the Wii U software revenue actually. That's where Nintendo needs the push. And the fact that it's more than compensating the drop in 3ds software. Unfortunately there is also the Wii one which dropped more than half. Let's see now if they manage to keep a highly monthly average.

Yeah, now people are actually buying games. More promotions like the free game with Mario Kart 8 need to happen to keep the momentum up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

You are seeing the same thing in NPD every month also. PS4 outsells PS3 versions, but 360 outsells XBONE versions.

At this second it shouldn't be "too" concerning for MS.. They are getting the licensing royalties/revenue either way. The concerning part becomes "will they be able to retain those latent adopters or will those customers simply go to the current gen market leader when they move?"

I know a lot of fanboys believe in ecosystem.. but the reality is these growing margins in the UK and US can't solely be coming from faster playstation ecosystem uprgades vs. latent xbox ecosystem gamers. there is actual conversion happening here and THAT'S the part that has to be troubling to MS, compared to say actual XBONE revenue which for now is probably fine.

Nintendo's software sales are up 479% but that's still nearly 2.5x less than what the Xbone did? Just goes to show how deep of a hole they've dug themselves.

Nintendo's software sales are up 479% but that's still nearly 2.5x less than what the Xbone did? Just goes to show how deep of a hole they've dug themselves.
Nintendo was pretty much screwed here in the UK back at the time of the Gamecube. Wii was a lucky strike, Wii U is pretty much proving that.

Fantastic news, but still cannot justify getting one myself with so many PS3 titles to play.

This will give Nintendo a bit more confidence, and hopefully means a lot more first party titles.

I do think Nintendo will play it very safe with the Wii U and pump out as many smaller games and remakes as possible due to the downturn in their fortunes.

MK8 looks marvelous and certainly warrants a purchase.

Looks at the tables provided, this topic is about software sales.

Well I saw the software charts, and I saw how that information was separate, so I wasn't sure. Maybe my computer has been infected with some sort of malware/spyware/virus, or maybe it's an add-on I have installed for Firefox, but sometimes images/videos don't show up in posts. Which is why I asked.

Bumhead

Banned
The system's biggest retail heavy hitter spearheads the Wii U towards 5th place in the software sales charts, lagging behind the PS4, Xbox One (which isn't exactly setting the UK alight from a hardware standpoint either) and 2 last gen systems.

Raise the bunting.

While Mario Kart has certainly caused a nice surge in WiiU software/value, it's the only WiiU game doing anything. Doesn't seem to have caused any increase in other titles at all. I wonder how much the free game had an effect on this too.

Top Bottom