• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | PS5 #1 Hardware, 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Digital+Physical)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I’m reading these numbers correctly, can we finally end the age old debate as to why PlayStation and Nintendo get more Japanese support or why certain games don’t show up on XBOX? RE4 is about as big as it gets for Japanese games or gaming in general and the split is still large. I think RE Village had similar, if not a larger gap as well. XBOX gamers just don’t buy and support near as many games as the competition and this has been going on long before Gamepass.
Yep.

Doesn't that count PS4 and PS5 and also there is no Xbox One version of this game.

Doesn't matter if there is no XBO version; PS4 version only account for 9% of the PS RE4R split in UK. Zero chance XBO would have done that much, maybe half that at most.

And what does that change the ratio to? 60% PS/25% Xbox/15% PC? That's barely any better for Xbox.

Ev1L AuRoN

Some people seem to want a monopoly. Why?
Idk the others but what I want is to buy a PS5 and play cod, if cod became exclusive to the Xbox, I'll lose one game that I really enjoy, but I won't buy a second console for it, nor will chose the platform that I don't want because of it.

Microsoft could be the gaming king if only they did a better job, the 360 proves it, Microsoft was killing back then, so much so that they thought they can do no wrong, and implode the brand with the Xbox One, Sony was at the same position with the PS3 launch, now just look how two different companies approach the same problem. PS3 and Xbox One had the same issue at launch, overpriced, and with the worst performance.

Varteras

Gold Member
If I’m reading these numbers correctly, can we finally end the age old debate as to why PlayStation and Nintendo get more Japanese support than XBOX now? RE4 is about as big as it gets for Japanese games or gaming in general and the split is still large. I think RE Village had similar, if not a larger gap as well. XBOX gamers just don’t buy and support near as many games as the competition and this has been going on long before Gamepass.

No, because I'm sure this will conveniently be forgotten the next time some exclusive deal happens. That or some narrative will pop up that RE games not selling well on Xbox is somehow Capcom's fault. No matter how many times you point this stuff out, there is never a finger pointed back at the fanbase that didn't buy the games.

I'm sorry, but if you're an Xbox gamer who is upset about Japanese games not coming to your platform, be upset with yourself and your fellow Xbox gamers for not buying enough of them for going on 3 generations now. We're talking about a great remake of one of the best, most celebrated games of all time. RE is about as Western as you get from a Japanese company. Yet, despite being almost half the console install base, you sold a quarter of the console versions. Meanwhile, your competitor, who is just over half the install base, sold 3 times more.

Whether that is because of GamePass or a lack of interest, doesn't matter. Every time this plays out, it's one more reason why Nintendo or PlayStation get Japanese games that Xbox doesn't. This is just the UK where Xbox is competitive. The situation in the US is probably similar and you know in Europe or Japan it's a slaughter.

Doesn't matter if there is no XBO version; PS4 version only account for 9% of the PS RE4R split in UK. Zero chance XBO would have done that much, maybe half that at most.

And what does that change the ratio to? 60% PS/25% Xbox/15% PC? That's barely any better for Xbox.
Someone already addressed this in more detail and with less speculation but I get what you are saying.

Unknown?

Idk the others but what I want is to buy a PS5 and play cod, if cod became exclusive to the Xbox, I'll lose one game that I really enjoy, but I won't buy a second console for it, nor will chose the platform that I don't want because of it.

Microsoft could be the gaming king if only they did a better job, the 360 proves it, Microsoft was killing back then, so much so that they thought they can do no wrong, and implode the brand with the Xbox One, Sony was at the same position with the PS3 launch, now just look how two different companies approach the same problem. PS3 and Xbox One had the same issue at launch, overpriced, and with the worst performance.
They imploded the brand with the end of the 360. No core games and a focus on kinect. Yeah it sold to the remaining Wii crowd that was fading but ultimately that market died off completely and previous fans left due to long alienation.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

kinda of a no brainer and should be zero surprise.

PS has a larger install base, Marketing, PS4 and PS5 and a free PSVR2 upgrade in the future.

enjoying the duel sense with this game.

Last edited:
One thing of note is that Microsoft is at least successful in one thing. They have successfully hid the loss in market share to their own customers. The entire point of not reporting hardware sales is to prevent their cusomers from panicing, and it worked. Even now Xbox customers are still refusing to belief Xbox is currrently not number 2 in gaming, but is number 3.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
One thing of note is that Microsoft is at least successful in one thing. They have successfully hid the loss in market share to their own customers. The entire point of not reporting hardware sales is to prevent their cusomers from panicing, and it worked. Even now Xbox customers are still refusing to belief Xbox is currrently not number 2 in gaming, but is number 3.
Actually, Microsoft's CEO, Satya Nadella, paints an even bleaker picture.

p9xJYU1.jpg

quest

Not Banned from OT
No, because I'm sure this will conveniently be forgotten the next time some exclusive deal happens. That or some narrative will pop up that RE games not selling well on Xbox is somehow Capcom's fault. No matter how many times you point this stuff out, there is never a finger pointed back at the fanbase that didn't buy the games.

I'm sorry, but if you're an Xbox gamer who is upset about Japanese games not coming to your platform, be upset with yourself and your fellow Xbox gamers for not buying enough of them for going on 3 generations now. We're talking about a great remake of one of the best, most celebrated games of all time. RE is about as Western as you get from a Japanese company. Yet, despite being almost half the console install base, you sold a quarter of the console versions. Meanwhile, your competitor, who is just over half the install base, sold 3 times more.

Whether that is because of GamePass or a lack of interest, doesn't matter. Every time this plays out, it's one more reason why Nintendo or PlayStation get Japanese games that Xbox doesn't. This is just the UK where Xbox is competitive. The situation in the US is probably similar and you know in Europe or Japan it's a slaughter.
It is their fault they released a half ass port to the xbox with major issues. There is no reason to get the xbox version until the game is completely fixed. Deadzone and performance issues are enough to keep any informed consumer away.

Varteras

Gold Member
It is their fault they released a half ass port to the xbox with major issues. There is no reason to get the xbox version until the game is completely fixed. Deadzone and performance issues are enough to keep any informed consumer away.

Real Life Love GIF by Abbey Luck

I had fun with ki ,but the lack of sfv was clearly a huge mistake ,I don't see how it help not supporting a certain game especially if it's a major game, yeah ,it's bigger than dmc and even resident evil, it's big.

Dunno if I'd say SF is bigger than RE. I'd say at most they seem about even in brand and selling power. But SFVI could change that, it's been getting a lot of mainstream traction pretty much since reveal.

Both of them are easily bigger franchises than DMC, though. Again just talking in terms of brand power and sales.

It's impossible for them to know how much RE4 sold on PC so it's safe to assume the rest of their numbers are equally made up crap.

I can taste the Pink Himalayan salt from your eyes as you cope.

I mean its pretty obvious GamePass eats away at sales, same way PS Plus does. I heard so many people comment "so glad I didnt buy Kena" or "glad I didnt bite the sale" now that Kena is on PS Plus.

Personally I don't think PS+ has quite the same impact on software sales Game Pass does, and we've even kind of seen this with Tchia as that charted in the UK despite being on PS+ Day 1. But a lot of this could be due to the fact the wider perception of Day 1 in PS+ isn't a thing, whereas for at least indie and smaller AA games that is the default expectation for Game Pass.

Though I think Sony still need to be careful with how they handle putting their own games into PS+. Still don't know if putting HFW in there a little over a year after release was a great idea. Just as long as it doesn't create a precedent. Though I think in HFW's case it was due to the Burning Shores expansion, and the way that expansion just handles things as a whole (i.e you need to complete the story of HFW to play Burning Shores).

yazenov

Most consumers outside of these forums do not know any technical details about games or their performances. You are giving Digital Foundry too much credit.

If that were the case, then why did the majority of people buy the PS5's version instead? That version also had its share of problems such as the Vaseline effect and so forth.

I think reviews of the games are way more important than their technical issues. RE4 remake received overwhelmingly positive reviews and most reviewers neglected to mention any technical issues.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I said we were going to see this more often. Even big 3rd party games are struggling to sell on xbox. As nice as gamepass is, it has definitely hurt the xbox brand overall. Its made it easier for sony because publishers are more reliant on them to sell their games. That's why Microsoft are in panic throw money at it mode. The focus on gamepass has backed them into a corner.

Funny people like me, you, and many others on GAF said this years ago because some laugh and argued with us. But the prediction was really basic logic. Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?

Ansphn

Microsoft went all-in for Gamepass. There is no plan B. If Gamepass doesn't change the entire industry then it isn't worth doing on its own.

Console gaming was once about third parties living in the hardware ecosystem and pay the platform owner rent. Now with Gamepass it is Microsoft paying developers rent to run their games on Xbox.

What is the difference? The difference is that with the original model, third parties do the hard work. The Gamepass model has MICROSOFT do the heavy lifting while the developers collect paychecks.

If a third party lose money then for Playstation or Nintendo, they don't get affected by a failed game. But if a Gamepass Game failed, Microsoft already paid for the game and took the losses while the developer walks away unscathed.
There is a Plan B and that's going 3rd party

Mung

Funny people like me, you, and many others on GAF said this years ago because some laugh and argued with us. But the prediction was really basic logic. Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?
The arguments that gamepass was all win and no risk for MS (such as it not cannibalising game sales even though it was completely obvious it would) were based purely on wishful thinking.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The arguments that gamepass was all win and no risk for MS (such as it not cannibalising game sales even though it was completely obvious it would) were based purely on wishful thinking.
And this is not the only disadvantage of this business model. There are many others that people have been highlighting here for some time now; but others continue to ignore and close their eyes to.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It just shocks me that STILL till this day most video game media heads aren't speaking about GP this way. The only one I know that has been is Colin Mortiary.

Most consumers outside of these forums do not know any technical details about games or their performances. You are giving Digital Foundry too much credit.

If that were the case, then why did the majority of people buy the PS5's version instead? That version also had its share of problems such as the Vaseline effect and so forth.

I think reviews of the games are way more important than their technical issues. RE4 remake received overwhelmingly positive reviews and most reviewers neglected to mention any technical issues.

Didn't Digital Foundry declare the Series X as having the best version?

I mean its pretty obvious GamePass eats away at sales, same way PS Plus does. I heard so many people comment "so glad I didnt buy Kena" or "glad I didnt bite the sale" now that Kena is on PS Plus.
Those cant be early adopters, Kena was an Indie a lot of people were excited for. The PS5 was not exactly easy to get when this game released. I bought the game when it came out. The visuals and art style is very close to a Pixtar animation movie, combat is "souls like" and it runs smooth at 60fps.

I wonder if they're keeping their options open to see who would they rather be bought between Sony, Warnerbros, Disney, Ea or Tencent. Unlikely they quit animation to become an Indie studio and foot the publishing bill for their games.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
With the current situation, it seems likely they will.

The future clearly is cross platform and those Xboxes Numbers are dire in the hardware section, we're talking about Xbox strongest market here or 2nd.
I don't really know what their motivation is for hardware. They seem to be primarily interested in selling a service. Hell Sony would probably be more interested in GP if they didn't have a competing console

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Exactly.

Because damn near everything in life has pros n cons. And some ppl really can't understand this.

Mr Moose

How could they possibly know how much RE4 sold on steam? Valve never releases such data and Capcom hasn't either so far.
Says who? NPD do, why wouldn't these?

The sales-tracking intelligence firm The NPD Group is expanding its monthly gaming report to include point-of-sale information for digital games sold through PlayStation Network, Xbox Store, and Steam. Those are the three major distribution channels for digital console and PC sales in the United States — although it does leave a gap when it comes to Nintendo products sold through the eShop on Wii U, 3DS, and the upcoming NX console. NPD is also not including mobile. Gaming is a $99.6 billion business worldwide, and a growing portion of that total is all digital — by including that data, NPD is ensuring that the information it provides its corporate clients stays relevant well into the future.

To get these sales figures, NPD is partnering with publishers. The company is getting digital data from the following companies:

Activision Blizzard
Capcom
Deep Silver
Electronic Arts
Square Enix
Take-Two Interactive
Ubisoft
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Between Activision, EA, WB, Take-Two, and Square Enix, NPD has the largest third-party publishers covered. Again, however, it is missing data from Nintendo. Additionally, Blizzard isn’t sharing data from its Battle.net PC gaming service, nor is EA with its Origin portal. Steam is the only PC store, and NPD is explicitly saying that it isn’t trying to represent the entire PC-gaming market.

SHA

I think he might have made a mistake something seems off
Why did PS5 share go up so high after removing PC & PS4?

I thought it was around 70% with PS4 included but I don't have the actual numbers to calculate & just removed percentages & recalculated so I could be way off 😂
They don’t seem young, brand attachment like ff probably, there's no better explanation.

I don't really know what their motivation is for hardware. They seem to be primarily interested in selling a service. Hell Sony would probably be more interested in GP if they didn't have a competing console
Well yeah, Microsoft literally has software in its name. Xbox was Direct X , the software, in a Box. MS does make hardware, it just isn't their core business and probably never will be.

Woopah

How could they possibly know how much RE4 sold on steam? Valve never releases such data and Capcom hasn't either so far.
From the article:

"GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom..."

If I’m reading these numbers correctly, can we finally end the age old debate as to why PlayStation and Nintendo get more Japanese support or why certain games don’t show up on XBOX? RE4 is about as big as it gets for Japanese games or gaming in general and the split is still large. I think RE Village had similar, if not a larger gap as well. XBOX gamers just don’t buy and support near as many games as the competition and this has been going on long before Gamepass.
Resident Evil has a long history on PlayStation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why buy games when you can hold out and hope it comes to gamepass once everybody has forgotten about it?
I've never understood the compulsive frontloaded pressure of the console scene when it comes to "top of the pops" games. I understand getting hold of something you're excited about ASAP. But sometimes it seems like games coming out have an expiration date that you desperately need to obey. I like RE even as a PC user, but I feel no stress, maybe I'll buy RE4 next month, perhaps next year, who cares if someone else "has forgotten about it" or not, why should that be a concern of mine.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I've never understood the compulsive frontloaded pressure of the console scene when it comes to "top of the pops" games. I understand getting hold of something you're excited about ASAP. But sometimes it seems like games coming out have an expiration date that you desperately need to obey. I like RE even as a PC user, but I feel no stress, maybe I'll buy RE4 next month, perhaps next year, who cares if someone else "has forgotten about it" or not, why should that be a concern of mine.

Console scene? This happens in every industry.

The market moves the way it moves. People want to live now, not later. Most people don’t have a backlog full of garbage they would never get around to anyway, nor do they play multiple games a month.

Waiting will save you money of course.

Resident Evil has a long history on PlayStation.
True, but the perplexing thing to me is, even Mass Effect Collection and Hitman 3 which both to my knowledge have a long history on XBOX still sold much better on the PlayStation as well as those are pretty popular Western titles.

Top Bottom