• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Nanny State | Oi guv, that there's an assault spoon, innit?

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
I have no trust or respect for the government or opposition. They are all a bunch of self serving tossers.

Im guessing you didnt read one of the links previously posted. You dont just get arrested for having a knife on the street.

Yes, the appearance of a person could cause suspicion, a grown man with work clothes on is unlikely to get stopped, searched and arrested if carrying a knife, but a 16 year old scrote in trackies, gold chains and hoody carrying one will likely be arrested.

Dont the US police still do it?
No.

That’s calling “profiling”.

Arresting people based on how they look or how they’re dressed is illegal, and kinda morally wrong. Someone wearing nice clothes shouldn’t be forgiven more easily than someone with more raggedy or trashy clothes. That’s retarded.

Stopping suspicious people and searching them (not arresting them) is more reasonable, but can also easily be used by individual officers or divisions to feed into their own prejudice. Police officers here often used Stop & Search laws to stop and detain a rather large number of black people for questionable-at-best reasons, so those practices have a pretty bad reputation over here.

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
RIP UK

Im actually surprised they didnt make the cartoon man and woman to the left and right black and brown
Me too honestly. After all I remember they did this subway sexual harassment ad where the guy was a well mannered white guy going after a brown woman:

Meanwhile back in the real world:

Look at all those white businessmen harassing her, smh...

Last edited:
Reactions: bucyou

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Big fan of Orwell is all, guv.

Those who defend this, and other examples in this very thread, are like abused spouses who no matter what, will defend the abuser.

The examples shown here are so alien to Americans, it cannot be overstated.

"If only I was a better person, my government wouldnt hate me so much. I need to do better."

Mind boggling.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

jep_uk

Nov 5, 2014
Warrington, England
No.

That’s calling “profiling”.

Arresting people based on how they look or how they’re dressed is illegal, and kinda morally wrong. Someone wearing nice clothes shouldn’t be forgiven more easily than someone with more raggedy or trashy clothes. That’s retarded.

Stopping suspicious people and searching them (not arresting them) is more reasonable, but can also easily be used by individual officers or divisions to feed into their own prejudice. Police officers here often used Stop & Search laws to stop and detain a rather large number of black people for questionable-at-best reasons, so those practices have a pretty bad reputation over here.
Way to misunderstand. They are not arrested for how they are dressed, but they arrested for having a knife and no good reason, a scrote on a bmx is unlikely to need the knife for any genuine reason, as it is unlikely they are a joiner or carpet fitter. A joiner in his work clothes is likely to have good reason for carrying one and is therefore unlikely to be arrested.

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
Way to misunderstand. They are not arrested for how they are dressed, but they arrested for having a knife and no good reason, a scrote on a bmx is unlikely to need the knife for any genuine reason, as it is unlikely they are a joiner or carpet fitter. A joiner in his work clothes is likely to have good reason for carrying one and is therefore unlikely to be arrested.
Why does one need "a good reason" to have any sort of sharp object on their person?

Are you people so prone to stabbing anyone and everyone that you cannot be trusted with box-cutters, pencil-sharpeners, or screwdrivers? Is everyone in the UK bloodthirsty savages who cannot control themselves when they get ahold of anything that they could potentially jab into another human being?

You and your ilk speak of people who have boxcutters and swiss army knives on their persons as if they were walking around with AR15s and DEagles.

You understand that there uses for sharp objects other than stabbing people, yes?

You understand that self-defense is a good thing, right?

You realize that someone having a sharp object on their person doesn't mean they intend to stab someone, right?

If you don't care for your government, why are you defending their dumb decisions, and why are suckingvtheir cock and letting them strip your rights away?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Can I have a swiss army knife for example? They're pretty useful but I could definitely kill someone with it.

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
Some years back I had a visit from the local bizzies who came to check on my arsenal of guns.

Turns out that one of my young uns had been telling their friends at school about some of the Master Replicas tat that I own. A brain-dead robot fuckwit of a teacher must have overheard the word ‘guns’ and instantly reported the conversation to the proper authorities.

That’s right. I had coppers stood in my actual house making sure I couldn’t go out on a murder spree with Han Solos blaster and Boba Fetts rifle.

To be fair to the plods, we all had a bit of a laff after I assured them they were quite safe as long as their name wasn’t Greedo.

They came. They saw. They fucked off.

True story.

Last edited:

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
@Whitesnake I'm honestly curious:

Where does one carry a knife on one's body in everyday situations?

At what point does one reach for the knife and how?

If I was up against 2 men or a man with a knife, how would me having a knife help in any logical way?

Is carrying a knife the best direction to live a life?

I have my own answers to these questions, but if you would have the decency to answer fairly so I can learn.

I have been having sleepless nights recently worrying about how I would deal with a burglary if it ever happened, also because I have 2 young children.

Honest questions.

My answers would be I can't carry a knife because of my job (maybe could keep one in the car), I try to avoid dangerous situations, and my aim in life is to follow the Buddhist path (holding a lion's compassion instead of a knife handle). You might scoff at my answers, and personally guns probably negate my first and last question (there are more effective and threatening), but the topic is knives.

Don't just say "get bent".

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
I have been having sleepless nights recently worrying about how I would deal with a burglary if it ever happened, also because I have 2 young children.

Get bent :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I almost got burgled once. Left the small window open and some little band of scrotes put their hand in and opened the blinds. I think they were fishing for car keys really but I just saw red, grabbed my tonfa's as below and ran out into the street. They scarpered pretty fast, but I launched one of them at the slowest one at the back and it cracked off the back of their head. He like sort of stumbled but carried on. There was blood on the handle of the wood so it had done some damage.

Luckily a neighbour had already called the police but when they arrived they weren't impressed and basically told me had the lad collapsed round the corner with concussion or similar I would be in trouble so yeah......

It's not nice, and you spend the next week or so double checking locks each night and focusing on every little noise outside when you're trying to sleep, paranoid it's someone else loitering or trying to get in.

Reactions: DocONally
Dec 3, 2018
I have a swiss army knife as a keychain. I use it for all sorts of stuff, like opening Amazon packages, cutting strings off shirts, trimming my mustache, use the screwdriver all the time - if you have one, it is all sorts of useful. Probably pull it out twice a day. It’d probably make a poor weapon as a knife, but it allows me to swing my keys around like a morning star...

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Perfect place for my favourite quote from 1984:

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
I almost got burgled once. Left the small window open.
Yeah, I heard that burglars are opportunists. Open windows is apparently number one for that.

Paranoia is fucking real though. Every little fucking sound I'm like "it's really happening" lol I gotta fix that open window in my mind, man.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

...pocket folder knives are commonplace every day carry items in the States.
Absolutely. Every state has their own knife statutes, and in some cases cities within each state.

My state has no critical dimension statute(no length prohibition)unless its applied to concealed and criminal intent statute.

I don't carry a gun, but I always carry a knife of some sort not mainly as protection, but it always surprises me how often I need to use my knife, or razor almost everyday for one thing or another. I almost always have my huskey flip razor on me, or in my car.

Reactions: EviLore

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Yeah, I heard that burglars are opportunists. Open windows is apparently number one for that.

Paranoia is fucking real though. Every little fucking sound I'm like "it's really happening" lol I gotta fix that open window in my mind, man.
I know I've read somewhere that burglars go for two things first;

1.)Bathroom window. Most people dont realize it, but bathroom windows are left open, or unlocked more then any other window and burglars check it first.

2.)Unclosed window shades. Burglars are drawn to open windows becuase why burgle a house if you dont know what's in it, when the neighbors shades are wide open and you can see their 70' Oled.

Inside attached garage doors are easy pickings as well.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Prevention is the best thing. After that? Honestly? Instant ring-the-pigs alarm and a baseball bat, locked doors and cameras. I'm not massively pro-gun for civvies (though I'm not retarded and understand that America is built on them and that won't change) but it's the main instance where I'd love to be able to have a fucking pistol under the bed. I love reading stories of civs owning thieves in their homes.

Also, to everyone: do not tell anyone you're going on holiday on any social media. Instant loss of insurance that people overlook. Friend had everything stolen and didn't get a penny because of it.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I honestly cannot imagine not being able to protect yourself in your own home. I feel bad for people who cant. Someone comes into my home in the middle of the night and its kill or be killed for me.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
This video gives you an idea of what inner-city London youths are like:

It's easy to see why so many have already left or plan to leave London.
Foul-mouthed, self-absorbed and sexualised from a young age. You can only imagine what these young people will be like when they are adults.
It doesn't look good for London's future.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006

...pocket folder knives are commonplace every day carry items in the States.
Especially in the South. Everyone has a pocket knife, regardless of rules to the contrary. Every industrial plant I have worked at bans them (as tools) and tries to get people to use guarded blades (box cutters that retract after cutting, etc ), but no one ever does.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
I honestly cannot imagine not being able to protect yourself in your own home. I feel bad for people who cant. Someone comes into my home in the middle of the night and its kill or be killed for me.
Aren't you still allowed to own a breach loading .22 or a single round shotgun in the UK in your home? Or is that only in the country basically.

I'm really curious about this, also how does it apply for the right of Protestants to bear arms from the English Bill of Rights?

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018

If I was up against 2 men or a man with a knife, how would me having a knife help in any logical way?

I have my own answers to these questions, but if you would have the decency to answer fairly so I can learn.

Honest questions.

My answers would be I can't carry a knife because of my job (maybe could keep one in the car), I try to avoid dangerous situations, and my aim in life is to follow the Buddhist path (holding a lion's compassion instead of a knife handle). You might scoff at my answers, and personally guns probably negate my first and last question (there are more effective and threatening), but the topic is knives.

You can carry a knife literally anywhere. In your pants pockets (thus, pocket knife), in your jacket pockets, in a backpack or purse, on your belt if the knife has the little clip thing, you can get things to strap it to your calf or boot, so on.

Whenever they need to cut something. You’re telling me you’ve never had a reason to cut something outside of your home? Cut the packaging off something you just bought, prying something open, first aid, field dressing (if you’re hunter or fisher), etc.

Primarily as a deterrant. If you’re up against two guys they each know one of ‘em is gonna get stabbed when they approach. Against a guy with a knife he may think twice once he realizes you’re not unarmed. If they continue approaching you can use the knife to, y’know, kill them.

I don’t know what that third question is asking. Every man I know generally carries some sort of small knife on them, but I also live in a redneck of the US so maybe that’s just a local cultual thing.

For home-defense I’d recommend a gun, but if you’re a UK cuck then that’s probably not a option. I know a family that keeps an actual sword next to their bed. During a bit of a rough time in my life I kept a metal baseball bat under the couch I was sleeping on. Right now I have a few big-ass hunting knifes in my room that I got as gifts from my dad. I’m thankful to have never had to use these things on another person, but I’m glad I’ve had them in case I needed to.

I too try to avoid dangerous situations. But often the most dangerous situations are unexpected and unavoidable. If and when that will happen, I would like to have a fighting chance. I don’t know buddhist teachings very well, but if his advice for altercations is to lay down and submit, then Buddha was a little bitch.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Especially in the South. Everyone has a pocket knife, regardless of rules to the contrary. Every industrial plant I have worked at bans them (as tools) and tries to get people to use guarded blades (box cutters that retract after cutting, etc ), but no one ever does.
There's actually a bill in Texas legislature that looks like it might get passed which will remove the ban on brass knuckles. That has even me looking like

I'm perfectly okay with people having pocket knives and semi okay with licensed conceal carry. Brass knuckles are a maiming tool and fuck people up, I'll take someone getting poked or cut by someone with a knife any day of the week.

At least against someone with a knife I have the chance to come out with only some cuts, if someone connects to your head with brass knuckles your fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkeed. Plus using a knife in a fight at least takes some skill.

Reactions: monegames

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
There's actually a bill in Texas legislature that looks like it might get passed which will remove the ban on brass knuckles. That has even me looking like

I'm perfectly okay with people having pocket knives and semi okay with licensed conceal carry. Brass knuckles are a maiming tool and fuck people up, I'll take someone getting poked or cut by someone with a knife any day of the week.

At least against someone with a knife I have the chance to come out with only some cuts, if someone connects to your head with brass knuckles your fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkeed. Plus using a knife in a fight at least takes some skill.
If Knucklebusters are banned people are just going to go down to Home Depot and buy:

1x D-cell battery
3x 4-inch nails

Figure out a way to combine them all and now you are wolverine.

Last edited:

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde

In my pocket or belt loop?

I bought a USB charger when I was traveling and I cut the blister pack with my knife.
I picked up a package from the PO and opened it with my knife.
I cut some zip ties

and a shit load of other instances I don't even recall.

It increases your odds of surviving an encounter without serious injury or death. Rattlesnakes have rattles. Even if they don't win all the time that rattle gives you pause to think.. do you feel lucky? Criminals are rational and weight risk vs rewards. They're like any predatory animal you see on the Discovery channel and they prefer easy marks. It's well known in criminal psychology.

Do you wear a seat belt with airbags? If so then why? Most modern cars have crumple zones, front airbags, side impact airbags, curtain airbags, active head restrains (aka you headrest), 3-point seat belts, collapsible steering columns. All in a bid to increase your chances of survival in the event of a collision.

Straight from the mouth of a rapist:

"Like, if they had a dog, then forget it. Even a small one makes too much noise. If I saw a pair of construction boots, for example, out on the porch or on the landing, I walked right on by. In fact, I think if women who live alone would put a pair of old construction boots—or something that makes it look like a physically fit manly-type of guy lives with them—out in front of their door, most rapists or even burglars wouldn't even think about trying to get into their home."
Criminals aren't crazy.

Is getting preyed upon for being an easy mark a better choice? Guess that's an individual choice. If you want to lay down and die then more power to you brother.

You have the freedom to choose how you take care of your business. Would you'd prefer to be disadvantaged when confronted with criminally minded people who might come in numbers? That's fine, me I'd take any advantages I can get.

Honest questions.

.45 long-slide with laser sighting, Uzi 9mm, 12-gauge auto-loader. Any of those would be ideal for home defense.

You're crazy if you'd prefer getting sliced up.

Last edited:

Porcile

Oct 23, 2012
Crushing victory for the constabulary with that raid of Homebase right there. #safeatlast

Glad I left that shitty country three years ago. Dreading the day I may have to go back there though.

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
You can carry a knife literally anywhere. In your pants pockets (thus, pocket knife), in your jacket pockets, in a backpack or purse, on your belt if the knife has the little clip thing, you can get things to strap it to your calf or boot, so on.

Whenever they need to cut something. You’re telling me you’ve never had a reason to cut something outside of your home? Cut the packaging off something you just bought, prying something open, first aid, field dressing (if you’re hunter or fisher), etc.

Primarily as a deterrant. If you’re up against two guys they each know one of ‘em is gonna get stabbed when they approach. Against a guy with a knife he may think twice once he realizes you’re not unarmed. If they continue approaching you can use the knife to, y’know, kill them.

I don’t know what that third question is asking. Every man I know generally carries some sort of small knife on them, but I also live in a redneck of the US so maybe that’s just a local cultual thing.

For home-defense I’d recommend a gun, but if you’re a UK cuck then that’s probably not a option. I know a family that keeps an actual sword next to their bed. During a bit of a rough time in my life I kept a metal baseball bat under the couch I was sleeping on. Right now I have a few big-ass hunting knifes in my room that I got as gifts from my dad. I’m thankful to have never had to use these things on another person, but I’m glad I’ve had them in case I needed to.

I too try to avoid dangerous situations. But often the most dangerous situations are unexpected and unavoidable. If and when that will happen, I would like to have a fighting chance. I don’t know buddhist teachings very well, but if his advice for altercations is to lay down and submit, then Buddha was a little bitch.
Cool thanks. Was honestly interested. I need to think harder about home security for sure. Not going to talk about that last sentence though, but thanks.

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
In my pocket or belt loop?

I bought a USB charger when I was traveling and I cut the blister pack with my knife.
I picked up a package from the PO and opened it with my knife.
I cut some zip ties

and a shit load of other instances I don't even recall.

It increases your odds of surviving an encounter without serious injury or death. Rattlesnakes have rattles. Even if they don't win all the time that rattle gives you pause to think.. do you feel lucky? Criminals are rational and weight risk vs rewards. They're like any predatory animal you see on the Discovery channel and they prefer easy marks. It's well known in criminal psychology.

Do you wear a seat belt with airbags? If so then why? Most modern cars have crumple zones, front airbags, side impact airbags, curtain airbags, active head restrains (aka you headrest), 3-point seat belts, collapsible steering columns. All in a bid to increase your chances of survival in the event of a collision.

Straight from the mouth of a rapist:

Criminals aren't crazy.

Is getting preyed upon for being an easy mark a better choice? Guess that's an individual choice. If you want to lay down and die then more power to you brother.

You have the freedom to choose how you take care of your business. Would you'd prefer to be disadvantaged when confronted with criminally minded people who might come in numbers? That's fine, me I'd take any advantages I can get.

.45 long-slide with laser sighting, Uzi 9mm, 12-gauge auto-loader. Any of those would be ideal for home defense.

You're crazy if you'd prefer getting sliced up.

Wow great post thanks. Reading criminal psychology is fascinating. My 2nd question about when and how to reach for your knife was in relation to a stand off. If you get your knife out too early you might escalate matters, too late is a problem, etc

BraveOne

Feb 2, 2017
Make sure to either reply or @ me next time big boy, replying to my comment indirectly makes you look petty.

Anyway, banning boxcutters:

UK police conducting a search of private property without warrant:

You can go ahead and pretend this isn’t happening, but it is. They’re flaunting it, for fuck’s sake.
I see we have a brave supporter of carrying weapons on the street to kill people

BraveOne

Feb 2, 2017
Yes they do, after they banned guns knife crime increased, funny how that works.

It's almost as if violent crime is the problem here.
Want to show me proof of people being arrested for just buying a knife from the stores ?

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
Wow great post thanks. Reading criminal psychology is fascinating. My 2nd question about when and how to reach for your knife was in relation to a stand off. If you get your knife out too early you might escalate matters, too late is a problem, etc

jep_uk

Nov 5, 2014
Warrington, England
Why does one need "a good reason" to have any sort of sharp object on their person?

Are you people so prone to stabbing anyone and everyone that you cannot be trusted with box-cutters, pencil-sharpeners, or screwdrivers? Is everyone in the UK bloodthirsty savages who cannot control themselves when they get ahold of anything that they could potentially jab into another human being?
No we are not so prone to stabbing anyone, we can be trusted with said items, hence why they are not banned. There are elements here who do embrace the knife culture, these are primarily gangs and other wasters who intend to use them for violence. Turning it around are Americans so bloodthirtsy that they cant help shooting each other as soon as they get a gun?

You and your ilk speak of people who have boxcutters and swiss army knives on their persons as if they were walking around with AR15s and DEagles.
Please expand on "you and your ilk"?

We do not speak of people who carry boxcutters and swiss army knives for legitimate reasons as if they are walking round with guns; this is your perception. We do talk of gang members and other wasters carrying knives (of any sort) as being a problem, given the number of deaths in London.

You understand that there uses for sharp objects other than stabbing people, yes?

You understand that self-defense is a good thing, right?
Yes and yes. You are just being facetious now. Of course sharp objects have other uses as opposed to stabbing people. I have not argued otherwise.

You realize that someone having a sharp object on their person doesn't mean they intend to stab someone, right?
Yes. Again, I have mentioned that a worker who needs their knife for their day to day work will not get arrested for possession. Likewise, people who carry utility knifes, e.g. swiss army knifes, for general purposes are unlikely to get arrested unless they have shown intent for violence or illegal activity.

If you don't care for your government, why are you defending their dumb decisions, and why are suckingvtheir cock and letting them strip your rights away?
I do not agree with the nanny state we are becoming, with the constant monitoring and the erosion of some of our freedoms. We do have protests against legislation and laws that we do not like, but unfortunately some of these can get passed against our wishes, just like in the US.

With regards to the topic of knives, there is a problem with knife crime in this country and it does need addressing. What the best solution is, I do not know. But I am fine with the law as it is, the majority of normal decent people either do not need to carry a knife and those that do have reason for carrying (and the knife they carry is permitted within the law), will have nothing to worry about.

• Thoughtful

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
But I am fine with the law as it is, the majority of normal decent people either do not need to carry a knife and those that do have reason for carrying (and the knife they carry is permitted within the law), will have nothing to worry about.
I agree. It's not the knife it's the person. But at the same time, UK society generally has a negative view of knife carriers outside of work purposes. The Americans in this thread probably don't have this cultural appreciation just like we laugh at their gun culture. It has nothing to do with personal freedoms, just like after an American school shooting guns are not banned in the name of freedom. It's on the person, their quality of character. I could probably trust and respect the Americans in this thread who carry knives not to stab me. It's the psychos who are the problem, not the police or those who don't carry.

Which is why I take exception to comparing Orwellian posters on trains to knife welding thugs on trains.

If @EviLore has traveled so much as he often reports, he should know that anyone carrying a knife in public is part of the problem. I thought travel was meant to broaden the mind? If you went around the world and all you remember is knives, then wtf? Britain still can be a beacon of freedoms for the West.

Choosing not to carry a ninja weapon in public in the name of self defense should be respected not mocked. We are not cucks looking to lay down our lives at the hands of a 17yo yob, but expect a fair fight.

Yes, being in an unwanted knife fight is scary, but it's not something to think about 24/7. Having said that, I probably will pick up a decent Swiss AK (for the car lol).

But I get the fact that it's a joke thread, so peace.

Edit: I admit I'm off base with my martial arts comments BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: jep_uk

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
No we are not so prone to stabbing anyone, we can be trusted with said items, hence why they are not banned. There are elements here who do embrace the knife culture, these are primarily gangs and other wasters who intend to use them for violence. Turning it around are Americans so bloodthirtsy that they cant help shooting each other as soon as they get a gun?

Please expand on "you and your ilk"?

We do not speak of people who carry boxcutters and swiss army knives for legitimate reasons as if they are walking round with guns; this is your perception. We do talk of gang members and other wasters carrying knives (of any sort) as being a problem, given the number of deaths in London.

Yes and yes. You are just being facetious now. Of course sharp objects have other uses as opposed to stabbing people. I have not argued otherwise.

Yes. Again, I have mentioned that a worker who needs their knife for their day to day work will not get arrested for possession. Likewise, people who carry utility knifes, e.g. swiss army knifes, for general purposes are unlikely to get arrested unless they have shown intent for violence or illegal activity.

I do not agree with the nanny state we are becoming, with the constant monitoring and the erosion of some of our freedoms. We do have protests against legislation and laws that we do not like, but unfortunately some of these can get passed against our wishes, just like in the US.

With regards to the topic of knives, there is a problem with knife crime in this country and it does need addressing. What the best solution is, I do not know. But I am fine with the law as it is, the majority of normal decent people either do not need to carry a knife and those that do have reason for carrying (and the knife they carry is permitted within the law), will have nothing to worry about.
Since it is only a problem when "some" people carry knives. Why is that not encoded in the law?
Or you prefer to have laws interpreted differently on the person/suspect depending on the officer involved?

Where does the law state that handymen are ok to carry knives? You just make shit up and are hoping that officers will
treat differently people differently and use their own discretion when to uphold the law or when to look the other way.
Great plan. /s

I have another idea, instead of just using the officers feelings at the moment and his prejudices, why not make the law act differently on skin color?
If people of skin color X are not knifing people that often, let them keep their knives on them.
But go extra double hard on people with skin color Y who are over represented in knife attacks?

Sounds fucking awesome, right? /s

(Again, if you have laws that are selectively enforced based on attributes on the person, skin color, professionj, age, that is a shit law and anyone supporting this would be an idiot.
If you defend these laws by claiming they are ok because they will always be benevolently enforced, then you are a double idiot.)

Last edited:
Reactions: slugbahr

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2018
I agree. It's not the knife it's the person. But at the same time, UK society generally has a negative view of knife carriers outside of work purposes. The Americans in this thread probably don't have this cultural appreciation just like we laugh at their gun culture. It has nothing to do with personal freedoms, just like after an American school shooting guns are not banned in the name of freedom. It's on the person, their quality of character. I could probably trust and respect the Americans in this thread who carry knives not to stab me. It's the psychos who are the problem, not the police or those who don't carry.
How old are you and what did your laws regarding knifes used to be? I only ask your age to understand how much you remember about what has or hasn't changed. I'm admittedly not aware of the history of this sort of thing.

Here we literally give knifes to children.

As I see it, let people legally carry weapons, and people can defend themselves with weapons. Make it illegal to carry weapons, and only criminals will have weapons in the first place. People can do real damage with their fists. Would you support a law that made it a serious crime to ever punch someone, even if you were cornered and being attacked? If not, what do you feel is the difference logically?

Defend yourself with fists? You better be bigger and stronger, or know how to fight well, and they better not be armed.

Defend yourself with a knife? You better be bigger, or they don't have one too. If you both have a knife, it's a bad idea to start that fight. If they have a gun, you're screwed. If only they have a knife, you're screwed.

Defend yourself with a gun? Can be accomplished by anyone regardless of size or strength. Beats a physical attack, beats a knife, beats a gun if not already being aimed, and doesn't need to be fired.

I used to know a guy who lived on a farm way out in the country. One day he had a technician of some sort over to his home, and who looked around at vast empty space surrounding the farm. The technician then said, "wow, you're really alone out here. Nobody would hear you scream." The farmer replied, "yeah, that's right," and then opened his coat to reveal the fact he was armed with a gun.

Like so many other examples of this truth, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
How old are you and what did your laws regarding knifes used to be? I only ask your age to understand how much you remember about what has or hasn't changed. I'm admittedly not aware of the history of this sort of thing.
I'm almost 40 and emigrated to the continent 10 years ago, but I grew up in a decent small town in the Southwest of England in the 90s. I previously said in this thread that I can't imagine living in inner city London, and wouldn't dream of living there. In fact, where I live now it is legal to own a gun at home, but many don't.

Reactions: LegendOfKage

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
I don't know why I'm trying so much here: this isn't the hill I'm willing to get knifed on.

I'm all for people owning and carrying weapons, as long as they use them legally. It's not hard, is it?! It's probably sensible to carry, but equally there are reasons to not carry.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Get bent :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I almost got burgled once. Left the small window open and some little band of scrotes put their hand in and opened the blinds. I think they were fishing for car keys really but I just saw red, grabbed my tonfa's as below and ran out into the street. They scarpered pretty fast, but I launched one of them at the slowest one at the back and it cracked off the back of their head. He like sort of stumbled but carried on. There was blood on the handle of the wood so it had done some damage.

Luckily a neighbour had already called the police but when they arrived they weren't impressed and basically told me had the lad collapsed round the corner with concussion or similar I would be in trouble so yeah......
The cops are right (at least morally, legally it will depend on where you are). The use of violence is legitimate for self defense, but you took the risk of badly hurting someone who was already running away. It was a case of violence for retaliation/punishment, not defense.
It's something that's true for violence/weapons in general, it's all about context. Carrying a knife doesn't have the same implication if you're going to a picnic or roaming the streets with a gang.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
I see we have a brave supporter of carrying weapons on the street to kill people
What?

The post you responded wasn't even one where I talked about self-defense or stabbing people.

Do you really think that there is no reason to ever have a boxcutter than to stab someone?

You're arguing with something that was never said. Get a grip.