• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Nanny State | Oi guv, that there's an assault spoon, innit?

Shaqazooloo

Gold Member
Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Damn, UK looks messed up. How did anyone think those posters were a good idea? Really hope Canada doesn't turn into that

Feb 15, 2018
United States
UK gaffer here, I like that EviLore made this thread, the Orwellian posters are great. Much more could be added too. However I don't get the mocking tone about knives. Normal people don't carry knives. Only edgy teens (me carrying a Swiss Army knife when I was 14) and actual dodgy twats who want to knife someone. There's nothing wrong with controlling carrying knives.
For protection duh! You deserve the uk mate

• LOL
Reactions: CyberPanda

TriSuit666

Neo Member
Jul 2, 2018

The implicit suggestion is that it's fine to harass non-protected classes of citizens in Nottingham.
The flaw in your plan is that the arrow on the Robin Hood statue was stolen a long time ago (true story), also the Castle is closed on Mondays.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
I think everything going on with Sargon is pretty indicative of the current declined state of Britain.

I cannot stand him and think everything that is happening now to douse his dopamine-driven hubris is hilarious, but there is a criminal investigation into him over a rape joke about needing a lot of alcohol to surprise sex some feminist MP who had laughed at the concept of helping abused males. Their companies are openly joking about assaulting him. The police are doing nothing to police actual assaults against him and others (imagine if someone threw horse shit at Sadiq Kahn, let alone pig shit or blood). Their media is turning some snobby YouTuber into their Emmanuel Goldstein. It's insane.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

somerset

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
On a UK bargain hunting site, if a brit posts an offer involving kitchen knives or plastic (like nappy bags), british dribblers vote the offer down for daring to 'promote' knives or plastic. This is how badly social engineering effects the british dumb-dumbs.

The mainstream press (the vile BBC, the vile Guardian etc) love rubbing the noses of brits in this sh-t. Since brits are not yanks, we don't all pull the same way just because of a well co-ordinated press campaign - but the anger felt by the antis works just as well, since *despair* is also a tool of satan.

So the old "I can't believe how mad things have gotten" is a more common response to stories like this- and that is considered a victory by the fabians. For the fabians no longer fear any sort of backlash which would challenge their power base.

Think of it like how a farmer in the new year must break up the impacted soil. That's what Blair's fabians do to the british. Smash the ties that bind amongst the ordinary people. Sow despair, confusion and hopelessness to make the 'soil' more fertile for their satanic seeds.

Yanks screaming for war on Iran, brits giving in to Orwellian horrors and total loss of freedoms. The fabians/blairites/alt-left have us exactly where they want us. American bloodlust and honourless treaty breaking. British spinelessness and defeatism.

This isn't a joke and this isn't a game. What is happening in Britain and the USA is part of a very well considered plan- the final stage of which is World War. Bloodlust to make the yanks start it. Spinelessness to ensure brits will not act to prevent it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
On a UK bargain hunting site, if a brit posts an offer involving kitchen knives or plastic (like nappy bags), british dribblers vote the offer down for daring to 'promote' knives or plastic. This is how badly social engineering effects the british dumb-dumbs.

The mainstream press (the vile BBC, the vile Guardian etc) love rubbing the noses of brits in this sh-t. Since brits are not yanks, we don't all pull the same way just because of a well co-ordinated press campaign - but the anger felt by the antis works just as well, since *despair* is also a tool of satan.

So the old "I can't believe how mad things have gotten" is a more common response to stories like this- and that is considered a victory by the fabians. For the fabians no longer fear any sort of backlash which would challenge their power base.

Think of it like how a farmer in the new year must break up the impacted soil. That's what Blair's fabians do to the british. Smash the ties that bind amongst the ordinary people. Sow despair, confusion and hopelessness to make the 'soil' more fertile for their satanic seeds.

Yanks screaming for war on Iran, brits giving in to Orwellian horrors and total loss of freedoms. The fabians/blairites/alt-left have us exactly where they want us. American bloodlust and honourless treaty breaking. British spinelessness and defeatism.

This isn't a joke and this isn't a game. What is happening in Britain and the USA is part of a very well considered plan- the final stage of which is World War. Bloodlust to make the yanks start it. Spinelessness to ensure brits will not act to prevent it.
You are a strong believer in identity politics, I see. I know that crystal ball is addicting, but these prophetic platitudes have been shouted from the rooftops before.

Reactions: Hayfield

CyberPanda

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Can't not wait for a 'sticks and stones' list in a few years.
Lol. They will probably make it illegal to throw flowers, grass or leaves at people too. And if a fan blows to hard on a woman, it’ll be considered sexual harassment.

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
Condolences to all our UK gaffers suffering through this nonsense first-hand. This thread is a repository for Orwellian Nightmare Nanny State initiatives in the UK.

Jesus fucking Christ.

It all makes sense now — the founding fathers of the US and authors of the constitution hit the nail on the head 250+ years ago.

Wow!

Reactions: CyberPanda

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
These posters have been around London over the last year:

And here's a story about a fatal stabbing that happened last summer...right next to one of these posters:

CyberPanda

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

And here's a story about a fatal stabbing that happened last summer...right next to one of these posters:

The irony is crazy.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2018

This is so absurd. Paul Hogan must be spinning in his grave.

• LOL
Reactions: Teletraan1

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
"A court will decide if you've got a good reason..."

That seems horrifying. Can you imagine that? Arrested not because police believe you have committed a crime, but because you may have done something that may be a crime?

I realize this difference is subtle, but the implications are vast. Like, the courts aren't determining whether you are guilty of a specified crime, but effectively whether you're 'qualified' to commit said crime legally or not. Using criteria of their own choosing that you are not fully privy to.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

That seems horrifying. Can you imagine that? Arrested not because police believe you have committed a crime, but because you may have done something that may be a crime?

I realize this difference is subtle, but the implications are vast. Like, the courts aren't determining whether you are guilty of a specified crime, but effectively whether you're 'qualified' to commit said crime legally or not. Using criteria of their own choosing that you are not fully privy to.
This right here. Absolutely terrifying for anyone who understands what actual freedom is apparently.

Never, ever give up liberty for safety as dangerous situations are inherently liberating.

Can anyone put a finger on when exactly this started happening? Like what was the impetus that caused this transformation into almost a tyranny of thought? A native would better understand the cause and beginning of all of this.

Reactions: autoduelist

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

Right? It's certainly livable in these places, from what I've experienced, but the law oriented in this manner will always be fundamentally foreign to me as an American.

Dec 3, 2018
They can have my cutlery when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people. With knives.

Spoon control isn't about spoons. It's about control.

64,987,284 kitchen utensils didn't kill someone yesterday.

If knives cause stabbings, then matches cause arson.

I'd rather have a bat'leth I don't need, than need a bat'leth I don't have.

Assault is a behavior, not a bicycle wheel.

A lethal Glee-brand pencil sharpener in hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Reactions: slugbahr

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
These messages

What negative effect would she have? The most immediate possible effect is going to be being searched and arrested in the UK nanny state.

Why would carrying a knife nearly cost his life?

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Yes banning scissors and kitchen knifes.

That's how you'll get rid of violent crime.
Jesus fucking Christ, this thread.

They are not bannings, these are confiscations in the street. You cannot buy knives in the UK if you are under 18, so these pathetic children are arming themselves with whatever they can get their hands on, and trying to kill each other, because some fucking idiot told them being a gang member is cool.

This is the reality of your "HAR HAR nanny state" Anything metal and pointy can be used as a weapon, it's almost as if none of you dolts have ever played Dead Rising.

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ, this thread.

They are not bannings, these are confiscations in the street. You cannot buy knives in the UK if you are under 18, so these pathetic children are arming themselves with whatever they can get their hands on, and trying to kill each other, because some fucking idiot told them being a gang member is cool.

This is the reality of your "HAR HAR nanny state" Anything metal and pointy can be used as a weapon, it's almost as if none of you dolts have ever played Dead Rising.
And I'm telling you that arresting people over the possession of a fucking kitchen utensil isn't going to fix the underlying problem.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
And I'm telling you that arresting people over the possession of a fucking kitchen utensil isn't going to fix the underlying problem.
Fuck the underline problem, that's not for the police to address, there is no reason to carry a fucking knife if you live in Islington, other than if you are up to no good. You're not going to come up against a surprise bear attack, or a life or death need to whittle a fishing spear. What planet do you people live on?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Fuck the underline problem, that's not for the police to address, there is no reason to carry a fucking knife if you live in Islington, other than if you are up to no good. You're not going to come up against a surprise bear attack, or a life or death need to whittle a fishing spear. What planet do you people live on?
LOL yeah everyone who carries a knife is out there planning to kill someone.

You really should change your profile pic btw.

bigedole

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
You're right that the fear of defending oneself from fellow law-abiding citizens is not why people feel the need to defend themselves.

bobone

Oct 31, 2012
USA
I knew UK was bad, but WOW. This really ruined my day to see people suffering under a government that hates its people.

I chat with coworkers everyday about what rifle we are buying or building next; and across the pond people can't even own a pair of pliers or a rusty spatula? WTF

Dec 3, 2018
It sounds like there are people out there attacking others with knives. You might not face a bear, but it doesn’t sound like a little self defense is uncalled for.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
It sounds like there are people out there attacking others with knives. You might not face a bear, but it doesn’t sound like a little self defense is uncalled for.
In this country it is illegal to carry a knife without a lawful reason. If self defense was a lawful reason then every lunatic under sun would be tooled up, which would render our police somewhat at a disadvantage. Trust me, the idea of being able to legally own a gun is as bat-shit crazy to me as not being able to carry a knife seems to you. Here we settle things with our fists. It's only the wannabe gangstars that use knives. And to be honest they are knocking each other off like it's their national past time, so fuck 'em.

Dec 3, 2018
In this country it is illegal to carry a knife without a lawful reason. If self defense was a lawful reason then every lunatic under sun would be tooled up, which would render our police somewhat at a disadvantage.
Is self defense not lawful in the UK? Like, if someone attacks you and you defend yourself, are you going to be arrested? Because in the US, self defense is a lawful use of force in most cases.

Trust me, the idea of being able to legally own a gun is as bat-shit crazy to me as not being able to carry a knife seems to you.
I don't know. It seems like knives would be incredibly easy to conceal, so the only way to know if someone has a knife is if either he uses it or shows it in the presence of others, or he is searched. And I think the idea of searching people without cause to be a worse offense than carrying a knife. I guess the UK doesn't have anything like the 4th amendment, making unlawful search and seizures unconstitutional. Well, I guess they wouldn't. That's kind of why we left.

I mean, I carry a pocket knife with me everywhere. It is INCREDIBLY useful. When you become a dad, they give you a little kit with a Swiss army knife, cargo shorts, and a book of terrible puns. Each one of those will save the day at least once in the first five years of your kid's life. But if I tried to use it against another person, I'm more likely to cause the knife to fold up on my fingers.

Here we settle things with our fists. It's only the wannabe gangstars that use knives. And to be honest they are knocking each other off like it's their national past time, so fuck 'em.
You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?

Reactions: Torrent of Pork

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Is self defense not lawful in the UK? Like, if someone attacks you and you defend yourself, are you going to be arrested? Because in the US, self defense is a lawful use of force in most cases.
Yes, but carrying weapons is still illegal and if you kill someone with a deadly weapon, outside of your home, then you will probably come a cropper.

Reactions: BraveOne
Dec 3, 2018
Yes, but carrying weapons is still illegal and if you kill someone with a deadly weapon, outside of your home, then you will probably come a cropper.
What if you don't kill them? What if you just stab them, like, a little? A light maiming, a most. Like, let's say someone is coming at you with a knife. You grab a beer bottle and smash it against his head. He has to go to the hospital. 13 stitches, the unlucky bastard. Could've been worse though. However, you are not stabbed and dead, which is a really positive outcome for you.

A) Does the beer bottle count as a deadly weapon?

B) Will you be arrested for defending yourself with potentially deadly force?

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
What if you don't kill them? What if you just stab them, like, a little? A light maiming, a most. Like, let's say someone is coming at you with a knife. You grab a beer bottle and smash it against his head. He has to go to the hospital. 13 stitches, the unlucky bastard. Could've been worse though. However, you are not stabbed and dead, which is a really positive outcome for you.

A) Does the beer bottle count as a deadly weapon?

B) Will you be arrested for defending yourself with potentially deadly force?
A) Yes - there's a famous case of murder by beer bottle

B) This is a grey area, defending yourself = manslaughter, which is easy enough to prove with witnesses or either present or character. - so beer bottle over a knifeman, would probably be self defense. Most cases are settled on common sense.

If you disarmed a knife-man and pinned his leg to a tree with his own knife until the cops came, then you'll probably be fine. I asked a copper what are my options if I catch a home intruder, as we were burgled in our sleep, he said although the stated law is against you, it is very rarely enforced, and told me of an incident the week prior, where 2 intruders broke into a local house and the owner hit them with a baseball bat, and one of them died at the scene, the homeowner was arrested and let go within a few hours and nothing more came of it. I also asked about burglar traps, he said "it's true, they are illegal, but never in once has a burglar come forward after being injured by a trap" - with that he gave me a wink and off he went.

Moral of the story with most of the stuff you read, like the pensioner arrested after killing a burglar earlier in the thread, is just to sell papers by outrage, he wasn't prosecuted.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
In this country it is illegal to carry a knife without a lawful reason. If self defense was a lawful reason then every lunatic under sun would be tooled up, which would render our police somewhat at a disadvantage. Trust me, the idea of being able to legally own a gun is as bat-shit crazy to me as not being able to carry a knife seems to you. Here we settle things with our fists. It's only the wannabe gangstars that use knives. And to be honest they are knocking each other off like it's their national past time, so fuck 'em.
OI, YOU GOTTA LOICENSE FOR THEM THREATENING HAND FORMATIONS MATE

Also, quick question, have these retarded laws actually solved knife crime?

Or have they just taken rights away from harmless civilians?

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
OI, YOU GOTTA LOICENSE FOR THEM THREATENING HAND FORMATIONS MATE

Also, quick question, have these retarded laws actually solved knife crime?

Or have they just taken rights away from harmless civilians?
It's always been illegal to carry a knife unless it's ceremonial or for work, and in both cases, being obvious. We don't believe in weapons here, that's by the police regulars do not carry guns,