• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Nanny State | Oi guv, that there's an assault spoon, innit?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
So, there are at least two classes of people:

1.) Those who plan and commit crimes and are willing to use weapons to do so, no matter what the possible sanctions are.
2.) Those who would only ever use a weapon in self defence, to defend against the threat of a physical assault

But isn't there a third group?

3.) Those that carry a weapon to defend themselves, but will instigate violence against those that they feel threatened by.

Do violent confrontations only occur when hardened criminals are involved?
Wouldn't class 3 be part of class 1?

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
Wouldn't class 3 be part of class 1?
No because the people in class 3 don't plan to commit any crime. They just get involved in a confrontation and use the weapon they have to hand in retaliation, in the heat of the moment.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
No because the people in class 3 don't plan to commit any crime. They just get involved in a confrontation and use the weapon they have to hand in retaliation, in the heat of the moment.
You’re basically making a murder vs. manslaughter argument that isn’t really relevant. Both are illegal.

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
You’re basically making a murder vs. manslaughter argument that isn’t really relevant. Both are illegal.
OSC's argument is that "criminals" don't respect the laws anyway, so any ban on carrying weapons won't achieve anything. But my point is that this fails to distinguish between career criminals and those that may commit criminal acts (eg. manslaughter) given specific provocation. In the second group there may be some that would not carry weapons if the legal and/or social sanctions were sufficiently great.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
So, there are at least two classes of people:

1.) Those who plan and commit crimes and are willing to use weapons to do so, no matter what the possible sanctions are.
2.) Those who would only ever use a weapon in self defence, to defend against the threat of a physical assault

But isn't there a third group?

3.) Those that carry a weapon to defend themselves, but will instigate violence against those that they feel threatened by.

Do violent confrontations only occur when hardened criminals are involved?
There are exceptions. I've not looked at statistics, but I would imagine criminal knife violence is far more common than accidental self defense knife violence.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Jul 9, 2018
If you have a knife, you’ll be arrested. If you’ve already been the victims of knife violence, we will give you knives instead of protecting you from your abuser.

Then again, I suppose repeat victims are thick enough skin that this is a solution?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
If you have a knife, you’ll be arrested. If you’ve already been the victims of knife violence, we will give you knives instead of protecting you from your abuser.

Then again, I suppose repeat victims are thick enough skin that this is a solution?
What in the world is with those knife designs? Even beyond the blunted tips, those look like discount kitchen utensils, not self-defense weapons.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Slash Slash not pokey pokey!

Reactions: Jroderton

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
That place sounds terrible and these photos are depressing.

Why make your citizens so defenseless against the obvious crime problem?

Strong offense or retaliation capability is a great deterrent for crime.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Jul 9, 2018
Slashy slashy... pokey pokey...

Fine by me... I studied Sabre as well as Epee.

Right of way apply?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
When have the British ever used these measures for benevolent reasons?

Similar enforcements can be found all throughout the territories of the former British Empire.

But now that you've turned the same knife against yourselves, I guess it's okay?

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
What in the world is with those knife designs? Even beyond the blunted tips, those look like discount kitchen utensils, not self-defense weapons.
Yes, they look like (cheap) kitchen utensils because they are.
They are not for self-defence. they are to replace all other kitchen knives in your house so that there is no weapon.
Because if there is no pointy-tip knives in the kitchen, then domestic violence can not happen.

I.e. throw away all your current kitchen knives and replace them with these instead. Because, in the kitchen, when you cook, there is never a situation where you may need/use the point of a kitchen knife.

Said it before. A mercy-nuke campaign over brittain is the only solution.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Whitesnake

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
They are not for self-defence. they are to replace all other kitchen knives in your house so that there is no weapon.
Because if there is no pointy-tip knives in the kitchen, then domestic violence can not happen.

I.e. throw away all your current kitchen knives and replace them with these instead. Because, in the kitchen, when you cook, there is never a situation where you may need/use the point of a kitchen knife.

Oh, yeah, I totally misread the situation, because it's an insane premise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Slash a bitch, don't stick a bitch is what they are saying. 🤡 :messenger_ok:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

This...this is amazing.

I'm sure they are ecstatic the government has been so generous in their protection scheme.

As an American the absurdity of this is amusing as hell.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Popped in to remind folks that it's not all bad. Went for a nice long walk up in the Yorkshire dales last weekend, even without the sunshine it was really lovely. Had plenty of good afternoons from fellow walkers, finished on a crisp pint in a pub with a local band playing. Remember, most of England is great outside of London and our (lack of) government.

Now then, back to it, everyone.

OI GUVNA WOT IF YA TELLY WAS A DOG

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
knives can be sharpened right, someone gruntled me this once

back when i was wandering the savanna and steppes

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
Popped in to remind folks that it's not all bad. Went for a nice long walk up in the Yorkshire dales last weekend, even without the sunshine it was really lovely. Had plenty of good afternoons from fellow walkers, finished on a crisp pint in a pub with a local band playing. Remember, most of England is great outside of London and our (lack of) government.

Now then, back to it, everyone.

OI GUVNA WOT IF YA TELLY WAS A DOG
Ahhhh Yorkshire Dales. On my doorstep :)

• Love
Reactions: AV