• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Nintendo Switch sales currently above XB1 for the year, but way below PS4

EmiPrime

The crazy thing about this is that they're almost giving away the XB1S here in the U.K. I've seen bundles recently when if you take into account the current price of the bundled games you're getting the console for as little as £80. Even crazier is the fact it can play 4k Blu Ray. I would have thought it would be selling a bit on that alone.

I am still yet to see 4K Blu-rays outside of the larger supermarkets or stuffed among the 3D Blu-rays at HMVs and there's never more than a couple at CEX. Very few people want to pay 2-3x more for a 4K Blu-ray and those that do are more likely to prefer a dedicated player.

Much appreciated, thank you.

Have spied some references to handheld sales breaking 12 million. Ie, DS + PSP

The 10.7 for January was still 15 months before the 3ds launched it doing another 1.3m shouldnt have been too hard at all

Edit - thanks Celine, knew i wasnt imagining it

SgtCobra

A decent and affordable way to play FIFA is about all it takes to crack the UK market.
I think you're half joking here but there are several reasons the general market would still prefer the Xbox One and PS4 over the Switch. A robust online system (can't believe I'm saying this about PSN), the blockbuster single player games, multiplayer shooters, flashy graphics etc.

Thorrgal

Xbox one x was announced over a year ago, not surprised at the slow down amongst gaming fwns. Switch is a new console that had a console launch this year. should be beating the ps4 at this point

That excuse is pretty lame because the XBox One S will be the best seller by far compared to the X. People who doesn't own a Xbox One at this point is very price sensitive. The majority o X buyers will be uograders, not first timers

Zedark

UK is a juggernaut market so it's applicable here.

Well, first of all it's not underperforming, it's just not overperforming like PS4 is doing or Wii/3DS did. Take Dring's word for it: he said it was doing "OK". Not great, not bad, just ok. That doesn't warrant being called doomed in the slightest.

UK is a big market for sure, but not performing massively in one big market can easily be negated by great performances in other markets (like Japan, where it'll easily sell more than DS did in UK). So, calling it doomed is nonsense.

Not surprising that it's behind PS4 but surprising that it's ahead of XB1. Nintendo has been weak here post Wii/DS, so I guess this is a win for them.

Zedark

So, XB1 sold through 1 million units in almost exactly 1 year in the UK (PS4 did in September the same year):
MCV UK said:
Xbox One has smashed the one million sales barrier in the UK, MCV can reveal.

It's hit this number after out-selling PlayStation 4 for three weeks in a row, UK retailers have told us. The numbers are based on their GfK Chart-Track reports.

The resurgence in Xbox One sales has come on the back of a number of blockbuster game launches, including Sunset Overdrive, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
So, at the current pace, Switch should be set to sell through at least a million in its first 12 months on the market.

ksamedi

So how is the supply there? Is it supply constrained? Funny that I ready an article from a retailer that the Switch was doing very well in the UK and that units were sold out pretty quickly. Ok doesnt seem like the right description for it

So, XB1 sold through 1 million units in almost exactly 1 year in the UK (PS4 did in September the same year):

So, at the current pace, Switch should be set to sell through at least a million in its first 12 months on the market.

From the article:

Xbox One has smashed the one million sales barrier in the UK, MCV can reveal.
It’s hit this number after out-selling PlayStation 4 for three weeks in a row, UK retailers have told us. The numbers are based on their GfK Chart-Track reports.
The resurgence in Xbox One sales has come on the back of a number of blockbuster game launches, including Sunset Overdrive, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Anyone noticed something?

Celine

DS was so strong everywhere
Yeah, I did a quick check on the sell-through data (NPD, GFK, Famitsu) I have for the major markets and the difference between PS2 LTD and DS LTD amount to roughly 26.9 million units in favor for DS.
It's stunning!

DS LTD - PS2 LTD (data may be incomplete especially for DS)

Germany: 1.6M
France: 5.0M
UK: 2.3M
US: 6.4M
JP: 11.6M

EDIT:
DS total sell-through in those 5 markets is 114.8 million units (again with incomplete data).

So how is the supply there? Is it supply constrained? Funny that I ready an article from a retailer that the Switch was doing very well in the UK and that units were sold out pretty quickly. Ok doesnt seem like the right description for it

Seems to have been more supply the last few weeks and is much easier to buy now than it was especially online, still havent actually seen one for sale in an actual shop though apart from in CEX (stolen goods shop) for 70 quid more than normal price

Zedark

You mean this one? It's a very good read. Some choice quotes:
MCV UK said:
For Robert Lindsay, managing director at Games Centre, this year has been ”better than expected" so far, with the High Street retailer's strategy of product diversification ”starting to bear fruit." But, again, he singles out a ”surprisingly strong performance from Switch despite relative shortages."

Overall, however, Fraser says the new console has had a positive impact on business. ”Switch has been a good news story on a whole. Yes, stock has been short and we – along with the rest of retail – could have sold more units, but the sales have continued with every stock drop. It seems like many third-party publishers have been wary to launch new releases until the success was gauged over the first six months of the console.

Christopher Dring also mentions that the stock situation is not completely free, although it's clear that it mostly is available in the UK. Sales are generally considered good by the retailers, so maybe they are using a different reference frame than Dring to come to that conclusion.

From the article:

Outselling PS4 for three weeks in November? That doesn't contradict the things mentioned here, really. Launch aligned, the period referred to (first 3 weeks of November of the second calendar year for XB1/PS4) hasn't come. XB1 could sneak ahead after the holiday period comes along (which don't come at the same time for XB1 and Switch in their launch aligned charts), but none of that is referred to here.

Edit:
I think he's remarking that the XB1 sold the best when it had exclusives (good exclusives) releasing.
Or that indeed, haha!

ZOONAMI

Really curious to see how this gen will end up sales-wise (yes I consider the Switch part of this generation).

Before I pretty much assumed

1. PS4
2. Xbox One
3. Switch.

Now I'm wondering if, barring supply constraint, if the Switch can snag the #2 spot. Guess it depends on A) The impact of the X1X, and B) If the Switch can maintain this momentum.

To the gen I would actually add 10 million or so Wii us to whatever switch pulls to see where Nintendo comes out. It's basically the same thing as including scorpio or pro numbers in the Ps4 and Xbox totals. If Nintendo can sell 30-40 million switches they will have beat MS in the gen. They have a long way to go.

I think by 2020 switch will be at 25mil or so, which is actually probably a pretty good result for Nintendo internally. If they release a slightly updated version by 2019 I think they can hit 30-35 plus 10mil or so Wii us

It's entirely dependent on if they can make enough to meet demand. If they could keep up they'd easily have 10mil switches sold by the end of this year.

Outselling PS4 for three weeks in November? That doesn't contradict the things mentioned here, really. Launch aligned, the period referred to (first 3 weeks of November of the second calendar year for XB1/PS4) hasn't come. XB1 could sneak ahead after the holiday period comes along (which don't come at the same time for XB1 and Switch in their launch aligned charts), but none of that is referred to here.

I think he's remarking that the XB1 sold the best when it had exclusives (good exclusives) releasing.

UK is a juggernaut market so it's applicable here.

No. UK market is relatively not bigger than other european markets, and has been always not a big market market for Nintendo.

But UK is the only european market we get relatively detailed sales information on a constant base. So perhaps for some people it the UK market seems to be more important than other european markets because of its visibility here. But in fact it is only one market among others. With the economy going down in UK because of Brexit UK market will be perhaps even less relevant in future relatively to other countries.

I screamed so loud lol!!😂😂

But I mean that's to be expected. It wasn't going to meet Sony at 50+ million in a year regardless of location. That takes time and more games. It will get there though...I feel it with that Pokemon,I'm telling yall. If they nail it, 🔥

To the gen I would actually add 10 million or so Wii us to whatever switch pulls to see where Nintendo comes out. It's basically the same thing as including scorpio or pro numbers in the Ps4 and Xbox totals. If Nintendo can sell 30-40 million switches they will have beat MS in the gen. They have a long way to go.

I think by 2020 switch will be at 25mil or so, which is actually probably a pretty good result for Nintendo internally. If they release a slightly updated version by 2019 I think they can hit 30-35 plus 10mil or so Wii us

It's entirely dependent on if they can make enough to meet demand. If they could keep up they'd easily have 10mil switches sold by the end of this year.
Combining Wii U + Switch sales is the same as XB1/X and PS4/Pro? Hah. What a joke.

bombshell

I screamed so loud lol!!����

But I mean that's to be expected. It wasn't going to meet Sony at 50+ million in a year regardless of location. That takes time and more games. It will get there though...I feel it with that Pokemon,I'm telling yall. If they nail it, ��

Uhhh, the thread is about 2017 sales. It's not a Switch to life time sales of the other consoles comparison.

From the article:

What should we notice?

AmFreak

No. UK market is relatively not bigger than other european markets, and has been always not a big market market for Nintendo.

But UK is the only european market we get relatively detailed sales information on a constant base. So perhaps for some people it the UK market seems to be more important than other european markets because of its visibility here. But in fact it is only one market among others. With the economy going down in UK because of Brexit UK market will be perhaps even less relevant in future relatively to other countries.
The UK is the 2nd biggest home console market in the world.

Shiggy

screenshot2017-09-12a6uslo.png

Revenue in million EUR

So Ireland was one of the biggest Nintendo markets during the Wii era with the UK not doing very well, am I right?

Seriously!!!!!!!

Zedark

So Ireland was one of the biggest Nintendo markets during the Wii era with the UK not doing very well, am I right?

Is there a particular reason why the revenue numbers went down so drastically? Is it all because of the disappearance of Wii/DS for way less successful Nintendo products or are more factors at play?

Shiggy

Is there a particular reason why the revenue numbers went down so drastically? Is it all because of the disappearance of Wii/DS for way less successful Nintendo products or are more factors at play?

It was basically that, 3DS and Wii U happened.

pswii60

Digital.

I think these numbers are retail only.

Kiote

Nintendo Stopped Support for the Wii 1.5 to 2 years before the Wii U Launch. The Wii U then flopped. Pretty much as simple as that.

Have you not seen the console or software sale numbers for France Spain Italy, they fall far behind UK and Germany? UK and Germany are pretty much even while UK has 15 million less people.

China
US
Japan
Germany
UK

If we're talking about the games here then UK Germany are pretty much tied for 3rd place in the world.

I'm sorry to those Nintendo fans but yes UK is a big market and especially so per head. You should also note Italy and France have the same populations as the UK but fall way behind. UK 65m FR 67m IT 60m.

Games like Fallout 4 sold huge in the UK, Germany lagged behind UK in sales using the German sales awards by a big margin iirc, this is with 23% more people. Same with FIFA and others I tracked when we used to get the data posted regularly.

Zedark

It was basically that, 3DS and Wii U happened.
Digital.

I think these numbers are retail only.

Yeah, that makes sense. The big drop is of course Wii/DS -> WiiU/3DS. I was going to remark that the sales were dropping all the way into 2015/2016, but that is indeed likely due to the rise of digital which GFK don't track. Still, it's incredible to see how enormous the market share of the Wii/DS was on the European market.

Anecdotal evidence and all, but it took a while to explain to my Mum that the 3DS was, in fact, a separate console and she would need one if she desired to play newer game releases, as the DS would not be able to run them.

She only ever upgraded because the Lego games eventually dropped the DS entirely.

Top Bottom