• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Nintendo Switch sales currently above XB1 for the year, but way below PS4

Toxi

Banned
Haha.

So weak that people here don't call it video gaming or computer gaming. People say "Playing on the PlayStation" while they watch Champions League football complete plastered in PlayStation ads.
People do that in the US though. Well, not watching Champions League, but they do call any game console a "PlayStation" (and any portable is a "Gameboy").

cakely

I'll never understand this place and the obsession with sales. Can't have fun with the games unless "insert colour here" team has sold the most toys...

I think you've mistakenly posted in a sales thread ... unless ... maybe you're saying that you don't understand your own obsession with sales? Was that a cry for help?

Are you referring to:

?

Doesn't say anything for xbone, I was under the impression their UK launch was fairly close to PS4.

There's this further down that thread, but posted by someone else:

How about Xbox One vs. Switch launch aligned? Is XB1 ahead in that comparison?

Nope switch is ahead on that as well. Xbox one had a strong launch week but poor ever since in comparison

Not sure who that is, does anyone know if he would know these things?

There is a lot of truth there but despite all that, I never had it pegged as a failure. It was very popular, the amount of Nintendo dedicated magazines are testament to that. .

The Mega Drive sold way better in the UK, in fact the only systems that came close to its total sales of over 3 million in the UK were the ZX Spectrum and Amiga, before the PS came. Mega Drive market was so good it still had the biggest share of the UK gaming market in 1995 and titles like Brian Lara 96, Premier Manager topped the carts

The list of Mega Drive mags was insane too... MEGA, SEGA Power, Sega Mean Machines, Mega Power, Sega Pro, Advanced Mega Drive gaming, Sega Force, Mega Tech Ect. Think people forget just how big SEGA was in the UK during the 16-bit and 8-bit period

Trouble is this board thinks coming 2nd or 3rd doesn't count and you can't make money or do well. You can and software sales are always key. XBox One titles do ok and good enough for most 3rd parties, just like on the Snes, even if that system was a distant 2nd too in the UK

The Mega Drive sold way better in the UK, in fact the only systems that came close to its total sales of over 3 million in the UK were the ZX Spectrum and Amiga, before the PS came. Mega Drive market was so good it still had the biggest share of the UK gaming market in 1995 and titles like Brian Lara 96, Premier Manager topped the carts

The list of Mega Drive mags was insane too... MEGA, SEGA Power, Sega Mean Machines, Mega Power, Sega Pro, Advanced Mega Drive gaming, Sega Force, Mega Tech Ect. Think people forget just how big SEGA was in the UK during the 16-bit and 8-bit period

Trouble is this board thinks coming 2nd or 3rd doesn't count and you can't make money or do well. You can and software sales are always key and XBox One titles do ok and good enough for most 3rd parties, just like on the Snes, even if it was a distant 2nd in the UK

I have three things to say to this

1) I agree that coming second does not mean faliure and that the SNES probably came second to the MD
2) Not sure about distant second
3) How do you know this without data and if you have data, can we see it?

dealer-

New console sells more, in the same year, than the console that has 4 years already on the market and a more powerful iteration on the imminent horizon. That is surprising.

I'll never understand this place and the obsession with sales. Can't have fun with the games unless "insert colour here" team has sold the most toys...

Tbh Milky, there are just as many people in these threads that can't cope with the fact their favourite platform or game isn't selling as well as hoped and offering up often far fetched excuses as to why. It's happening in the Destiny 2 sales threads.

Xbox has had a poor year. Call a spade a spade.

It's also outselling XB1 launch-aligned. That is surprising.

Xbox one sold 364k units in the first 6 weeks and 1 million in 52
Switch already beat that or on the way? Do you have a source on that?

Wouldn't that be the third fastest selling console in the UK? Hard to believe with the low supply

Are you referring to:

?

Doesn't say anything for xbone, I was under the impression their UK launch was fairly close to PS4.

Yeah, I was referring to that. It looks like me (and a number of others earlier in this thread) read that tweet incorrectly. Dumb mistake on my part.

Xbox one sold 364k units in the first 6 weeks and 1 million in 52
Switch already beat that or on the way? Do you have a source on that?

Wouldn't that be the thrid fastes selling console in the UK? Hard to believe with the low supply

That doesn't make sense though. After first month Xbox One had sold over around 361k units in UK. In comparison we have not gotten UK numbers since Switch launch but in France Switch sold 250k units by mid june and France has been Nintendos strongest region in Europe for a while.

See above.

There is another user in that Twitter conversation who claims that Switch is outselling XB1 launch-aligned, but I have no idea who that person is, so I'm not going to take it as confirmation.

Mameshiba

Neo Member
Well yes for last gen UK was relatively weaker market for Nintendo but that is only one gen. That doesn't make it historic pattern yet. Also how much 3DS has actually sold in UK, France and Germany? Quickly searching myself I found pretty comparable figures for late 2013 LTD sales. By mid december 2013 in UK 3DS had sold 2 million units. By mid november 2013 in France 2.15 million units and by end of 2013 1.83 million units in Germany. In this comparison UK doesn't strike as that much weaker market.

I don't know about unit sales, but Shiggy posted a chart with the revenue, and atleast since 2012 the revenue in UK has been quite a bit smaller than in Germany, even though the total gaming revenue is similar. Looking at the same chart, it seems like the UK is still a bigger market for Nintendo than France though, assuming that Spain, Portugal, Benelux and Russia together are at least the same size as France.

m.i.s.

Banned

1) I agree that coming second does not mean faliure and that the SNES probably came second to the MD
2) Not sure about distant second

I'll try to find a link but the UK figures I heard were 2.5 million MD to 1.5 million SNES. This was before the days of the meteoric rise of gaming and twenty-somethings with disposable cash getting into gaming.

The SNES launched late in the UK and on multi-plat titles MD games were cheaper [despite being slightly inferior in graphics and sound though, of-course, this could be subjective]. Nintendo had always marketed itself as slightly premium. And sometimes took advantage of it's technical superiority and exclusivity. eg SFII Turbo for an eye watering £65.

Unlike Sony, who have a global presence, N has always given the impression that it was Japan-Asia and US markets first and other territories second.

Does one have to go and get the old Mags. The Mega Drive had a Hardware sales advantage of over a million and a half units over the Snes. Which back in the day was Huge in the UK market. It was reflected in the massive support for Mega Drive mags in the UK . The Snes didn't come close.

That doesn't make sense though. After first month Xbox One had sold over around 361k units in UK. In comparison we have not gotten UK numbers since Switch launch but in France Switch sold 250k units by mid june and France has been Nintendos strongest region in Europe for a while.

It has always been strong for Nintendo, One of the few parts of Europe the Snes outsold the Mega Dive

Yeah, I was referring to that. It looks like me (and a number of others earlier in this thread) read that tweet incorrectly. Dumb mistake on my part.

See above.

There is another user in that Twitter conversation who claims that Switch is outselling XB1 launch-aligned, but I have no idea who that person is, so I'm not going to take it as confirmation.

Okay thanks. So i disregard that for now.

Does one have to go and get the old Mags. The Mega Drive had a Hardware sales advantage of over a million and a half units over the Snes. Which back in the day was Huge in the UK market. It was reflected in the massive support for Mega Drive mags in the UK . The Snes didn't come close.

I'll try to find a link but the UK figures I heard were 2.5 million MD to 1.5 million SNES. This was before the days of the meteoric rise of gaming and twenty-somethings with disposable cash getting into gaming.

The SNES launched late in the UK and on multi-plat titles MD games were cheaper [despite being slightly inferior in graphics and sound though, of-course, this could be subjective]. Nintendo had always marketed itself as slightly premium. And sometimes took advantage of it's technical superiority and exclusivity. eg SFII Turbo for an eye watering £65.

Unlike Sony, who have a global presence, N has always given the impression that it was Japan-Asia and US markets first and other territories second.

pointless to discuss this without the numbers

edit: that sounds rude. Sorry. I would like to see the numbers though. Thanks.

Curious... how are you rationalizing this?

Most people I know here (in the uk) used to own an Xbox and most of them are your average consumer. When MS shit the bed during launch, the gaming media and meme culture formed this negative look on the console, deservedly.

That literally shaped average consumers opinions on the console, and now even after four year and load and loads of price drops people are still not going back to Xbox regardless of how much fun they had on 360. It's a tainted console and most "average" consumers do not feel the need a second console anyway.

If they average consumer gave a damn, than Sony's lead would not be so ridiculous, MS could have bounced back in their nr2 territory, but they do give a shit unlike how a lot of people on this forum seem to think.
MS has been doing so much to make Xbox an attractive proposal to the consumer but it doesn't have the desired effect. Now with Xbox OX a £450 console they seem to have learned nothing.

Well yes for last gen UK was relatively weaker market for Nintendo but that is only one gen. That doesn't make it historic pattern yet. Also how much 3DS has actually sold in UK, France and Germany? Quickly searching myself I found pretty comparable figures for late 2013 LTD sales. By mid december 2013 in UK 3DS had sold 2 million units. By mid november 2013 in France 2.15 million units and by end of 2013 1.83 million units in Germany. In this comparison UK doesn't strike as that much weaker market.

If the overall market in the UK is bigger than the other two yet sales for Nintendo are similar or worse....then the UK is a weaker market for Nintendo relatively, it's not only about absolute numbers.

R0nn

Are there any numbers out there for Europe in general? I'm very curious about how it's doing on the mainland. There doesn't seem to be any sort of hype or mindshare about the Switch here in the Netherlands. Especially compared to Wii and DS which were on everyone's mind back then. There's also hardly any store presence compared to PS4 or X1.

People are waiting for the X. It's expected.

They are not, they would have built a PC by now, especially if they're the sort to already own a 4K TV. Plus there's a high chance they already own a Pro because of that.

There's really no reason to own an Xbox, it needs a hook and I'm struggling to see one..

m.i.s.

Banned

These are the most recent figures I could find from Wiki

United Kingdom[edit]
Based on figures from GfK Chart-Track, as of January 3, 2009,[36] unless noted otherwise.

Manufacturer Console Released Units sold
Sega Mega Drive Nov 30, 1990 2.1 million
Nintendo Super NES Apr 1992 1.05 million

If the overall market in the UK is bigger than the other two yet sales for Nintendo are similar or worse....then the UK is a weaker market for Nintendo relatively, it's not only about absolute numbers.

Well I guess so. It's not like UK is that much bigger market than France or especially Germany though. Going by some posts in this thread you would think that Nintendo does as well in UK as Xbox in Japan.

FinalAres

I am disappointed by Switch sales tbh. I was hoping it would be a cultural zeitgeist like Wii was. I guess I'll just be happy if it's a success though. I like the console.

These are the most recent figures I could find from Wiki

United Kingdom[edit]
Based on figures from GfK Chart-Track, as of January 3, 2009,[36] unless noted otherwise.

Manufacturer Console Released Units sold
Sega Mega Drive Nov 30, 1990 2.1 million
Nintendo Super NES Apr 1992 1.05 million

We've discussed these. The source for SNES figure is a magazine that was published in 1995. Considering that it was another two years before the N64 was released and the SNES was still being sold after that, that figure must be well, well down on the actual total. But thanks for looking :)

Celine

360 sold more than the Wii in the UK I think. Unless DS counts I don't think Nintendo have ever been number 1 in the UK. Maybe that'll change in like 20 years time with the new generation of kids.
Correct however 360 caught up Wii around June 2013, Wii was the (home) market leader for years.
What I mean by this is that in the end both Xbox 360 and Wii sold in absolute term so well that they are respectively the third and fourth best selling console ever in UK and the gap between the two is (relatively) small.
Something very similar happened in US (which of course is a bigger market than UK).

DS: 12.3M (as December 2010)
PS2: 10.0M (as January 2010)
XB360: 9.0M (as June 2015)
Wii: over 8.4M (as June 2013)
PS1: 7.2M (as December 2005)
GB/C: 6.6M (as December 2005, GBC only 1.5M as December 1999)
PS3: 5.9M (as June 2015)
GBA: 4.6M (as December 2005, GBA SP 2.38M as December 2005)
PSP: 3.6M (as January 2010)
XB: 2.1M (as December 2005)
N64: 1.6M (as December 2001)
GC: 1.2M (as December 2005)
DC: 0.28M (as May 2000)

Source: Chart-Track

I am disappointed by Switch sales tbh. I was hoping it would be a cultural zeitgeist like Wii was. I guess I'll just be happy if it's a success though. I like the console.
It was never, ever going to do that lol

Wii was the very definition of the perfect storm at the right time.

Thorrgal

He must trolljoking

Sony said 20% of ps4 buyers are pro consumers. Yes people will wait for a different product.

Many of which were upgraders at launch.

Moreover, the price difference between the Pro and the Slim was £90, whereas the price difference between the X and the S will be at least £250.

That's HUGE. Can't be overstated enough

Im glad the switch is selling like crazy, however, I've never seen one in the wild...I've been 2 months in the US, a few weeks in London and going to Spain next week, and am originally from Portugal and never saw anyone with a switch, which I find pretty odd, being a portable console.

MisterR

20% of your entire inventory is a lot, in what world is 20% Not alot? Btw I'm not saying xbox one x will magically make microsoft number 1 market leader. it's just disingenuous to say it doesn't have an impact on its sales.

The impact will be very small. Just like the Pro. It's not bringing in new consumers. The vast majority of that 20% will be people already in the ecosystem upgrading or people who would have bought and S. It changes nothing significantly as far as sales go.

37037326672_1ab4c2f6dd_o.jpg

Top Bottom