• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Nintendo Switch sales currently above XB1 for the year, but way below PS4

Of what month/year is this Edge issue?
I suppose sometime in mid 1995?

Its EDGE issue 17 Feb 1995. It didn't get any better for the SNES in the UK through out 1995 where the Mega Drive outsold it by a wide margin.

If we had NeoGAF in 1995 people here would be saying Nintendo is finished in the UK

Celine

Its EDGE issue 17 Feb 1995. It didn't get any better for the SNES in the UK through out 1995 where the Mega Drive outsold it by a wide margin.

If we had NeoGAF in 1995 people here would be saying Nintendo is finished in the UK
Oh I asked to determine until what month/year that Gallup estimates could have been (Chart-Track was the heir of Gallup).
It is widely known that MD outsold SNES in UK.
Nintendo didn't even had a presence in UK to sell their console until 1993, before it was Bandai UK the distributor.

Oh I asked to determine until what month/year that Gallup estimates could have been (Chart-Track was the heir of Gallup).
It is widely known that MD outsold SNES in UK.
Nintendo didn't even had a presence in UK to sell their console until 1993, before it was Bandai UK the distributor.

The Snes didn't even outsell the Amiga in the UK and it came 3rd in the UK's 16-bit battle. Which in NeoGAF talk is a total failure and need to give up, or is that only for MS?

Virgin Mastroinc sold the Master System in the UK and did totally outsold the NES in the UK. The Game sold the N64 in the UK. Like I said if we had NeoGAF back then Nintendo would be doomed in the UK and need to pull out.

pswii60

Actually, 360 eventually outsold the Wii install base in the UK.

Nintendo has never won a home console generation in the UK. But Switch is a hybrid, targeting both markets. So there's still a chance.
Correct however 360 caught up Wii around June 2013, Wii was the (home) market leader for years.
What I mean by this is that in the end both Xbox 360 and Wii sold in absolute term so well that they are respectively the third and fourth best selling console ever in UK and the gap between the two is (relatively) small.
Something very similar happened in US (which of course is a bigger market than UK).

DS: 12.3M (as December 2010)
PS2: 10.0M (as January 2010)
XB360: 9.0M (as June 2015)
Wii: over 8.4M (as June 2013)
PS1: 7.2M (as December 2005)
GB/C: 6.6M (as December 2005, GBC only 1.5M as December 1999)
PS3: 5.9M (as June 2015)
GBA: 4.6M (as December 2005, GBA SP 2.38M as December 2005)
PSP: 3.6M (as January 2010)
XB: 2.1M (as December 2005)
N64: 1.6M (as December 2001)
GC: 1.2M (as December 2005)
DC: 0.28M (as May 2000)

Source: Chart-Track
360 really was a beast in the UK. Still amazing how MS could fuck everything up in just two reveal press conferences within a week of each other.
Im glad the switch is selling like crazy, however, I've never seen one in the wild...I've been 2 months in the US, a few weeks in London and going to Spain next week, and am originally from Portugal and never saw anyone with a switch, which I find pretty odd, being a portable console.

Nor me, but it's still got a relatively low install base, being so new to the market. And I'd still feel stupid taking it in public.

The Snes didn't even outsell the Amiga in the UK and it came 3rd in the UK's 16-bit battle. Which in NeoGAF talk is a total failure and need to give up, or is that only for MS?

Virgin Mastroinc sold the Master System in the UK and did totally outsold the NES in the UK. The Game sold the N64 in the UK. Like I said if we had NeoGAF back then Nintendo would be doomed in the UK and need to pull out.

I mean Xbox One's issue is that we know that in America (Xbox's biggest market and one of Nintendo's biggest markets) it's doing poorly and it's a nonfactor in Japan (Nintendo performs very well here) so performing poorly in another big region is signs of performing reallly badly. It's also after PS1, PS2 and Wii exploded the console market to the point where console sales are a magnitude of difference in sales

No surprise here, since this is widely regarded as one of PS4's peak years and the UK is Sony territory.

It wasn't full sony territory for much of last gen. The 360 took off nicely and held its own in the UK for a good portion if last gen. If anything the change for sony and ninty this gen shows how far MS has fallen.

Ms has to be smarting at being the third wheel in a territory it had a nice big presence in not thay long ago.

I doubt the fairly tepid response to the xbx in the UK will help matters. I mean you shouldn't read too much in your friends reactions as it's a very small subset, but when the general feeling is that of apathy and their want of a switch much higher to sit alongside their console of choice, it's not a good starting point.

wotta

When it comes to Xbox One X, as far as I'm concerned all you can look at for comparison is PS4 Pro, which takes 20% of PS4 sales. So if Xbox One X does the same then it's hardly going to help MS pick up sales. I can't imagine at £450 it's going to even account for 20% of Xbox sales, but we'll see.

Like any new hardware it'll start well and likely tale away pretty quickly, especially once people who aren't as clued up realise that it's just a 4K Xbox One.

I really don't think MS helped itself with Xbox One S, as it was quite deceptive with the 4K marketing, so maybe people won't realise the consoles are too much different.

As for Switch, I think it would be doing even better if it was stocked up, although stock seems to be all around the UK now and it's no longer selling out, so maybe the Switch sales are slowing a little now too.

PS4 has a few FIFA Hardware bundles and the Destiny one, so I think it'll keep selling for now. There is even a PS4 Pro FIFA bundle.

CazTGG

Source?
I have another LTD for N64 in UK as end of 2001 (bigger).

They literally told you the source in their post:

To add some context, according to Chart-Track as of Jan 2009:

Nintendo DS 8.8 million
Nintendo Wii 4.9 million
Nintendo 64 1.3 million
Nintendo Entertainment System 1.1 million
Nintendo Super NES 1.05 million

Microsoft Xbox 360 3.2 million

Sony PlayStation 2 10 million
Sony PlayStation Portable 3.2 million
Sony PlayStation 3 1.9 million

Sega Mega Drive 2.1 million
Sega Master System 1.35 million

Uhhh, the thread is about 2017 sales. It's not a Switch to life time sales of the other consoles comparison.

What should we notice?

Oops, well in that case...it's fair to say this might be due a stock issue rather than just not being wanted. Either way, I think eventually it will catch up globally ...it's just a matter of when. It seems like Japan is picking up all the weight on this so it's kinda of expected in other markets

I mean Xbox One's issue is that we know that in America (Xbox's biggest market and one of Nintendo's biggest markets) it's doing poorly and it's a nonfactor in Japan (Nintendo performs very well here) so performing poorly in another big region is signs of performing reallly badly. It's also after PS1, PS2 and Wii exploded the console market to the point where console sales are a magnitude of difference in sales

It's 2nd in the USA (just like the SNES was too for most of its life)and close to selling 30 million units, nothing to SONY but hardly a failure. Both retail and 3rd Parties make money off the system. This place needs to get things into perspective

Nilaul

Is it such a bad thing if Nintendo consoles have a little bit of success and outsell the Xbox? Is it the end of the world?

It's 2nd in the USA (just like the SNES was too for most of its life)and close to selling 30 million units, nothing to SONY but hardly a failure. Both retail and 3rd Parties make money off the system. This place needs to get things into perspective

I mean, you should consider perspective too. Only selling 30 million after 4 years today is way different from only selling 30 million back in the SNES days. Back then, selling a million copies of your game meant your game was a huge success with like 200k units breaking even for pretty much every game. Nowadays, 1 million could possible break even for most A projects with only niche titles counting that as success with several AAA needing in the ball park of 5 million copies. Similarly, consoles sales increased in practically a magnitude compared to back then with the market being much bigger. 30 million Xbox Ones is like if the SNES only sold like 10 million in terms of market growth.
Also, the Xbox One is only 2nd in terms of LTD and you discount the 3DS. Month to Month, the Switch and PS4 are handily beating it even with stock limitations for the Switch

Is it such a bad thing if Nintendo consoles have a little bit of success and outsell the Xbox? Is it the end of the world?

You sound like you've been victimized man. Like it's not that serious lol.

And I dunno about the UK but the Switch wont have any issue outselling the Xbox One in total.

I mean, you should consider perspective too. Only selling 30 million after 4 years today is way different from only selling 30 million back in the SNES days. Back then, selling a million copies of your game meant your game was a huge success with like 200k units breaking even for pretty much every game. Nowadays, 1 million could possible break even for most A projects with only niche titles counting that as success with several AAA needing in the ball park of 5 million copies. Similarly, consoles sales increased in practically a magnitude compared to back then with the market being much bigger. 30 million Xbox Ones is like if the SNES only sold like 10 million in terms of market growth.
Also, the Xbox One is only 2nd in terms of LTD and you discount the 3DS. Month to Month, the Switch and PS4 are handily beating it even with stock limitations for the Switch

Even today selling a million units is what a lot of games hope to do, I mean this place loved to talk of Persona, Nier, Nioh selling a million units, even Yakuza 0 can't hit a million. No I haven't forgot about the 3DS that's be like saying you forget about PC sales and the revenues MS gets from Windows, Direct X Ec.

It's all about units of software and if retail and 3rd party sell enough units off your hardware, that is why even with record sales the WII had pretty poor 3rd party support but in contrast, the OG XBox even with sales nothing to that of the PS2, still enjoyed healthy 3rd party support. The moment 3rd parties, retail stop backing your system, then you are in trouble.

Theonik

What?

PS1: top-selling console
PS2: top-selling console
PS4: top-selling console

That's three gens out of four.

The weakness Sony has is in the handheld market. But Sony dominating three of the last four home consoles gens is "very weak"?

DS and Wii aside, Nintendo have always been comfortably outsold.

To add some context, according to Chart-Track as of Jan 2009:

Nintendo DS 8.8 million
Nintendo Wii 4.9 million
Nintendo 64 1.3 million
Nintendo Entertainment System 1.1 million
Nintendo Super NES 1.05 million

Microsoft Xbox 360 3.2 million

Sony PlayStation 2 10 million
Sony PlayStation Portable 3.2 million
Sony PlayStation 3 1.9 million

Sega Mega Drive 2.1 million
Sega Master System 1.35 million

Can't find any figures for PS1 strangely. No GC, DC or Saturn either.
Sony's strongest systems comfortably outsold their competitors in pretty much every region. But the US and UK had always been Sony's weakest regions by far compared to true Sonyland which is continental Europe. Hell, in the UK the Xbox is actually a thing. Which it never was outside it.

Haha.

So weak that people here don't call it video gaming or computer gaming. People say "Playing on the PlayStation" while they watch Champions League football complete plastered in PlayStation ads.
🤔

-hadouken

The impact will be very small. Just like the Pro. It's not bringing in new consumers. The vast majority of that 20% will be people already in the ecosystem upgrading or people who would have bought and S.
Agree - and new X1S sales will also be impacted to some extent by early adopters flooding the used market with one year old X1Ss.

In hindsight, I feel Sony were very astute with their launch of the Pro. What looked like lukewarm marketing and mixed messaging was in fact a clever way of sneaking it into the marketplace (for those desperate for an upgrade) without undermining the perceived value of the base PS4. I'm glad the X1X exists - hope that it keeps devs pushing the envelope, but it's looking increasingly difficult for MS outside of the US.

wapplew

Agree - and new X1S sales will also be impacted to some extent by early adopters flooding the used market with one year old X1Ss.

In hindsight, I feel Sony were very astute with their launch of the Pro. What looked like lukewarm marketing and mixed messaging was in fact a clever way of sneaking it into the marketplace (for those desperate for an upgrade) without undermining the perceived value of the base PS4. I'm glad the X1X exists - hope that it keeps devs pushing the envelope, but it's looking increasingly difficult for MS outside of the US.

GAF was so different on Xbox future 10 months ago...
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1312050

All that Sony mistake with slim no UHD Bluray, underwhelming Pro event, poor slim design and all the Xbox team turned the brand around, sexy great console, Scorpio have no effect on One S etc.
Night and day different.

Most people I know here (in the uk) used to own an Xbox and most of them are your average consumer. When MS shit the bed during launch, the gaming media and meme culture formed this negative look on the console, deservedly.

That literally shaped average consumers opinions on the console, and now even after four year and load and loads of price drops people are still not going back to Xbox regardless of how much fun they had on 360. It's a tainted console and most "average" consumers do not feel the need a second console anyway.

If they average consumer gave a damn, than Sony's lead would not be so ridiculous, MS could have bounced back in their nr2 territory, but they do give a shit unlike how a lot of people on this forum seem to think.
MS has been doing so much to make Xbox an attractive proposal to the consumer but it doesn't have the desired effect. Now with Xbox OX a £450 console they seem to have learned nothing.

I think you're making a mistake by equating your Xbox-loving friends to the average gaming consumer. The average gaming consumer has no platform loyaltly and their console purchasing decisions are based on three simple factors: cost, performance (or more accurately "performance" according to marketing hype) and games... with the first and third choices being by far the most important.

Even in spite of the XB1 launch debacle, the XB1 launched at a $100 premium, with a significantly less powerful box and less exclusive games. On all accounts they have been less competitive than their direct competitor in the marketplace. It's extremely unlikely that the average gamer would factor MS' pre-180 policies into their current purchasing decisions. You're even forgetting that the enthusiast media was bending over backwards in the most utterly embarrassing fashion to justify MS' original XB1 policies.

Regardless, AHA-Lambda's original post you were replying to was talking about average consumers not caring about MS's effort to bolster their Windows 10 gaming platform, which is something I think anyone would struggle to argue against.

Sony's strongest systems comfortably outsold their competitors in pretty much every region. But the US and UK had always been Sony's weakest regions by far compared to true Sonyland which is continental Europe. Hell, in the UK the Xbox is actually a thing. Which it never was outside it.

🤔
"Weakest" territory is not the the same as being weak in a territory, which was your original claim.

Unless, by "has always been" you mean "for a single console generation; i.e. the PS3 gen", then this claim doesn't really hold.

If Sony has had the top selling console in the US and UK for 3/4 gens then how are those Sony's weakest regions?

Even in relative terms, they probably sell more consoles in the US and UK than any other individual territory (probably Japan is an exception, since they probably sell more consoles in Japan than the UK conventionally).

Theonik

"Weakest" territory is not the the same as being weak in a territory, which was your original claim.
I don't see where you see this distinction when my original claim is in itself relative. What constitutes a weak Sony territory depends on the regions where Sony can be considered to be doing really well in. I never said the UK is an MS territory as that would be markedly false. I simply stated that Sony is notably weaker in the UK vs other regions where they dominate and that MS has a notably strong presence.

For Nintendo, the UK was one of the Wii's strongest territories as well as a very strong market for the DS.

Unless, by "has always been" you mean "for a single console generation; i.e. the PS3 gen", then this claim doesn't really hold.

If Sony has had the top selling console in the US and UK for 3/4 gens then how are those Sony's weakest regions?

Even in relative terms, they probably sell more consoles in the US and UK than any other individual territory (probably Japan is an exception, since they probably sell more consoles in Japan than the UK conventionally).
When you don't consider the sizes of each of those markets, then that would be true, but you can't exactly do that. What's important is the marketshare in each of those regions.

I don't see where you see this distinction when my original claim is in itself relative. What constitutes a weak Sony territory depends on the regions where Sony can be considered to be doing really well in. I never said the UK is an MS territory as that would be markedly false. I simply stated that Sony is notably weaker in the UK vs other regions where they dominate and that MS has a notably strong presence.

For Nintendo, the UK was one of the Wii's strongest territories as well as a very strong market for the DS.

When you don't consider the sizes of each of those markets, then that would be true, but you can't exactly do that. What's important is the marketshare in each of those regions.

Yea and even in the Ps1 or Ps2 era, Sony never had the marketshare numbers there like in other territory.

Nintendo was always very strong in the US and the same was true for Sega and Xbox compared to other foreign markets.

Sony never had anything above 35% of their customer base in the US.
Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft did or still do...

This is what you said:

The UK is a very weak Sony territory. Ms has a pretty strong foothold here as did Nintendo.

So please explain how Sony easily outselling Nintendo and MS for three of the past four generations is "very weak", yet the same scenario means MS and Nintendo are "pretty strong"?

That is demonstrably false. And doesn't make any sense.

Edit: According to Celine's figures:

PS1 outsold N64 ~ 4.5:1
PS2 outsold GC ~ 8.3:1 and Xbox ~ 4.7:1

X360 outsold PS3 ~ 1.5:1
Wii outsold PS3 ~ 1.4:1

Edit 2: rereading bits of this thread it seems like some folks are confusing the UK market as a % of WW sales with the relative strength of performance within a single market.

The UK may or may not be a small home console market, but within it historically Sony has been crazy strong for the most part.

Yea and even in the Ps1 or Ps2 era, Sony never had the marketshare numbers there like in other territory.

Nintendo was always very strong in the US and the same was true for Sega and Xbox compared to other foreign markets.

Sony never had anything above 35% of their customer base in the US.
Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft did or still do...

What does the US have to do with a UK sales thread? You don't need to wave your anti-Sony flag in every thread, y'know.

This is what you said:

So please explain how Sony easily outselling Nintendo and MS for three of the past four generations is "very weak", yet the same scenario means MS and Nintendo are "pretty strong"?

That is demonstrably false. And doesn't make any sense.

Logic takes a back seat on neogaf lol.

Alebrije

you were right.

images

Thanks for posting that but as it is from Feb 95, I'm afraid that it is not sufficient. Let's not forget that by this stage, the SNES has been out for two years, the Megadrive for four years and the Amiga for like 10 years!

Lifetime UK sales or GTFO in nicest possible way

What does the US have to do with a UK sales thread? You don't need to wave your anti-Sony flag in every thread, y'know.
Lol. How ironic and self contradicting those post are...

Other people brought up an argument what is "Sonyland", their biggest markets and where they have the biggest marketshare.
If you can't handle me providing additional color on that and proving someone else's point, feel free to seek help. But i would rather advice to just ignore those posts in the future. It was obviously not a comment addressed to you...

I'd disagree with that. UKers tend to go with the value option.

PS2 was clearly the console of choice - then the 360 came around, was seen as a better value console vs the £425 PS3 - and now PS4 has retaken the "crown".

It seems this country looks at value and what other gamers friends gravitate to - between console generations it really is a toss up here.

No, I think it's more the case of which system is most visibly associated with FIFA and, to a lesser extent now COD, will sell the most units. It's terribly depressing in all honesty.

EvB

I'd disagree with that. UKers tend to go with the value option.

PS2 was clearly the console of choice - then the 360 came around, was seen as a better value console vs the £425 PS3 - and now PS4 has retaken the "crown".

It seems this country looks at value and what other gamers friends gravitate to - between console generations it really is a toss up here.

Yep, the British are notoriously cheap. Rip off Britain!

v1oz

UK gamers aren't quite as hardcore otaku as American gamers. What I've noticed is that in America there is a demographic of gamers who will always buy Nintendo games and consoles. They grew up with the brand and there is a certain loyalty established. Whereas in the UK people will buy whatever games and console is most popular at the time. There is no strong loyalty towards any particular brand. Sony hardware could flop just as well as Microsoft hardware - there is no loyalty.

In the UK during the 16-Bit era locally made games on computers like the Amiga and C64 were even more popular than the big Japanese RPGs and action games. This was a time when the large Japanese developers dominated most of the gaming market in the rest of the world.

Top Bottom