• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PlayStation Plus price increasing to £49.99 / year from 31st August 2017

Tsunamo

The thing that concerns me is everytime this happens there are still people that try to rationalize it. When it was the 3 month sub only people went "Oh it's only the three month sub, go get a year or 1 month instead" and last time people tried to justify price increases.

Hopefully this time the bubble bursts and people realize how bad it is Sony keep on doing this over and over. The service has to me personally gotten progressively worse in offerings, not better with the pricehikes too.

John_B

I turned off auto-renewal. It's a 20% increase in cost accompanied by a "fuck off if you don't like it" e-mail. I'm not impressed.

*Splinter

The thing that concerns me is everytime this happens there are still people that try to rationalize it. When it was the 3 month sub only people went "Oh it's only the three month sub, go get a year or 1 month instead" and last time people tried to justify price increases.

Hopefully this time the bubble bursts and people realize how bad it is Sony keep on doing this over and over. The service has to me personally gotten progressively worse in offerings, not better with the pricehikes too.
What is there to rationalise? It's a very simple question:

Is PS+ worth £50/year to me?

For many people the answer will be no, and they'll end their subscriptions. For many others the answer will be yes, and they'll renew.

Well, once my current sub runs out that's the end of PSN+ for me then. I'll make sure auto-renewal is off and there are no card details on my account this evening. It was a nice thing to have but i don't get £50 value from it as i really only used it for the free games and i rarely play online.

Cpt Lmao

Think I'll just cancel, not to be too reactionary as the price increase isn't that awful, but it's made me realize how little I use PSN.

Fifa 18 will be coming to Switch and that's what I'm mainly fussed about.

Lol. Get to fuck Sony. IGC has been poor this year too. And remember people if you still want access to your IGC then you still need plus. All round a piss take.
Defence force will be strong for this one.

sublimit

Banned
Well, once my current sub runs out that's the end of PSN+ for me then. I'll make sure auto-renewal is off and there are no card details on my account this evening. It was a nice thing to have but i don't get £50 value from it as i really only used it for the free games and i rarely play online.

I would have done the same if i didn't already have PS+ for another year (got an offer for one year for 30 euros.)

But after that i will also drop it unless we see a significant rise in AAA PS4 AND Japanese Vita titles in the next 12 months (higly unlikely for both.)Or if i get another offer for 30 euros.

Now more evident than ever, People need to use the primary account trick with a close friend or relative.

As you only need 1 subscription, Meaning you can both pay half and make it alot cheaper. Not to mention that applies to all games too!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't really care to be honest. Worst case its a whole £1 a month extra, which is frankly trivial in this current economic climate where on practically any shopping trip for daily essentials, a far bigger difference is going to show up depending on where I buy.

*Splinter

Don't really care to be honest. Worst case its a whole £1 a month extra, which is frankly trivial in this current economic climate where on practically any shopping trip for daily essentials, a far bigger difference is going to show up depending on where I buy.
It's a 25% increase. That's probably bigger than most price increases you'll see this year.

Ganondolf

just wait till online store do sales instead of buying them full price from psn.

I have never spent more than £30 and the last one I bought was £25.

Alpende

The optimist in me wants to think we'll get better games from the IGC, but that's probably not gonna happen. I think I'll keep my membership as I want to play online.

EmiPrime

just wait till online store do sales instead of buying them full price from psn.

That makes too much sense. Got to make sarcastic "4 the players" posts on GAF while wasting money on the auto-renew price.

Boke1879

Lol. Get to fuck Sony. IGC has been poor this year too. And remember people if you still want access to your IGC then you still need plus. All round a piss take.
Defence force will be strong for this one.

Price goes up. Ya either cancel or you don't. We had the same thread when this happened in the US. Subs increased. I doubt the yearly subscription is that much of a burden for people.

Wait, people actually pay retail price for Plus and Gold??

Why don't you just stock up on Black Friday?
Just want to point out that while that's good for some regions, this simply doesn't work elsewhere for PlayStation Plus. When I was an Xbox Live member (it may have changed since) there was no issue in doing this since deals online were available rather plentifully, deals could regularly be found, and as far as I recall the precise region didn't matter (if it did it was easier to find Irish codes, but I can vaguely remember buying UK codes).

On PS+, retail stores don't tend to regularly (it would be rare) discount Playstaion Plus Subscriptions, online stores stocking Irish cards are rare and since we have to use Amazon.co.uk (which stocks UK codes that don't work in Ireland) discounts can be very tricky to find. If the codes were locked by continent it would be easier to find a deal and I would agree that it would be more sensible to stock up on discounts, but when they are locked in an even more restrictive way there are some places where deals are not easy to find (now admittedly I've only been a PS+ member a very short time, because for me the service was never truly worth the cost and I've only bought it hesitantly after getting a PS4 to play online, so it's possible I have just been unable to find a very cheap source of subscriptions online or cheap deals on irish codes, but I have tried to keep an eye-out for them and I simply cannot remember a regular or consistent deal on them).

Edit: I see there's also another thread on the matter so I'm unsure of perhaps this is more appropriate for that thread which seems more general than the Uk, but either way this strategy is problematic in certain areas.

Given the current economic climate £50 is more than i'm prepared to pay for what PS+ offers me. I'd rather have the £50 in my pocket to be honest. I'm sure there'll be enough people who consider it value enough to keep their subscriptions but it's hard to justify for me even though i could afford it if i wanted to. I still have a month to look about for cheapo uk codes so if i find any i may get a couple to tide me over otherwise i'll let it lapse and resub if there's anything compelling available at a later date.

*Splinter

If the base price is going up (especially by such a margin) it's likely the sale price will also be higher than before.

Saiyan-Rox

Lucky i bought the 15 month sub from prime day so I'm good till 2019 but unless the games selection gets way better I'll not be renewing

Lol no way can Sony justify PSN being more expensive than Xbox Live, it's like a third of the service. This is nothing more than abuse of market position.

So, mere weeks after they refuse to allow cross-platform play on Rocket League and Minecraft, Sony jacks up the prize of their sub-par service.

I miss the PS3-era Sony.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Was considering letting mine expire, now I definitely will.

Isn't worth the money for me.

Honestly I would pay 10 pounds for online gaming standalone. I dont need their "free" games.What I want to play I buy it.

Free games aren't part of the price of Xbox Live and PS+, they're incentives to keep you subscribed. Xbox Live was expensive before free games came into the equation.

EmiPrime

If the base price is going up (especially by such a margin) it's likely the sale price will also be higher than before.

Probably but I am paid up for the next 2 years, I can wait for the right deal. Even with a slight price increase on sale prices I am sure PS+ will pay for itself thanks to the digital discounts.

*Splinter

Free games aren't part of the price of Xbox Live and PS+, they're incentives to keep you subscribed. Xbox Live was expensive before free games came into the equation.
Sure they are. Free games are a part of the PS+ service, and the price is for the entirety of that service.

I suspect the poster you were replying to will pay much more than £10 for the online portion though :p (I'm assuming they currently pay £40, apologies if that's a misinterpretation).

Ushay

Compared to £39.99 on LIVE, you better be bringing better service and games Sony.

I can why they would do this with the majority of Cod etc gamers on their platform, but this won't go down well.

Mr Moose

Well shit...

Time to get some £35 12 month codes.

They'd better have a good reason for that price increase and not just "we want more money".

They'd better have a good reason for that price increase and not just "we want more money".

They don't have to provide a reason. Both companies have their customers by their balls ever since they locked online multiplayer behind the subscription. Most gamers today enjoy online-based games, publishers are moving rapidly towards a "games as a service" future so these gamers have no choice but to pay the subscription. Both companies will keep raising the price, boiling frog-style, and there's nothing that can be done.

Shahed

Well i was already pretty sure not to renew when it ran out since I barely play online, and the PS+ games and sales haven't been good enough to warrant an extension. This just confirms it unless they add something really worthwhile

Footos22

£0.83 a month if you pay full price which I assume most ppl don't.
And to be honest you're right. It is trivial when I see the savings I make from ps+ discounts.

But then again there comes a point where you just gotta say naaaah.

Should be another tier of ps+ and live where you pay for just online play and don't care about extra random games.

*Splinter

£0.83 a month if you pay full price which I assume most ppl don't.
And to be honest you're right. It is trivial when I see the savings I make from ps+ discounts.

But then again there comes a point where you just gotta say naaaah.

Should be another tier of ps+ and live where you pay for just online play and don't care about extra random games.
What do you think they would charge for that tier though? £40/year? £45?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wait, people actually pay retail price for Plus and Gold??

Why don't you just stock up on Black Friday?

Those deals you guys are always talking about don't really exist here in Sweden AFAIK. I've never seen a PS+ subscription for cheaper than it is on the PS Store. Not sure if it's the same in the rest of Europe.

Boomalla

The price hike was enough to make me cancel my PS+ as i feel it was expensive at £39.99 and now at £49.99 it's a no go SONY. I'll be playing my multiplayer on PC in the future.

Top Bottom