• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think one element of not including the Greens is 99% of the population (including me) doesn't know who the leader is. Even if they poll better than the lib dems I at least know who would be at a debate to represent

Surely that's a reason for, not against, inclusion? If they are capable of garnering around 6-7% of voting intentions and yet a reasonable number of people do not know who their leader is, I'd say that's indicative of the fact the media have been denying them the profile that is proportionate to how well they are performing.

tomtom94

As much as I can't stand the Conservatives as a party, I have to admire Cameron's play here. Either Miliband has to suffer the attack of the Greens live on television, or Cameron survives to the polls without Farage confronting him. There's absolutely no way ITV would run the first debate without Cameron, it'd be ratings suicide (to say nothing of what OFCOM would think about it).

I really do hope OFCOM reconsider, if only to witness the last remaining colour drain from Nick Clegg's face.

I dunno, if there was empty chairing, at least the first would be must watch for that awkward moment.

Or the broadcasters really force his hand and say "fine, we'll invite Boris on instead".

If the Greens make it onto the debates, the broadcasters are going to turn it into a mess.

The debates heavily influenced the last election. But if you have five parties, it pretty much just turns into a war of petty point scoring rather than any time spent on issues.

Then again the Greens are tracking higher than the LDs at the moment. But the LDs are going to recover well this year so...

UKPR has the recent polling figures and despite Clegg being unpopular and despite being in the Coalition government the LDs are still on eight percent. Not a huge number but when the Green and UKIP protest votes melt away as we get into election season there should be a good rally. Hopefully something like 15 or 16 percent.

Anyway, the rhetoric already writes itself.
Greens: Rabble rabble everyone else sucks vague Green policy
LDs and Lab: *throw idiotic Green policy back at Greens*
Tories: can we move seats I don't want to sit next to this loonie
UKIP: *froths from mouth*

Maledict

I don't think they did unfortunately. The collapse at the last minute of the lib dem support back to the traditional parties was one of the biggest disappointments of the last election.

(That and the fact that 22% gets you 50 or so seats, whereas 28% gets you 200+ seats. And then we rejected electoral reform)

I don't think they did unfortunately. The collapse at the last minute of the lib dem support back to the traditional parties was one of the biggest disappointments of the last election.

(That and the fact that 22% gets you 50 or so seats, whereas 28% gets you 200+ seats. And then we rejected electoral reform)

AV was shit.

Imagine if we did it now, think Ukip would back AV out of possible benefit to themselves, or hate it because they're old men who don't like change?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if we did it now, think Ukip would back AV out of possible benefit to themselves, or hate it because they're old men who don't like change?

Farage did support AV and campaigned in favour of it in 2011. UKIP wasn't really that prominent then so it just didn't have much impact.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Too early to conclude that on the basis of a single YouGOV poll, could just be random variation. They also recently changed the way they prompt for UKIP voting intention, so it may simply be a methodological change. We'll have to wait a few polls to find out. Would be depressing if true.

kitch9

Banned
I think one element of not including the Greens is 99% of the population (including me) doesn't know who the leader is. Even if they poll better than the lib dems I at least know who would be at a debate to represent

What do you think the reason you don't know the leader is?

kmag

Does anyone actually think they'd empty chair Cameron if it came to that. There was a US state senate debate where they not only empty chaired a candidate they actually asked the empty lectern questions.

Does anyone actually think they'd empty chair Cameron if it came to that. There was a US state senate debate where they not only empty chaired a candidate they actually asked the empty lectern questions.

tumblr_m9cgjfhjMc1rq5bx3o2_400.gif

If only.

Nicktendo86

Funniest tweet of 2015 goes to fox news

Correction, our news intern misidentified GB leader @David_Cameron as deputy leader @Ed_Miliband.

Edit: fake account, but still funny

Second edit: Well, Dan Hodges is a complete and utter cunt, it was him who re-tweeted the fake account and then I tweeted him to say he falls for fake accounts quite often and asked if he ever thought about checking them first (meant in a joke but the poor lamb must be a bit touchy) he blocked me.

Sorry for doubting anyone, you were right he is a massive bellend.

“In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?” - David Cameron (2015)

Let that quote sit with you for a minute.

f0rk

Are you going to get the full quote or do you want me to do it, because it's not as bad when you don't take out a third of it.

Nicktendo86

So as energy prices start to fall labour have now u-turned on their price freeze, saying it always a cap, not a freeze, despite not being able to produce any documentation that mentions a cap.

The ludicrous, populist nonsense policy is finally starting to unravel.

Too early to conclude that on the basis of a single YouGOV poll, could just be random variation. They also recently changed the way they prompt for UKIP voting intention, so it may simply be a methodological change. We'll have to wait a few polls to find out. Would be depressing if true.

UKIP back down to 15% in today's Yougov poll. Feeling like this a return to the norm.

Jezbollah

So membership numbers are above one party invited to the televised debates, and poll rating another. Cameron's agenda aside, they do need to be part if UKIP and the Lib Dems are too.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Of course they would. They have a big incentive to make sure the debates become a permanent feature of the political campaign season, because they generate big coverage and get people watching, plus allow various aligned media outlets an unprecedented opportunity to frame the debate. They also have a position of power - the American debates only took 16 years to resume because there are 2 candidates for President; if one doesn't show up you have a monologue which nobody will watch. Here, if Cameron refused to turn up and Miliband, Farage, and Clegg all did one as a trio, people would definitely still watch it. That looks really bad for Cameron.

I don't think Cameron can dodge the debates at this point, the question now is simply what format they'll take.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
One day, I'm convinced the editors of the Mail will burst forth from the corridors, shouting 'Aha! Got you!, and admit that the newspaper is actually a satirical parody affair.

One day...

Jezbollah

Daily Mail will Daily Mail... However I just saw the Sunday Times running this story. If the story about the lead up to the financial crash is true, then that just confirms my stance on that party.

I just saw articles on senior Labour party figures being upset over Cameron getting "red carpet treatment" in the US by Obama and co. Are they that fucking thick that they have no comprehension of state visit protocol?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The mental image of Milliband accidentally starting a house fire, panicking, rushing out into the street and buying a prayer mat is far too funny.

As mainstream news coverage it is tragic, though.

Nicktendo86

Daily Mail will Daily Mail... However I just saw the Sunday Times running this story. If the story about the lead up to the financial crash is true, then that just confirms my stance on that party.

I just saw articles on senior Labour party figures being upset over Cameron getting "red carpet treatment" in the US by Obama and co. Are they that fucking thick that they have no comprehension of state visit protocol?
They are, as a party, seem very insecure. Remember how desperate they were to get thier photo op with Obama last year?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They are, as a party, seem very insecure. Remember how desperate they were to get thier photo op with Obama last year?

It is really just natural opposition party stuff, looks so awkward and embarrassing but ultimately meaningless. Obama is popular, of course you want to be associated with him.

jimbor

Banned
Has anybody linked that poll of labour being 5 points ahead? I read it somewhere over the weekend, no idea where. Think UKIP were up too.

Yen

So the NI budget makes for grim reading. Sinn Fein agree to the cuts despite being anti-austerity. SDLP, UUP, Alliance all reject the budget but choose to stay in the Executive.
Even if we have a bloated public sector, I'm not sure mass cuts and a corporation tax race-to-the-bottom with the south is going to change our fortunes.
Around 20,000 jobs are to be cut from Northern Ireland's public sector following a political deal to safeguard power sharing.

The posts will go over the next four years after money was set aside in Stormont's budget for a voluntary exit scheme and freeze on recruitment.

The planned 20,000 jobs reduction represents 10% of the public sector workforce.

An extra £27 million has been set aside to mitigate the worst impact of welfare reform during the next financial year, finance minister Simon Hamilton said.

A dispute between Sinn Fein and the Democratic Unionists over the issue had caused deadlock in the devolved institutions.

A total of £40 million has been set aside for dealing with the past, which includes new mechanisms for investigating past violence, and building a united community.

Ministers have moved swiftly to agree a budget following last month's Stormont House Agreement after weeks of intensive talks between the five main parties hosted by the British and Irish Governments.

Mr Hamilton said: "In many respects, the most difficult decisions on public spending have yet to come.

"No one wants cuts, but I believe that in agreeing this budget we have done the right thing.

"We have accepted the realities facing us and have done what we can to protect and support what is most important to our people," he added.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah read that over the weekend, I've stopped bothering to pay attention to them to be honest.

I've been saying it for years, but swings in polls at any point before ~ a month before an election are worthless except for giving the broadest, general trend of what may happen.

Top Bottom