• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Jezbollah

Here is Chuka doing his best impression of a big girl's blouse

Watch how a heated interview with @ChukaUmunna ended, after he was asked about a letter sent to mosques in England http://t.co/pPnUFOTx83

I actually like Umunna, but wish he had held on for a few seconds rather than go off in a huff. He'll need thicker skin if he is to be a member of the cabinet in the future.

Murnaghan WAS being a prick though.

So the NI budget makes for grim reading. Sinn Fein agree to the cuts despite being anti-austerity. SDLP, UUP, Alliance all reject the budget but choose to stay in the Executive.
Even if we have a bloated public sector, I'm not sure mass cuts and a corporation tax race-to-the-bottom with the south is going to change our fortunes.

Ick. Predictable. Still, this country can't disappoint me any further.

We're in for some tough times.

Wait, the cuts are only now happening? Where I am, I couldn't tell.

EDIT: It also just occurred to me that the DUP are starting to truly realise that they can do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. I hope Robinson dies soon.

So the NI budget makes for grim reading. Sinn Fein agree to the cuts despite being anti-austerity. SDLP, UUP, Alliance all reject the budget but choose to stay in the Executive.
Even if we have a bloated public sector, I'm not sure mass cuts and a corporation tax race-to-the-bottom with the south is going to change our fortunes.

From what I've read things are actually beginning to turn around down south in the Republic so it's quite unfortunate that the North is going backwards.

Since Sinn Fein is actually looking to do very well in next year's elections in Ireland I wonder if the whole anti-austerity thing they have going on is bullshit and they're really just stealth neolibs.

Yen

From what I've read things are actually beginning to turn around down south in the Republic so it's quite unfortunate that the North is going backwards.

Since Sinn Fein is actually looking to do very well in next year's elections in Ireland I wonder if the whole anti-austerity thing they have going on is bullshit and they're really just stealth neolibs.

I know a few diehard Shinners who were totally against the cuts until SF agreed to them, and then suddenly it was The Right Thing To Do.

ROI elections will be pretty interesting, if only because of the rise of both Sinn Fein and the Independents. The latest polling had FG at 24%, SF at 21%, FF at 18% but others/Independents at 28%, so it'll be interesting to see how the coalitions shape up.

So does anyone want to shed light on the much coveted "British values" we hear are under assault all the time?

Imperialism? Worker exploitation? Rampant neoliberalism?

Well Douglas Alexander sounds unexpectedly pro European speaking on behalf of Labour.

"Before David Cameron became prime minister, Britain was at the heart of EU decision-making," he is expected to say.

"Yet when he leaves Downing Street in May, he will have presided over the most significant decline in British influence in Europe for a generation.

"During his time in Downing Street David Cameron has done serious damage to Britain's status in Europe and in turn has diminished our standing in the world.

"The re-election of David Cameron could mark a point of no return for Britain's relations with the EU."

[...]

"Labour believes that the UK will stand taller in Washington, Beijing, Moscow and Delhi when we stand firmly at the heart of the EU," he will add. "The idea that our influence in world capitals would grow as our influence in Europe diminished is not just a Eurosceptic fantasy, but a post-imperial delusion".

via the BBC

Also
Meanwhile, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said he will quit if the UK votes to stay in the EU in a future referendum.

kmag

My god, just read James Blunt's open letter to Chris Bryant. Amazing deconstruction of the class envy twat. Staggeringly funny.

The thing is that Bryant is pretty much just as 'privileged' as Blunt is. Harrow, Oxford etc. At least Blunt didn't 'liberate' nearly £100,000 in expenses.

kmag

I actually like Umunna, but wish he had held on for a few seconds rather than go off in a huff. He'll need thicker skin if he is to be a member of the cabinet in the future.

Murnaghan WAS being a prick though.

Despite it looking bad, in terms of substance it was pretty refreshing for a politician to refuse an obvious bandwagon jumping opportunity/ or the opportunity to say something meaningless and bland and instead stick to his guns.

Nicktendo86

Chilcot enquiry findings delayed until after the election after lobbying by those who will be criticised.

Disgraceful.

Edit: just read a tweet saying labour are on a five year yougov low tonight, awaiting the actual figures...

Here we go

Tonights YouGov Poll:
Conservative 32
Labour 30 -2
Liberal Democrat 8
UKIP 15
Green 10 +3
Other 5 -1

Chilcot enquiry findings delayed until after the election after lobbying by those who will be criticised.

Disgraceful.

Edit: just read a tweet saying labour are on a five year yougov low tonight, awaiting the actual figures...

Here we go

Tonights YouGov Poll:
Conservative 32
Labour 30 -2
Liberal Democrat 8
UKIP 15
Green 10 +3
Other 5 -1

Yeah read that over the weekend, I've stopped bothering to pay attention to them to be honest.
Unless they suit your narrative?
;)

Jezbollah

If the results into the inquiry is ready, it needs to be released.

Greens extending their lead over the Lib Dems? How long before they poll higher than UKIP?

Nicktendo86

Unless they suit your narrative?
;)
Lol just goes to show how up and down they are and as such how difficult they are to extract anything useful. The main opposition having its lowest rating in 5 years 4 months from a general election is interesting though...

Also the strong green showing reinforces the argument they should be included in debates, especially if ukip are.

Walshicus

Watching the House of Commons now. Don't want to be one of those people who obsess over fashion or image... But not sure the home secretary does herself any favours dressing in the style of Cruella de Vil.

Good article on the Green Surge in the Guardian

Olivia is not alone. She is one of 13,274 people who joined the Green Party of England and Wales in the last week, taking its total membership – which excludes independent Green parties in Scotland and Northern Ireland – to more than 46,000. The Lib Dems, by comparison, have 44,526 members; Ukip, 41,943. If the Greens’ growth rate were to continue, they would overtake the Tories (on around 134,000 members) toward the middle of March, and Labour (190,000) by the general election.

link

Maledict

As soon as any article extrapolates numbers like that I automatically ignore it. It's one of the most stupid, lazy tricks to pull in journalism.

And if I wasn't so stupid and lazy myself, I'd dig up the very relevant XKCD comic showing that!

I know a few diehard Shinners who were totally against the cuts until SF agreed to them, and then suddenly it was The Right Thing To Do.

ROI elections will be pretty interesting, if only because of the rise of both Sinn Fein and the Independents. The latest polling had FG at 24%, SF at 21%, FF at 18% but others/Independents at 28%, so it'll be interesting to see how the coalitions shape up.

Sinn Fein will never make a government here. Trust me. Only reason they've got any attention here recently is water charges BS.

Never thought I would cheer on the Sun, but it was an epic troll of those idiot people who want to kill of Page 3. If women want to get their kit off and there is demand for it, then they should be allowed to do so, these so-called feminists haven't got a clue.

As soon as any article extrapolates numbers like that I automatically ignore it. It's one of the most stupid, lazy tricks to pull in journalism.

And if I wasn't so stupid and lazy myself, I'd dig up the very relevant XKCD comic showing that!

The next paragraph after that one is just for you.
In standard political conditions, I would now express doubt about whether either of those scenarios will come to pass, but these days, you never know. What the Greens’ membership surge illustrates, after all, is a new kind of politics, largely driven by social media, in which unforeseen developments can take shape at lightning speed, in complete defiance of the usual rules.

extrapolating.png

Dambrosi

Banned
Never thought I would cheer on the Sun, but it was an epic troll of those idiot people who want to kill of Page 3. If women want to get their kit off and there is demand for it, then they should be allowed to do so, these so-called feminists haven't got a clue.
I never thought I'd agree with you or defend Murdoch in any way, but...yes?

I'll never cheer on the S*n, though. REMEMBER THE 96

kharma45

20,000 jobs won't be hard to shed. Recently there was a voluntary redundancy scheme in the Housing Association to let 200 go and 800 applied from whatever area they were cutting. There are lots and lots in the NICS just waiting for a package.

Fuck the 96, Bojo hit the nail on the head when it came to Liverpool.

Not a fucking chance, liverpudlian loathing and mistrust of westminster and the media has proven to be correct time and time again. Especially the past couple of years with all the phone hacking, child molestation, coverups and downright unpleasent shit that wouldn't look out of place in a Marquis de Sade novel.

jimbor

Banned
Not a fucking chance, liverpudlian loathing and mistrust of westminster and the media has proven to be correct time and time again. Especially the past couple of years with all the phone hacking, child molestation, coverups and downright unpleasent shit that wouldn't look out of place in a Marquis de Sade novel.

It's not the loathing and mistrust Of Westminster but the wallowing on victimhood that I was referring to. Nothing is ever a scouser's fault.

Nicktendo86

Right on. Whatever you think of the sun (and a lot of the time they are a scumbag paper) if you don't like something, don't buy it. Telling women they cannot model in a paper is ludicrous, we should be empowering women by working on income equality and such, not worrying about tits in a paper.

Besides, should we not ban the diet coke adverts? They objectify men and portray a body image that is unrealistic for most men. What is so special about page 3? Where is the line drawn?

Anyways, in other words Leon Brittan has died. Good riddance.

Dambrosi

Banned
Fuck the 96, Bojo hit the nail on the head when it came to Liverpool.
It's not the loathing and mistrust Of Westminster but the wallowing on victimhood that I was referring to. Nothing is ever a scouser's fault.
Did a Scouser rape your mum or something? smfh

Quite right, mate. Mind you, us Liverpudlians were always a radical lot.

Not quite this radical, though: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/drugs-brothels-al-qaeda-and-the-beyonce-tax-the-green-party-plan-for-britain/ar-AA8noXS?srcref=rss

Critics call the party’s adherents “watermelons” – green on the outside, deepest red on the inside.

It’s not quite right.

Karl Marx and his pupils championed economic growth and personal consumption: five year plans, tractor factories and fridges for all. The row, for them, was whether the planned economy was a stronger engine than the free market.

The Greens want something very different.

Caroline Lucas and colleagues regard economic growth as incompatible with protecting the planet and a fulfilling personal life.

While their rivals recognise more trade, more innovation, more competition and more globalisation as an engine for prosperity for everyone on the planet, the Greens argue it is nothing more than a race to the bottom that has made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and pillaged the environment.

The party’s manifesto argues for zero, or even negative growth and falling levels of personal consumption. Britain would be in permanent recession; families would become materially poorer each year. After centuries of growing global connectivity, the Greens want to see greater national self-reliance.

Cottage industries, allotments and co-operatives are good. Banks, supermarkets, multi-national companies and resource extraction are very, very bad.

And while Labour and the Tories compete on job creation, the Greens argue that government policy should make paid work “less necessary”, with people making their living from the home-based “informal economy” of sharing and barter.
WOW. With policies like that, the "Vegitarianism For All" directive, and allowing people to legally join Al-Qaeda and the Real IRA, I don't mind if they're never allowed on the debates, to be honest.

jimbor

Banned
Did a Scouser rape your mum or something? smfh

Quite right, mate. Mind you, us Liverpudlians were always a radical lot.

Not quite this radical, though: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/drugs-brothels-al-qaeda-and-the-beyonce-tax-the-green-party-plan-for-britain/ar-AA8noXS?srcref=rss

WOW. With policies like that, the "Vegitarianism For All" directive, and allowing people to legally join Al-Qaeda and the Real IRA, I don't mind if they're never allowed on the debates, to be honest.

Rape my mum? Stay classy.

Nicktendo86

Having spent a lot of time in Liverpool due to work I would say scousers are an incredibly funny lot that I love to have a laugh and joke with in a bit shit city that doesn't have much going on.

Dambrosi

Banned
Rape my mum? Stay classy.
Well, you act like you have some unfathomable hatred for us Liverpudlians, probably born from some horrifying blood curse from the depths of Silent Hill.

Yeah, maybe I should have typed "pissed in your beer" instead, but that didn't have the necessary subtext of "either one of your family members was grossly wronged by a Scouser in a way that they can never truly recover from, or there's something wrong with you" about it.

jimbor

Banned
Well, you act like you have some unfathomable hatred for us Liverpudlians, probably born from some horrifying blood curse from the depths of Silent Hill.

Yeah, maybe I should have typed "pissed in your beer" instead, but that didn't have the necessary subtext of "either one of your family members was grossly wronged by a Scouser in a way that they can never truly recover from, or there's something wrong with you" about it.

Ah, the famous scouse wit I've heard so much about.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah, the famous scouse wit I've heard so much about.
I'm afraid that I am hardly indicative of scouse wit.

Anyway, isn't this going off-topic? If you want to continue this fascinating political discussion, Jim, I suggest we take it to PM. I'd rather use this thread to talk about how both UKIP and the Greens are fucking nuts.

Empty

it does annoy me a little that the green party is more about being orthodox social democratic alternative to labour than focusing on environmental issues. they seem more interested in pandering to naive people on twitter who believe we could have a perfect society if someone in government just magically realized they could claim a hundred billion from tax evasion from corporations and rich people, than putting environmental issues back on the table.

i realize they'd be pillored as one-dimensional if they did the exact opposite, but it feels like ukip are better at unifying a whole range of populist nonsense under a scapegoat of the eu. the more coverage they get the more people take seriously the idea of leaving the eu, the more exposure the greens get still no-one cares about climate change outside of window dressing as a nice thing to seem concerned about.

Dambrosi

Banned
it does annoy me a little that the green party is more about being orthodox social democratic alternative to labour than focusing on environmental issues. they seem more interested in pandering to naive people on twitter who believe we could have a perfect society if someone just magically realized they could claim a hundred billion from tax evasion from corporations and rich people, than putting environmental issues back on the table.

i realize they'd be pillored as one-dimensional if they did the exact opposite, but it feels like ukip are better at unifying a whole range of populist nonsense under a scapegoat of the eu. the more coverage they get the more people take seriously the idea of leaving the eu, the more exposure the greens get still no-one cares about climate change outside of window dressing as a nice thing to seem concerned about.
We just need a massive fuck-off hurricane and flooding, just to get climate change back in the news. Then the Greens can nick some rural votes. A wee chilly spell like the last week just won't cut it.

As for UKIP, thankfully most of their voter base will be dead from old age soon enough. Like Leon Brittan. You'll forgive me if I don't shed any tears for the odious little troll.

Top Bottom